Funny Foreign Product Names

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Funny Foreign Product Names

Post by MrMan »

Let's discuss funny foreign product names.

When I was in South Korea, I was in a movie theater sitting next to a fellow American English teacher friend of mine. They showed a sexy panty hose commercial before the film. At the end of the commercial, they showed the brand, "Feel up" panty hose. My friend and I laughed. No one else in the theater got the joke. He said they may have named it that because the pantyhose made women feel 'up' as in happy. I figured there was probably some expat English teacher who helped them with a product name wishing he'd had a chance to name a bra instead.

There were also 'Get Used' jeans in Korea.

In Indonesia many years ago, I saw a commercial for a product that I think was spelled Helmigs. It was an energy drink like Kratingdeng (Red Bull), I think, but made by putting fizzy tablets in water. The commercial was fully because the announcer pronounced it like 'Hell Mix', so it sounded like he was saying, in Indonesian mixed with English, "Drink HELL MIx!" Then it went to a shot of fizzing yellow liquid.

'Cipta' means create in Indonesia, and it is a brand name, probably from one corporation. There is a brand of toothpaste called 'Ciptadent.' That sounds funny to me. Imagine someone said,

"I had healthy teeth until I started this toothpaste, and then I chipped a dent on an orange seed."

'Tolak Angin' means 'reject the wind'. In Indonesia, they call getting sick from colds and certain other ailments 'masuk angin'-- enter the wind.

But in Malaysian, they use 'tolak' on handles in buildings. It means 'push' in Malaysian, so Tolak Angin means 'push the wind.'

I saw a Malaysian brand of toothpaste with a black man's face wearing a top hat. It is called 'Darlie', but I think I saw it written as 'Darkie' several years ago. That's not funny, just odd.

What funny brand names have you seen overseas?
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Re: Funny Foreign Product Names

Post by Zambales »

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Yours are funnier than mine. Do they pronounce that last product as poo-kay?

I forgot about Pocari Sweat.

How about having a glass of Calpis (pronounce that out loud) after a long hot day of working with cows on a ranch?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Zambales wrote:..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a few things in Vietnam that are a bit funny, if you have a dirty mind I guess. Just off the top of my head

1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?