How do you guys like the new forum themes?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Winston
Site Admin

How do you guys like the new forum themes?

Post by Winston »

I think RedSilver looks great and should be our new default theme.

Right now, I am demo-ing each of the new forum themes I've installed, one per day, to see what you folks think. See my announcement about it in the announcement section.
Last edited by Winston on November 16th, 2008, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi everyone,
I hope you enjoyed the RedSilver theme that I just demoed. Now we will try out the Neon theme, a bluish style. Parts of it seem kind of bright, but it's a good mix up I guess :) So here it is. Whoala!
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well that neon theme was kind of bright for my eyes, and the "new post" icon was hard to see, so I ditched it and installed another blue theme instead that's nicer and has an easy to see red arrow as the "new post" icon. This theme is called "Aphrodite" :) Enjoy.

jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

Can you brighten or highlight the scroll bars on the right and bottom of the screen? Or just make them stand out better? Other than that, I really like the black colored theme. :wink: If not, don't worry about it. After my monitor warms up enough, it stands out better.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've never seen those black scroll bars. The only scroll bars I see are the ones in my browser. Did you click the maximize window button on the top right corner of your browser?

I looked in the template control field and do not see anything that would let me change the color of any scroll bars, but I'm sure there's probably a way to do it in the .css files, but I don't have enough HTML knowledge to do that.

Let me know if maximizing the window of the browser helps.

I like this black theme too, but not the grey color inside the text body. I'll try to find a theme that doesn't have so much grey in it.

Thanks,
Winston

jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

You must be running a higher resolution on your computer and thats why there are no scroll bars on yours.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

By the way folks,
Some of you told me that you do like the black background/light text themes, such as this Aliens theme. However, one of you said that having a black forum did not fit the mood of this site and in fact gave off a dark gloomy feel to it rather than a positive one. Another said it looked very unprofessional and un-business-like and un-serious.

It does seem that black background forums tend to be more for young people or alternative crowds. Gamers tend to prefer black forums for instance, as well as music websites, and ones related to the paranormal or conspiracy theories.

But I don't find them dark and gloomy. The black background makes me feel more tranquil in fact, like a quiet calm night. And the colors actually look more pretty with a black background. After all, do you look up at the night sky with stars up there and find it "gloomy"? No of course not.

If black screens were gloomy, then why would Apple IIe use them back in the 80's? Back then, it was found that black background/green text was very comfortable on the eyes and good for long term work. That's why office databases written in DOS or Cobol had black backgrounds, and still do. You will find this in medical offices which handle large amounts of records that cannot be transferred smoothly to Windows.

So I guess this theme has an Apple IIe feel to it, which I miss.

Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

WWu777 wrote:By the way folks,
But I don't find them dark and gloomy. The black background makes me feel more tranquil in fact, like a quiet calm night. And the colors actually look more pretty with a black background. After all, do you look up at the night sky with stars up there and find it "gloomy"? No of course not.

So I guess this theme has an Apple IIe feel to it, which I miss.
I feel the same way Winston. I think this theme has kind of a cool, relaxing, sci-fi, retro computer feel to it.

It might be hard on people's eyes after a while though.

Maybe you could imitate the night sky more directly by having a black background with pale yellow text. Through in a crab nebula or a supernova in the background for effect.
wraith
Freshman Poster

Post by wraith »

i don't think a black background works here, especially with the wow theme that you had the other day... It's hard on me eyes, y'know...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok well if the black theme was too hard on the eyes after a while, then let's try this underwater "submerged theme" and see what happens eh? :) Hope you all enjoy the underwater feel. lol

Remember that in this theme, new posts are flagged with a pulsating light blue circle next to the topic.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
Here's something for you to consider.

I know that for some of you, seeing different forum themes here can get upsetting to your comfort zone as soon as you get used to one of them. But in a sense, that's a good thing. You see, a comfort zone is the last thing you want when you're trying to relocate or break out of a rut. It's the kind of thing that keeps people living in a place where they're not happy, even if they know they'll be happier someplace else. Once you get into a comfort zone, your body resists change, even if you mind and will want it.

So in a sense, think of this as a form of "Zen mental training" to help you break out of your comfort zone, cause that's what it takes to live or travel overseas.

Besides, it's a bit like traveling abroad too. You see, when you are traveling and dating abroad, as I was in Russia for so long, you are constantly surrounded by new environments and places, so that you don't get into a comfort zone. And after a while, you adapt to that and start to thrive on the novelty of new experiences and new things to learn. That's what it takes, you see, to be a good effective traveler.

So I hope that seeing different themes here is a form of psychological training and symbolism, to help you get used to new and different things, learning to adapt to them, rather than falling into a comfort zone where change is subconsciously resisted.

I hope that makes sense to you and that it doesn't sound overly deep or anything. Get my drift? Just something to consider.

Regards,
Winston

wraith
Freshman Poster

Post by wraith »

I don't know, the problem i have with this underwater theme is that i can't figure out which posts are new without having to strain my eyes for it.

It's not user-friendly at all.

Otherwise, it's just like the black themes.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

This underwater theme is the WORST! Please get rid of it, it is very hard on the eyes and you don't have a link that shows you the newest posts! The first black background theme was the best (not the aliens theme, the black background one before that). This underwater theme is absolutely terrible on your eyes and difficult to navigate around!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

jamesbond wrote:This underwater theme is the WORST! Please get rid of it, it is very hard on the eyes and you don't have a link that shows you the newest posts! The first black background theme was the best (not the aliens theme, the black background one before that). This underwater theme is absolutely terrible on your eyes and difficult to navigate around!
There is a bar to view the new posts. But it has icons rather than words. If you mouse over the row of icons at the top, it will tell you which one is the "view new posts" one. It's one of the ones with the envelope icon above.

Ok if you really hate this theme, then I'll soon move on to the next theme that I want to show you, as soon as I set it up. The next one is really pretty.

You mean you like the blacker theme? The only problem with that is the gray main body area was a bit gloomy and hard to see. Sorry that you don't like the underwater theme. I'll change it soon. Trial and error I guess. Too bad, this underwater theme is considered one of the coolest ones out there.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well folks, here's the new The Eighties theme. As you can see, it's pinkish but not to the point of being too girly or feminine, mixed with light green and light brown. It's a very pretty and pleasant theme, I think, on the eyes and on the senses. Don't you agree? Dianne loves it.

Jamesbond, what do you think?

Ladislav mentioned to me that he would consider a pinkish tone or shade in the forum to be uplifting to one's mood. So Ladislav, what do you think of this theme?