Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Teaching english questions?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Teaching english questions?

Postby Master » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:25 pm

ive been doing my research and i have a few quick questions? there is no real clear cut guide here on this except maybe one of winston pay books i think. so im going to ask.

For starters, ive considered the illegal route, but that seems like it could end up really bad. Ive also dont know much about getting started. For instances, which is the best short term degree? Im not too familiar with the differences with the degrees other than the letters and that some mean you went to college and others you didnt. i have no interest in spending four years of my life in college or more. I have been through that route, and its not a pleasant experience. This doesnt have to be a career thing for me but more of a temporary thing. I am not that familiar with the best places either, pending costs, visas, culture and best places to make money. so im just asking here for anyone to give me a few heads up and how to get started. Also on what im looking at the cost for like the degree and transportation and all that. Thanks in advance.
Master
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am







Postby dano » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Getting an illegal university degree and an illegal TESOL certificate is ok as long as your teaching in China. I don't think anyone is going to care. China is kind of a lawless country. The only thing you can't do in China is protest against the government.

You can easily get a dozen job offers to teach in China. At some schools the requirements are very low. I taught for English First in Wuxi, Jiangsu province, its a franchise school. You can save about $500 a month.


http://www.englishfirst.com/index.html

http://www.eslcafe.com/
dano
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Postby Master » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:33 am

thanks. my first response finally.

yea but how is the social life really?
Master
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am

Postby Jackal » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:55 pm

I think the intelligent compromise would be to get a TEFL or CELTA certificate without getting a college degree. The next step is to research which countries will hire English teachers with a TEFL/CELTA who don't also have a college degree.

Almost all European countries (both western and eastern) require you to have both a college degree (in any subject) plus a TEFL/CELTA certificate or just a college degree in English, TESL, or education. Perhaps places in the extreme east like Ukraine or Bulgaria may not be so picky. I doubt Kazakhstan would be too picky.
Jackal
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:24 am
Location: Hungary

Postby dano » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:49 pm

Master wrote:thanks. my first response finally.

yea but how is the social life really?


There lots of opportunities for dating in china if you can speak mandarin or cantonese, otherwise your limited to dating english speaking chinese women(middle class). Middle class chinese women in China are the same as middle class chinese women in the US.

The best teaching gig for meeting women is probably teaching at a university, it doesn't pay as well as a private school but theres thousands of young women to choose from. The english teachers usually get together several times a week and get drunk together too.
dano
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Postby ladislav » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:05 pm

But I would not recommend dating university students ( while you are teaching there). It is highly unethical. Teachers are held in high esteem - as doctors- in Asia and the university 's reputation ( as well as the student's and your own) will suffer. Gossip will spread, and the whole thing can end up crashing on you like a ton of bricks. You'd better wait till you leave on another assignment, or the student graduates or transfers. It is not a good thing to be having an affair with an active student while teaching there. Just one of those unwritten "thou-shalt-not..."- type commandments of the profession.

Student-teacher educational relationships are sacred. Kind of like attorney-client type. Do not mess up!

Some do it but very discreetly and secretly. But they can get caught. And when they do, all hell breaks loose.

And how will you be grading that student while dating her? That is another thing. It's a can of worms for westerners to date Asians period but that will take the cake, believe you me!

Language schools with short courses with adult professionals are better. Again, one needs to wait till the course is over, do not do it while you are teaching it.

White people stick out like a sore thumb in the Orient and a local girl with a white guy in this position can become a butt of jokes and frowns and much much worse. It can ruin her career. But not after she graduates or you leave the place. That is another story.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby Master » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:35 pm

Jackal wrote:I think the intelligent compromise would be to get a TEFL or CELTA certificate without getting a college degree. The next step is to research which countries will hire English teachers with a TEFL/CELTA who don't also have a college degree.

Almost all European countries (both western and eastern) require you to have both a college degree (in any subject) plus a TEFL/CELTA certificate or just a college degree in English, TESL, or education. Perhaps places in the extreme east like Ukraine or Bulgaria may not be so picky. I doubt Kazakhstan would be too picky.



Whats the difference between the two? which one is better and which one is cheaper?

what do you mean when you say extreme? do you mean dangerous? or poor or something?

I thought the ukraine was a nice place.


I wouldnt mind going to other places as long as they are safe and worth my while in some way.
Master
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am

Postby Master » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:38 pm

dano wrote:
Master wrote:thanks. my first response finally.

yea but how is the social life really?


There lots of opportunities for dating in china if you can speak mandarin or cantonese, otherwise your limited to dating english speaking chinese women(middle class). Middle class chinese women in China are the same as middle class chinese women in the US.

The best teaching gig for meeting women is probably teaching at a university, it doesn't pay as well as a private school but theres thousands of young women to choose from. The english teachers usually get together several times a week and get drunk together too.



From what i heard the dating scene in china is awful. Dont men out due the women in terms of ratio?

My main objective right now is not money. I mean I can always find something better to do with my life after going abroad. My main objective is a good experience and some fun.
Master
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am

Postby Master » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:41 pm

ladislav wrote:But I would not recommend dating university students ( while you are teaching there). It is highly unethical. Teachers are held in high esteem - as doctors- in Asia and the university 's reputation ( as well as the student's and your own) will suffer. Gossip will spread, and the whole thing can end up crashing on you like a ton of bricks. You'd better wait till you leave on another assignment, or the student graduates or transfers. It is not a good thing to be having an affair with an active student while teaching there. Just one of those unwritten "thou-shalt-not..."- type commandments of the profession.

Student-teacher educational relationships are sacred. Kind of like attorney-client type. Do not mess up!

Some do it but very discreetly and secretly. But they can get caught. And when they do, all hell breaks loose.

And how will you be grading that student while dating her? That is another thing. It's a can of worms for westerners to date Asians period but that will take the cake, believe you me!

Language schools with short courses with adult professionals are better. Again, one needs to wait till the course is over, do not do it while you are teaching it.

White people stick out like a sore thumb in the Orient and a local girl with a white guy in this position can become a butt of jokes and frowns and much much worse. It can ruin her career. But not after she graduates or you leave the place. That is another story.


I dont know why people assume that because I will go abroad to teach that I'd want to bang the students. As much as that would be a hot fantasy that really doesnt interest me. I would like to teach the students cause I like teaching and I would really like to know the culture from other countries. Im more hoping to met women on the streets and see where it goes.

I do think the university atmosphere would be a lot more fun and enjoyable then private teaching. Especially in the eye candy and social compartments.
Master
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am

Postby ladislav » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:18 pm

what do you mean when you say extreme? do you mean dangerous? or poor or something?

Extreme geographically, I guess.

I thought the ukraine was a nice place.


Ukraine without the "the". But it is relaxed laws-wise.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ukraine
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby Jackal » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:43 pm

Master wrote:Whats the difference between the two? which one is better and which one is cheaper?

I think that the TEFL and CELTA programs are basically the same in content, but the CELTA is given by a British organization and is often preferred overseas and might convey a bit more status. I'm not sure, but I think that both courses are about the same price.

Master wrote:what do you mean when you say extreme? do you mean dangerous? or poor or something?

I meant geographically very far to the east (almost in Asia) and this usually also implies that they are poorer and less-developed (although perhaps there are some exceptions which I'm not aware of).

I went to Romania once and I was totally creeped out. Nothing bad happened to me, but it felt very wild and I got the feeling that all the thieves were watching me. I breathed a sigh of relief once I crossed the border back into Hungary (Romania is not yet a part of the Schengen area, so you have to have your passport checked by the border guards, even though Romania is part of the EU).

Master wrote:I thought the ukraine was a nice place.

It's a big country. There might be nice places, but other areas like Odessa are full of crime from what I gather. I've never been to Ukraine, so I can't definitively say anything about it.
Jackal
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:24 am
Location: Hungary

Postby dano » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:36 am

Master wrote:
dano wrote:
Master wrote:thanks. my first response finally.

yea but how is the social life really?


There lots of opportunities for dating in china if you can speak mandarin or cantonese, otherwise your limited to dating english speaking chinese women(middle class). Middle class chinese women in China are the same as middle class chinese women in the US.

The best teaching gig for meeting women is probably teaching at a university, it doesn't pay as well as a private school but theres thousands of young women to choose from. The english teachers usually get together several times a week and get drunk together too.



From what i heard the dating scene in china is awful. Dont men out due the women in terms of ratio?

My main objective right now is not money. I mean I can always find something better to do with my life after going abroad. My main objective is a good experience and some fun.


The gender inbalance only occurs in rural areas, theres no shortage of women in the cities. If you can speak chinese getting a girlfriend will be fairly easy. Chinese women from the poorer provinces will ask you if they can be your girlfriend if they like you.

Also, dating your students in China is not unethical. As an english teacher in China you are not in a position of authority over your students. In fact, if the students don't like you you can get fired. It creates a situation where the teacher kind of sucking up to the students to gain popularity. The most popular teachers are more like entertainers rather than teachers. Getting your students to laugh and have fun will help you more than anything else.
dano
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Postby Master » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 am

ladislav wrote:
what do you mean when you say extreme? do you mean dangerous? or poor or something?

Extreme geographically, I guess.

I thought the ukraine was a nice place.


Ukraine without the "the". But it is relaxed laws-wise.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ukraine



yea i got the joke.

it is relaxed because the criminals get away with anything according to what jackal said.
Master
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am

Postby Master » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 am

To Jackal:


Well that doesnt sound very good. I dont want to go the place that i have to watch my back every second. I want to go to place that i can relax and feel at home not like i dont belong.

I dont mind places being poor or less-developed in fact I encourage mostly cause i feel more humanized. The thing is that what I dont want is for me to feel my life is at risk just for the purpose of trying to do something good or have fun.

So in that sense i would have to go to Britain to the CELTA? If I do go that route wouldnt be overwhelmingly expensive compared to the alternatives?




What would you think its the best place to teach from what you know and why?
Master
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am

Postby Master » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:11 am

dano wrote:
Master wrote:
dano wrote:
Master wrote:thanks. my first response finally.

yea but how is the social life really?


There lots of opportunities for dating in china if you can speak mandarin or cantonese, otherwise your limited to dating english speaking chinese women(middle class). Middle class chinese women in China are the same as middle class chinese women in the US.

The best teaching gig for meeting women is probably teaching at a university, it doesn't pay as well as a private school but theres thousands of young women to choose from. The english teachers usually get together several times a week and get drunk together too.



From what i heard the dating scene in china is awful. Dont men out due the women in terms of ratio?

My main objective right now is not money. I mean I can always find something better to do with my life after going abroad. My main objective is a good experience and some fun.


The gender inbalance only occurs in rural areas, theres no shortage of women in the cities. If you can speak chinese getting a girlfriend will be fairly easy. Chinese women from the poorer provinces will ask you if they can be your girlfriend if they like you.

Also, dating your students in China is not unethical. As an english teacher in China you are not in a position of authority over your students. In fact, if the students don't like you you can get fired. It creates a situation where the teacher kind of sucking up to the students to gain popularity. The most popular teachers are more like entertainers rather than teachers. Getting your students to laugh and have fun will help you more than anything else.




Well from the statistics i think the ratio is quite scary. Well Im sure the chinese language is probably one of the hardest to speak. One of my teachers who was quite good explained how hard it was and it was quite scary.

That sounds good. I like when women ask a guy out that they like.

Well thats a problem, as much as i could want to become a clown I dont think it would be fun to be forced into one. Constantly being on the edge of somebody elses whim. Ive never heard of such a thing. Is there a reason why this is?
Master
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests