Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Italian Citizenship and New Doors Opening!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Italian Citizenship and New Doors Opening!

Postby Maverick » June 4th, 2017, 3:40 am

Hey all.

As I've discussed in another thread, I recently converted to Mormonism. After doing so, I became VERY interested in genealogy (since everything is free through the church and they actually encourage this kind of thing). I discovered that I'm eligible for dual Italian citizenship through Jure Sanguinis.

So this will open the door for me to live, own property, and work in any country in the European Union.

Now, my appointment with the Italian consulate isn't for a couple years (they are very backed up) and, honestly, I'd like to give this Mormon thing the good college try before throwing in the towel on American women. Also, I lucked out and landed a very good job here that I'm hesitant to leave (and I won't lie in saying that I'm a bit scared to quit this job).

I figure by the time I have citizenship, it'll be around 2020 and I can re-evaluate my situation at that time.

In the meantime, I'm looking for advice on the best EU countries. I did do a search through the forum and it seems like Poland may be a good option. Eurobrat seemed to really dislike Italy, but, if I were to settle in Italy, I would probably go to Sicily since that is where my ancestors are from.

Any other thoughts or opinions on the matter?
Maverick
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 573
Joined: May 18th, 2013, 11:46 pm




Check out our Dating Sites and HA International Romance Tours!



Re: Italian Citizenship and New Doors Opening!

Postby Voyager1 » June 4th, 2017, 3:50 am

Are you going to renounce your US citizenship? Do you speak Italian? Polish?

Why give up your US passport / citizenship? You can still visit or live in those countries without doing so.

Have you ever set foot outside of the US? What you're proposing to do as Winston would say makes no logical sense.
User avatar
Voyager1
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 688
Joined: July 11th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Re: Italian Citizenship and New Doors Opening!

Postby Maverick » June 4th, 2017, 4:16 am

Voyager1 wrote:Are you going to renounce your US citizenship? Do you speak Italian? Polish?

Why give up your US passport / citizenship? You can still visit or live in those countries without doing so.

Have you ever set foot outside of the US? What you're proposing to do as Winston would say makes no logical sense.


Haha I'm not giving up my American citizenship, man. It's DUAL citizenship (meaning I will hold citizenship in both countries).

I have been out of the US multiple times and did live in Rome on an exchange program for a few months when I was in college. Like Eurobrat, I was not extremely impressed, but this was also 10 years ago and I was not looking for the same things as I am now. My grandfather taught me Italian and it did come back to me when I was in Italy, but I really haven't tried speaking it since that time. I was never fluent in it, however.
Maverick
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 573
Joined: May 18th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Re: Italian Citizenship and New Doors Opening!

Postby publicduende » June 4th, 2017, 6:25 am

Maverick, there is an egregious example of somebody who, like you, got an Italian passport via jure sanguinis and thought his new-found Italian identity would allow him to "find a place in the world" and a better stab at social/love life.

As is turned out, the only (undeniable) advantage he got was that he could work in Europe without any trouble...and that's where he is, probably happy working for a large American multinational in Ireland.

He even spent some time in Italy, "living the dream" of living like an Italian...only...

1) culturally he is not an Italian, he could speak very little Italian and had to deal with a vast majority of Italian who do not speak English well, in fact not at all - with all the solitude and frustration that ensued;
2) Italy isn't in a good place right now, like and perhaps more than most Euro countries: financial crisis, job crisis, multiple political crises and even an identity crisis.
3) Italian women are not as easy to deal with as many people think. The innocent, family-oriented types do not exist anymore. It's a globalised world so girls in their 20s are Millennial everywhere. Women in their 30s, if that's your target, are a bit more Italian-connotated, yet do not expect anything so exotic from them!

So by all means, not pissing on your parade, do look forward to taking advantage of your dual citizenship as soon as you obtained it. Just, please, do not overload your mind with expectations on how Italians or Europeans will welcome you.

P.S. I am, myself, Italian.
User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3020
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Re: Italian Citizenship and New Doors Opening!

Postby Maverick » June 4th, 2017, 6:38 am

publicduende wrote:Maverick, there is an egregious example of somebody who, like you, got an Italian passport via jure sanguinis and thought his new-found Italian identity would allow him to "find a place in the world" and a better stab at social/love life.

As is turned out, the only (undeniable) advantage he got was that he could work in Europe without any trouble...and that's where he is, probably happy working for a large American multinational in Ireland.

He even spent some time in Italy, "living the dream" of living like an Italian...only...

1) culturally he is not an Italian, he could speak very little Italian and had to deal with a vast majority of Italian who do not speak English well, in fact not at all - with all the solitude and frustration that ensued;
2) Italy isn't in a good place right now, like and perhaps more than most Euro countries: financial crisis, job crisis, multiple political crises and even an identity crisis.
3) Italian women are not as easy to deal with as many people think. The innocent, family-oriented types do not exist anymore. It's a globalised world so girls in their 20s are Millennial everywhere. Women in their 30s, if that's your target, are a bit more Italian-connotated, yet do not expect anything so exotic from them!

So by all means, not pissing on your parade, do look forward to taking advantage of your dual citizenship as soon as you obtained it. Just, please, do not overload your mind with expectations on how Italians or Europeans will welcome you.

P.S. I am, myself, Italian.


Thanks for the response! I know you are Italian and actually planned on messaging you, but you beat me to it.

I did read through Eurobrat's entire journal on this (I'm guessing that's who you're talking about?). I do realize that Italian women are not what they once were.

This is why I'm asking about any country in the European Union. I'm fine with learning any language (if necessary) and I do seem to pick languages quite easily (especially lately).

I did have one question though: Is Sicily different from mainland Italy at all? I did live in Rome for a few months 10 years ago and was unimpressed overall, but my ancestors came from Sicily so I would prefer to live there (if anywhere in Italy) anyway.

I do realize that I would need to integrate into that community and lifestyle and have no problem adapting to different communities: I recently converted into Mormonism, which is a very different lifestyle. I was able to do this seamlessly so I'm pretty sure that I could fit in anywhere if I just put in the effort. I'm also ex-military and have traveled around a lot and adapted into and out of that lifestyle as well.
Maverick
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 573
Joined: May 18th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Re: Italian Citizenship and New Doors Opening!

Postby Winston » June 4th, 2017, 12:43 pm

I dont understand. How does being Mormon give you italian citizenship? Isnt Mormonism connected to Utah, not Italy?

Also what convinced you to become Mormon? I ask Mormon missionaries this question and all they reply with is something vague like: "it felt like the truth, it felt right" etc. Thats so subjective and doesnt say much. Anyone can say that about any religion. They claim that the true gospel is something you can feel and you dont need proof for it. Geez i wonder how they are able to convert people with that kind of argument. Lol
Check out my video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Also see my HA Grand Ebook and Join Our Dating Sites to support us!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 24795
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm

Re: Italian Citizenship and New Doors Opening!

Postby publicduende » June 4th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Maverick wrote:Thanks for the response! I know you are Italian and actually planned on messaging you, but you beat me to it.

I did read through Eurobrat's entire journal on this (I'm guessing that's who you're talking about?). I do realize that Italian women are not what they once were.

This is why I'm asking about any country in the European Union. I'm fine with learning any language (if necessary) and I do seem to pick languages quite easily (especially lately).

I did have one question though: Is Sicily different from mainland Italy at all? I did live in Rome for a few months 10 years ago and was unimpressed overall, but my ancestors came from Sicily so I would prefer to live there (if anywhere in Italy) anyway.

I do realize that I would need to integrate into that community and lifestyle and have no problem adapting to different communities: I recently converted into Mormonism, which is a very different lifestyle. I was able to do this seamlessly so I'm pretty sure that I could fit in anywhere if I just put in the effort. I'm also ex-military and have traveled around a lot and adapted into and out of that lifestyle as well.


If you have (or feel) roots in Sicily and are looking for slightly better behaved girls, then a good idea is for you is to try Malta. Malta has a very strong Italian cultural influence, even their language is a weird hybridization of Sicilian dialect and Arab. And it's a Catholic country (despite all the fiscal heaven stuff that goes on LOL!) so many girls are still quite traditional. In a way, it's almost like a time capsule of Sicily as it was 30/40 years ago, with a sprinkle of Middle Eastern culture. Plus during summer the island is flooded with seasonal workers from all over Italy, and Greece, Spain, Turkey etc.

If you are a EU passport holder, you can stay and work in Malta to your heart's content.

And just to make my reply a little bit more convincing...a bonus pic of some Maltese girls. :)

Image

To be honest with you, the few Maltese girls who I have met in my life (all in London) were pretty unattractive, bu it might have been just a coincidence.
User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3020
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Re: Italian Citizenship and New Doors Opening!

Postby Maverick » June 4th, 2017, 7:43 pm

publicduende wrote:
If you have (or feel) roots in Sicily and are looking for slightly better behaved girls, then a good idea is for you is to try Malta. Malta has a very strong Italian cultural influence, even their language is a weird hybridization of Sicilian dialect and Arab. And it's a Catholic country (despite all the fiscal heaven stuff that goes on LOL!) so many girls are still quite traditional. In a way, it's almost like a time capsule of Sicily as it was 30/40 years ago, with a sprinkle of Middle Eastern culture. Plus during summer the island is flooded with seasonal workers from all over Italy, and Greece, Spain, Turkey etc.

If you are a EU passport holder, you can stay and work in Malta to your heart's content.

And just to make my reply a little bit more convincing...a bonus pic of some Maltese girls. :)

Image

To be honest with you, the few Maltese girls who I have met in my life (all in London) were pretty unattractive, bu it might have been just a coincidence.


Thank you so much! I plan on visiting my ancestral homeland (Messina) next year with my mother. I will definitely fit Malta into the schedule.

I will keep you updated with this.

As far as the girls go, I honestly don't care if they're hot. I just want a nice girl that comes from a good family and will be a good mother to our children.

Thanks again!

Winston wrote:I dont understand. How does being Mormon give you italian citizenship? Isnt Mormonism connected to Utah, not Italy?

Also what convinced you to become Mormon? I ask Mormon missionaries this question and all they reply with is something vague like: "it felt like the truth, it felt right" etc. Thats so subjective and doesnt say much. Anyone can say that about any religion. They claim that the true gospel is something you can feel and you dont need proof for it. Geez i wonder how they are able to convert people with that kind of argument. Lol


Winston, my genealogical findings will allow me to become an Italian citizen. Basically, it was luck: my great-grandfather immigrated here from Italy and was not naturalized before my grandfather was born. Total luck. But I found this because you get free access to tons of sites like Ancestry through the Mormon church once you become a member.

Personally, I converted because of the community aspect. I was also told that Mormon women were better than average American women (which I am quickly finding to not be true...though they do have a veneer of friendliness, they are actually even poor picky and can be nastier than regular American women).

Also, they do strongly encourage family values (hence, the genealogy) and this has made me MUCH closer with my family. My family tells me that I've become a more patient, tolerant, and accepting person since converting.

So I've gotten a ton of benefits from becoming Mormon. However, I will say that the actual text still makes no sense to me and is quite difficult to get through.
Maverick
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 573
Joined: May 18th, 2013, 11:46 pm


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LFL, nollindbrown and 5 guests