Dieting is easy and makes a bigger difference than lifting

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Nailer
Freshman Poster

Dieting is easy and makes a bigger difference than lifting

Post by Nailer »

I am just on the upper edge of the "healthy" BMI so I decided to go on the first diet of my life. The first 3-4 days sucked as my body adjusted to having less calories, but after that is was actually easy. I don't starve myself to the point of feeling light-headed or being ravenous, but I do always feel hungry enough for a snack, all the time. I am not exercising apart from walking about 1.5 miles a day.

I could eat a f***ing box of cookies right now, but I'm okay.

Today all I ate was chicken salad, but I also drink a lot of beer still. :D

In just a week, my stomach got a lot flatter and my face started changing. My cheek bones are giving just a slight definition beneath them and I look f***ing handsome.

I'm extremely encouraged to get down to the average BMI for my height. Unless you are walking around with your shirt off, I'd say lifting weights is a waste of time. Just losing weight is so much easier, cheaper, faster, and more effective if you want to look good and be healthy.

(This is just an example):

Last edited by Nailer on February 13th, 2017, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Dieting is easy and makes a bigger difference than lifti

Post by Cornfed »

I’m currently dieting down as well. The reason you should lift at the same time is so as to not lose muscle.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Nailer I'm busy pomping it off or nailing her :lol: one of most calorie burning activities on earth. In afrikaans one of theach slang words for sex is Spyker, which means nail :lol:

I'm also riding to a work site 300 km each way tmw. Rising dirt makes you sweat off a few kg and is quite strenuous. You also tend not to eat much and just eat a stick of biltong and lots of water
I've never had a weight problem and have been around 95 kg and in 34 trousers since my rugby days.

I notice how inactive fat people are. We went camping this weekend and all the people just sitting around are fat. There was a 70 yo man very fithe and he said sitting bores him. He went fishing, swimming, cycling. I got on with him as both of us just can't sit there. Stay active and cut back on sugar and junk food and you will stay a fit weight.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

Lower body fat % can improve your face. But muscle definition such as a six pack has little sexual marketing value when you're wearing clothing. One of the few times I agreed with Roosch was when he said looking good naked doesn't matter because by the time you've gotten there, you've already won. As a counter example to dieting, I've gained a significant amount of muscle and fat over the last year and women make positive comments about this. Before I was very skinny.
Nailer
Freshman Poster

Post by Nailer »

If you have a good face, your first priority should be to get down to like 5% body fat. Just losing a few pounds I can see my features popping out and I look like an actor. I am not "fat" by any means, but a tiny bit makes a huge difference.

I have never in my life actually tried to lose weight before, and I don't see what the big deal is or why these fat girls can't do it. At its simplest, all you have to do is lie on the couch and wait, so what's the big deal?
Jeremy
Freshman Poster

Post by Jeremy »

I've been everywhere on the spectrum (as low as 8-ish% and as high as 22-ish%), and it's made zero difference to my dating life. Hookers compliment me more when I'm lean and muscled, but that's it. Most young guys are lean anyway, so it's not even a bonus.

^5% is probably too low for (non-black) men who aren't on gear. I started looking like a cancer patient at my leanest, and generally felt like ass.

The reason women have trouble with their weight is because sweets for them are what sex is for men. A doughnut makes them feel like we feel driving by an all girls Catholic high school on a windy day.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

BF% is useless in practice because there are so many different ways of measuring it and they give different results in one way or another, so that the % numbers people quote cannot be compared.

Unlike women, all men store fat mostly on the mid-section (vs butt, hips, breasts or arms). So all a man needs to do to determine if he is fat is take a shirtless selfie. If a six-pack is clearly visible, he's lean enough. You can also look in the mirror, but people nowadays tend to delude themselves, which is why I recommend a photo.

What women notice most in the way of muscles are shoulders, in my experience, and these are noticeable even clothed. I've had numerous women remark on how big my shoulders are and pat them over the years while ballroom or salsa dancing. Ways to build shoulders include Hindu pushups, shoulderstands, full back bridges (for the posterior deltoid), full side planks (one arm and one leg in the air). I used to do tucked planches as well, which builds monster shoulders, but no longer.

I recommend against targeting pecs, such as with regular pushups, since that results in man boobs later in life, though women also notice pecs (probably because they resemble breasts--many women are as attracted to breasts as cocks, maybe even more so, to where perhaps the main reason they want men sexually is because men make them feel good about their breasts).

Biceps are very easy to build so you might as well do those. Chinups (palm facing body) is the simplest way to work biceps, but pullups (palm facing away from body) also does the job and works lats more. Yoga peacock pose with elbows bent LESS than 90 degrees and pressing into the sides rather than center of the stomach (done wrong, in other words) is a way to work biceps when no pullup bar available. L sits or yoga tolasana pose works lats without a pullup bar.
codemon
Freshman Poster

Post by codemon »

Nailer wrote: I'm extremely encouraged to get down to the average BMI for my height. Unless you are walking around with your shirt off, I'd say lifting weights is a waste of time. Just losing weight is so much easier, cheaper, faster, and more effective if you want to look good and be healthy.
One of the benefits of lifting weights is that the extra muscle burns more calories, improving your metabolism and making it easier to keep the weight off without going hungry as much.