Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

TFL manifesto?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Winston » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Jackal wrote:Eh, I watched about 30 seconds of that video and then had enough of him saying "f**k" every three words. I don't mind some swearing, but swearing every other word gets repetitive and annoying.

When I look at Dwayne, I think about how unhealthy his lifestyle is. All that extra fat causes high blood pressure. Couple that with being angry all the time and you have the making of a heart attack!

I hope, for his sake, that he will take up both exercise and meditation to lose weight and calm his mind.

I think it's important to watch that video though, even if it's annoying, because it represents what a lot of guys really feel deep down, but are ashamed to publicly admit it. So he really speaks for the frustration and quiet desperation of many guys in the US. It's a glimpse into a reality which many would prefer to avoid.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby The_Adventurer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:01 am

Sadly, going abroad is the best way to lose weight. Just getting away from America's over processed, genetically modified, hormone infested, largely synthetic food products will do wonders for your health.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Postby Jackal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Mr S wrote:This is the best free sight I found for getting in shape and maintaining a healthy lifestyle...

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm

I agree that he's a good source of info for most things. The main thing I disagree with him about is rep speed. He always tells people to perform repetitions of exercises in a very slow and controlled manner. However, if you want to gain muscle size, it's often better to lift the weight much faster so you can use more weight. Lifting quickly with correct form is very different than lifting quickly with bad form (which Scooby makes fun of, and rightly so).

Powerlifters and Olympic weightlifters train explosively and many of them have great physiques.

Here's a picture of an amazing Latvian powerlifter:
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby Mr S » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:09 pm

Jackal wrote:
Mr S wrote:This is the best free sight I found for getting in shape and maintaining a healthy lifestyle...

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm

I agree that he's a good source of info for most things. The main thing I disagree with him about is rep speed. He always tells people to perform repetitions of exercises in a very slow and controlled manner. However, if you want to gain muscle size, it's often better to lift the weight much faster so you can use more weight. Lifting quickly with correct form is very different than lifting quickly with bad form (which Scooby makes fun of, and rightly so).

Powerlifters and Olympic weightlifters train explosively and many of them have great physiques.

Here's a picture of an amazing Latvian powerlifter:

Well that's just it, it all depends what you are ultimately after body-look wise. I think Scooby is more about health and how his body looks so slow is ok. IF you have to compete or need to be really strong then yeah lifting heavy weight fast is better. But i think that picture you posted is the exception most power lifters are chunky or very stocky looking. Most guys in the gym want a more leaner and defined look unless they are doing sports or some kind of fighting thing on the side.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 pm

I've been trying to lose weight for many years. But the thing is, every time I start to get thinner and lose some fat, I get strong hunger pains and cravings for junk food, until I"m back to being overweight again. What can I do about that? I'm afraid I don't have much willpower either when it comes to food. The chemicals in cakes, cookies, and other junk food make your body addicted to them.

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby S_Parc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:35 pm

But the thing is, every time I start to get thinner and lose some fat, I get strong hunger pains and cravings for junk food, until I"m back to being overweight again. What can I do about that?

Well, here's what I've found... if I restrict the junk food to before 4PM, then diet & exercise work. I think part of the reason for that is that your blood insulin levels stay depressed (since evening hrs junk food is highly glycemic) during your overnight and thus, you can get the right growth hormone secretion for increased muscle tone and less body fat. Otherwise, you work out and the fat comes right back.

So if you can eat the trash before 4PM and then do some regular exercise, bike/rowing & weights, you'll get better results.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Postby Jackal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:55 pm

S_Parc wrote:Well, here's what I've found... if I restrict the junk food to before 4PM, then diet & exercise work. I think part of the reason for that is that your blood insulin levels stay depressed (since evening hrs junk food is highly glycemic) during your overnight and thus, you can get the right growth hormone secretion for increased muscle tone and less body fat. Otherwise, you work out and the fat comes right back.

So if you can eat the trash before 4PM and then do some regular exercise, bike/rowing & weights, you'll get better results.

I agree that eating your more of your calories earlier in the day gives you a greater chance to burn them off, but it's also important to eat something after your workouts (especially after working out with weights) to help your muscles recover. It doesn't need to be a huge meal, but it's good to eat some protein and some carbs after working out. Also, your muscles mainly repair themselves while you sleep, so if your goal is to build muscle it's good to eat a slow-digesting source of protein, such as milk or cottage cheese before you go to bed (although if you're also trying to lose weight, you have to be careful with this...).

I've also read one trainer who recommends eating starchy carbs (potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, etc.) ONLY after working out because the muscles use the energy from carbs much more readily at that time. The rest of the time he recommends that you just eat fruits, vegetables, protein, and some healthy fats. The best time to cheat and eat something unhealthy is after an intense workout because your muscles will be ready to soak up the carbs.

Winston wrote:I've been trying to lose weight for many years. But the thing is, every time I start to get thinner and lose some fat, I get strong hunger pains and cravings for junk food, until I"m back to being overweight again. What can I do about that? I'm afraid I don't have much willpower either when it comes to food. The chemicals in cakes, cookies, and other junk food make your body addicted to them.

Try replacing carbs with protein. And try to eat slow-digesting carbs like whole grains which make you feel more full. You can also eat foods which are low in calories like vegetables, which fill up your stomach volume-wise.

Drinking only or mostly water is a quick and easy way to cut calories. Cutting white sugar and white flour from your diet will also do wonders, but this can be tough to do depending on what the local food is like where you live. Often you have to always cook for yourself to be able to do this.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby Jackal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Mr S wrote:Well that's just it, it all depends what you are ultimately after body-look wise. I think Scooby is more about health and how his body looks so slow is ok. IF you have to compete or need to be really strong then yeah lifting heavy weight fast is better. But i think that picture you posted is the exception most power lifters are chunky or very stocky looking. Most guys in the gym want a more leaner and defined look unless they are doing sports or some kind of fighting thing on the side.

Yeah, and it also depends which training style you enjoy. If you enjoy the way you train, you'll go to the gym more often. Some people find the powerlifter style of training more enjoyable; others prefer bodybuilder-style workouts.

Anyway, to get back to Dwayne, I think he could get a lot out of doing bodyweight exercises because he has so much of it! He's basically carrying around a gym with him. Regular pushups would be way too tough for him, but he could do an easier version like doing them pushing off a wall. He could also do squats with just his bodyweight.

If he builds a little bit of muscle underneath his fat, he will burn more calories even when resting.

If he's really gung ho about shaping up, he could try climbing stairs or walking uphill. With that much body weight, this will be very intense exercise.

I hope he succeeds in losing weight.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby S_Parc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:17 pm

One other point is that I think everyone should get something like an exercise bike. The reason for it is that jogging, for many persons, is hard on the ankles and knees. The microtraumas which can start there, tend to go unnoticed until a major fracture occurs. With a stationary bike, it's virtually impossible to really mess up (unless you're trying for it).

Thus, with the bike, one can do 15-40 mins, practically every day of the week, risk free. One needs at least a day off between jogging sets.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Cure Your Cravings

Postby Mr S » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 am

Cure Your Cravings by Ignoring This Widely Followed Conventional Advice

Should you eat after dinner, or eat a big meal at night at all, if you want to lose weight?

Opinions do differ on this subject, and below are two experts' takes on this controversial topic.

Ori Hofmekler's Opinion

Biologists have been classifying species as day eaters and night eaters. For instance, cows are primarily day "grazers" and wild cats are primarily nocturnal hunters.

Humans are inherently nocturnal eaters. The evidence for that is in your nervous system.

Your autonomic nervous system regulates your circadian clock, and all your actions throughout the day and night are controlled by that system, including the way you were designed to eat.

Your autonomic nervous system is divided into two parts:

The sympathetic nervous system (SNS) that regulates your activities during the day.
The parasympathetic nervous system (PSNS) that regulates your activities during the night.
During the day, your SNS promotes energy expenditure and fat burning. It keeps you alert, focused and ready for action. When you're doing your daily job for instance or when you exercise, you're under control of the SNS.

But this system cannot tolerate large meals. And every time you eat a large full meal, you shut down your sympathetic nervous system. Instead, you activate the nightly nervous system, which is your PSNS.

The PSNS makes you sluggish and sleepy. This is why you typically get tired and sleepy after a big lunch. And instead of spending energy and burning fat, your body actually stores energy with a tendency to gain fat.

So how do you adjust your feeding schedule to accommodate your circadian clock?

There is a simple way to do that.

Have your main meal at night!

Your Ideal Daytime Meal Plan

During the day, eat foods that fit your SNS. It accepts light, fast assimilating, low glycemic foods.

This means that your best choices during the day are small, fresh, low-glycemic protein meals such as:

Quality whey protein
Raw eggs
Raw vegetables
Low glycemic fruits, such as berries
Note that quality whey protein provides your body with special amino acids and nutritional co-factors to support your SNS and daily activities. Whey protein has also shown to support weight loss, and it has been reported to enhance cognitive and physical function.

Raw fruits and vegetables promote detox and help alleviate your body's metabolic stress during the active hours of the day.

So what should you eat in the evening, for dinner?

Dinner – Why this Should Be Your Largest Meal

This is the right time to eat your main meal. Contrary to popular belief, supper should be your largest meal of the day.

Yes, it goes against what you've been told, time and time again. But regardless, evening is the appropriate time to eat large amounts of food; raw and cooked.

For protein, select slow-digesting proteins such as

Wild-caught fish
Organic, grass-fed meat
Free-range chicken
Eggs (ideally raw, or lightly cooked)
Cheese
Nuts and seeds
Legumes
These slow-digesting protein foods nourish your muscles while inducing a long lasting anabolic effect throughout the night. Large nightly meals also help replenish your energy reserves, and they help elevate your body's metabolic rate.

I addressed this in greater detail in my book The Warrior Diet.

I've received thousands of testimonials from people who have managed to lose weight while eating a lot of food at night, and without the typical calorie restrictions required by weight loss programs.

But note that this way of eating doesn't allow you to "pig out" at night and eat whatever you want. You need to keep the following rules:

Keep your meals low glycemic
Avoid refined carbohydrate food, made with white flour, sugar or fructose
Avoid refined vegetable oils
Keep the right food combinations:

Do not mix grains with nuts
Do not mix grains with dried fruits
Do not mix nuts with dried fruits
Do not mix alcohol with grains . If you insist on having alcohol, have it with protein and vegetables. For instance, having wine and cheese is ok. But, having wine with pasta is not ok.
Most importantly, document your progress!

About Ori Hofmekler

Ori Hofmekler is the former editor-in-chief of Mind and Muscle Power Magazine, and the author of Maximum Muscle Minimum Fat, which addresses the science principles behind muscle gain and fat loss; The Anti-Estrogenic Diet; The Warrior Diet, and the upcoming book Unlocking the Muscle Gene/ North Atlantic Books. For more information, see this link.

Darin Steen's Opinion

You may have heard the old adage that you shouldn't eat past 6 pm if you are trying to lose weight. On the surface, it seems to make sense. But let's dig a little deeper.

There is a Difference Between Losing Weight and Losing Fat

Anyone can lose weight. But there's a big difference between losing weight and losing fat.

Common sense tells you that to lose weight you need to eat less and move more. A lot of uninformed people therefore increase energy expenditure by walking or jogging and severely restrict calories. I call this the "I'll run five miles and eat a couple of salads per day" syndrome.

This method will let your scale weight drop, but at what expense?

What are you losing?

What you lose with this approach is muscle, water, and anabolic hormones such as growth hormone and testosterone. You end up losing that which you need to feel strong and healthy. Once you get discouraged with this approach and start to cave in to your cravings, many times your eating will get out of control. And since you're lowering your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) during the calorie reduction phase, you now become fatter with less muscle.

This is the classic "yo-yo syndrome." It is a vicious cycle that is challenging to break without proper information.

When it comes to when and what to eat to optimize fat loss, first you need to realize that 'conventional wisdom' might not be so wise after all… For example, the classic recommendation to make lunch your biggest meal actually works against your natural biology. Ditto for not eating past 6 pm.

How the Starvation Mechanism Can Hinder Your Fat Loss Potential

Another oft-repeated recommendation you've probably heard is that you should eat three square meals a day. But this too can work against you, especially when you're trying to shed excess fat.

Eating smaller meals, more often though-out the day, helps your body function optimally by stabilizing your blood sugar and giving your body a steady supply of energy.When it comes to keeping muscle and losing fat, three square meals a day just doesn't cut it.

Eating small meals in and of itself helps to burn more calories and stoke up your metabolism. It also helps you side-step one of the killers of any fat loss program: the starvation mechanism.

Not too long ago man did not have easy and continuous access to food. We were dependent on Mother Nature, with seasons of bounty and scarcity. So through the evolution of mankind, our bodies realized that in order to live longer in times of famine, our metabolism had to slow down. Our bodies were forced to lose muscle in order to burn less calories and thus, survive.

Today, even though the risk of famine is very low, the "starvation mechanism" is still in your genes. When too much time passes between meals, your body goes into a catabolic state and muscle-wasting begins in order to slow down metabolism and burn less calories.

Keys for Eating Small Meals Often

If you are presently eating two or three bigger meals per day, simply eat half the amount that you are normally used to. This will increase your hunger 3-4 hours after you eat, at which time you can eat the other half.

Keep the above recommendations in mind however, and eat appropriate, lighter foods during the day, and make supper your main meal. Another simple trick that can help is to chew your food twice as long as you normally would. This will instantly help you control your portions. Chewing slow also has other benefits. Not only will you find that you can enjoy the taste of the food better, but your digestion will also improve.

The majority of your digestive enzymes are in your mouth, so chewing your food twice as long lets them do their job better, as the food stays in your mouth longer.

We all have a set metabolism, but it doesn't matter if yours is slow, medium or fast. We all have the ability to slow it down or speed it up with our lifestyle choices. And your nutritional intake has the biggest impact on metabolism than any other area of your lifestyle.

After eating smaller meals throughout the day for two or three days in a row, you may notice that your hunger is increasing. This is a sign that your metabolism is being sped up. After one to two weeks, you will likely start feeling your clothes fit more loosely, especially around your waist line.

Remember, you do have the power to change. You are in control of your metabolism with nutrition, exercise, and proper mindset.

And it's not just about achieving a smaller waistline; it's about having more energy, less stress, and more creativity and mobility. It's about having some energy left over after a work day for the most important people in your life, your family

Dr. Mercola's Comments:

Remember to listen to your body and check what fuel food fits you best. This is a primary principle of my nutritional typing program. Some people do well on fat fuel (nuts, seeds), while others function better on carbohydrates such as legumes and even grains (oat, rice, beans, etc).

Through trial and error you can figure out what works best for you. However, my nutritional typing program is the ideal way to help you determine which foods are best for your personal biochemistry. Best of all, you can now take the entire online nutritional typing test for free, so please take advantage of this free offer.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:45 am

S_Parc wrote:One other point is that I think everyone should get something like an exercise bike. The reason for it is that jogging, for many persons, is hard on the ankles and knees. The microtraumas which can start there, tend to go unnoticed until a major fracture occurs. With a stationary bike, it's virtually impossible to really mess up (unless you're trying for it).

Thus, with the bike, one can do 15-40 mins, practically every day of the week, risk free. One needs at least a day off between jogging sets.

Do you mean a stationary bike used in gyms, or a real bike you ride outside?

So the body is in a different state at night? Then sleep cycles matter too right? Do you think that sleeping early and getting up early as opposed to sleeping late and getting up late makes a difference? Does "early to bed and early to rise make one healthy, wealthy and wise" as Benjamin Franklin said?

Winston
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussions