Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Letters From Immigrants/Foreigners about America

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Letters From Immigrants/Foreigners about America

Postby Winston » Sat May 17, 2008 5:21 pm

What immigrants and foreigners say about America that you never hear in the US media

http://www.happierabroad.com/ebook/Page32.htm
Last edited by Winston on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Grunt » Sat May 17, 2008 11:23 pm

The most amusing aspect of that post was the Czech female commenting on a place she has never been to. Par for the course, I guess.

I lived in Czehia (Czech Republic) for a year and I found Czech to be the most ignorant and arrogant peasants I have ever seen in my life. Czechs are renown all over the world as being rude, and saving their advanced rudeness for the tourists that keep their feeble economy afloat.

This is demonstrated by world tourist data showing the Czech Republic has the lowest "re-visiting" rates imaginable. People visit...but never come back. That about wraps it up. The architecture is stunning, and Prague is alot different then the rest of the country, but were anyone to ask me if they should go to the Czech Republic I would offer a firm and resounding NO!

The Czech tourism department is in a blind panic and literally spells it out, STOP BEING RUDE TO TOURISTS! Wont happen though, and as far as I'm concerned it couldn't happen to a nicer crowd. Lets not forget the Czechs were the first to ELECT communists back into power and send those reps to the EU parliament.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Postby Evergreen » Tue May 20, 2008 3:23 pm

I know personally at least three immigrants hates living in America and they are just here just to make enough money to get by, get their U.S. citizenship and leave America. Two of them already have done it and soon the third one will leave as well. All three of them says if they knew what America was like before immigrating, they would never waste their time filing immigration papers and set foot in America. All three of them says lack of culture, high taxes(they live in NYC area), racial tensions, the coldness and superficialness of Americans are driving them away.
Evergreen
Freshman Poster

Postby Grunt » Tue May 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Im with ya on that, my wife and I have but one goal. Get her American passport then get the hell out of America ASAP. I could (and will) write up an entire webpage devoted to reasons to leave America.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Postby jamesbond » Tue May 27, 2008 9:37 am

Grunt wrote:Im with ya on that, my wife and I have but one goal. Get her American passport then get the hell out of America ASAP. I could (and will) write up an entire webpage devoted to reasons to leave America.

The more one travels to different countries, the more one realizes there are better places to live than the USA. Most Americans never travel to other countries. They simply travel within the US and never see what life is like in other countries.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Winston » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Check out this touching heartfelt letter from a Russian immigrant in America, where he exposes his true feelings. He gave me his permission to post it. It contains a link to his photo too, so you can see that he's not a bad looking guy. If only more immigrants came out like this huh?

"Hi Winston,

Yes I was - thank you for asking. I also wanted to share a bit of the reaction I had after accidentally finding your site.

I read your 'happier abroad checklist', then looked at your photos and gallery of 'approachable faces' and I cried.

You see, I, myself am an immigrant - I came to america from the former soviet union when I was 9, and I never really fit in, in many of the ways you describe that you did not. I was always friendly, open, took interest in people, wanting to talk about meaningful things, etc, etc. I never got along with groups of people - people in groups always acted strange I though, very exclusive. I would always have a few friends (the weird ones) but those friends would often prefer the company and acceptance of their group to genuine interaction.

I spent a long time reminding myself that "It's not me, it's them", but I think over time I had started to forget. At some point I got into game and made some interesting and unpleasant discoveries - you can be friends with girls.. only if you seduce them. Otherwise, it's as if no one has any use or understanding what friendship means.

I've lived in NYC most of my life (though i've moved around just a bit), but it doesn't seem to be that much different regardless of the city. I'm currently in Boston, which seems to be a bit nicer.. but only because it has more college students that haven't been totally poisoned by american life.. yet.

For some reason, just as you said, I never thought things were different anywhere else. The though of leaving the country never even occurred to me - after all, everywhere but america is ruled by cannibalistic gestapo governments, right?

What's odd is that by most measures, I *should* be doing fine and living a 'full' life. I'm 30 years old, reasonable looking http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6132/5929 ... d157_z.jpg , practice martial arts, own my own business, socially apt (this took practice) and am, more then anything else, someone who works very, very hard to be a good, descent, honorable human being.

The pickup artists say "become awesome, and people will be attracted to you".. but apparently you need to become awesome in a very specific way. I've gotten very good at making friends and connection and can get dates.. but still, it takes so much work and the people here.. they are wooden, stiff, and their eyes are empty. That is, unless they are foreigners. Then there is no effort required, things flow naturally and smoothly, just like you say, there is this feeling of real connection, like the person is present with you, and everything is great.

My best friend is French, two of my most enjoyable girlfriends have been Filipinas. Why then, has it never occurred to me to leave the country? Fear of the unknown and the subconsciously ingrained idea that this is the best of all possible places. The first one has to be fought on ones own.. but figuring out the second one, that I really have to thank you for.

So, I am planning my escape. I think I'll check out the Philippines first. Do you still live there?

Also, I'm a photographer - do you think I'd be able to put my skills to use there? If you are interested, you can check out my work at : http://www.sashavolk.com/

Thanks again,
--Sasha"
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Happier Back Home

Postby Falcon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:43 am

Winston, all of the fundamental ideas mentioned here on HappierAbroad were already very well known and discussed among Mexican immigrants in the United States - for decades. Except for them it's "Happier Back Home." They rarely share these opinions with outsiders, perhaps because they know Americans would find them insulting.

- It is incredibly common for Mexican immigrant men to talk about going back to Mexico to find a good wife. I personally know plenty of Mexican guys who flat-out refused to date Mexican-American women ("pochitas") in the U.S., and got girlfriends and wives in Mexico instead. Even many Mexican men who've spent all their high school and college lives in the U.S. still go to Mexico to find girlfriends and wives. (With so many women available in those American schools, why do you think they would STILL go back to Mexico to date women?) The reasons they mention are incredibly similar to the ones found here on the HappierAbroad forum.

- They often reminisce about the much more slower-paced life of rural Mexico as opposed to the stressful, fast-paced life of the United States. As immigrants, they often have to move many times to find jobs, whereas in Mexico, they can "let the days go by under the sun," so to speak.

- Mexican immigrants believe American culture turns many of their children into hoodlums and gangsters. In Mexico, Chicano and "cholo" culture are thought of as American. Americans blame this phenomenon on poor parenting, which of course the Mexicans do not agree with.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Postby Grunt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:26 am

Thread Necromancer!

Funny to read my own post 4 years later. I no longer wish to escape America as much as I used to. Probably has something to do with our successful escape from Montana, no doubt. Virginia is no paradise, but it sure as hell aint Montana.

For now we want to move back to New Hampshire and fully retire. Since I have become much more involved in volunteer work over the last 2 years, I am much more hopeful. I have also realized, as my wife did long ago, that I thrive on battle, not the peace of the pasture. I would most likely go insane from boredom if we moved overseas permanently.

In the end, I am American, and I plan to go down with the ship. Better to die on your feet than live on your knees, I suppose. Besides, there are so many homeless, suicidal, and troubled veterans I can help. It is a great feeling to reach back and help pull a comrade over an obstacle.
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Return to General Discussions