America; A nation of transients and drifters?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
traveller
Junior Poster

America; A nation of transients and drifters?

Post by traveller »

Living in Chicago, I have had many friends from high school move to other states. Some of them to the warmer southern states, including Florida. And I have not seen a single one of them in over 20 years. Then I move to Fort Myers, and now it's like everyone is moving to the mountains. Just recently, a favorite bartender of mine left her job at Dixie Roadhouse in Cape Coral, and she is talking about moving to Georgia this year. I hung out with her a couple times, including when her and I went to a local Waffle house after she got off of work, and really had some great times with her. Coincidentally, a waitress from a Greek restaurant that I frequent on Fort Myers Beach also left there, and is talking about moving to Colorado in the next 2 to 5 years.

And I agree with Mercury; no friendship can ever stand the test of a long distance move. When a friend moves long distance, it's the same as if that friend had passed away. You will never see that friend for the rest of your life, and I have come to accept the fact that my high school friends that moved long distance, I will never see ever again; not even if I live to be 90+ years old. And I know that when my favorite bartender from Dixie moves, I will never see her ever again, same with that waitress from my favorite Greek restaurant. They will never have the time, energy, or money to even take me out to lunch or anything. All I can do is mourn their departure as if they really passed away, and all I will ever have after they move are memories.

It is literally starting to appear that the entire United States of America, as a whole country, is a culture on wheels. A nation of transients and drifters who no longer live in one spot for more than 5 years. Northerners and midwesterners moving to the deep south including Florida, people in Florida and other southern states moving to the mountains as if sea levels were about to jump 2,000+ feet overnight, and who knows where people in the mountains are moving to. And it is especially sad that it appears only the good people are moving long distance and the toxic ones are staying put.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: America; A nation of transients and drifters?

Post by Cornfed »

Yes, economic pressures forcing people to constantly move leading to the destruction of society will be one of the things alt-right will have to fix after taking over.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

traveller wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 7:50 pm
It is literally starting to appear that the entire United States of America, as a whole country, is a culture on wheels. A nation of transients and drifters who no longer live in one spot for more than 5 years.
Believe it or not, but this is one of the reasons why I'd never left the greater Boston/New England area.

For the most part, many New Englanders don't leave their home states. Despite the snow and everything else, ppl here try to stay put because that's the only way they can have a sense of community.

If Jester were still on this forum, he could tell you a few things. The numerous Armenian-Americans always have some affinity for Watertown Massachusetts as that's the original home of Armenia-S.S.R in Boston, despite them being scattered across the various suburbs. The major cultural and religious gathering centers are still in Watertown.

For me, my wife (Mel) is originally from Rhode Island and her dad is a retired military officer. Despite the fact that his career forced him to moved to various locations, he's always kept Mel in Rhode Island, next to friends and family who loved her, while he was on assignment. She was never alone despite having lost her mother to cancer at a very young age. For him, this was extremely important as most military brats lived lonely lives on bases around the country and the world.

As you know, the distance between Boston and R.I. is less than an hour and thus, Mel and I make frequent visits there, all of the time.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

traveller wrote:
Living in Chicago, I have had many friends from high school move to other states. Some of them to the warmer southern states, including Florida. And I have not seen a single one of them in over 20 years. Then I move to Fort Myers, and now it's like everyone is moving to the mountains. Just recently, a favorite bartender of mine left her job at Dixie Roadhouse in Cape Coral, and she is talking about moving to Georgia this year. I hung out with her a couple times, including when her and I went to a local Waffle house after she got off of work, and really had some great times with her. Coincidentally, a waitress from a Greek restaurant that I frequent on Fort Myers Beach also left there, and is talking about moving to Colorado in the next 2 to 5 years.

And I agree with Mercury; no friendship can ever stand the test of a long distance move. When a friend moves long distance, it's the same as if that friend had passed away. You will never see that friend for the rest of your life, and I have come to accept the fact that my high school friends that moved long distance, I will never see ever again; not even if I live to be 90+ years old. And I know that when my favorite bartender from Dixie moves, I will never see her ever again, same with that waitress from my favorite Greek restaurant. They will never have the time, energy, or money to even take me out to lunch or anything. All I can do is mourn their departure as if they really passed away, and all I will ever have after they move are memories.

It is literally starting to appear that the entire United States of America, as a whole country, is a culture on wheels. A nation of transients and drifters who no longer live in one spot for more than 5 years. Northerners and midwesterners moving to the deep south including Florida, people in Florida and other southern states moving to the mountains as if sea levels were about to jump 2,000+ feet overnight, and who knows where people in the mountains are moving to. And it is especially sad that it appears only the good people are moving long distance and the toxic ones are staying put.
America is a culture on wheels. Even when people buy a house in America, they don't stay there for 30 years and longer anymore, and in fact, single family homes are even becoming obsolete as a place to live! More Americans than ever today are choosing to live in rented apartments and mobile homes.

As is stated in the main website, friendships in America are a FACADE! They are fake, they are superficial, and they are fleeting! Also, many times when a friend moves away, they put up walls between themselves and everyone they ever met because they know they'll never see them ever again. Some friends create an illusion that makes the friendship look like a lot more than a façade by telling their friends they'll be back to visit, only for the façade to get pounded and blown down by the storm of the long distance move. Others simply dismantle and take down the façade, becoming total strangers again, and even enemies, towards the people they were once friends with. No hugs, no goodbyes, only hurtful separation.

Also, with Donald Trump ruthlessly running America into the ground, millions of "nice" people are moving to Canada! Many from even Florida, Hawaii, Texas, and California are moving to Canada, trading their swimsuits, shorts, bikinis, and short sleeves for snowsuits, long sleeves, long pants, thermal underwear, heavy winter jackets, scarves, and hats. The new philosophy is; no glaciers, no economy, and no jobs. They don't care if it's in the single digits/low 10s Fahrenheit in mid July and gets down to even -200 Fahrenheit in January. They just say; you want nice, beautiful summer weather, you better be a multimillionaire first. Rich and famous, to be exact.

There is also an exploding number of Americans living permanently on the road, in RVs and motor homes. Many have online jobs that can be worked from anywhere in the country. They find an RV park, stay a few months, and then travel across the country to another state, stay there a few months, and go back on the road again. Americans are paranoid of other people. They don't want any kind of lasting friendship anymore. They only want "hello" and "goodbye" and nothing else. And Americans will flee when nothing is pursuing them.
Woahsciencecool
Freshman Poster

Post by Woahsciencecool »

Mercury wrote:
February 21st, 2018, 9:44 pm
traveller wrote:

America is a culture on wheels. Even when people buy a house in America, they don't stay there for 30 years and longer anymore, and in fact, single family homes are even becoming obsolete as a place to live! More Americans than ever today are choosing to live in rented apartments and mobile homes.

As is stated in the main website, friendships in America are a FACADE! They are fake, they are superficial, and they are fleeting! Also, many times when a friend moves away, they put up walls between themselves and everyone they ever met because they know they'll never see them ever again. Some friends create an illusion that makes the friendship look like a lot more than a façade by telling their friends they'll be back to visit, only for the façade to get pounded and blown down by the storm of the long distance move. Others simply dismantle and take down the façade, becoming total strangers again, and even enemies, towards the people they were once friends with. No hugs, no goodbyes, only hurtful separation.

Also, with Donald Trump ruthlessly running America into the ground, millions of "nice" people are moving to Canada! Many from even Florida, Hawaii, Texas, and California are moving to Canada, trading their swimsuits, shorts, bikinis, and short sleeves for snowsuits, long sleeves, long pants, thermal underwear, heavy winter jackets, scarves, and hats. The new philosophy is; no glaciers, no economy, and no jobs. They don't care if it's in the single digits/low 10s Fahrenheit in mid July and gets down to even -200 Fahrenheit in January. They just say; you want nice, beautiful summer weather, you better be a multimillionaire first. Rich and famous, to be exact.

There is also an exploding number of Americans living permanently on the road, in RVs and motor homes. Many have online jobs that can be worked from anywhere in the country. They find an RV park, stay a few months, and then travel across the country to another state, stay there a few months, and go back on the road again. Americans are paranoid of other people. They don't want any kind of lasting friendship anymore. They only want "hello" and "goodbye" and nothing else. And Americans will flee when nothing is pursuing them.
So the toxic NeverTrumper feminists and SJW's are supposedly moving to Canada? Cool, good riddance. Sounds like you should move with them, youll be in company.

Btw this is false, because unlike the US, Canada does not want a bunch of illegal leeches living in their country and they have already firmly said such a thing is not possible, American or not.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Woahsciencecool wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 1:54 am
Btw this is false, because unlike the US, Canada does not want a bunch of illegal leeches living in their country and they have already firmly said such a thing is not possible, American or not.
Actually, on a tourist visa alone, Americans can spend up to six months at a time, up in Canada. Thus, be ready to make that occasional road trip to Buffalo NY to stay legal.

In addition, buying travel insurance is cheaper than buying one's own insurance in America. This is why so many ppl with govt/union jobs don't leave for the private sector as the pay increase doesn't mitigate the risk of losing a quality health insurance plan or an occasional layoff.

All and all, if one can work remotely, like let's say having a job in Ann Arbor MI, but only having to show up to the office once a week, living in Windsor ON becomes very doable.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

AB discussion thread

Woahsciencecool
Freshman Poster

Post by Woahsciencecool »

S_Parc wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 11:49 am
Woahsciencecool wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 1:54 am
Actually, on a tourist visa alone, Americans can spend up to six months at a time, up in Canada. Thus, be ready to make that occasional road trip to Buffalo NY to stay legal.

In addition, buying travel insurance is cheaper than buying one's own insurance in America. This is why so many ppl with govt/union jobs don't leave for the private sector as the pay increase doesn't mitigate the risk of losing a quality health insurance plan or an occasional layoff.

All and all, if one can work remotely, like let's say having a job in Ann Arbor MI, but only having to show up to the office once a week, living in Windsor ON becomes very doable.
What exactly do you think youre going to find in Canada compared to America?

Dating there is even WORSE, feminism there is even WORSE, SJW's there are even WORSE, expense there is even WORSE, in addition to many other things.

Have fun though, I guess.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Woahsciencecool wrote:
February 24th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Dating there is even WORSE, feminism there is even WORSE, SJW's there are even WORSE, expense there is even WORSE, in addition to many other things.

Believe it or not, due to all the various ethnic groups up there, dating isn't all that much worse than in the US. But sure, the Anglo-Canadians are mostly worthless b.itches.

The major thing is that seeing esc@rts is legal/ok and thus, one can partake in that, w/o the law getting the way.

AB discussion thread

Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

Woahsciencecool wrote:
February 24th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Additionally to that, the winters in Canada are wickedly cold and brutal! And winters are immensely long too; snow is common as late as early July and as early in the season as early September in over 95 percent of Canada; especially including places like Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Baker Lake, Yellowknife, Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, and Calgary. Even summers are often chilly and very short with July/August highs even as cold as the low 50s Fahrenheit in Canada. You might, however, see a few occasional July/August highs in the 70s and maybe even the low 80s Fahrenheit in the extreme southern edge of Canada such as in Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Windsor.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

America has become a totally transient country. Today, even entire states can have a 100% population turnover in as short as every 20 years! It is no wonder that not only are friendships in America fake, superficial, and mostly a façade, but they are also fleeting!
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

My personal opinion is that friendship is overrated. At first you think you're going to get some camaraderie, but often times I have found that my "friends" secretly hated me and were seeking to sabotage me with women, to otherwise embarrass me, to find reasons to condemn me for simple matters of no importance, to deceive me, to spread malicious gossip about me, or to boss me around, to ply for information to reveal to the boss to get me fired, or even destroying my property.

I could write a book about the evil tactics that many friends have in their war chest. And this is only what men are up to. So I've come to the conclusion that most people are really not worth dealing with, even if they seem good in the beginning, if you have a moment of vulnerability, or you reveal some weakness or the wrong details, or in any other way give them an opening, they may secretly use it against you behind your back to destroy your reputation or a relationship with another person, or simply to embarrass you. Just about anything to prove to themselves that they are better than you.

But who said life was a competition? I always viewed life as a long distance marathon against my own best.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
JohnDoeBigBaller
Freshman Poster

Post by JohnDoeBigBaller »

friends are bullshit. The only "friendship" I need is with a few hot exotic asian prostitutes. Everyone else can go to hell.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

I think many friendships are not true friendships at all, but more or less some people are just drinking buddies, or party buddies. They aren't really friends. They are just people who hang out together and pair up to go to bars, clubs and restaurants, or concerts and baseball games. At times they may go skiing together, or take vacations together, or some other adventure, but I would bet most of it simply revolves around alcohol or partying. (And we all know, a person can't do anything alone without being a loooooooserrrrrr!, in the eyes of the unwise.)

There is no real depth. And in fact, there can't be. Because once the heart is exposed, then deception from the other person, who is the "friend," can come in to destroy your life. Or once they see real emotion, that "friend" will run for the hills.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

JohnDoeBigBaller wrote:
March 22nd, 2018, 3:07 pm
friends are bullshit. The only "friendship" I need is with a few hot exotic asian prostitutes. Everyone else can go to hell.
:D
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
suprmon
Freshman Poster

Post by suprmon »

They might as well take the word "friend" out of the dictionary because it just no longer exist! "Friends" are just fleeting and vain. If you do find any friends be prepared to be betrayed, used and stabbed in the back! You just can't trust anybody these days men nor women!