Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Malware on this site

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Malware on this site

Postby Asia Outback » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:28 am

Are others now getting pop-ups, redirects, and browser hijack attempts when using this site?? If so, Winston better get on it. Its a hassle.
Winston???

Jake
Asia Outback
Freshman Poster

Postby jamesbond » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:37 am

I am getting pop ups when I visit this site, this started within the past week.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby The_Adventurer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:30 am

Yes. I am not getting them on this computer I am sing now, but on my own compter at home it is becoming difficlt to enjoy surfing this site because of the popups stealing focus when I am in the middle of reading something. I am steps away from giving up on Happier Abroad altogether.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Postby Grunt » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:53 pm

I stopped checking this page on a Windows machine a LONG time ago. Now I only visit, rarely, on my Linux / Ubuntu netbook computer. This site simply isnt safe for Windows users or other newbs.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Postby Winston » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:36 pm

It looks like the Bidvertiser Ads are causing them. See here:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=e ... fc6f926f13

I guess I'll have to remove them and contact Bidvertiser Support to see if they can fix this problem or not. I don't know why these ad companies can't fix such malware problems in their ads permanently.

Thanks for letting me know.

Winston
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby YoucancallmeAl » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Yeah, it's happening to me too. And even worse, I keep getting these weird Windows pop-up messages saying "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?" that leave no yes or no options, so I close them. And then everything freezes and it doesn't allow me to go back or forward or even close the main page.
So I have to keep shutting down my computer and starting all over again. Very annoying.
YoucancallmeAl
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi all,
I've just disabled the pop-ups in Bidvertiser (which I didn't know were enabled automatically by default) so they should be gone now. Let me know if they come back.

Are any of you getting viruses or other kinds of malware BESIDES the popups?

I did some research online and found out that Bidvertiser claimed to have fixed this problem months ago.

Plus, a Google diagnostic of this site reveals no viruses. See below.

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diag ... abroad.com

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for www.happierabroad.com

What is the current listing status for www.happierabroad.com?

This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 938 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-01-01, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS26496 (PAH).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, www.happierabroad.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
* If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

Let me know if you guys get any other malware. The popups should be gone now. Are they?

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:03 pm

Has anyone gotten any maleware or popups again?

McAfee told me today that my site has now been given the green rating after review. See below.

Hello,

We are Pleased to inform you that your site happierabroad.com has got the green rating and is currently reflecting on our website.

The link for the same would be http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/happierabroad.com.

Thanks for your patience during the process.

Sincerely,

Rajesh
Avert Services
McAfee SiteAdvisor

So you guys can now breathe a sigh of relief.

Winston
Site Admin

Postby Fenix » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:08 pm

Yes, I got one last night browsing this site. If you keep this page idle for a few minutes, it redirects you to another site. It is annoying.
Fenix
Junior Poster

Postby jamesbond » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:49 pm

As of yesterday I kept getting redirected to another page when I visited the happier abroad discussion forum. Today, when I check this forum out, the page takes a while to load and the screen freezes for a little while. This happens every time today I have visitied this site.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby FreeYourMind » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:33 am

I'm getting periodic malware advisories. Sometimes the site goes to something called Buddy TV. And when it doesn't do that it's taking a LONG time to download, sometimes never does finish downloading.
FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:11 am

I use Chrome and Firefox and this is the message that comes up now when I come here (this is from using Chrome browser).

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at www.happierabroad.com contains elements from the site www.gossipcenter.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.gossipcenter.com.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.
I understand that visiting this site may harm my computer.
Fenix
Junior Poster

Postby Asia Outback » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:28 am

administration is negligent to allow this situation to fester. This is not a new topic if you look back into the archives. It is usually negligence or if not, then ignorance. Who wants to visit a site that is a hazard ?

From 2008 and 2009: http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6584

Protecting those browsing your site is an obligation.
Asia Outback
Freshman Poster

Postby Mr S » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 am

I'm so glad I use a Macbook! I almost never have to worry about this malware crap...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:39 am

The malware only affects US users it seems. It might be coming from the TrafficRevenue ads. I have no link that goes to gossipcenter.com. Let me remove them and switch back to Bidvertiser and see if this problem continues.

Asia Outback, I am not negligent. I've done all I can, from contacting Godaddy and having their team investigate and scan this site, to having McAfee re-evaluate this site and giving it a green rating again.

If I was negligent, would I be asking people here everyday if they're still getting malware, in order to try to isolate the problem? A negligent person doesn't do that. Think about it. Negligent people do not check and recheck to see if a problem has been fixed.

Winston
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions