Does anyone else think "Stranger Danger" is primarily an American thing?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Does anyone else think "Stranger Danger" is primarily an American thing?

Post by Mercury »

Americans I am sure have been exposed to it as early as even 3 years old. It is the "Stranger Danger" philosophy. Basically, adults teach children to run away from strangers screaming. In other words, they are taught to see all strangers, especially in safe, quiet neighborhoods, as potential kidnappers, rapists, serial killers, and sex predators. They are literally taught into seeing even a neighborhood that is safe to ride through on a bicycle at 3 in the morning as an all out war zone with even 7,500+ drive-by shootings daily, and even crawling with wanted cop killers and terrorists 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. And it easily carries right into adulthood. Young girls especially are taught to run away screaming from every single man who is not a close family member and it causes them to be even terrified of uncles and male cousins, especially outside their innermost circle of family.

"Stranger Danger" is easily what installs and programs the default ice barriers into American children. And I have sort of a gut feeling that "stranger danger" might be a mainly American thing. Does anyone else think that "stranger danger" is an American only kind of thing?
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: Does anyone else think "Stranger Danger" is primarily an American thing?

Post by OutWest »

Mercury wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 11:18 pm
Americans I am sure have been exposed to it as early as even 3 years old. It is the "Stranger Danger" philosophy. Basically, adults teach children to run away from strangers screaming. In other words, they are taught to see all strangers, especially in safe, quiet neighborhoods, as potential kidnappers, rapists, serial killers, and sex predators. They are literally taught into seeing even a neighborhood that is safe to ride through on a bicycle at 3 in the morning as an all out war zone with even 7,500+ drive-by shootings daily, and even crawling with wanted cop killers and terrorists 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. And it easily carries right into adulthood. Young girls especially are taught to run away screaming from every single man who is not a close family member and it causes them to be even terrified of uncles and male cousins, especially outside their innermost circle of family.

"Stranger Danger" is easily what installs and programs the default ice barriers into American children. And I have sort of a gut feeling that "stranger danger" might be a mainly American thing. Does anyone else think that "stranger danger" is an American only kind of thing?
Highly American and mostly BS. All kinds of hyperventilation and child "ID" kits...it is way over the top! The reality. In the USA there are about 50 stranger abductions per year. In a country of 360 million, that is literally a drop. More children die from bee stings.Much of it is feminist in origins.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yes. It's remarkable to go to another country and see young kids playing without adult supervision, just like we did in the U.S. when it was a functional country rather than a loony bin.

I think the fetishization of childhood that you see in the U.S. has a lot to do with the fact that American society provides no models of functional adult life.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

The above is all true, mostly scare tactics (brainwashing). However there is also the fact that, there may actually be few people worth knowing. A person might be extremely disappointed with the personality characteristics of many people (superficial, hypocritical and abased), including the women.

The problem is not so much about stranger danger concerns, but it is more about the fact that there are few people worthy of consideration. Even if there were no stranger danger, many people simply are not nice or not worth the time, or will burn you down in some way.

In a way stranger danger in the USA might be a good thing, when you think about it. It may actually be keeping a man safe from interacting with some terrible people who would ruin his life (self esteem, finances, sense of self worth, will to live, mindset, sense of reality), if he comes into prolonged contact with him.

To me it seems like people here, especially the women, dig a little deeper than elsewhere, when it comes to the nasty things they are willing to do to you. Staying far from the evil people is not a bad thing. It is a good thing.

And I do truly believe that if there is a rare thing out there that is good, then God will deliver it into your hand. It is just that, if the evil people have already destroyed your self esteem and sense of self worth, you may not even consider yourself worthy of such a thing, and the opportunity might pass you by. Or if the evildoers have successfully brainwashed you into thinking that bad is good, that down is up, and that black is white, which is their goal.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

Diversity drastically lowers social trust. We will start seeing the "Stranger Danger" mindset in Europe any day now. At least once they get over the whole "Islamaphobic" labels.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Adama wrote:
March 9th, 2018, 9:18 am
The above is all true, mostly scare tactics (brainwashing). However there is also the fact that, there may actually be few people worth knowing. A person might be extremely disappointed with the personality characteristics of many people (superficial, hypocritical and abased), including the women.

The problem is not so much about stranger danger concerns, but it is more about the fact that there are few people worthy of consideration. Even if there were no stranger danger, many people simply are not nice or not worth the time, or will burn you down in some way.

In a way stranger danger in the USA might be a good thing, when you think about it. It may actually be keeping a man safe from interacting with some terrible people who would ruin his life (self esteem, finances, sense of self worth, will to live, mindset, sense of reality), if he comes into prolonged contact with him.

To me it seems like people here, especially the women, dig a little deeper than elsewhere, when it comes to the nasty things they are willing to do to you. Staying far from the evil people is not a bad thing. It is a good thing.

And I do truly believe that if there is a rare thing out there that is good, then God will deliver it into your hand. It is just that, if the evil people have already destroyed your self esteem and sense of self worth, you may not even consider yourself worthy of such a thing, and the opportunity might pass you by. Or if the evildoers have successfully brainwashed you into thinking that bad is good, that down is up, and that black is white, which is their goal.
Well, that's true too. I wrote a masters thesis 20 years ago on the death of conversation in America, mourning its demise. But on second thought, who would to talk to most of these people anyway? it's a different population out there, one in which edifying relationships are very hard to come by. In this time and place -- post-cognitive America -- reclusiveness may be the soundest strategy.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

gsjackson wrote:
March 9th, 2018, 2:57 pm
Well, that's true too. I wrote a masters thesis 20 years ago on the death of conversation in America, mourning its demise. But on second thought, who would to talk to most of these people anyway? it's a different population out there, one in which edifying relationships are very hard to come by. In this time and place -- post-cognitive America -- reclusiveness may be the soundest strategy.
It's been my experience that most people have no love for their neighbor. It seems to me that many people are always looking for a reason to project to themselves that they are better than you. Things may seem okay, but really, many people are just waiting for the moment when they can catch you doing or saying something wrong. Not necessarily an evil done on your part, but just something which they take offense to. Just so they have an excuse to dig their claws into your flesh.

At that point they see it as their job to set you straight. From that moment on, due to a minor difference in opinion over something that doesn't even matter, they go after your blood, and they will use every evil tactic they have to absolutely demolish you. When in reality you haven't even committed any crime against them. It's just that their massive egos demand that they act as God to punish you and set you back on the path of righteousness according to their judgment. Or because they are absolutely filled with hatred and simply want to do you as much harm as they can in any way possible, and many cannot stop themselves until you remove yourself from their presence.

And a simple apology is never enough, despite the fact that they go intentionally out of their way to feel offended by something that a normal person would shrug off.

After enough times encountering many people like this, it starts to seem as if conversation is meaningless. And it really is.

I've had people I thought were my friends come out of nowhere to attack me based up the shape of my face, the fact that I had fewer friends on a social media platform than them, the fact that I couldn't pick up women as easily as they could, the street where I grew up on in the town, the town where I live, how much money I had, the word choice I used, how I dressed, and on and on. And don't bring up any scientific beliefs that may be wrong, or feminism or women.

It seems to me most people are just looking for a reason to put another person down, to insult them or shame them, mock cruelly, and back stab, especially when you've never done anything against them except believe or act differently from them (because you're not their slave), and knowing that you're a pacifist who won't fight back, which they perceive as weakness and utter stupidity.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
statnerd
Freshman Poster

Post by statnerd »

gsjackson wrote:
March 9th, 2018, 5:03 am
Yes. It's remarkable to go to another country and see young kids playing without adult supervision, just like we did in the U.S. when it was a functional country rather than a loony bin.

I think the fetishization of childhood that you see in the U.S. has a lot to do with the fact that American society provides no models of functional adult life.
Not just playing, but little kids riding buses and trains even at night without adult supervision. I saw that a lot in Japan.

I have a sister who won't let her 8 year old son walk down the street to the school bus stop. This is in a nice suburban neighborhood.

It's ridiculous.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Pretty much. It's about the same in Canada (which I will finally be leaving later this year). In China strangers don't really talk to each other either, but for the different reason that China as a whole is more reserved. It's really weird how the Anglosphere is contradictory because on one hand you have this paranoia towards strangers, yet on the other hand, you have the culture of small-talk and superficial greetings.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Mercury wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 11:18 pm
.... Does anyone else think that "stranger danger" is an American only kind of thing?
I am not sure, I think it was starting in UK, this country has serious problems with pedophilia, but also with discipline of children.
Basically in UK children have more rights than their parents, women have more rights than men, criminals more rights than their victims, immigrants more rights than local citizens, etc.

EU is a strange world but the worst part of it - just my opinion - is UK.

I found USA to be a bit better. Despite plenty of do-gooders in the States, children might still face some punishment, criminals are often sent for decades behind bars, owners are legally allowed to defend their property even using a gun and so on.