Welcome to our new upgraded phpbb 3.2 forum! The upgrade is now complete. See announcement and new features here, or report any problems or issues here. Thanks for your patience.



Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics


America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

User avatar
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 8101
Joined: August 25th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Location: USA

America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by jamesbond » February 16th, 2017, 2:59 pm

I think everyone here has seen just how disconnected people in America are from one another. People don't talk to their neighbors, everyone hides in their houses and only come out to go to work and to go shopping. Talking to strangers is forbidden and everyone is in their own little world.

No wonder why the US has so many lonely people, it's part of our culture. I think this loneliness can lead to depression and even suicide. The US has one of the highest rates of mental illness in the world and perhaps our "hermit" culture is the reason for this.

Being alone all the time can't possibly be good for a persons physical health or mental health.

I wonder if things were different years ago (like in the 1950's) or was the US always like this?
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."

Nailer
Freshman Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: December 19th, 2016, 1:12 am

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by Nailer » February 16th, 2017, 4:19 pm

It's because of ethnic diversity. You bring in a lot of brown people and suddenly there is no singular culture, so subcultures like school, work, and church take over.
Coming back to life.

gsjackson
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1893
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by gsjackson » February 16th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Yes, things were very different in the '50s and early '60s. When the weather was decent people went outside to interact with their neighbors. A good book on the transformation in the Chicago area is Lost City.

User avatar
starchild5
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2172
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 11:32 am

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by starchild5 » February 17th, 2017, 3:01 am

America is actually lower than some of the Indian Tribes I have encountered during my jungle tours across India.

Its true...Believe it..Its from over 20 years of Observations from various tribes in Third world countries but Americans beat them by far.

Americans are actually if you take out the facade and fake life and some dollars and tall buildings and wide roads and good plumbing system...are lower than these guys from India

Image

Looks like they scanned the entire earth and chose a tribe that has the lowest common Value of any kind and made them "developed" and "Civil"... :D

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5488
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by Adama » February 17th, 2017, 3:14 am

I don't know why you are complaining. If you actually knew what most people were like, you'd be very grateful that you at least get a chance to get away from them. Most people are either sociopaths or have sociopathic tendencies. It is a hard search to find a humble person to be your friend. It always seems to me like there is some invisible competition being waged, whether you're in it to play that game or not. Always looking for a reason to put your friend down in order to exalt themselves, puff themselves up, rather than just letting things be and enjoying life as it is. Unfortunately it seems if you truly want peace, then it comes with loneliness, unless you find that perfect someone.

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5488
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by Adama » February 17th, 2017, 3:16 am

starchild5 wrote:America is actually lower than some of the Indian Tribes I have encountered during my jungle tours across India.

Its true...Believe it..Its from over 20 years of Observations from various tribes in Third world countries but Americans beat them by far.

Americans are actually if you take out the facade and fake life and some dollars and tall buildings and wide roads and good plumbing system...are lower than these guys from India

Image

Looks like they scanned the entire earth and chose a tribe that has the lowest common Value of any kind and made them "developed" and "Civil"... :D
Why are you knocking them? I bet they enjoy their lives more than the first worlders.

Kradmelder
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1716
Joined: September 6th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by Kradmelder » February 17th, 2017, 6:57 am

Nailer wrote:It's because of ethnic diversity. You bring in a lot of brown people and suddenly there is no singular culture, so subcultures like school, work, and church take over.
If you bring in lots of other races whites congregate for self protection and help each other. Where white minorities exist they look out for each other. I would never leave a fellow white stranded at the mercy of darkies.

There are benefits to being a persecuted minority. Whites don't need (k)affirmative action to survive. The cream always rises to the top.

Kradmelder
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1716
Joined: September 6th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by Kradmelder » February 17th, 2017, 7:04 am

Adama wrote:
starchild5 wrote:America is actually lower than some of the Indian Tribes I have encountered during my jungle tours across India.

Its true...Believe it..Its from over 20 years of Observations from various tribes in Third world countries but Americans beat them by far.

Americans are actually if you take out the facade and fake life and some dollars and tall buildings and wide roads and good plumbing system...are lower than these guys from India

Image

Looks like they scanned the entire earth and chose a tribe that has the lowest common Value of any kind and made them "developed" and "Civil"... :D
Why are you knocking them? I bet they enjoy their lives more than the first worlders.
I doubt it. Eating curry every meal and shitting in the street can't be all that pleasant, especially the ring sting when the curry comes out.

retiredfrank
Junior Poster
Posts: 577
Joined: November 23rd, 2014, 4:45 am

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by retiredfrank » February 17th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Adama wrote:I don't know why you are complaining. If you actually knew what most people were like, you'd be very grateful that you at least get a chance to get away from them.
This has always been true, in every society since the beginning of time. Read the ancient Greek philosophers, the Chinese sages, reports of anthropologists who loved among primitive tribes, etc.

Humans are social creatures, so few of us can be happy as true hermits (living deep in the wilderness with zero human contact) but few of us are completely happy around other humans, who are typically a source of constant irritation.

Grass always looks greener on the other side.

Honeymoon period of youthful love might be an exception to the rule that other humans are mostly a PITA, but of course the honeymoon period doesn't last long.

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5488
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by Adama » February 17th, 2017, 3:14 pm

retiredfrank wrote:
Adama wrote:I don't know why you are complaining. If you actually knew what most people were like, you'd be very grateful that you at least get a chance to get away from them.
This has always been true, in every society since the beginning of time. Read the ancient Greek philosophers, the Chinese sages, reports of anthropologists who loved among primitive tribes, etc.

Humans are social creatures, so few of us can be happy as true hermits (living deep in the wilderness with zero human contact) but few of us are completely happy around other humans, who are typically a source of constant irritation.

Grass always looks greener on the other side.

Honeymoon period of youthful love might be an exception to the rule that other humans are mostly a PITA, but of course the honeymoon period doesn't last long.
All you need to do is work around some people who are whispering against you, gossiping about you, trying to ruin your reputation and slander your name, for no reason. Work around those for a few years, and then you'll realize the type of mindset most people have.

Most people aren't the do unto others type, even if they openly state it with their mouths. Most people are the type who search for and dig up reasons to slander other people, so that they can puff up their own egos and feel better about themselves.

And even some of your "friends" (people you thought were your friends before you knew people are all about ego) are sometimes secretly and stealthily plotting against you, behind your back, laughing at your troubles and rejoicing that bad things are happening to you, intentionally offering destructive advice, and trying to socially isolate you by turning others against you. They don't want to see you do well, because it tears up their egos.

For most people, life isn't about doing good to your neighbor, but rather it is about spiritual warfare, using their words to decrease the other person for their own satisfaction and so they can elevate themselves in their own egos. Most people have a god complex and are extremely prideful and cruel. You'll have a hard time making friends who this doesn't apply to, especially in the USA.

User avatar
starchild5
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2172
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 11:32 am

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by starchild5 » February 18th, 2017, 3:23 am

Adama wrote:
Why are you knocking them? I bet they enjoy their lives more than the first worlders.
They are incredibly happy. They are the Gypsies of India.

Just watch this documentary created by a french guy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUYGRn3W9Q[/youtube]

and then read the comment from white people.

Just some of the Americans wrote about these Tribes of India.
I think they have a chance at being happy.. because they do not get mortgage bills,electricity bills,water bills,tax bills , health bills, insurance bills ,college bills ..bills bills bills... and can play around in vast land, bury their dead without paying thousands of dollars and be near one another and have social connections , love and laugh without the worry of getting kicked out of their home, or being institutionalized or arrested for dancing in the street ...they have more than we have..and all for free....we are just slaves....now ! how do I get there?
i am here in america sleeping is a good house, good food, driving a nice car, but not happy at all, they are poor but extremely happy
I can not fathom the quality of this amazing documentary. Quite possibly the BEST documentary I have ever seen or learnt anything about from any culture on Earth in a movie. The colors the vivid faces that can tell a million stories. You sir need to win some sort of Academy like award for your work. This should be shown in movie theaters!
funny how people with so little material are having such a great and enjoyable life in the deserts of a country known of poverty and yet here we are in first world countries with such a low quality of life thinking money can buy happiness.. Would love to throw everything away and learn to live with The truly free people in the deserts.
Just for the sake of it...You should watch it...already has over 7 million views. How people live in different parts of the world.
I doubt it. Eating curry every meal and shitting in the street can't be all that pleasant, especially the ring sting when the curry comes out.
Eating curry and ring sting is way better any day than gangs of blacks robbing your hard earned wealth and you having to waste bullets on them. :)

Sh**ting on the streets can't really be worse than having to deal with blacks everyday...Wanna bet on that :D

Nailer
Freshman Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: December 19th, 2016, 1:12 am

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by Nailer » February 18th, 2017, 3:37 am

I don't hate brown people. It seems like all my best friends are half-something-that-isn't-white. But you should stay in your own f***ing countries and stay out of Europe and North America.

It is a pretty damning indictment of the white race that we have to constantly run away from ourselves. I don't have a very high opinion of most Nordic white guys, since they tend to be f***ing bitches. I might be a bitch, but at least I know the score and am not lying to myself.
Coming back to life.

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5488
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by Adama » February 18th, 2017, 10:04 pm

starchild5 wrote:
Adama wrote:
Why are you knocking them? I bet they enjoy their lives more than the first worlders.
They are incredibly happy. They are the Gypsies of India.

Just watch this documentary created by a french guy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUYGRn3W9Q[/youtube]

and then read the comment from white people.

Just some of the Americans wrote about these Tribes of India.
I think they have a chance at being happy.. because they do not get mortgage bills,electricity bills,water bills,tax bills , health bills, insurance bills ,college bills ..bills bills bills... and can play around in vast land, bury their dead without paying thousands of dollars and be near one another and have social connections , love and laugh without the worry of getting kicked out of their home, or being institutionalized or arrested for dancing in the street ...they have more than we have..and all for free....we are just slaves....now ! how do I get there?
i am here in america sleeping is a good house, good food, driving a nice car, but not happy at all, they are poor but extremely happy
I can not fathom the quality of this amazing documentary. Quite possibly the BEST documentary I have ever seen or learnt anything about from any culture on Earth in a movie. The colors the vivid faces that can tell a million stories. You sir need to win some sort of Academy like award for your work. This should be shown in movie theaters!
funny how people with so little material are having such a great and enjoyable life in the deserts of a country known of poverty and yet here we are in first world countries with such a low quality of life thinking money can buy happiness.. Would love to throw everything away and learn to live with The truly free people in the deserts.
Just for the sake of it...You should watch it...already has over 7 million views. How people live in different parts of the world.
I doubt it. Eating curry every meal and shitting in the street can't be all that pleasant, especially the ring sting when the curry comes out.
Eating curry and ring sting is way better any day than gangs of blacks robbing your hard earned wealth and you having to waste bullets on them. :)

Sh**ting on the streets can't really be worse than having to deal with blacks everyday...Wanna bet on that :D
Two things most lovers of money don't know:

1. Happiness and love are to be chosen over money and great riches.
2. Money and great riches cannot buy happiness or love.

Most people have chosen money and have forsaken love.

TD-40
Freshman Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 5:17 am

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by TD-40 » February 19th, 2017, 12:29 pm

I completely agree with the OP. People do not go outside and interact with other people very much unless they pass them in the aisles at a grocery store. Our culture sucks because we have become accustomed to aloneness. I don't go to bars and I don't have the personality to be successful at a night club. There really isn't a lot of social places to go where you can casually meet people. All the women are working and have their own professional lives, which is ok, but it comes with a downside in that people are not progressing in their family lives.

I watched a video where a young guy was living the nightlife scene in Colombia. He and his small circle of friends would walk down a busy street at night and it was easy to talk and hang out with other people. He could quickly make new friends and they would spend the evening together drinking, meeting women, and just doing the nightlife scene. I wanted to be there so badly. 'Hermit' culture is exactly right and is not good for society at all.

Jeremy
Freshman Poster
Posts: 398
Joined: July 27th, 2013, 6:47 am

Re: America is a 'Hermit' Culture

Post by Jeremy » February 19th, 2017, 8:37 pm

I don't really blame them. I'm naturally a happy, friendly adventurer type. But this whole "working for a living thing" has forced me to become a nerd/hermit. Gotta pay those bills. Collect that stash. Always on the clock. Worried about your performance. Everything else - including health, happiness, and relationships - takes a backseat. I can't wait to be done with it all.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussions”