Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

Scam free! Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Big cities vs. Small towns: Which is friendlier?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Halwick » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:19 am

I've been to small towns in Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, North Carolina, Michigan and Indiana and find people in those small towns are more wary, suspicious and xenophobic of outsiders and strangers, especially if you are a non-Caucasian or non-Christian.

They are also nosey and your personal business seems to matter a great deal to them. I suppose that's "just bein' friendly and folksy."

On the other hand, if you know somebody, particularly one with a good reputation, in that small town, the people will extend that friendliness and hospitality to you.

But if you don't know anybody in a small town, it's hard to earn that trust and friendship.

In the big cities, nobody cares who or what you are and nobody bothers you, which is fine with me.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:02 pm

I lived in a small town my whole life before I left. I wish they were some kind of haven or "hold out," but they are just as mainstream as the rest of the culture. And no, for anybody wondering, they are not resistant to feminism or less feminist than big American cities.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby In2dadark » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:23 pm

I agree it would depend on where you are standing as to whether ST's are good are will quickly start to strangle you. That being said, generally speaking I like mid sized cities. In a broad sense, small towns suck ass. Big cities can overwhelm or be great. Frankfurt is one, I lived in for a time, that I liked.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Yeah but the traffic is better in small towns. Not many cars. Easy to get to places. Easy to find parking. No one honks at you. Drivers are more relaxed. I like driving and am not in a rush to get places.

People in small towns are more relaxed about talking to strangers, however, those that talk to strangers are usually older folks. Older folks are talkative and enjoy saying hi and making small talk. Some will hold deep conversations and talk about the good old days vs. how everything sucks now. lol
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Wed May 21, 2014 6:18 am

An observation I had while traveling:

People in small towns tend to be more down-to-earth than people in cities. The reason is because cities (especially big cities) tend to attract people who are materialistic, shallow, fake, corrupt, money sharks, and disconnected from nature and spirituality. That's why those are the types of people you find in big cities. On the other hand, small towns attract people who like peace and quiet, and the natural surroundings of the countryside. They are more laid back too. Thus you will find more authentic down-to-earth types in small towns and rural areas, and out hiking in nature too.

I think I know why. Artificial people fit in more with artificial environments, whereas authentic people fit in more with nature and natural surroundings -- because nature is more authentic than cities are of course. In general, the bigger the city, the more artificial the people will be, and the smaller the city, the less artificial they will be. Fake, shallow, corrupt personalities do not truly connect with nature, nor with peace and quiet. They find nature to be hollow and small towns to be boring. They can't stand peace and quiet because they have no inner life and do not like to face the ugliness of their soul, so they need constant distractions. They lack the ability to be one with nature or one with the universe.

Does that make sense?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Tezcatlipoca » Wed May 21, 2014 9:42 pm

I've heard other people say small towns are more helpful but more intrusive whereas big cities will leave you to do your thing but will let you starve in the street. I think it's true.
Stop being angry at the stuff you don't have (yet) in life and instead focus on how to get it.
Tezcatlipoca
Freshman Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussions