Ways to Teach English with No Degree

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Ways to Teach English with No Degree

Post by MrMan »

I had a look at eslcafe.com a while ago and found some jobs for which no degree is required.

Here is one in Thailand where they pay you, you can get training on how to teach ESL, you get paid, and work on a college degree:
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=44410

That sounds like a low salary. If you had an apartment, you may be able to survive in Thailand on that. I went somewhere else instead of Thailand a few months back, so I don't know if it is possible to live on that.

Here is one in Taiwan. It looks like they may hire someone with an associates degree:
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=44836

The ESL cafe international job board also has some ads to teach English online for $25 an hour without a degree.

I don't know how many of these are good. You can ask on the site's forums to see if anyone in those countries know anything about the employers. If you have a degree, I think getting an ESL teaching job overseas is easy. IMO, it provides a limited career, financially, if you get a family, though some people are able to make it work if they set up private lessons.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ways to Teach English with No Degree

Post by Cornfed »

Unless you really love teaching English and have a way to move on, this is not a good option now.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Cornfed wrote:Unless you really love teaching English and have a way to move on, this is not a good option now.
Just because you were not good at it does not mean others can't find it a good option.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
Cornfed wrote:Unless you really love teaching English and have a way to move on, this is not a good option now.
Just because you were not good at it does not mean others can't find it a good option.
I was good at it, but that doesn't change the market conditions. Of course if you were a tall blond chick with big tits it might still be a good option.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
I was good at it, but that doesn't change the market conditions. Of course if you were a tall blond chick with big tits it might still be a good option.
No you weren't. If you were good at it you would have built upon your success and either managed a school or owned one. Instead you came back to the USA with your tail between your legs and still whine about how hard it was and complain that you can't succeed at anything.
Last edited by Contrarian Expatriate on November 7th, 2017, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:No you weren't. If you were good at it you would have built upon your success and either managed school or owned one. Instead you whine about how hard it was then wonder why you can't succeed at anything.
That's retarded. Not every good teacher gets to own a school. This is apeffirmative action negro privilege talking.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:No you weren't. If you were good at it you would have built upon your success and either managed a school or owned one. Instead you came back to the USA with your tail between your legs and still whine about how hard it was and complain that you can't succeed at anything.
That's retarded. Not every good teacher gets to own a school. This is apeffirmative action negro privilege talking.
Everything related to success and wealth is retarded to you. That's precisely why you suck at life and always will.

How's that problem tooth of yours holding up? You only have one tooth left; take care of it!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Cornfed wrote: That's retarded. Not every good teacher gets to own a school.
ESL teacher is not the best job in the world for money. Not everyone absolutely loves it. I really like teaching, but I did not care as much for ESL as other subjects. It's a different kind of teaching, not 'subject matter' teaching. I had some successes that I could visibly see in student performance, and that was good. The salary is limiting. But for the risk-taker who wants to, it is possible to find a situation where one could start one's own school overseas. That is possible.

There is a saying. If you own your own business, you get to choose your work hours. You choose which 16 hours of the day to work. For me, on one occasion, it was which 23 and a half hours to work, but that was just one night, and it wasn't in ESL.

If your choice is between part-time work in the US, waiting for the company that wants to hire an humanities major to call back, flipping burgers at Burger King and running a cash register at Walmart by day, and dumping resumes into the black hole of the Internet at night, then ESL teacher overseas can be a very good option. You can work, save money, get established a bit, and then move on to other things if you like. Some people stay in the ESL game a long time. I know a man in his 60's whose been doing it for decades overseas. He never married, so he's probably okay financially if he managed his money well.

I haven't checked the demand for ESL teachers, but the pay seems to have dropped a little. It is still enough to be worthwhile. It's not a job that is 'bad' now, but fine a generation ago. There are plenty of jobs that exist for multiple generations. The demand and pay may have been a little better in the past. But that doesn't mean it isn't a decent job now.

Why do you have such defeatism about work? It seems like you'd rather just tell yourself success is impossible and complain about affirmative action and black privilege, waiting for the state to give you a handout for being part of the majority. It doesn't work that way.

Btw, I was wondering if you had tried to become a police officer, so you could be at the center of a national scandal about beating or shooting a black man. Is that a career aspiration of yours?