Homeless guy talks about social disconnection in America

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Homeless guy talks about social disconnection in America

Post by Rock »

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Homeless guy talks about social disconnection in America

Post by Winston »

Homeless guy talks about social disconnection in america and how people dont want relationships with others anymore. Very sad and true. Too bad he doesnt know about happier abroad. I posted the link to HA in the comments section.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Homeless guy talks about social disconnection in america and how people dont want relationships with others anymore. Very sad and true. Too bad he doesnt know about happier abroad. I posted the link to HA in the comments section.
Winston, post your comment here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfU8TUZRtZg

This seems to be the original vid w over 1.8 mn views. The one I posted must just be a copy of it w just a handful of views.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Winston wrote:Homeless guy talks about social disconnection in america and how people dont want relationships with others anymore. Very sad and true. Too bad he doesnt know about happier abroad. I posted the link to HA in the comments section.
Would someone help this fellow if he was in China?
Would he get lots of friends and connections even though he is broke or would he be treated like bad karma?
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

He makes some good points, but how would knowing about happier abroad help this poor guy? He had no cash, even if by an act of Good he got the 900 or so USD to fly to Manila what then?
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
zerowing1
Freshman Poster

Post by zerowing1 »

I actually saw that video yesterday, I don't know if HA would be solution for him; I think he mentioned in the video that he's married. But he could at least teach English abroad and make a living. :|
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Social disconnection, economic hardship, and the fact that it's easy to hit rock bottom overnight in America, are perfect examples of America rapidly becoming a third world country; and I've seen areas in the U.S. of Gay that are poorer and more ghetto than anything I've seen in Mexico.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

OutWest wrote:
Would he get lots of friends and connections even though he is broke or would he be treated like bad karma?
If he was chinese and had family and relatives there, then yes. In other countries people have support networks. If they hit rock bottom they have help. But not in USA of course where no one cares about you. Thats the difference.

Even in the Philippines, half the people are unemployed yet they have food and shelter and are not starving.

But anyway, this homeless man was not complaining that no one would help him financially. He was complaining that all his high school friends on facebook refuse to call him or meet up. He was complaining that people no longer want relationships with others anymore. Didnt you watch the video?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

El_Caudillo wrote:He makes some good points, but how would knowing about happier abroad help this poor guy? He had no cash, even if by an act of Good he got the 900 or so USD to fly to Manila what then?
There are many broke expats in Asia. They find ways. Some are homeless yeah. But hey, if half the people in the Philippines can live on zero income, then why cant expats too? There are survival tactics that such people have.

OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Winston wrote:
OutWest wrote:
If he was chinese and had family and relatives there, then yes. In other countries people have support networks. If they hit rock bottom they have help. But not in USA of course where no one cares about you. Thats the difference.

Even in the Philippines, half the people are unemployed yet they have food and shelter and are not starving.

But anyway, this homeless man was not complaining that no one would help him financially. He was complaining that all his high school friends on facebook refuse to call him or meet up. He was complaining that people no longer want relationships with others anymore. Didnt you watch the video?
Winston

You are saying that this poor fellows experience is typical for the USA? You grew up in the USA but seem to have little knowledge of experience other than your own. Do you think your particular upbringing isolated you in the USA?

Your own family has helped you out considerably over the years. This kind of thing happens with millions of other non Chinese in the USA as well. It's not just economics I'm talking about. Facebook of course, is a fake community.
Do you really think that the average person in the USA would say, "No one cares about me at all. " ?

With a Chinese national family staying with us as guests right now, what strikes me is how similar their concerns are to most Americans and Filipinos as well. With only a few weeks in China, I can't observe much, howecer, in Kunming a few years back, we were in a restaurant with an open patio by the sidewalk. Right on the sidewslk, in front of about 50 patrons, this young man began beating the hell out of this teenage girl.
Not a single customer even seemed to notice, much less care. In a rash, Yankee kind of way, I stepped outside and stopped the beating. We ended up taking her to a doctor to get fixed up. We are in touch with this family to this day.
Is this pretend not to notice typical?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Outwest,
I don't understand your point. Are you claiming most Americans are not lonely and experience good social life and social connection? I doubt it. Loneliness is taboo. So most people who are lonely are not going to admit it or complain about it publicly. It's taboo to be lonely. Admitting it makes you look like a loser. We all know that. Why are you ignorant of this?

Even US government statistics show that one out of four Americans nowadays claim to have no one to talk to and no friends to confide in. Remember? We mentioned this many times in the forum.

starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

I agree with Winston, family, friends support makes up for less money in Asia during hard times.

I only heard, read living with parents, brothers, friends is an issue from the western folks.

Social Security net, 401k, dollars cannot save Americans from living off the streets, when a less talented, poor Indian would have a roof in his parents home. India is 1.3 billion..like 4 times bigger than America in people, so homelessness is less compared to the size with the kind of economy America like to boast off.

Always the excuse America has is ....he was into drugs, or a criminal with petty crimes...but What I don't understand is..how come his parents won't take him in...In India even drug addicts, criminals live with there parents and only move once married or moving to city for work.

Most Indians becomes homeless due to extreme weather conditions and forced to move out of their village due to drought.

and YES. Feeding a homeless is NOT A CRIME in India like in America. You can freely give money, food to anyone in India without worry.

For some reason, I feel more bad for homeless people in America than India because of COLD i guess...There are no -5 degrees in India...The temperature is more tolerable in Asia.

America is the worst place on earth to be homeless.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Look at the way the creditor class has inflated all the real estate over the last 50 years and at the same time you lost your property rights and taxes have exploded to the state.

Thomas Jefferson told us over 200 years ago " if you allow the banks to issue the currency our children will end up homeless ", I am sure everything is fine and dandy in China however because they respect peoples property rights....... :roll:
Time to Hide!
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

Because everyone has to be a SUPERstar in America. America is too proud to let her guard down. Anyone has to be an INDIVIDUAL. ... do best to lose this 'facade' attitude. As it was bullshit to begin with, is always bullshit....and will always be. The stink of "poser" is so strong in America, and is responsible for all of the broke, insecure pathetic wannabes who walk around and talk like they have all nice jobs, houses, nice cars...are happy and secure and everythings perfect. Very few are actually like this. How did they get like this? Hard work and following dreams...its really not that hard, it is simple.

The USA is a terrible place to be if you don't really understand this. It can make you feel really insecure. Even if you do understand it.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

On top of it, pressure downward overhead .....can make you feel real scared, anxious and pathetic. Which makes you try and do things to 'fit in' so you feel not "left behind". This is terrible because it takes away from your dreams. Anything that takes away from your dreams is bad, and not helpful...

Happy people are happy with what they've got. And a content person is in the situation to make calm collected decisions which will further their contentedness, this is the basic thing. If someone's on their toes all the time, feeling inferior or insecure... this is a powerful demotivator; this person will do anything to avoid feeling or being seen this way...their life becomes about this not about getting ahead or being content or the actual aquisition of property, wealth etc., Have you ever seen really happy wealthy or succesful people? I have ... and I wondered how they got that way so easily. They just drive to succeed amd they are positive.

I believe it's as easy as following your own heart and dreams. Be joyful, and contentedness and gratitude will absolutely follow... as they have to. Then, you are rich already, get it and the rest follows; get out of this mindset of fear/anxiety.
It will get you nowhere...and is a mass panic. Just focus on you. Don't care if you have to go live with family, I love my family and want to go to PA just so I can spend some more time with them.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.