Duterte: Arrest erring taxi drivers for swindling - Great

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Duterte: Arrest erring taxi drivers for swindling - Great

Post by starchild5 »

This has been one of the biggest issue for tourists and locals alike...

Problem Solved. Finally :)

Duterte: Arrest erring taxi drivers for swindling, estafa

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/12/29/16/d ... ing-estafa

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday advised the riding public to start reporting erring taxi drivers to the police.

"Kayong kinukolektahan ng more than the usual or exorbitant fares, do not go to the LTFRB [ Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board], you go to the police," Duterte said.
In an interview with PTV, the president said taxi drivers who charge exorbitant amounts could be liable for estafa.

"I am ordering the police to arrest them. For what? Estafa. That's a crime, swindling," he added.
While Duterte admitted that taxi drivers were among those vocal in supporting his bid for the presidency, he said he wants to "instill discipline."

"I am not trying to scare you," Duterte told taxi drivers. "I am just trying to put sense into your heads."
Duterte also advised taxi drivers to petition the government to increase taxi rates instead of overcharging passengers.

"There are rates prescribed by government. If drivers are not happy with the amount, all they have to do is to petition the government for a higher fare."
JohnDoeBigBaller
Freshman Poster

Re: Duterte: Arrest erring taxi drivers for swindling - Grea

Post by JohnDoeBigBaller »

Duterte is GOD! This is a problem especially in Asia. Taxi drivers and rickshaw drivers and tuktuk drivers try to f***ing cheat you and overcharge you. Thank god someone has finally decided to do soemthing about this. Taxi/rickshaw drivers are the worst f***ing people, they are the rudest assholes and quite frankly I wish Duterte would have them all shot.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

JohnDoeBigBaller wrote:Duterte is GOD! This is a problem especially in Asia. Taxi drivers and rickshaw drivers and tuktuk drivers try to f***ing cheat you and overcharge you. Thank god someone has finally decided to do soemthing about this. Taxi/rickshaw drivers are the worst f***ing people, they are the rudest assholes and quite frankly I wish Duterte would have them all shot.
Drug dealers, drug addicts and now taxi-drivers. Can we add western feminists to that list? Get Duterte hired I say! :)
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

Post by gravity25x »

Zambales wrote:
JohnDoeBigBaller wrote:Duterte is GOD! This is a problem especially in Asia. Taxi drivers and rickshaw drivers and tuktuk drivers try to f***ing cheat you and overcharge you. Thank god someone has finally decided to do soemthing about this. Taxi/rickshaw drivers are the worst f***ing people, they are the rudest assholes and quite frankly I wish Duterte would have them all shot.
Drug dealers, drug addicts and now taxi-drivers. Can we add western feminists to that list? Get Duterte hired I say! :)
I'm seriously starting to like Duterte. I honestly don't believe there is any hope for America (regardless of what Trump will do), but the Philippines? Why not?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

This was one of the biggest issues i had in Manila, dealing with low life taxi drivers...when you are with a Date and the Taxi guy acts like he does not have a change, you can't confront him as the date will think you are cheap...and these guys know..so you give him free tip for being an aHole :D ..not any more 8) 8)
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

1. I've noticed a gradual and significant improvement in the way taxi drivers in Metro Manila behave. My hypothesis is that part of it has to do with uber/grab and part of it general economic development in the NCR and rising expectations of general population. Duterte will be the final nail in the coffin for most of the bad element of drivers.

2. If you go to Davao, it's rare that a driver will try to overcharge you or fail to make change thanks to Duterte effect which is strong there. But it did happen once at Davao airport a driver tried to demand a fixed inflated fare instead of using meter. I scolded him, grabbed my date to exit car, and went to taxi right behind him.

3. In Metro Manila, I still don't expect drivers to make change though. I generally hoard 20s, 50s, and 100s when I shop at grocery stores, 7-11s, or restos by often handing them 1,000 notes and letting them give me change. So I'm generally equipped to pay right fare. However, if meter says 70+, I usually just hand them 100, if it's 120 something, I'll give em' 140 or 150. If traffic was very bad or it was extremely hard to get a cab, I will proactively add 50 or even 100 or more to meter. Sometimes I will just negotiate a fare upfront in dire conditions. I once spent over 3 hours in a cab going from my condo to NAIA 3 which is just 7.5 km due to it being a Friday evening and having torrential rain. I gave added several hundred to the meter in that case cus I don't want the driver to get cheated either.

4. I hope Duterte also goes after snatchers, hold-uppers, pick-pocketers at one end and the corrupt execs in some of the teleco/internet, construction, and other big business oligarchs at other end. A new sheriff is in town and he's here to clean things up. Watch out.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

gravity25x wrote:
Zambales wrote:
I'm seriously starting to like Duterte. I honestly don't believe there is any hope for America (regardless of what Trump will do), but the Philippines? Why not?
Unfortunately some can't read between the lines and label Duterte as some evil despot when actually he's trying to improve the Philippines.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Zambales wrote:Unfortunately some can't read between the lines and label Duterte as some evil despot when actually he's trying to improve the Philippines.
Despite the mass movement that brought Duterte to power, vast swathes of Filipino society are so used to believing to the usual standards of political communication, that they place far more weight on what a politician says than what they do.

With Digong, they have admittedly got a tough one: a President who talks a lot, often with clear wisdom, often in riddles, often without actually making much sense. But also an extremely factual President. Just yesterday I was at the City Hall for the Torotot Festival. Fireworks are banned across the entire Davao municipality, so people make noise instead. There were fewer people I had expected, cheering and blowing torotots, a couple thousand tops. So that's the narrative mainstream news sources will report: another underwhelming, boring and low-tone festive season in Davao. Then one looks at the statistics: like every year, the Philippines have recorded 750 to 900 casualties related to firecrackers. Half of them are in Metro Manila. Davao has, as always, zero casualties. That is millions pesos saved in emergency healthcare costs. A saving that adds up to savings procured by the total smoke bans in all public places.

One can decide to go as deep as they want into the Duterte dialectic style. They will find whatever they want: diamonds, dirt, or absolutely nothing. They can bend it and twist it to their heart's content. Even Duterte got finally resigned to the volatility of his fellow countrymen, those countrymen is serving with the same effectiveness, sharpness and humility he used to serve Davaoenos. "Let them think whatever they want, I don't care". What he forgot to add, perhaps because it was obvious, or perhaps aware that smart and good hearted people already know:

"Let them judge me by the facts".

Every time I speak to Manilenos they say Manila is 30-50% better off now with Duterte. Borderline masa/middle class areas are safer, cleaner, with more policemen and traffic wardens deployed. Bureaucracy at City Hall has gone from a month to 3 working days, just like in Davao (surprise surprise). Troubled and troublesome kids loitering the streets have gone and moms can let their children go to school unaccompanied, something that was unthinkable until a few months ago.

Foreign investment is up, there are no fewer than 24 large projects already in the pipeline. Billions of dollars are pouring from China and Japan, orders of magnitude more of what the US "best friend and ally" has ever committed. Billions of dollars of exports (mainly fresh fruit) have been earmarked by Russia and China. Facts, facts, facts. Cash-generating facts, life-saving and life-changing facts.

And yet, there are people who still want to decipher Duterte instead of looking at what he's doing. Like hiring one of those extremely skilled Polish or Hungarian handymen to refurbish your home, and the complain about their lack of English fluency, instead of looking at the results and how much less they end up charging you.

After all, Filipinos acknowledge that on their own: they complain about the bad because they want some good, and they complain about the good because they expect more good. A level of social immaturity that extends from their family circles (look at how they often treat their OFW members, squeezing them to their last remittance and pasalubong) to the highest echelons of their political discourse.

As Starchild would probably say, God save the Filipinos...from themselves :)
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

He's also a truth teller. Told off that blood thirsty puppet of the plutocracy Obama in no uncertain terms. Count me an attentive fan.

An aside on Obummer -- has anyone noticed some pictures going around the net of Obama face to face with Putin, glaring at him like boxers staging a fake encounter at the weigh-in? Juxtapose that with a montage of several photos that can be found somewhere on the net of Obama in full flame limp-wristed sissy mode, often during (the many) rounds of his pathetic golf game. I'm sure Putin is trembling with intimidation at these poses of the silly little narcissistic faggot, who really can't get off the stage fast enough to suit me.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

gsjackson wrote:He's also a truth teller. Told off that blood thirsty puppet of the plutocracy Obama in no uncertain terms. Count me an attentive fan.
He is, simply, somebody who can read people and is not afraid to read aloud, so to speak. He might see flaws in Putin, everyone is human after all, but he recognises him to be one of the few world leaders who shaped his policy around helping his fellow countrymen, as opposed to enrich the transnational organisations and lobbies.
Randolph
Freshman Poster

Post by Randolph »

Isn't just encouraging people to go out and shoot the local drug dealers a bit much?
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Randolph wrote:Isn't just encouraging people to go out and shoot the local drug dealers a bit much?
I guess it makes drug dealing a poor career choice, right? He is over the top with his bombast and all, but on the ground, he has put a lot of positive changes into play across the entire Philippines in a very short time. His descriptions of Obama were more nuanced and quite accurate! LOL
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Randolph wrote:Isn't just encouraging people to go out and shoot the local drug dealers a bit much?
I guess it makes drug dealing a poor career choice, right? He is over the top with his bombast and all, but on the ground, he has put a lot of positive changes into play across the entire Philippines in a very short time. His descriptions of Obama were more nuanced and quite accurate! LOL
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

But if duerte is gonna do that, he should also do something about the low wages that taxi drivers make and the high cost of their taxi rentals. They told me they have to pay a high rental fee everyday for using the taxi and if they dont get enough fares, they could end up losing money or working for free.

Is that true? Or just a sob story for you to feel sorry for them? Since people always take advantage of others in the Philippines i wouldnt be surprised if it were true. So why would so many filipino men work as taxi drivers if they could end up losing money? That makes no sense and is too much of a risk. Yet you see taxis all over manila.

If its true, then duerte should try to lower their rental cost for the taxi. The taxi companies may also be overcharging the drivers too. Shouldnt duerte do something about that too? After all, it would be the reason why the taxis have to resort to scamming.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Winston wrote:But if duerte is gonna do that, he should also do something about the low wages that taxi drivers make and the high cost of their taxi rentals. They told me they have to pay a high rental fee everyday for using the taxi and if they dont get enough fares, they could end up losing money or working for free.

Is that true? Or just a sob story for you to feel sorry for them? Since people always take advantage of others in the Philippines i wouldnt be surprised if it were true. So why would so many filipino men work as taxi drivers if they could end up losing money? That makes no sense and is too much of a risk. Yet you see taxis all over manila.

If its true, then duerte should try to lower their rental cost for the taxi. The taxi companies may also be overcharging the drivers too. Shouldnt duerte do something about that too? After all, it would be the reason why the taxis have to resort to scamming.
It's pretty standard in all countries that taxi drivers and trike drivers do not own their vehicles and pay a fee to the actual owner. The other day we were in a trike and the driver actually stopped at the owner's place (on the way) and paid him his rental fee. Now does that mean they are at risk of losing money, particularly in a large city - I don't think so.

So yes, it's a sob story and no justification for overcharging.