Had a discussion with my Taiwanese-Canadian acquaintance

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Had a discussion with my Taiwanese-Canadian acquaintance

Post by Bao3niang »

We were discussing early marriage and starting a family early vs. late marriage and late parenthood. For the few of you on here who still know me, you can pretty much guess what my position is. He's pretty much the opposite of me in most significant aspects. He's conformist, admits that he places pressure on himself to become successful because he cares a lot about what society thinks of him. He's going for med school, possibly with the US military at West Point (if he gets in). He's an "Ameriphile", though he talks about pride for his Asian roots here and there. Dismisses Asian women from Asia as "Communists", especially hating mainland Chinese women.

So basically I was reasoning with him on the benefits of early marriage and starting a family early:
-More likely to produce healthy children.
-More years together, to grow together and enjoy life.
-You will become a young grandparent, with more energy remaining.
-The older you are, the more women in the dating scene expect from you.
-Location, location, location.
-It would be selfish to deny your children a greater chance for a healthy and happy life, because the older you are when having them, there more risk there is that they could potentially be born with certain conditions.
-Marrying young means you won't have to worry about having children right away, if the couple chooses not to. More time to prepare.

His points:
-Having kids and not being able to raise them is just as immoral and selfish. It's expensive to raise children. (my rebuttal: Having children does lead to the need for a greater financial capacity, but it depends on where and how you raise them. I wouldn't settle down in a place that's expensive to live in, none of those places are desirable to me anyways, nor would it be desirable for my children to be bombarded by the materialistic, corporate world).
-Young men should focus on careers so that women respect them more. (My rebuttal: A woman that likes you for not who you are, but what you are, why would you want to have anything to do with such a woman? And besides,caring so much about what capitalistic society thinks about you is such a sad way to live your life.)

And basically he wasn't able to come up with anything else other than "it's not time yet, and I won't be considering anything serious for quite some years to come." Seeing that this discussion was about to turn into a verbal spar, I changed topics.

My situation: Immigrated to Canada at the age of 5, returned to China at the age of 11 and lived there for 6 years. Abused in a matriarchal household. Biological parents were 26 and 31 when I was born. Currently back in Anglosphere hell but will escape in 2 years.

His situation: Immigrated at age of 3, has never lived in Asia since, Not for any extended period of time. Fairly normal family, parents married in mid-20s but he wasn't born until they were both 36. Westernized, fan of the West, especially the US and Germany.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Re: Had a discussion with my Taiwanese-Canadian acquaintance

Post by Bao3niang »

I'm absolutely pro-Asian women in Asia (though not all groups), he told me he'd only consider the ones from a western background. Somewhat into whites as well though not as much as before.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Re: Had a discussion with my Taiwanese-Canadian acquaintance

Post by onethousandknives »

I know a doctor that seemed to marry and have children late. Seemed fairly happy, living the educated white liberal dream living in a million dollar house. The only caveat for him? He's about 70 and his wife is about 50-55 now. So your friend could just be planning on that without outright saying it. I'd say if you can stay good looking (easy to do as a doctor, get scripts for HRT and HGH/etc) and have a fair amount of money, the age gap won't be a big deal to most women, but it takes one or both of those to overcome it. Of course in his interest in being PC, he probably won't say "Yeah I'll wait until I'm 40 and shack up with a 25 year old wife."

But for me, I do agree with most of your points. One friend I made in Taiwan actually is strangely Western obsessed and spent a lot of time here. He said "Yeah, I want an American girl." I replied "Are you on drugs?" To some extent all this HA thing is grass is greener on the other side thinking, or just wanting what's uncommon/hard for you to get, because it's human nature.

I've learned not to really disrupt the blue pill taking people. Some people are just perfectly happy living that kind of life, and indeed, they might in fact have a good life and not like another life. It's sort of one man's heaven is another man's hell kind of thing. Some people think eating pho in Vietnam is heaven. Most people in USA you meet would think it's hell and would rather eat Burger King. I could say they're dumb for wanting Burger King, and maybe they are, but if it makes them happy, then it's not my problem. Just I want the right to pursue my own happiness in my ways I see fit, and I'll give them their right to it as well.