Why are the Saxons so evil?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Why are the Saxons so evil?

Post by Wolfeye »

I couldn't find too much information on them, but I get the sense that they're the source of a lot of problems in the Western world (and other parts, because of that). They, as I understand, were mercenaries that the Angles hired to help them repel some kind of invasion & that was won, but they saw the Angles couldn't kick them out & then took over (the Night of the Long Knives)- a pretty snake thing to do, right there.

I don't know what their traditions were, I only saw King Arthur (where they were exterminators) & saw some History Channel thing where it certainly seemed to emphasize them raping quite a bit (seemed like it was way more than "normal").

Not keeping their word, functionally having the tendency to think it's wrong not to pull the trigger on someone when there's an opportunity to do so, being destructive & back-stabbing, being expansive, and being pretty damn okay with anything of the sexual assault variety.

Not to make a categorical statement about it, but I notice the Saxon countries (at minimum, the Anglosphere & Germany) have a subtle or not so subtle propensity for all of this. Sure, you can find the same things anywhere, but it's not so much a cultural mascot. More of an aberration or a hated exception. I guess this is why they're so quick to run with terrorists?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why are the Saxons so evil?

Post by Cornfed »

Wolfeye wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 7:33 pm
They, as I understand, were mercenaries that the Angles hired to help them repel some kind of invasion & that was won, but they saw the Angles couldn't kick them out & then took over (the Night of the Long Knives)- a pretty snake thing to do, right there.
The Angles were another invading Germanic tribe. You're thinking of the Britons.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why are the Saxons so evil?

Post by MrMan »

From what I've read, the Angles, Saxons and Jutes were closely interrelated peoples in the German-Denmark area. After the Romans pulled out of Britain, the Celts there, who had been very much influenced by Roman Culture, wanted help defending themselves from the Picts who lived in Scotland. (We assume the Picts were ancestors of the Scots.) They hired some mercenaries from the mainland, Angles and Saxons who had worked as mercenaries for the Roman Empire. Rome was contracting it's empire after the capital had long sense moved east. These mercenaries took the work in Britain.

They saw the Celtic Britons were hiring them as their defense, and could not defend themselves, so they took over. The Briton's royal family moved to Whales and continued to speak their language. The Angles, Saxons, and Jutes took over and set up kingdoms. The invaders were pagans, followers of something like Norse religion. The Venerable Bede described them as if they were animalistic Barbarians.

Five hundred years later, the descendents of the Saxons had converted to Christianity, and the pagan Norse invaded. Those who described them described them similarly to how the Saxons were described.

English comes from Angle-ish, the language of the Angles. It was more or less the same as Saxon way back when. Saxon language in Germany and English language in England were at one time mutually intelligible. Anglo-Saxons went to Germany and Evangelized, the Anglo-Saxon mission, speaking more or less the same language.