Hands down, Chicago is the worst dating scene!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
traveller
Junior Poster

Hands down, Chicago is the worst dating scene!

Post by traveller »

I have traveled quite a bit before, and from my experiences, really no place in America has a worse dating scene than Chicago, Illinois.

Chicagolanders are horribly toxic and hateful. They are totally closed off from the outside world. They never socialize outside their cliques at all. The women especially in the outer suburbs of Chicago (Glen Ellyn, Lombard, Wheaton, Naperville, Batavia, Bolingbrook, West Chicago, Oak Brook, Downers Grove, Hoffman Estates, Gurnee, Zion, McHenry, even in places as far flung as Sycamore, DeKalb, Yorkville, Oswego, Rockford, Sandwich, and Channahon) are the most toxic, spoiled, hateful people you could ever encounter and the worst gold diggers, too. Simply glancing in their direction can get you in trouble with even the police. You can literally feel their hate shield from a football field away! Even a few of the inner suburbs, especially the Berwyn/Stickney/Forest View area, are toxic social deserts. You might have a slight bit of luck in the west suburb of Cicero which is mostly Hispanic and Latino, although I would not recommend that either as practically nobody speaks English in Cicero.

Chicago proper has the biggest 'hood' in America. Every single square block between California Avenue and the shores of Lake Michigan from Lawrence Avenue southward is all endless bad neighborhood; even Downtown Chicago is an extremely bad neighborhood, far worse than even Detroit. In much of Chicago proper, you can get blasted by AK-47 or AR-15 fire by being within less than 50 feet of a beautiful young woman! Plus most women in Northern Illinois, especially in Cook County, are very overweight. There may be a lot of skinny women in the collar county (DuPage, Lake, Will, McHenry, DeKalb, and Kane counties) area, but their toxic, hateful personalities will have you running like mad.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Hands down, Chicago is the worst dating scene!

Post by gsjackson »

I'm sure jamesbond will be weighing in shortly with vehement confirmation.

Actually, the last time I was there I had a very pleasant encounter with a female in a bar in Arlington Heights. The entire bar was one big good vibe, but that may have been because the White Sox just won the World Series. The woman did fall into the "overweight" category, and while a bit gruff on the surface -- a Western Illinois Univ. party girl gone to seed -- definitely was no man-hater. Hell, she might have taken on the whole parking lot of closing time drunks after parting company with me.

But that was over twelve years ago. I've always considered Chicagoland the most quintessentially American place, so since I think the U.S. is now a toxic waste dump unfit for human habitation, I can buy Chi-town as the worst dating scene.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

If I didn't know better, I would think that traveller and mercury were the same man, and that JamesBond is their roommate or brother or close cousin.

I really don't think you're missing out on much of anything. I have not found most people to be genuinely decent people. Many people are always looking for an opportunity to deceive, backstab, oppose, slander, mock, insult, make fun of, or otherwise do some psychological or social harm to your psyche or relationships with others.

Mainly I am just trying to hang on til I get to heaven. Because to me it seems like this place is full of evil. Just read Jeremiah chapter 9 and he will tell you that the earth is filled with deceit, that you shouldn't trust anyone, not even your own brother. I find no hope for humanity.

Sex with women (within a legitimate lifelong relationship, naturally) is about the only thing I am interested in. But I don't find 99% of women to be attractive, and I find many women to be completely corrupted and morally crooked. And most men are no better, but I am not interested in men.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Adama wrote:
April 28th, 2018, 2:18 pm
If I didn't know better, I would think that traveller and mercury were the same man, and that JamesBond is their roommate or brother or close cousin.

I really don't think you're missing out on much of anything. I have not found most people to be genuinely decent people. Many people are always looking for an opportunity to deceive, backstab, oppose, slander, mock, insult, make fun of, or otherwise do some psychological or social harm to your psyche or relationships with others.

Mainly I am just trying to hang on til I get to heaven. Because to me it seems like this place is full of evil. Just read Jeremiah chapter 9 and he will tell you that the earth is filled with deceit, that you shouldn't trust anyone, not even your own brother. I find no hope for humanity.

Sex with women (within a legitimate lifelong relationship, naturally) is about the only thing I am interested in. But I don't find 99% of women to be attractive, and I find many women to be completely corrupted and morally crooked. And most men are no better, but I am not interested in men.
Adama, I know that you are careful to edit yourself retrospectively so that you don't say anything that isn't your place to say. Yet, you believe it is your place to pronounce God's judgment (of eternal torment) on entire categories -- billions -- of people. Surely you know that pride almost automatically becomes the biggest sin to which new believers are tempted. The state of anyone else's soul is his and God's business, not yours.

If I were you, I would also be careful to avoid the idea that financial wealth is a gift of God. This article from the Russian Orthodox tradition makes an interesting case that the Biblical origins of 666 in Revelations is a reference to Solomon's gold. According to the article, the antichrist is the idea that through our labor and accumulated wealth -- whether it be channeled to individuals or into the state -- we can remake God's world. Jesus said to give it all away if it keeps you from entering the Kingdom of Heaven.

https://thesaker.is/the-number-of-the-beast/
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

No. God just has to reveal things to you through the scripture. There's only one way to be saved: that is to believe in Christ; meaning the person has put their complete trust in Christ's work as the Messiah, the Son of God, who kept all the commandments for us, which is why salvation is outside the commandments; meaning salvation is without works.

Just like we were born into this world through no work of our own, we are also born into God's Kingdom through no work of our own. Christ did the work for us already. All we must do is trust in Him.

Now therefore, anyone who cannot believe that (and there are many, possibly billions and billions of them) are in for some serious trouble. That is not me acting as if I am God, and it is not pride. It is fact, and it is truth. The way to life is narrow, and few there be that find it. (For some reason people truly believe that everyone is going into eternal life when Christ says it plainly, only a few are going there.)

And just as life and wives are gifts to men from God, so is money.

As for humility, I will let God decide whether I am humble or prideful.

As for Russian Orthodox whatever about Solomon's gold, at first glance I can already see, it's nonsense. God said it right there in the Bible that He would give Solomon riches. I would attempt further explanation, but it is not for me to disclose certain details which are for only learned people.

1 Kings 3:11-13
And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;

Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.

And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

gsjackson wrote:
April 28th, 2018, 7:54 pm
Jesus said to give it all away if it keeps you from entering the Kingdom of Heaven.

https://thesaker.is/the-number-of-the-beast/
You've missed the entire point altogether. If a man gets wealth outside of righteousness, then it is contaminated. He may have destroyed his own soul by doing wrong to increase his riches. This is the life in abundance outside of Christ.

And also, you don't know what I have given away. Please don't speculate.
Last edited by Adama on April 29th, 2018, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Adama wrote:
April 28th, 2018, 8:14 pm
No. God just has to reveal things to you through the scripture. There's only one way to be saved: that is to believe in Christ; meaning the person has put their complete trust in Christ's work as the Messiah, the Son of God, who kept all the commandments for us, which is why salvation is outside the commandments; meaning salvation is without works.

Just like we were born into this world through no work of our own, we are also born into God's Kingdom through no work of our own. Christ did the work for us already. All we must do is trust in Him.

Now therefore, anyone who cannot believe that (and there are many, possibly billions and billions of them) are in for some serious trouble. That is not me acting as if I am God, and it is not pride. It is fact, and it is truth. The way to life is narrow, and few there be that find it. (For some reason people truly believe that everyone is going into eternal life when Christ says it plainly, only a few are going there.)

And just as life and wives are gifts to men from God, so is money.

As for humility, I will let God decide whether I am humble or prideful.

As for Russian Orthodox whatever about Solomon's gold, at first glance I can already see, it's nonsense. God said it right there in the Bible that He would give Solomon riches. I would attempt further explanation, but it is not for me to disclose certain details which are for only learned people.

1 Kings 3:11-13
And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;

Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.

And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.
Your "first glance" misses the point of the article. It isn't to cast blame on Solomon, it's simply a reference in Revelations about "the Beast" that appears to refer to gold, and the proposition becomes that "money is the root of all evil." Because it tends to displace God, and makes people think they are sufficient unto themselves.

Anyone who doesn't think he fights a daily and probably losing battle with pride in some fashion is probably self delusional.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

gsjackson wrote:
April 28th, 2018, 11:57 pm

Your "first glance" misses the point of the article. It isn't to cast blame on Solomon, it's simply a reference in Revelations about "the Beast" that appears to refer to gold, and the proposition becomes that "money is the root of all evil." Because it tends to displace God, and makes people think they are sufficient unto themselves.

Anyone who doesn't think he fights a daily and probably losing battle with pride in some fashion is probably self delusional.
Go away. I no longer have interest in conversing with people such as you.

And you can consider this a victory, if you choose. Don't bother me again.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

traveller wrote:
April 28th, 2018, 11:34 am
Chicagolanders are horribly toxic and hateful. They are totally closed off from the outside world. They never socialize outside their cliques at all.
This is why you're not missing anything. I wouldn't want to socialize with the toxic or the hateful. That is like dealing with snakes that can't be charmed. It's simply not worth it.

You'll find that many people are anxiously awaiting for opportunities to spew out their hateful, toxic venom upon others. They have given themselves over to working iniquity. In fact, they love destroying other people.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Adama wrote:
April 29th, 2018, 3:15 am
traveller wrote:
April 28th, 2018, 11:34 am
Chicagolanders are horribly toxic and hateful. They are totally closed off from the outside world. They never socialize outside their cliques at all.
This is why you're not missing anything. I wouldn't want to socialize with the toxic or the hateful. That is like dealing with snakes that can't be charmed. It's simply not worth it.

You'll find that many people are anxiously awaiting for opportunities to spew out their hateful, toxic venom upon others. They have given themselves over to working iniquity. In fact, they love destroying other people.
Adama, you will eventually conclude -- if you haven't already -- that everyone in the world is like this, and they will demonstrate it for you every day, as long as you believe it. Everyone except you. And if that isn't the best definition around of pridefulness, I don't know what is. Well, yes I do know a better one -- it's presuming and pronouncing God's judgment of eternal damnation on billions of people you don't even know.

Your strength is your grasp of broad, secular trends, not your theology, which is warping you and isolating you in the company of a hateful God for which there is no evidence in the New Testament. It is counter-evangelical, repellent to any thinking person in its "believe exactly what I tell you to or burn in hell" simple-mindedness. It's certainly lent support to a long-standing hypothesis of mine that the great majority of American fundamentalists/evangelicals are interested not in truth but in a doctrinally constraining safe harbor from the world.

I've known a few who had a lively interest in theology, were keen to discuss the apologetics of C.S. Lewis, Dorothy Sayers and the like, but they have been drowned out in the public discourse by your theologically unsophisticated, fire-and-brimstone ilk. Honestly, if you feel any sense of responsibility to the evangelical imperative of your faith, you will button it up until you develop a different approach. Won many souls on this forum, where you've been giving your witness for years? Didn't think so.

"Go away" -- that's good advice, think I'll take it. One of the few reasons I've been around here lately is to help you fend off anti-religious attacks, but you really want to be a victim and a martyr, don't you? Just keep in mind that the saint with his stigmata bears as much responsibility as the habitual sinner to fend off pride, and probably has a bigger handicap in doing so. Whom do you think Jesus preferred -- the Pharisees with their pious dogma masking swollen pride, or the common thieves crucified on either side of him. Honestly, which ones are you more like?

I'm out.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

I lived in Chicago for many many years. I lived on the north side of the city, in a decent neighborhood that bordered a non-great neighborhood. The city definitely some advantages:
  • Reasonable property/rent prices for large US city
  • Less PC culture compared to west coast major cities
  • Great food
  • TONS of things to do
  • good job market
The disadvantages I observed:
  • insanely high taxes when you combine IL + City/County + Sales/Property + ...
  • crime rate is off the charts. lots of "thug" types wandering around all hours of the day
  • horrendous public transportation (i still shudder when i remember what the EL smelled like at night)
  • bad weather (hot/humid summers + freezing/windy winters)
  • corruption, largely reflected in the taxes
I agree the dating seen is not great. I always had the best luck with Hispanic/Asian women who recently immigrated to the US and were looking to assimilate.

Of all the cities I've lived in or visited for 3+ months, I wouldn't completely discard returning to Chicago. I definitely miss taking the EL with buddies to see the White Sox, hanging around at bars all hours of the night on weekends, going to my favorite rub and tug near where I lived, the martials arts community I was part of in my neighborhood...
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Good post, CannedHam. From your descriptions of American cities previously, I had wondered where you lived, because you were not specific. Now I know. It seems that there are now at least four posters here who do not like that city at all.
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

CannedHam wrote:
April 29th, 2018, 8:19 am
I lived in Chicago for many many years. I lived on the north side of the city, in a decent neighborhood that bordered a non-great neighborhood. The city definitely some advantages:
  • Reasonable property/rent prices for large US city
  • Less PC culture compared to west coast major cities
  • Great food
  • TONS of things to do
  • good job market
The disadvantages I observed:
  • insanely high taxes when you combine IL + City/County + Sales/Property + ...
  • crime rate is off the charts. lots of "thug" types wandering around all hours of the day
  • horrendous public transportation (i still shudder when i remember what the EL smelled like at night)
  • bad weather (hot/humid summers + freezing/windy winters)
  • corruption, largely reflected in the taxes
I agree the dating seen is not great. I always had the best luck with Hispanic/Asian women who recently immigrated to the US and were looking to assimilate.

Of all the cities I've lived in or visited for 3+ months, I wouldn't completely discard returning to Chicago. I definitely miss taking the EL with buddies to see the White Sox, hanging around at bars all hours of the night on weekends, going to my favorite rub and tug near where I lived, the martials arts community I was part of in my neighborhood...
There is very little to do in Chicagoland, and you will quickly get bored. Really all there is to do that is any good is Brookfield Zoo, Tavern on LaGrange, a few scattered water parks, and Six Flags Great America.

Chicago proper is a war zone between especially California Avenue and the lakeshore from Lawrence Avenue southward. Lethal, vicious flash mobs with AK-47s and stolen MP-5s are always shooting up CTA buses and trains and then robbing innocent people on board. They gun down and kill police and SWAT officers and then rob them, stealing guns and assault rifles. They also randomly blast crowds on the streets and sidewalks and then rob everyone they shoot. The flash mobs are all over the entire inner city, including but not limited to River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, the North, West, South, and Middle Loop, Hyde Park, Chinatown, Greektown, Little Italy, Englewood, Navy Pier, Grant Park, Millennium Park, the Museum of Science and Industry, Wrigley Field, the Magnificent Mile, Oak Street Beach, North Avenue beach, Soldier Field, Lincoln Park Zoo, the Museum campus area, the United Center, and also the campuses of University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Chicago, Columbia College, and Loyola University Chicago.
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

War zone? What are you talking about? Unless you're looking for trouble, you're not going to find any, here. SMH
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

Guhji wrote:
April 30th, 2018, 7:29 am
War zone? What are you talking about? Unless you're looking for trouble, you're not going to find any, here. SMH
In Chicago, it is not about if you are looking for trouble, it is about if trouble is looking for you. In Chicago, trouble is a ruthless predator and a hunter, and it preys heavily on innocent people that are even minding their own business.