Guys What News Sources Do You Use as Expats?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Guys What News Sources Do You Use as Expats?

Post by globetrotter »

Winston, Ladislav and others what sources do you use? I am just sick of the US media even in the small doses I get once or twice a week. The stridency is just too much for me even if I agree with the presenter. I am just fed up with so much of US culture.

So where do you get news that reports about the world with a minimum of left or right bias?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I personally like the International Herald Tribune, but that might include too many NYT articles for your taste.

The best route is to get a "free to air" satellite hookup that will get BBC, English Al Jazeera (It's actually similar to BBC), and Russia Today which is in English.

Local cable tv services usually have that too.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Not an expat per se (I only spend 2 months out of the country every year), but I find certain articles on the Christian Science Monitor to be excellent. This one I read today, reflicts one European conservative "post-neocon realpolitik" thinking:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2 ... n-disarray

The article is 6 pages and I highly recommend reading at least a few page's worth. It's pretty blunt. Quote:

"American policy has gone through different moments and trends. Robert Kagan’s view in “The Return of History� is a caricature, but not entirely wrong. The US has retained a culture of power and force. They are not deluded idealists, whereas, since World War II, Europeans cultivated an illusion of becoming a great Switzerland. The Europeans have hope in a post-historic, post-traumatic, post-identity world -- a great international community. It would be possible if there were 6.5 billion Europeans on the planet! That’s why I think America’s attitude is in general more realistic, even though sometimes, the US uses force badly."

"The Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld approach is not that different from the colonial powers’ approach in the 19th century, which was working at the time but is not working now. The neocon approach of bringing democracy everywhere, relayed in France by [Foreign Minister Bernard] Kouchner under the concept of democratic intervention, doesn’t work, either. We can’t even manage to change a dictatorship like Burma."