Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Help!!! Winston... Anybody... fitting in with the locals?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Help!!! Winston... Anybody... fitting in with the locals?

Postby picasso25 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:05 am

Hey I was thinking of relocating to a foreign country in the future, I'm thinking croatia, denmark or slovenia, I know Winston that you have relocated to the philippines, I was wondering when you were settling down permanently in the philippines did you get a lot of scorn from locals, I mean while there did people ever give you looks or the feeling like they wanted to say go back to your country? do you receive alot of jealousy from locals especially male locals? also was it very hard to fit in as one of the people rather than being a outsider that they want to leak money from? socially, does the acceptance seem genuine?

I ask because I really would like to move to one of the foreign countries above but I fear that maybe I will receive alot of scorn for wanting to settle there. I just would like to go a country where I " fit in", where I can make friends easily, have dating options, and live life. I think I'm scared that I will be in a country where the people will lead me on to think they accept me, while secretly do things to sabotage me and encourage me to do things that will work to my ruin out of resentment towards me because I'm a American in their country that they feel is taking advantage of their resources, any thoughts.....Winston.....Anybody.......?
American women!!! Yuk!!!

what's that? you wanna tell me about who paris hilton is dating now. who cares!!!!
picasso25
Freshman Poster

what are you going for?

Postby Montanaland » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:18 am

I think you will fit in most countries as long as you except thier culture and do not buck the trend/culture in some major way. What are you wanting to get out of Denmark, Croatia or Slovenia? Is your plan to work in these places? Is your goal to experience women and dating, a low cost of living, or just the pure culture, history and day to day life in these countries?

I can't imagine any problems with being accepted.
Montanaland
Freshman Poster

Postby picasso25 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:04 am

I chose Demark, Croatia, and Slovenia because I'm a African American male, Unfortuantely there are alot of countries that I would have LOVED to visit but I found out there are very hostile towards black people in general including non=american blacks, Russia and France examples. I'm a black person that does not fit the loud, rude stereotype of African American in the U.S. I'm very friendly, compassionate, intelligent, polite and bit sensitive, unfortuantely, being raised this way I don't fit as well in the black community or the U.S. culture in general. Someone ask Winston about with countries are open and closed to black people and a few that he and others posted that interested me were Denmark, Croatia and Slovenia. Also in these countries with the exception of Denmark, my buying power increases. I heared Germany was also good, but When ever I do research on Germany on the internet I keep hearing about racism in Germany, so I'm a little fearful about going there. MOST importantly, I wanted to go to a place where the women are attractive and they WANT Nice guys, NO THUGS, for example, I heared some reports that women in Germany like black guys BUT only THUGGISH black guys. I just would like to date women who like guys with values and morals. I feel like in the U.S. I am encouraged to degrade my morals and character in order to date women, which I REFUSE to do, I tend to be attracted to lighter skin women, either light skin black women, white women, light skin latin women, although i have dated and been attracted to a small ratio of women who were brown or dark skinned, So the only places that I heard of from the post that have either women who are white or light skinned that like black men WHO ARE NOT THUGGISH, are Demark, Croatia, and Slovenia, Some people have suggested the philipines, but I haven't seen too many filipino women that I'm attracted to and the few that I am I noticed tend to be light skinned and have european features , any thoughts?
American women!!! Yuk!!!

what's that? you wanna tell me about who paris hilton is dating now. who cares!!!!
picasso25
Freshman Poster

Postby ladislav » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:25 am

Why not try Panama, Brazil and Ethiopia? Also, countries like Morocco would be open to you.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Winston » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:05 am

No I haven't permanently settled here. I am on a tourist visa after all. I just live here for the moment.

I feel very accepted here. The Philippines is the most inclusive and open and least racist country in Asia. But some white guys experience jealousy from the local guys. I don't ever get dirty looks from them, but some guys do.

Blacks do well here too. Some Filipinas like them, especially the rap/R&B types. But it doesn't seem like you are that type. As long as you are nice and well mannered, they appreciate it.

As to the rest of the countries you asked about, remember different people evoke different responses from others. You gotta go there and just try them out. That's the only way you'll know.

But for blacks, yeah there was a thread here somewhere about the best countries for black guys. You can do a search for it.

In Germany, racism and skinheads are illegal. It is pretty safe. How about Holland? That is a very liberal country too. There are always girls that are curious about black guys and want to try them out, even if they are just a minority.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Repatriate » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Canada and Australia don't have very many african-american type blacks so you'd do well there from what i've heard. In Australia most of the prejudice is against Aboriginal type black people which is much different from what you are. The fact is African-american media culture is pretty popular around in the world. I don't think you would have a problem in most of western Europe because of this. I know Japan is somewhat open in a weird way but it's limited to stereotypical hip hop type black people.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Postby Grunt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:35 pm

You show up in a former soviet nation like Croatia as a black guy and youll most likely get killed at some point. Unless you choose a cosmopolitan city like Prague, but even then you may run into problems. Former communists are very open and free with their racism, they make no attempt to hide it. I saw two black guys when I lived in the Czech Republic, and I lived there for a year and moved around quite a bit. Both of them looked like they would much rather be somewhere else. I suggest South America where you find caribbean blacks blended quite well with the overall population, or maybe Japan, but never a FSU nation.

I am as white as the day is long and I got nothing but grief from Czechs and Ukrainians. Best part is, when I moved to Montana with my hot young Ukrainian wife, the local skanks (virtually all of them, by default) declared war on her, resulting in her being poisoned. The local guys did all they could to make our lives miserable out of sheer jealousy.

Americans, especially poorly educated meth-head rednecks with no hope and no future can be worse than any african bushman when it comes to douchebaggery.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Postby Jackal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi Picasso,

The easiest way to be accepted by the locals is learn the basics of their language (i.e. learn how to make your own simple sentences and jokes which go beyond the usual travel phrases). This shows that you're not just another stag party dick stopping by for the weekend.

This is my second year living in Hungary and I get along better with the locals now that I know more of their language. If you insist on speaking English to everyone, then yes, there are many countries in which many people will just consider you a rude dick. The key to show you're different is always learning the language. The key to understanding what people are saying about you is learning the language. It's that simple and that difficult.

You might try to date some gypsies in Eastern Europe. Contrary to the stereotypes, they are not all thugs. Some clean, law-abiding, educated ones live in the cities. Some are very pretty, too--sort of like Mexican chicks. The more wild ones seem to live out in the countryside.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby Mr S » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Grunt wrote: I am as white as the day is long and I got nothing but grief from Czechs and Ukrainians. Best part is, when I moved to Montana with my hot young Ukrainian wife, the local skanks (virtually all of them, by default) declared war on her, resulting in her being poisoned. The local guys did all they could to make our lives miserable out of sheer jealousy.

Poisoned? How did that happen? You should have moved to New England somewhere, they are more tolerant and less hillbillies running around. You can find rural places to live without being bothered much. the general populous is more educated in that region. Although it is more expensive to live there. New Hampshire is ok and Maine is also if you don't mind the extended winters with cold weather and snow.

I think you said you were leaving the states anyways but if you had to live in a region of the states then its ok over there if you already have a wife. It sucks though if your single. Nova Scotia area of Canada is nice too.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby Grunt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:50 pm

The locals were putting small amounts of commercial grade rat poison in our food when we ordered out or got fast food (McDonalds Taco Johns and Pizza Hut etc). My wife got pregnant, but the fetus developed something called anencephaly, or the failure to develop a brain. Extremely extremely rare condition, and the out of town doctor we went to said it was the worst case he had seen in 15 odd years.

I did some research and anencephaly mostly results from organophosphate (rat poison) exposure early in the pregnancy. The local doctors, and most of the towns 3000 residents I suspect, all knew the fetus was dead. The only ones that didnt know was my wife and I. She had ultrasounds done at least twice, but the hospital scum said everything was fine, they wanted their money from our insurance company of course.

Anyhow, the out of town doctor that performed the abortion (cost me an extra $4000) said there was no f***ing way in hell that the ultrasound techs or doctors could NOT have seen that something was tragically wrong with the fetus. After the poisoning we left the town we were in, Cut Bank, and moved the the "richest" town in Montana. A town called Kalispell. Everyone I talked to about the incident told me I was batshit insane and that people dont just go around poisoning other people for no reason.

Shortly after that we left Cut Bank, a U.S. Border Patrol Officer that had just transferred into the area was poisoned at the very same McDonalds we used to go to. Just google "border patrol cut bank poisoned" to see the story. Oddly enough, people stopped saying I was a paranoid lunatic after the Border Guard got poisoned. He actually died a couple times when they were flying him to Great Falls in the helicopter. Its now two years later, with no arrests and no real investigation. The population of Cut Bank is 3000 people. There were 3 people working at the McDonalds the day of the poisoning.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Postby Winston » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:42 am

That's terrible Grunt. It would make for a good movie with Julia Roberts as lawyer though. Why don't you go to the media about this or sue their asses in court? You could get millions if you prove your case and win. And put those bastards in jail. You should have just lived in the Pacific Northwest. Everyone is anti social there and would leave you alone and expect you to do the same.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Grunt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Well the problem with Montana is, virtually every single badge in the state from local beat cop on up to FBI is utterly corrupt. It would be like suing fish for being wet. What you or I think of as absolutely idiotic, Montana residents see as perfectly normal. The best thing to do is never go there. This allows the locals to grind each other into dust.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Postby gmm567 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm

I grew up in Helena. The state of Montana hasn't had an honest governor since state hood.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Re: help!!!! Winston..Anybody.., fitting in with the locals?

Postby Contrarian Expatriate » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:25 am

picasso25 wrote:Hey I was thinking of relocating to a foreign country in the future, I'm thinking croatia, denmark or slovenia, I know Winston that you have relocated to the philipines, I was wondering when you were settling down permanently in the philipines did you get a lot of scorn from locals, I mean while there did people ever give you looks or the feeling like they wanted to say go back to your country? do you recieve alot of jealousy from locals especially male locals? also was it very hard to fit in as one of the people rather than being a outsider that they want to leak money from? socially, does the acceptance seem genuine?
I ask because I really would like to move to one of the foreign countries above but I fear that maybe I will receive alot of scorn for wanting to settle there. I just would like to go a country where I " fit in", where I can make friends easily, have dating options, and live life. I think I'm scared that I will be in a country where the people will lead me on to think they accept me, while secretly do things to sabotage me and encourage me to do things that will work to my ruin out of resentment towards me because I'm a American in their country that they feel is taking advantage of their resources, any thoughts.....Winston.....Anybody.......?

If you are looking to "fit in" do not travel abroad. Fitting in is not at all the point of travel, but adapting well enough to function, and enjoy should be the focal points. I've written two blog entries on your concerns that you should read very closely.

http://thedeclineofmyamerica.blogspot.c ... iring.html

http://unspokenethnictruths.blogspot.co ... ommon.html

Overall, I get the sense that you simply have the novice traveler jitters. This is to be expected. They will go away as soon as you become seasoned.

By the way, I have found that people's opinions about where I "would like" are usually wrong. People are well intentioned, but you need to get out there to find those places that resonate with you. People insisted for years that I would like Latin America, but I find it the worst part of the world, by far.

You must get out there and discover new places off the beaten path because they will be the best for you. Croatia and Slovenia would be great choices with which to start.

If you are concerned about skinheads, just search Google with the terms Skinhead and the name of the capital city to review the history.

After your first few trips abroad, you will come back scornful of the US when you see how good you have it. Just being yourself is more than enough to get you the social life you dream of.
Feel free to visit my sites and to leave your respected words of wisdom:

http://thedeclineofmyamerica.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/ContrarianExpatriate
Contrarian Expatriate
Experienced Poster

Postby globetrotter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:35 pm

I mean while there did people ever give you looks or the feeling like they wanted to say go back to your country?

Of course. The older women in China give men like me the Evil Eye. There are all personality types everywhere - like the 2 farmers who bought me vodka and had a drinking game with me. We could not understand a word each other said, but we all had a great time.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to General Discussions