A German immigrant's interesting observations about America

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Winston
Site Admin

A German immigrant's interesting observations about America

Post by Winston »

Hi everyone, check out this fascinating insightful letter from a German immigrant I received today regarding his observations about life in America and people/culture:

"Hello Winston,

I came accross this page looking for other sites of immigrants from other places that were thinking of leaving the divided states of america and felt the same way that I do. At first I thought I was crazy for feeling this way, but after having read these pages I am quite pleased and surprised that so many other people think the same way as I do.

A little bit about myself. I am from germany, and was forcefully moved here by my parents when I was in my teens. I went to school here, college, graduate school, and have been working in the aerospace industry in the northwest for a few years. I first thought of leaving about ten years ago and this year with unfortunate due delay it is finally happening.

This country, no offense, is dead, culturless, lifeless, prude in many ways, and completely uncivilized. I now work for a german firm and spent the last six months working in germany before having to come back here to finish a project, and have made it perfectly clear to my management that once the job is done that I want to be transferred back overseas.

Now of course I cannot say that any country is perfect. All places have their pros and cons, but I simply cannot live with the fact of living in a country that thinks its the greatest piece of land on the planet, has the biggest ego about it, and has the mass propaganda on the media to make every 'merican believe that they are god's gift to the world, while not knowing anything about the remaining countries on the planet. Most americans dont even know what the capital is of their neighbors, Canada and Mexico.

A friend told me once that the american ego stems from from this country scoring an A, and all the others scoring a C or less the last few decades. I would have to say this country scores a big fat F in my book. 5% of the worlds population using 25% of the worlds energy and creating 40% of the worlds trash doesnt score high on my list.

And lets not forget that this country has had George W Bush as president for eight years... what madness... and then this place was dumb enough to not just vote him in the first time, but then to vote him in again... and lets not forget that John McCain and Palin made a serious run a the white house... again that is only possible here, where the population is kept ignorant to anything else in the world, and lead the lives that they do because they do not know anything different or better.

Being German I find it especially frustrating because this country has an obsession with everything WW2 and Adolf Hitler. One turns on the history channel (or as I call it the war channel) to view history that happened a very long time ago... not that is a bad thing to learn a little history, and we all know most americans are not very educated about anything that happens outside of this place, but I have had enough of nazi jokes, beer jokes, or the comments that we actually wear Lederhosen every day, drink 20 beers a day, and eat nothing but pretzels and sausages, and that all of us have a Porsche (would be nice though).

I am not saying that everyone should be a world expert, but the average american could not point out my country or the continent it is located in on a map. Sure, most people overseas are not expert either, but everyone can at least point on a map and knows the basic geography of the world.

A lady in her fouries recently asked me how big Switzerland is. Besides looking at a map, in this world of wireless internet, wickipedia, and google, shouldnt this have been mentioned in school at some point i ones life.

Another aquaintace of mine was actually firmly decided that he wanted to learn swiss. Anybody that knows anything about Switzerland knows that swiss is not language, but the spoken languages in Die Schweiz is german, french, Italian, and in some parts romansh (although if one doesnt know about that last one, thats understandable).

Ohh, and here is a new concept, I am typing this email in my second language, and I speak and write better english than most americans do. Or as I heard once, here is a joke:

When one speaks three languages: they are trilingual
Wehn one speaks two languages: they are bilingual
When one speaks only one language: they are american

Do not get me wrong, I have met some great people here and have made some good friends, but these are usually individuals that feel the same way that I do, have traveled a little bit, and are certainly not reprisentative of the average person here.

My biggest problem besides the ego, is the distinct lack of culture. If country music, loaded six shooters, and cowboy hats are culture, then so be it. I am proud of my country, have an over D sticker on the back of my Audi, and a flag on my aviator jacket along with a european union one, but I would never do that in germany. Is it really neccessary here to fly the american flag in front of every apartment complex, house, mcdonalds, shopping mall, business, etc...? Is it really right to instill the american ego from day one in children, making them at a young age recite the pledge of allegiance in classrooms, and breed ignorance and egos.

People in america are generally childish and are drama queens even at adult ages. I believe the average european is much more mature, cultured, and educated than the average american. During a recent trip to Amsterdam it is not hard to tell them apart in a crowd... big logo t-shirts, baseball caps, and of course the mindless conversations and the loudness of their voice. On a recent business trip to Munich, it wasnt us the germans that were completely wasted in the Biergarten.

And lets not forget the silly sports that are played... baseball and especially football are so bloody boring.... ohh yea... there a have to be different sports, so this way an american team can be world champion every year.

And lets not forget the blatant stupidity of the american units of measurements.... its 2009, and everybody else is on the metric system wich actually makes sense.

The distinct lack of identity is rather strage as well. A now ex friend told me that he was Irish. I asked if he was either born in ireland, been to ireland, and/or held Irish citizenship. Of course the answer to all three was no. Can anyone tell me how a person can irish then? And then this same person trashes me for being anti american and rants on with the greatest nation ego crap.

Not to go on too long, but lets not forget that people here have no health insurance, no way to help them in times of need, no infastructure with constant dependence on automobiles, but this place can justify a nice large military and bases around the world to protect the american interests of consumption... give me a break

And last but not least, there is no freedom here. There are laws and regulations about everything. There are certain financial freedoms here, but what good is it if you can not enjoy it. One can have guns, which by the way causes extreme crime and violence here compared to the rest of he west, but once can be arrested from drinking a beer in public, of showing as much as a buttcheek.... nice freedom!!

If you know of any other germans in the seattle area that fee the same way, feel free to contact me so I can keep my sanity until my assignment is completed and I can get ouof this hellhole finally and for good. No offense to anybody out there.... just my take... Tschuessi

Regards,

Been here too long and is counting the days until the big move back across the pond

H"
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

It is amazing what a big difference point of reference makes.

A typical observation by a West European from a West Euro perspective. Most adhere to the same point of view and most no longer come to the US to settle. Plus the Euro is worth more, vacations are longer,the quality of life is good, and there is pension and medical care.
Do keep in mind that most white Americans are of German decent or heritage in the US so there was a time when going to the US was seen as a step up but times do change.

So, it is all very well and good. But do you think he can offer you and me advice on how we , too,can move to Germany and enjoy the freedoms there? How we can avoid being beat up by skinheads and called Auslanders in a contemptful way.

To give credit where credit is due:

America is generally not a great place for intellectuals to bloom ( unless you get a PhD and become a college professor), but it is an excellent place for a little guy to make something of himself or for a refugee from a dictatorial government to start a new life. And yes, to a German, America is very prudish.

Not to an Arab. Not to an Iranian. Many love the relative freedoms there. Not to an El Salvadoran peon. In the US he can go to college and get a job and make $2000 a month. So what if you can't drink beer in public. He is happy there is no death squad at his door.

If you are an indigenous German, why even consider coming to the US? However, Germany while being good to Germans, is not so good to other races. You cannot become a German ever. Yeah, you can now get" citizenship", but you are never a German still. So, yeah, Germany is good for him and that is where he should live. But I would have never made much of myself had I gone to Germany instead of the US.
So, I am happy for the man and I envy him. But I cannot follow him. There was one American guy who went to Germany and tried to get a job there. And they treated him so-o bad. Anyway, Germany is good for Germans and good for him.

I only have a US nationality and I cannot qualify for another( better one) yet. So, I will stick with my plan of combining America with a few more countries to gain more freedoms and benefits.

To each his own.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

But why would Germans consider America to be prudish though? Aren't they cold and stoic themselves? When I was at the airport in Frankfurt transferring to Moscow, the retail staff in the airport shops looked angry and harsh and unsmiling. A German family from the flight told me that that's how people in their country are.

Are they supposed to be wilder than Americans?

And another German told me that people don't really talk to strangers in Germany.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

WWu777 wrote:But why would Germans consider America to be prudish though? Aren't they cold and stoic themselves? When I was at the airport in Frankfurt transferring to Moscow, the retail staff in the airport shops looked angry and harsh and unsmiling. A German family from the flight told me that that's how people in their country are.

Are they supposed to be wilder than Americans?

And another German told me that people don't really talk to strangers in Germany.

He probably means prudish in regards to sex and drinking which are definitely less of a problem there. And in Germany they do not talk with strangers, true but they say that friendships there last a long time, that in the US people actually do say Hi and smile but you cannot make lasting friends. This is what I have heard from other Germans.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

Prostituition is legal in Germany and the hookers are HOT!. In Munich, you can go into the city park and sunbath naked. I've read that they have had over 300,000 people there at times sunbathing nude! There are no strip clubs; all you do is go to a sauna. The women go naked.

It is true that they don't have good customer service. That is one downside that you have to deal with. But they also aren't "fake nice" like clerks are expected to be here. They don't paint a smile on their faces if they aren't happy, and if you ask them how they are doing , they'll respond honestly.

Put this up on your dating site. Freenet.de for dating german fraus. I think they are the best looking women in the world.
Master
Junior Poster
Location: Insane Asylum, Strip Joints, Playboy Mansion, Public Enemies List No.1, Harley Quinn's Heart

Post by Master »

i enjoyed that post quite well. ive noticed that a lot people here write quite well and are very educated.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Then how come there are many German men in Russia looking for women? When I talked to them, they said that German women were monsters and that if you try to buy them a drink, they get offended. How can that be?

Master
Junior Poster
Location: Insane Asylum, Strip Joints, Playboy Mansion, Public Enemies List No.1, Harley Quinn's Heart

Post by Master »

well you cant solve all the riddles. I cant say much about this subject though from experience ive noticed german woman are hard and demanding. They seem not to be there emotionally. because of that men might be not want them. I know people in general want someone to love them for who they are and who wants to be loved for materialistic things, being treated like a dog, or being constantly demanded?

im sure you know the answer to that.

thats happened to me, here in USA. i dont understand how can anyone be offended by being bought a drink, especially in a social club, like a dance club. obviously when you go to a club the main object is to get laid, though tons of stupid women and people act like you shouldnt go to clubs for that. Like if you should go there to have fun while you see tons of fine women dancing shaking their asses. who are they kidding? im going to want to f**k that if i see women shaking their ass. dont blame me for being a man.

a lot of women dont really care about a drink and they see it as a way as a come on. of course as i say this i mean good looking stuck up skanks. a drink to them is nothing. they rather chase a guy that ignores them because they get more fulfillment that way. because they are miserable and feeling shameful is a way of release for the cruelty that they have committed. of course in the other hand if the girl isnt stuck up or doesnt think shes attractive or gets hit on a lot, she might think a drink is a big complement and sleep with you just for that. its ironic.

anyhow, stay away from bloodsuckers.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

That's one of the reasons I left the USA, white males are shit upon and passed over by less qualified minorities for the most part by the political correct progressive liberal machine. I refuse to partake in giving any of my money through taxes to a country that does not represent the original values of the founding fathers and the constitution. The states are like the frog in the pot, not realizing the water is slowly cooking him from within, while he feels all is safe and secure around him. (Reminds me of the global warming hysteria!) Soon he will be dead and eaten. America as it was once known in the past is dead. All one can hope for is that parts of the states separate eventually and create their own governing body that parallels the original intent of the constitution and limit illegal and unskilled immigration. Also there needs to be screening for various 3rd world diseases as we have stopped doing this and now we have all kinds of health issues that were once eliminated from the USA.

Really the only thing a person of European descent can do who is from the USA is sit and wait or hide somewhere in the boonie lands where one can ignore the daily bullshit being forced upon American society now. If one wants to stay in a western style country, Australia may be an option, but they have their own positives and negatives as well, just like USA or Canada. Western Europe is dead as Arabs and middle easterners in 50 years or more will be running the show there as they are producing the babies and not the local whites. Eastern Europe is still a possibility but the history of that region is volatile and can't be trusted for any guarantee of regular future prosperity.

So I'll just remain a vagabond for now and see what happens.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

WWu777 wrote:Then how come there are many German men in Russia looking for women? When I talked to them, they said that German women were monsters and that if you try to buy them a drink, they get offended. How can that be?
How many German men? What do you mean- 'many'? 10, 20, 30, 100, 1000, 10,000? 100,000? 1,000,000?

Well, there will always be a percentage of any men in Russia looking for women. Germany is better than the US, but Russia is better yet than Germany.

Plus they were probably looking for young cute ones, because in the West women can be very ageist, you know. That is another reason. Plus in most rich countries they are stuck up. In America they are the worst, in Germany, better, but still not enough for all the guys that want pretty young girls. And yes, whores are legal and there are nude parks but it does not mean that many shy and /or middle aged guys can easily partake in such pleasures, So they go to Russia. Some of them.
MoscowSummerNights
Freshman Poster

Post by MoscowSummerNights »

I am an American who has spent most of his adult life in Germany. I am going back to Munich from Russia tomorrow because
I need to do some banking and business there (you cannot ignore Germany for business).

I always preferred Germany to the USA because of the naked women at the swimming pools and the way
they like to go to ballroom dancing schools where many hook up for long term relationships.

But I would say now that I prefer American women to German women. Why? There is a vicious new trend in Germany to
simply stop emailing a man for no reason and a 20 year old is very likely to reject a 40 year old that way...no ability to be friends.

Most successful German single males I know date Romanians or Hungarians or Russians or Ukrainian women.

The new generation is not comfortable being naked in saunas. The most gorgeous women know they are gorgeous and a sauna is probably the last place they will allow themselves to be met. Plus the best looking women 18-25 mostly cannot afford the 12 Euro sauna fee and can be found at the regular pool instead.

German women are the prudest in the world...even if they go naked in saunas it does not mean they will respect you for even trying to hold their hand in a theatre. They talk about Americans being prude but American women often are OK with sex on the 1st date. German women have never shown that they can even talk about sex and it just tends to happen if a relationship goes more than 4 dates.

Quite honestly...I do not really want to live in Munich more than Kiev, even if my career chances are better in Munich selling American products.

In Munich you can go 6 months without a decent date. Women do not like older men because of feminism. Women second guess men because of feminism. Women think they will be beautiful forever because of feminism.

In Kiev, you cannot go 24 hours without a hot date. The difference is night and day.
Plaintiffs needed to fight IMBRA and VAWA which legally codify foreign women as little children unable to defend themselves against evil American men
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

Yea, yadislav hit the nail on the head.

There are a lot of 45 year olds who want to date 20 year olds and they aren't going to be happy in Germany.
But I am ok dating 35-40 year olds and in Germany there are a ton of attractive ladies in that age group. You rarely see women in Germany insult you for your being interested-which is very common in the US. And they are much, much more sexy and pretty.

Here--not too many 35-45 year olds are attractive. And if you want 20 year olds, your going to have to be a thug or rich/high status.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

MoscowSummer. I've heard it has always been frowned upon to try to pick up women in the suanas? It's just not the place your supposed to be hitting on women--according to german culture.

I am coming to Munich in a couple of weeks; maybe we could meet for a beer or two?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

There are a lot of 45 year olds who want to date 20 year olds and they aren't going to be happy in Germany.
Rural Ukraine will be OK for those. The Philippines is heaven on earth for such activities where the age of a man does not matter at all- a 45 year old with a 20 year old will get second looks from people, though, because many are used to seeing 65 year olds with 18 year olds there. So, a somewaht smaller age difference is unusual.
But I am ok dating 35-40 year olds and in Germany there are a ton of attractive ladies in that age group. You rarely see women in Germany insult you for your being interested-which is very common in the US. And they are much, much more sexy and pretty.
Slimmer, too, I guess.
Here--not too many 35-45 year olds are attractive. And if you want 20 year olds, your going to have to be a thug or rich/high status.
And famous, too. Tom Cruise-famous.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

slimmer yes! And they wear skirts and dresses and keep their hair long. They are more feminine in personality too.