Terrorist bombed a church in Mindanao Philippines...

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
redfeather
Freshman Poster

Terrorist bombed a church in Mindanao Philippines...

Post by redfeather »

The terrorist bombed a Catholic Church in the Philippines killing 17 and wounding 57 people.
So, be vigilant if you are traveling to the Mindanao region of the Philippines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoUg0Lk ... e=youtu.be
Retired Army Colonel (Combat Arms)

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

redfeather
Freshman Poster

Re: Terrorist bombed a church in Mindanao Philippines...

Post by redfeather »

Now another terrorist attack at a mosque in Zamboagna City...
Just a few months ago when I traveled to see my gf I was deep into these same regions of Mindanao...
If you have travel plans to the Mindenao region be extra cautious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iI4Cwk ... e=youtu.be
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

Actually you should say be extra cautious in Western Mindanao, the Eastern portion seems quite safe. Draw a line from Davao to Cagayan de Oro (or maybe Iligan City) and everything east of that is pretty normal. This particular bomb went off right in the middle of the area where these terrorists are centered, the Sulu Archipelago. Which is basically the islands southwest of Zamboanga City. Wouldn't advise white folks or anyone non-Muslim to be traveling there. But in my opinion eastern Mindanao is fine.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
redfeather
Freshman Poster

Post by redfeather »

Mr Natural,
You are correct SW of Zamboagna City and going west should be avoided. The eastern half of Mindanao is safe. I flew down to Pagadian and traveled by bus 2.5 hours south to her province, and we went thru police check points about every 45 minutes. I did feel safe the entire time, but I also kept and maintained situational awareness of my surroundings and what people were doing, etc.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Yeah, this type of shit has been doing the rounds in Western Mindanao for decades so there's a reason for the government warnings. Like Mr Natural alluded to, the entire island doesn't fall into the same bracket, although terrorist activity can occur in the eastern parts too - just not as frequent. A Filipina I knew was at a social gathering a few hundred yards away when an explosion tore through the night market in Davao a few years ago.

Having said all that, I know of a guy who's been visiting Western Mindanao for around forty years and he's very well versed in world travel. Compared to countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan, the "tumultuous" area of the Philippines seems fairly normal. Those were his words, basically.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Western Mindanao and the Sulu Sea like Jolo, TawiTawi and such islands have been always, since decades, a dangerous area. If you are a foreigner, avoid these places.

I visited Philippines many times, but I never go to these critical places. Better safe than sorry.

In Mindanao do not continue to western part past Davao. Take this advice as a foreign tourist seriously.

About eastern part of Mindanao, avoid remote places located east/south of Tagum, there are various violent groups active, but not Muslims. Over there is the Communist New People Army and also many ordinary criminals in hideout, plenty of problems with drugs and alcohol...stay on the main road between Davao and Butuan, do not enter places like Compostelo Valley, Mount Tagubud etc.
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

Zambales wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 11:34 pm
I know of a guy who's been visiting Western Mindanao for around forty years and he's very well versed in world travel. Compared to countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan, the "tumultuous" area of the Philippines seems fairly normal. Those were his words
Ok but what kind of comparison is that really? Talk about a low bar. White folks, westerners, and non muslims shouldn't be going to those places either. Unless you just like living dangerously or have some compelling need, they are all places for the average person to avoid.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
redfeather
Freshman Poster

Post by redfeather »

My gf just told me today that the terrorist gunned down a police officer at one of the check points, so just be aware that if you have plans to travel down into any of the SW Mindanao regions to do your own risk analysis before you go. It looks like these terrorist are ramping up their activity, so just remain vigilant.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Mr Natural wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 1:29 pm
Zambales wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 11:34 pm
I know of a guy who's been visiting Western Mindanao for around forty years and he's very well versed in world travel. Compared to countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan, the "tumultuous" area of the Philippines seems fairly normal. Those were his words
Ok but what kind of comparison is that really? Talk about a low bar. White folks, westerners, and non muslims shouldn't be going to those places either. Unless you just like living dangerously or have some compelling need, they are all places for the average person to avoid.
I'm guessing he's making the point about the area not being as bad as it sounds. His opinion of course but there are others too with similar stances such as the Westerners who have businesses in Zamboanga. Personally, I'd be sceptical about going to this part of the Philippines although I live in a city that has suffered from terrorist attacks previously and I'm still here.

Do people avoid visiting cities like Paris, London, New York, Istanbul etc.because of past terrorist activity? Some might but not all. They might decide to change their vacation plans to somewhere that doesn't have a history of terrorism only to be sent to the morgue by a drunk driver.

The wrong time wrong place scenario can come into play wherever you go I suppose.