Job Pays ~$65K no degree required

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: Job Pays ~$65K no degree required

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:Posts like this are like various suggestions to get quality AW. There are just not enough positions available, so there is no possible way that most people can succeed in this. To get a job like this out of school or whatever you would need luck or good connections.
Circular logic works because circular logic works.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Jeremy wrote:I don't think more education/certification is the answer. There's simply too large a supply of qualified labour for too few jobs nowadays. Someone could spend 6 months of their precious time studying for this test and still be no better off.

I'm just going to keep squirrelling away as much as I can from my shitty $35K/year job (which I only landed due to a family connection after years of applying everywhere). Hopefully in ten years I'll have enough f u money saved that I won't NEED to participate in this circus anymore.
If you can find a niche where you can make more money, it makes sense to invest in the training you need to get it.

One of the problems today is that degrees do not necessarily connect to a job at the end of the process. In the old days when a small percentage of the population went to college, college grads could get a job for anyone who is well educated. With the government pushing college for everyone, you have to compete with a lot of people for existing jobs. If you ask psychology majors what job they might get with just a bachelors, they might say, "I can try to get a job in HR." They will be competing with HRM majors.

If someone read this thread and wanted to be a customs broker, he could interview the one whose recommendation he will need and various people in industry to see if there is a potential job. If someone reads this and wants to be a real estate appraiser, he can talk to a licensed appraiser who needs help who will agree to mentor him and sign his appraisals while he learns the ropes. I'm talking about researching to find a specific job or a decent job market before investing in a career change.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

ezinho wrote:One thing that people don't mention on here is that when you make a high salary, your company owns you and they let you know that every day of the week. You become their bitch and trust me, they make you earn every cent of your big salary. You get used to the money and then you just put up with the office politics and abuse that they put you through. Sure, you can numb the pain with booze, cigars and asian massage joints, but it gets old after a while.

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...
Well, you usually have to earn it. You may just have to really earn those smaller salaries, too. But not all workplace environments are abusive with really bad office politics. Some organizations are more enjoyable to work for than others. It may be worth it to take a lower salary to work in a place that has more of a culture of mutual respect.

When I was getting my masters, a fellow student had had a first career buying hotels, putting in new management, and improving revenue, then selling them. He had other businessmen he worked with. But his plan, when he graduated, was to go work for a corporation. I told him that didn't make sense to me. He wanted to go be a hired servant. I saw him on Linkedin several years later, still in his new line of work.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

You would be far better of becoming a CBP agent with the ability to retire with a pension with 20 years at age 50 or at any age with 25 years of service. No degree is required just as none is required for Border Patrol.

Customs brokers usually provide consultation services as a side element of their primary business, not full time Customs work.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

MrMan wrote:
ezinho wrote:One thing that people don't mention on here is that when you make a high salary, your company owns you and they let you know that every day of the week. You become their bitch and trust me, they make you earn every cent of your big salary. You get used to the money and then you just put up with the office politics and abuse that they put you through. Sure, you can numb the pain with booze, cigars and asian massage joints, but it gets old after a while.

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...
Well, you usually have to earn it. You may just have to really earn those smaller salaries, too. But not all workplace environments are abusive with really bad office politics. Some organizations are more enjoyable to work for than others. It may be worth it to take a lower salary to work in a place that has more of a culture of mutual respect.

When I was getting my masters, a fellow student had had a first career buying hotels, putting in new management, and improving revenue, then selling them. He had other businessmen he worked with. But his plan, when he graduated, was to go work for a corporation. I told him that didn't make sense to me. He wanted to go be a hired servant. I saw him on Linkedin several years later, still in his new line of work.
I worked corporate for 5 years and gave it up as a dead end. I was being pushed into management, and as a white male in SA it is like being a bok in hunting season; constant race cases, transformation meetings etc. And your technicals will go.

I took what appeared to be a pay cut in private consulting. With tax breaks and perks you take home more and control your own pension and things. I also work my own hours at jobs i want without being angry all the time. And i can choose to only employ whites. We have no bosses and no politics.

But you need to have a positive atttude willing to solve problesms without a its not my job corporate mentality. No titles or promotion. More you work and higher level your skills the more you earn
xtravel
Freshman Poster

Post by xtravel »

https://www.theselfemployed.com/start_u ... start-100/

I'll pick out the ones that look promising to me and add some more. All these have low capital investment. They do require you to work hard, initially at least,

7. Mobile Repair

If you have skills to fix certain things, then this is a winner. Fixing cracked iphone screens is a good one. You just have to learn one thing. It is one thing that most people don't know how to do, and isn't worth learning how to do. People don't like to drop their phones off at the mall kiosk or even at the Apple store. You coming to the office or home to perform the repair works well.

20. Dog Walking/Pet Sitting Service

People are simply nuts about dogs. The American passion for dogs as a pets is becoming a frenzy world wide, even in places that eat dogs for food. These poor beasts stay at home all day starved for attention. Get bonded, and guilt some owners, and you can walk dogs on demand. Convince owners to install wireless cams inside their homes so that they can tell when their puppy is lonely, and they can text you to rescue their dear one. While an illegal alien can easily price you out, he can't so easily get bonded.

25. Restored/Upcycled Furniture Business

Got a pickup truck and access to another pair of hands? If you look on craigslist, people often give away lots of expensive furniture. You can take this stuff away for free, and re-sell it for something more than zero, especially if you offer delivery as part of the sale.

Other ideas

eBay Arbitrage

You look on eBay for stuff selling more online that what the local Craigslist or Goodwill store is selling it for. You buy it locally and sell it nationally or internationally. Don't sell expensive stuff on eBay, like phones, laptops, etc. Another arbitrage opportunity is selling US iTunes cards to international buyers. Check it out now, there are iTunes cards with face values of $100 selling for over $100. Why? Because a US iTunes card gives a non-US resident access to the US iTunes store.

Timeshare disposal service

People get sucked into buying these stupid things, never use them, and are paying annual fees for life. They get sucked into paying money upfront to crooks who claim they will get rid of the timeshare, and all that happens is the owner gets taken.

Turns out there are people who will take timeshares for free. Few people know about it. tugbbs has a forum where one can post a timeshare share for to give away. You could offer a service to do this, but you would be paid after the transfer closes.

Real Estate Agent

Quite simply, he who has the time to give to a pre-qualified buyer is one who is going to get paid. Stick with buyers who have been pre-approved for a loan. Advocate for your buyer's needs to develop loyalty. Eventually you will get listings to sell real estate.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

If I wasn't doing my present venture, this would be a consideration....

31. Virtual Assistant

The best part about being a virtual assistant is that you can do it from home. Most of the tasks for a virtual assistant are computer related, so as long as you have a computer, internet access and a phone you are set. With this business you’ll want to make sure you have a few clients at a time to ensure you can work the hours needed. Since the benefit of a virtual assistant is that a person can hire them for as much or as little as needed, you’ll need to account for peaks and lows in weekly hours.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Moderating comments for large websites $50k
Park Ranger $70k
Tour Guide $52k
Toll Booth Collector $60k
House Sitting $100 per day
Video Game Player $50k

Here's one for you Cornfed. Swap flipping burgers for flipping switches at a power plant. $73k.

www.ratemyjob.com/perks/13593/21-super- ... e-than-50k
xtravel
Freshman Poster

Post by xtravel »

Zambales wrote:

31. Virtual Assistant

The best part about being a virtual assistant is that you can do it from home. Most of the tasks for a virtual assistant are computer related, so as long as you have a computer, internet access and a phone you are set. With this business you’ll want to make sure you have a few clients at a time to ensure you can work the hours needed. Since the benefit of a virtual assistant is that a person can hire them for as much or as little as needed, you’ll need to account for peaks and lows in weekly hours.
The trouble is, one can find a girl in India who will do this for much less. https://www.virtualassistantassistant.com/va-talks $5/hour . That's why I didn't mention it.
xtravel
Freshman Poster

Post by xtravel »

Zambales wrote:Moderating comments for large websites $50k
I like! Also not a job that should be off-shored to a someone unfamiliar with the culture the web site is serving. So there is protection from off-shoring to cheap labor.
Zambales wrote: Park Ranger $70k
Not so easy to get a federal or state job.
Zambales wrote: Tour Guide $52k
Seasonal.
Zambales wrote: Toll Booth Collector $60k
This job is going away fast. These days, machines read license plates and send the bill in the mail. Or you get a sticker with a bar code that is read.
Zambales wrote:
House Sitting $100 per day
Or I rent my home out to AirBNB and someone pays me to sit in my house.
Zambales wrote:
Video Game Player $50k
Would you tell my useless 20-something kids about it? :oops:
Last edited by xtravel on May 21st, 2017, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtravel
Freshman Poster

Post by xtravel »

One more I meant to mention but forgot.

Manufactured spending.

Some credit cards offer cash back, upwards of 2% unlimited. 50 * 60K = $3M in annual spending or about $9000 a day. What do you spend it on? Prepaid visa, mastercard, and American Express cards. You find stores that will let you buy these with 2% cash back credit card, and then you transfer the money from the prepaid card to your bank account. Because you won't get a $270K credit limit on the 2% cash back card, you pay the 2% credit card bank several times a month.

You pretty much need a car to do this because if you keep hitting the same drug store (pharmacy) each day to do this, some busy body manager will accuse you of money laundering, and ban you from the store, or call the cops on you. Since cops actually don't know the law, you can be arrested. There are forums on flyertalk.com and reddit that discuss the ins and outs of MS, but get used to the coded jargon they use to confuse search engines.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

xtravel wrote:
Zambales wrote:

31. Virtual Assistant

The trouble is, one can find a girl in India who will do this for much less. https://www.virtualassistantassistant.com/va-talks $5/hour . That's why I didn't mention it.
I suppose you could work the season as a tour guide. That's 52k in the bag already - and do this for some extra cash when needed. You could even go abroad to a country with low living costs when the season has ended and continue doing this.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Zambales,

Some of the jobs in that website were uber-niche. How many people could get a high-paying job as a video game player? You'd probably have to win a competition first. You can't just walk in off the street and get a job as a food critic either. Don't Park Rangers get degrees in forestry first or fire safety?
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

xtravel wrote:One more I meant to mention but forgot.

Manufactured spending.

Some credit cards offer cash back, upwards of 2% unlimited. 50 * 60K = $3M in annual spending or about $9000 a day. What do you spend it on? Prepaid visa, mastercard, and American Express cards. You find stores that will let you buy these with 2% cash back credit card, and then you transfer the money from the prepaid card to your bank account. Because you won't get a $270K credit limit on the 2% cash back card, you pay the 2% credit card bank several times a month.

You pretty much need a car to do this because if you keep hitting the same drug store (pharmacy) each day to do this, some busy body manager will accuse you of money laundering, and ban you from the store, or call the cops on you. Since cops actually don't know the law, you can be arrested. There are forums on flyertalk.com and reddit that discuss the ins and outs of MS, but get used to the coded jargon they use to confuse search engines.
Have you ever done this? I suspect this isn't possible. Is a pre-paid credit card actually worth the face-value of the card? I would be surprised if they are. Is it really possible to make a profit doing this? If so, I may up my credit limit and pay off my car every day if I get one of these cash-back deals.

If you could buy some kind of card online with a cash-back feature, you could continually buy cards and make payments on your card. When one posted, you could buy another card.

Target was offering some kind of small discount for using their card in the store. I asked if it would be possible to buy a Target card with a Target card. I believe the cashier said 'no.'
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

MrMan wrote:Zambales,

Some of the jobs in that website were uber-niche. How many people could get a high-paying job as a video game player? You'd probably have to win a competition first. You can't just walk in off the street and get a job as a food critic either. Don't Park Rangers get degrees in forestry first or fire safety?
I was relaying the information from the website, Mr Man. Obviously not all are readily available and some do require qualifications. The point I'm trying to make is that there are well paid jobs out there for the average Joe.