Is College a Ripoff and Scam - 20/20 ABC News Report

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Re: Is College a Ripoff and Scam? 20/20 ABC News

Post by IraqVet2003 »

IraqVet2003 wrote:
jamesbond wrote:Good video by Stefan Molyneux where he goes into detail about whether or not a college degree is worth getting today. Employers will take a person with no college degree and work experience to someone with a degree and no work experience. Work experience trumps a college degree almost every time. Stefan goes into other factors too such as all the debt college graduates have.

Jamesbond, that's an interesting video. However, did you know that some graduates with student loan debt are actually FLEEING THE US to avoid paying it. Here are a couple of links you may find interesting:

STUDENT DEBTORS FLEE COUNTRY
http://www.professorconfess.blogspot.co ... untry.html
DEBT DODGERS: MEET THEY WHO MOVED TO EUROPE AND WENT AWOL ON THEIR STUDENTS LOANS
http://www.vice.com/read/talking-to-ame ... -loans-111

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I just heard a report on the news that stated, 50% of college graduates are either unemployed or underemployed!

I thought the economy was getting better (according to Obama). I guess not if even college graduates are having a hard time finding jobs. :shock:
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

jamesbond wrote:I just heard a report on the news that stated, 50% of college graduates are either unemployed or underemployed!

I thought the economy was getting better (according to Obama). I guess not if even college graduates are having a hard time finding jobs. :shock:
I bet if you went on Zillow, you'll find that many of the homes in middle class areas near you are under foreclosure or auction status (for areas where people make under $100K or so per year).
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
w.p.o.
Freshman Poster

Post by w.p.o. »

I don't know about anyone else, but all I got was a piece of paper and a wiped out bank account. If I could rewind time, I'd take my butt overseas and fashion model. Paid to wear nice clothes (and keep them when done).
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Great documentary on college graduates who can't find jobs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ahK1MeGjto[/youtube]
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

The world is becoming so efficient technically and mechanically we don't need all these people to tend shop at all.

The Georgia Guide Stones projection of 500 million sounds about right......
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Is College a Ripoff and Scam - 20/20 ABC News Report

Post by Winston »

This hippie/bohemian/counter-culture YouTuber named Koi Fresco who looks like Jesus, explains why he dropped out of college.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Is College a Ripoff and Scam - 20/20 ABC News Report

Post by Winston »

Koi Fresco explains how to drop out of college and survive.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
statnerd
Freshman Poster

Re:

Post by statnerd »

Sexter wrote:
May 17th, 2011, 6:57 pm
I don't like this video at all. It's very biased against people who actually go to college and succeed.

It really depends on what your major is in college, and how marketable your degree is. If your degree is engineering/finance/accounting/nursing, your degree is marketable and will have a decent paying job(given if you are persistent enough)

if your degree is psychology/art/cake major, then you are wasting your money because those degrees aren't very marketable.

Again, the video is VERY biased and takes on the biased perspectives

Fact is, college isn't a WASTE OF money or time. If you have the right degree, you will be making more money than a guy with just a high school diploma.

This video assumes too much without providing examples on the specifics. A person with a college degree in accounting for example, WILL in-fact make more money than a person without a college degree. DUHHh! whY?! becaues that accounting degree will open doors for him in the accounting fields(white collar jobs) therein, will give him a decent salary.

Compared to a person wtihout a college degree, he/she will probably be a blue collar worker making considerably less than the "white collar accountant".

Again, IT DEPENDS on the degree, it depends on the school, and it depends how persistent you are on finding a Job. A person with a college degree in finance who is very persistent at finding a job who went to college in UCLA will probably have more opportunities than a guy with just a high school diploma. FACT FACT FACT. Lets compare statistics shall we?

A typical high school graduate, who works as a "truck driver" probably will make 30,000$ a year
a typical college graduate, who has a nursing/accounting degree, probably will make 60,000-80,000$ a year

There is a 30,000$ difference between the truck driver and the accountant. In a 30 year span, the accountant who has a salary of 60,000$ a year will make 900,000$ mroe dollars in 30 years than the truck driver who made 30,000$ a year. Subtract another 100,000 on student loans, the accountant made 800k more dollars than the truck driver who just had a high schol diploma. I'm just using this as an example, im not taking into account the benefits, the raises, etc...

the video is only depicting national averages. What if the person went to a community college first? Then transferred? worked ap art time job, and barely owes any money? THe video is VERY biased on depicting the negatives, gives BIASED numbers, gives biased statistics, and gives a lot of bullshit.
Do you have any idea how gawdawfully boring accounting is? I've been in audit and tax for the past decade, and the work is beyond depressing. Do you also like being surrounded by gossipy, bitchy coworkers who won't leave you alone?

As far as trucking goes, you can make a lot more than $60k in the oilfields. From what I gather, trucking isn't a bad gig if you enjoy solitude and travelling constantly. I've thought about doing it.