Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


The perils of interpersonal capitalism vs global capitalism

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

The perils of interpersonal capitalism vs global capitalism

Postby DaRick » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:57 pm

My brother and I had an argument. He basically made out that I was useless because according to him I was "doing nothing" (not true, actually - I had been doing odd jobs for Mum, Dad and him) and that he was trying to make me "useful" by being "productive". I then accused him of thinking like a soulless turbo-capitalist. He then responded that he gave orders and people followed them, feelings be damned. He seems to think of people as being on the same level as automations, good for only what amount of work they could do for him in a certain period of time, overall character and interests be damned. It's all about the bottom line for him.

On a national or global scale, capitalism has its problems, but it is worth advocating only because it does not lead to famine and death the way that modern socialist policies have (i.e - in Ethiopia), amongst other things (and does not appear to foster quite the same level of corruption). Greed is also, in fact, good to some extent (no doubt that innovators like Gates, Jobs and Alexander Graham Bell invented and improved our lives partially because they wanted to make a living for themselves). On a personal level though, I think that the capitalist way of thinking is quite destructive. Why? Because you end up seeing people as my brother appears to. Thus, 'interpersonal capitalism' would probably lead to greater sociopathy, due to an inability to really relate to people on an intimate level. I think that this fosters the same isolationist mentality that is currently leading to an explosion of mental illness rates within the Anglosphere. What do you think?

BTW, he recently went to America and seemed to quite like the place (even though he generally dislikes travelling). No surprises there. :roll:
DaRick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, AUS







Postby Winston » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Which part of America did he go to? It's easy to like America at first. It is clean, polite and there are lots of consumer choices and services.

But once you get to know the people, way of life, the segregation, lack of connection and female attitude, etc. you realize the dysfunction of it all. That takes a while though. But it also depends on the person, how authentic they are, who they meet, etc. An authentic person will see this much more quickly. It also depends on location too.

For example, you'll get a much better impression of Americans if you go to Salt Lake City than if you go to LA.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23570
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby DaRick » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Winston wrote:Which part of America did he go to? It's easy to like America at first. It is clean, polite and there are lots of consumer choices and services.

But once you get to know the people, way of life, the segregation, lack of connection and female attitude, etc. you realize the dysfunction of it all. That takes a while though. But it also depends on the person, how authentic they are, who they meet, etc. An authentic person will see this much more quickly. It also depends on location too.

For example, you'll get a much better impression of Americans if you go to Salt Lake City than if you go to LA.


He went to LA first :lol: - although he avoided the 'skid row' areas. He then went to AZ, then to Las Vegas (where he went gambling and shopping for the rest of us).
DaRick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, AUS

Postby Mr S » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:43 pm

DaRick wrote:
Winston wrote:Which part of America did he go to? It's easy to like America at first. It is clean, polite and there are lots of consumer choices and services.

But once you get to know the people, way of life, the segregation, lack of connection and female attitude, etc. you realize the dysfunction of it all. That takes a while though. But it also depends on the person, how authentic they are, who they meet, etc. An authentic person will see this much more quickly. It also depends on location too.

For example, you'll get a much better impression of Americans if you go to Salt Lake City than if you go to LA.


He went to LA first :lol: - although he avoided the 'skid row' areas. He then went to AZ, then to Las Vegas (where he went gambling and shopping for the rest of us).


Well there you go, the easiest places to like in America if you've never been here before. They have large multicultural populations and so the people in the cities are easier to meet and talk to.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
User avatar
Mr S
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Physical Earth, 3rd Dimensional Plane

Re: The perils of interpersonal capitalism vs global capital

Postby Mr S » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:45 pm

DaRick wrote:My brother and I had an argument. He basically made out that I was useless because according to him I was "doing nothing" (not true, actually - I had been doing odd jobs for Mum, Dad and him) and that he was trying to make me "useful" by being "productive". I then accused him of thinking like a soulless turbo-capitalist. He then responded that he gave orders and people followed them, feelings be damned. He seems to think of people as being on the same level as automations, good for only what amount of work they could do for him in a certain period of time, overall character and interests be damned. It's all about the bottom line for him.

On a national or global scale, capitalism has its problems, but it is worth advocating only because it does not lead to famine and death the way that modern socialist policies have (i.e - in Ethiopia), amongst other things (and does not appear to foster quite the same level of corruption). Greed is also, in fact, good to some extent (no doubt that innovators like Gates, Jobs and Alexander Graham Bell invented and improved our lives partially because they wanted to make a living for themselves). On a personal level though, I think that the capitalist way of thinking is quite destructive. Why? Because you end up seeing people as my brother appears to. Thus, 'interpersonal capitalism' would probably lead to greater sociopathy, due to an inability to really relate to people on an intimate level. I think that this fosters the same isolationist mentality that is currently leading to an explosion of mental illness rates within the Anglosphere. What do you think?

BTW, he recently went to America and seemed to quite like the place (even though he generally dislikes travelling). No surprises there. :roll:


This article might be of interest to you: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -scan.html
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
User avatar
Mr S
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Physical Earth, 3rd Dimensional Plane


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests