T.C. Locke

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

T.C. Locke

Post by yick »

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 0/202790/1

Interesting story indeed, T.C. Locke's 'happier abroad' experiences included giving up American citizenship and partaking in two years military conscription in the Taiwanese army. He wrote a book about it.

Two questions = would you do the same as T.C. Locke if you wanted to give up your home citizenship to take on the passport of a country that had mandatory military service, I would personally. I am too old now to be any good but I would still give it a go, you haven't lived until you have done a twenty odd mile route march and

How do you think Winston would have changed if he had to do two years military service in the ROC army - would it have made a man of him? :lol:

I think it would do Winnie the world of good to do it now in my opinion, take his mind off his libido for a year or two... come out looking buff, win-win in my opinion. :twisted:
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: T.C. Locke

Post by Rock »

yick wrote:http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 0/202790/1

Interesting story indeed, T.C. Locke's 'happier abroad' experiences included giving up American citizenship and partaking in two years military conscription in the Taiwanese army. He wrote a book about it.

Two questions = would you do the same as T.C. Locke if you wanted to give up your home citizenship to take on the passport of a country that had mandatory military service, I would personally. I am too old now to be any good but I would still give it a go, you haven't lived until you have done a twenty odd mile route march and

How do you think Winston would have changed if he had to do two years military service in the ROC army - would it have made a man of him? :lol:

I think it would do Winnie the world of good to do it now in my opinion, take his mind off his libido for a year or two... come out looking buff, win-win in my opinion. :twisted:
1. Yes I would. In fact I came very close to naturalizing in Taiwan. I did everything required except provide the certificate of renunciation from my de-facto embassy there. I decided not to give up my USA citizenship because I was concerned about possibly being limited on the amount of time I could spend in USA when my parents get older. I think Taiwan tourists can only stay 6 months per year in USA though I may be wrong on that. Since I still have a Taiwan PR, I am allowed to live and work there with almost no restrictions.

2. I think Winston would have hated Taiwan military service. And I'm not sure it would have necessarily gotten him into shape. Many of the assignments are dreary and boring (guard service, being stationed in some remote base, etc.). I think most people do not take it seriously like they would have back in the KMT power monopoly days when military threat from mainland China was taken seriously. Also, the maximum age for mandatory military service is 36. If you naturalize from 37 up, you are exempt.

3. Winston is lucky enough to have the best of both worlds. He got his passport after age 36 I believe and was not forced to renounce USA citizenship since he's Taiwanese by birth. On the other hand, I believe Falcon is in a more difficult spot since he's still in 20s. If I remember right, he has not acquired citizenship there and will probably wait til he's older to avoid the military.