America: The Grim Truth

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

momopi wrote:
ladislav wrote:
FuzzX wrote:That's crazy red dog... unpaid internships!!! Yikes... you know a recession proof industry? Truck Driving... its also fairly easy to start. All companies are hiring american and canadian truckers right now and getting your CDL isn't too hard... it cost me $5000 and I got hired on at a 50k/year job the very same month I graduated.

A better alternative to kissing some 20 y/o's ass if you ask me.
How much money can you save by working as a truck driver? I mean how much cash can one put in the bank monthly? And is the work easy? Also, what about the age limit?
Back in the 1990's, truck drives made very good money. If you delivered stuff like seafood, you get bonuses for meeting your delivery deadline / arriving early. I knew a guy who trucked seafood with his wife, and they would take turns driving. Because they worked as a team, they delivered faster than the solo drivers. That couple was able to save enough cash to buy rental properties across Los Angeles, and retired early.

Unfortunately, with the rising cost of gas today, the expenses are far higher and it's harder to make a profit.
Which means how much as a ball park figure? What's the range now.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

ladislav wrote:
momopi wrote:
ladislav wrote:
FuzzX wrote:That's crazy red dog... unpaid internships!!! Yikes... you know a recession proof industry? Truck Driving... its also fairly easy to start. All companies are hiring american and canadian truckers right now and getting your CDL isn't too hard... it cost me $5000 and I got hired on at a 50k/year job the very same month I graduated.

A better alternative to kissing some 20 y/o's ass if you ask me.
How much money can you save by working as a truck driver? I mean how much cash can one put in the bank monthly? And is the work easy? Also, what about the age limit?
Back in the 1990's, truck drives made very good money. If you delivered stuff like seafood, you get bonuses for meeting your delivery deadline / arriving early. I knew a guy who trucked seafood with his wife, and they would take turns driving. Because they worked as a team, they delivered faster than the solo drivers. That couple was able to save enough cash to buy rental properties across Los Angeles, and retired early.

Unfortunately, with the rising cost of gas today, the expenses are far higher and it's harder to make a profit.
Which means how much as a ball park figure? What's the range now.
http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truck-driver-facts/
http://www.truckersdispatch.com/cdl-and ... ng-faq.php

There are different kinds of truck drivers. You have guys who drive 18-wheelers across the country, and then you got local guys who drive smaller trucks to deliver freshly baked bread every morning. How much you make depends on how much you want to drive.

...and then you have shady guys who drive vans and deliver "sushi grade seafood" to restaurants across town on cash and carry basis.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

And each category earns how much on the average, or maximum/minimum?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

ladislav wrote:And each category earns how much on the average, or maximum/minimum?
Ask the guys on trucker forums! My information is from the 1990's and not applicable in 2010.