Obesity rates: Where does your state rank?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
TD-40
Freshman Poster

Obesity rates: Where does your state rank?

Post by TD-40 »

https://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

I am in Utah and am surprised that we are pretty low in the ranking. This is just OBESITY, not necessarily the percentage of people who are overweight. It is unbelievable that 1/3 of Americans are obese. You can more than double that for the number of people who are overweight.

If everyone was thin again people would feel better about themselves and there would be more dating and marriages. This is one of these areas that people overlook when discussing how the social and dating life in the US is so awful.

To make matters worse I heard on the radio than an estimated 70-100 million Americans are pre-diabetic and don't even know it.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Obesity rates: Where does your state rank?

Post by jamesbond »

I read that between 65% and 75% of Americans are overweight. So two out of three, or three out of four Americans are overweight, unbelievable! :shock:

No wonder why most of the women I see out in public are fat.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

I am very surprised and disappointed that the Top 5 skinniest states are not;
1, Hawaii
2, Florida
3, California
4, Texas
and 5, South Carolina.

Obesity has absolutely no excuse at all in a tropical climate! Many times, I feel like I could get a bullhorn and tell entire crowds that obesity has zero excuse in a tropical climate. Literally tell them to get on the bicycles, go swimming at the beach, go jogging, and grow and eat healthy fruits and vegetables, especially including coconuts, oranges, bananas, pineapples, broccoli, corn, and grapefruits.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Hawaii has some Somoans and other Polynesian peoples that tend to be kind of large. Samoans tend to be large, and I think being fat is part of the culture. That may have kept the state a little further down the list.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

jamesbond wrote:I read that between 65% and 75% of Americans are overweight. So two out of three, or three out of four Americans are overweight, unbelievable! :shock:

No wonder why most of the women I see out in public are fat.
Many are overweight, but there is a difference between some extra kilo or morbidly obese.

The worst cases of 'morbidly obese' are clearly black women - even black very young girls...

https://stateofobesity.org/disparities/blacks/

http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics ... hybody.cfm
Americans of all races tend to eat more and are less active than their ancestors, which, is contributing to the obesity epidemic in the US. Recent statistics show that up to 66% the US population is overweight or obese. These weight trends are even more pronounced among African Americans with 60% of African American men and 78% of African American women identified as overweight. In addition, 28.8% of men and 50.8% of African American women are considered obese. The charts below show that black women lead the population both in the numbers who are overweight and obese. In these statistics, the white and black race groups include persons of Hispanic and non-Hispanic origin.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

This uses BMI, a completely useless metric.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

fschmidt wrote:This uses BMI, a completely useless metric.
BMI is a very simple number, which is merely a ratio between body height and weight.

It's not useless, if corrected - children / adults, black/white/mixed/Asian race, comparing same races in different countries etc.

There is no question about that a huge part of the population in USA, especially the black woman, is seriously overweight. For that you do not need even any BMI data, it is enough what you see with your own eyes.

Unfortunately data worldwide are collected only since about 2014 and therefore rather incomplete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... mass_index

It is true that BMI is delivering questionable data and other better measure procedures are under consideration.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/body-mass-i ... ity-372852
xhatox
Freshman Poster

Post by xhatox »

Here is the information for my state (California). It's uncommon to see obese people where I'm from there, although certain areas skew overall state rank.