Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Article about digital nomads fed up with western society

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

GuyAbroad8293
Freshman Poster

Re: Article about digital nomads fed up with western society

Post by GuyAbroad8293 » August 26th, 2018, 10:57 am

Best way to become a digital nomad- get on welfare, disability, etc benefits from the government. Then you can travel anywhere you want without worrying about money. Otherwise, figure out how to make money working online, maybe freelance, or just do the typical thing and work as an english teacher. You can do a 6 month teaching gig in China, then move on to Japan for 6 months gig, then keep moving countries every 6 months.

It seems english teaching is the best way for the majority of westerners to travel.

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost » August 26th, 2018, 8:20 pm

The digital nomad thing is largely BS. A few manage to pull it off, but for most it is smoke and mirrors and a short term pipe dream. Very few travelers have passive income and travel the world. Everyone else is just doing some remote job and maybe living in a third world country while doing it. That's not elusive or impressive.

The reasons why men do it though are solid. Western jobs, women, housing, life is all bullshit nowadays so the need to escape is real and legitimate. It's just that for most digital nomads it isn't what it's cracked up to be.
Expatriation Ragnarok
Make the most of going abroad while you still can.
Expatriation Ragnarok - Paperback
PM me to become a member of the Happier Abroad Support Network.

Contrarian Expatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » August 26th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Ghost wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 8:20 pm
Very few travelers have passive income and travel the world.
I'll agree with this, but add that the reason why so few can pull it off is that they are bamboozled into buying homes with 30 year mortgages, having wives or child support payments to fund, or living at or beyond their financial means.

If men would ust learn to live BELOW their means and just invest the lion's share of their disposable income, it would be a much more attainable goal.

I would have to say the communities of digital nomads/perpetual travelers is fast growing because of the minimalist movement and shunning of the marriage and family.

GuyAbroad8293
Freshman Poster

Post by GuyAbroad8293 » August 27th, 2018, 11:31 pm

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 9:46 pm
Ghost wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 8:20 pm
Very few travelers have passive income and travel the world.
I'll agree with this, but add that the reason why so few can pull it off is that they are bamboozled into buying homes with 30 year mortgages, having wives or child support payments to fund, or living at or beyond their financial means.

If men would ust learn to live BELOW their means and just invest the lion's share of their disposable income, it would be a much more attainable goal.

I would have to say the communities of digital nomads/perpetual travelers is fast growing because of the minimalist movement and shunning of the marriage and family.
any man who was stupid enough to marry a western woman and buy a house, is a lost cause and is beyond help.

Smart, young men who are smart enough to not get married or buy any assets which tie them down to one location, yes, they can live such a life.

Ultimately though, the best option if you want to immediately expat, is get a teaching job overseas. The company will generally pay for your airplane tickets, your housing, and so on. So if you want to expat now, that is pretty much the only real option for most men.

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost » August 28th, 2018, 12:55 am

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 9:46 pm
For any man who has the ability to fund those things and chooses to, I agree. Those things only f**k him over.
If men would just learn to live BELOW their means and just invest the lion's share of their disposable income, it would be a much more attainable goal.
The bigger problem nowadays is getting to the point where you can do that in the first place. Life is too damn expensive and good jobs went the way of the dodo a long time ago.
Also why everything that's going on now isn't going to last. It's all built on sand. So it goes. Perhaps like how millennials are looking back on boomers now, in a few decades maybe the then current generation will look back at the millennials of today and be amazed at how they could be digital nomads.
Expatriation Ragnarok
Make the most of going abroad while you still can.
Expatriation Ragnarok - Paperback
PM me to become a member of the Happier Abroad Support Network.