Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Growing long hair -- any problems in the Philippines?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Growing long hair -- any problems in the Philippines?

Postby manly5000 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Hey guys,

For those of you with experience in the Philippines, how many of the men there have long hair? I am growing my hair out and am wondering if it will present a problem for a future expat who plans to find some type of work, likely in either IT or the Fitness industry (personal training).

How are men with long hair viewed there? Any discrimination in or out of the workplace? I know many of the islanders (especially in the Visayas) historically cherished long hair on men, but times are different.

Just wanted to get some thoughts.
manly5000
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Postby Mr S » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:22 am

Well 6 years ago when I first came to the Philippines I had hair down to the middle of my back. If your younger looking and in good shape and you keep your hair looking good you will actually get a lot of attention from the girls here in PI as well as other SE Asian countries.

HOWEVER, you will also get hit on by GAYS and he-she's non-stop every time you are commuting or out on the town in the evenings. For some reason most of the locals will think your gay or bi-sexual because you have long hair. It's really annoying, cause they can be totally rude and even grab you and what not. So you have to control yourself from going ballistic and getting into trouble.

I like long hair but unfortunately in the last few years something kicked into gear in my body and my hair started thinning and falling out so I had to cut my hair considerably shorter now. Even though it's still longish by most male standards, it's not anywhere as long as it previously had been.

Because the women here in PI seem to prefer metrosexual type guys, guys with longer style hair seem to do well. Just be mindful of gay's and he-she's and you should be okay.

The key with long hair is make sure it looks good (like a girl's) that way you can tie it back when working. The worst thing is when guys try to grow their hair long and it looks like shit cause they don't have it cut right or don't properly take care of it.

Also BTW, having long hair in Philippines will make you sweat more and it will be really hot commuting. So you really will want to have long hair to keep it while being in the Philippines for a long period of time. If your there for only a few weeks it's not a big deal.

Oh yeah, only gays and Bi-sexuals for the most part have longer hair among the local guys so the straight local guys in the Philippines will all have short hair. It's follow the trend over there and short hair is in, long hair on guys is not! That's why if you have long hair you WILL stand out like a sore thumb...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
User avatar
Mr S
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Physical Earth, 3rd Dimensional Plane

Postby manly5000 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Good information Mr S, thanks for the reply. I plan to keep it in a tail and looking professional while at work, like I've done in the past when I had a mane. One question I still have though, does having long hair hurt your ability to find a decent job in the PI? It never hurt me in the States but I don't know if Filipino employers would give you a hard time.

As far as the Metro thing goes, i'm pretty big and muscular so pretty far from metro. With my hair people tell me I look like either Hercules or Gaston from Beauty and the Beast... haha.
Out in the world living the dream!
manly5000
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Postby Rock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:02 pm

manly5000 wrote:Good information Mr S, thanks for the reply. I plan to keep it in a tail and looking professional while at work, like I've done in the past when I had a mane. One question I still have though, does having long hair hurt your ability to find a decent job in the PI? It never hurt me in the States but I don't know if Filipino employers would give you a hard time.

As far as the Metro thing goes, i'm pretty big and muscular so pretty far from metro. With my hair people tell me I look like either Hercules or Gaston from Beauty and the Beast... haha.


You don't look like that Carlos Ponce dude from "Couples Retreat" (the long haired Spanish dude who pulled all those 'moves' on the wives) do you? If you're that big and buff, perhaps you should go to Rio instead.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4115
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Postby manly5000 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Rock wrote:You don't look like that Carlos Ponce dude from "Couples Retreat" (the long haired Spanish dude who pulled all those 'moves' on the wives) do you? If you're that big and buff, perhaps you should go to Rio instead.


Well I'm noticably bigger than that guy, but I don't really look like him. I'm just starting to grow my hair out again after buzzing it off a couple months ago so it's pretty short at the moment. By the time I can go to the Phils I'll probably have it as long as Mr S there did when he first went...

I do love latinas but I think I'd like to check out the Philippines. Not just for the women either, the location and tropical island environment makes a huge impact to me.
manly5000
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Postby Rock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:16 pm

manly5000 wrote:
Rock wrote:You don't look like that Carlos Ponce dude from "Couples Retreat" (the long haired Spanish dude who pulled all those 'moves' on the wives) do you? If you're that big and buff, perhaps you should go to Rio instead.


Well I'm noticably bigger than that guy, but I don't really look like him. I'm just starting to grow my hair out again after buzzing it off a couple months ago so it's pretty short at the moment. By the time I can go to the Phils I'll probably have it as long as Mr S there did when he first went...

I do love latinas but I think I'd like to check out the Philippines. Not just for the women either, the location and tropical island environment makes a huge impact to me.


Yea, Vince Vince Vaughn towered over him height wise but Vince is a pretty big dude.

It will be an interesting contrast, a guy your size hanging around the diminutive Filipinas. If any of the gay/bisexual crowd hit on you, resist the urge to squash them like insects. If they're anything like the Thais, they'll swarm you like bees if you lash-out.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4115
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Postby manly5000 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Rock wrote:Yea, Vince Vince Vaughn towered over him height wise but Vince is a pretty big dude.

It will be an interesting contrast, a guy your size hanging around the diminutive Filipinas. If any of the gay/bisexual crowd hit on you, resist the urge to squash them like insects. If they're anything like the Thais, they'll swarm you like bees if you lash-out.


Well I'm 6 feet even, not quite as tall as Vince. I actually like short girls, but height doesn't matter. I'd take a girl who was 4'10, 5'10, or anything in between if she was right for me and attractive.

I don't lash out at males that hit on me, it happens from time to time and I just tell them I'm straight and that's the end of it.

I just hope the hair doesn't prevent me from getting a good job in the PI.
manly5000
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Postby Mr S » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:40 am

Well most of the jobs that would hire foreigners would be either foreigner owned or run so most likely you probably won't have an issue finding work, now finding decent paying work, that's another story.

The only ones that may discriminate against you would be the hard core Christians or Muslims, but most likely you won't have to deal with them regarding employment.

BTW, what kind of work are you looking to do here? It's kinda limited unless you like taking low paying teaching jobs or call center positions.

My hair grows really slow so it took me over 3 years to get any decent length. Now it's all falling out slowly. Enjoy it while you can unless you happen to be in the small percentage of guys that never gets thinning hair or has the baldness gene.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
User avatar
Mr S
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Physical Earth, 3rd Dimensional Plane

Postby manly5000 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:11 am

Mr S wrote:Well most of the jobs that would hire foreigners would be either foreigner owned or run so most likely you probably won't have an issue finding work, now finding decent paying work, that's another story.

The only ones that may discriminate against you would be the hard core Christians or Muslims, but most likely you won't have to deal with them regarding employment.

BTW, what kind of work are you looking to do here? It's kinda limited unless you like taking low paying teaching jobs or call center positions.

My hair grows really slow so it took me over 3 years to get any decent length. Now it's all falling out slowly. Enjoy it while you can unless you happen to be in the small percentage of guys that never gets thinning hair or has the baldness gene.


My hair is decent, but naturally thin and I have a naturally high hairline. For the hell of it I started taking a ton of supplements (MSM, Biotin, Saw Palmetto, and a few others) as well as using generic Minoxidil 5% and Nizoral shampoo to see if it would help things, and it actually is changing my hair for the better and quick too. It will look very good when it gets some length again.

As far as the job thing goes, well, I have a lot of years of IT experience (computer and network support, little bit of systems administration), so I'd hope to find an IT opportunity. Could do call center and/or teaching if all else failed. But I'm also into fitness and would love to pursue some kind of fitness/bodybuilding/personal training type of career if there are any ways to make a living doing that in the Phils. Sort of fits into a big "dream" that I've always had of being a fitness guru in a tropical paradise like the PI. The one thing that I'm most worried about is that I only have an Associate's degree, not a Bachelor's. I won't be able to finish one in the near future either, not if I want to get to the Phils in this decade lol. Money is just too tight because my salary sucks.

Unless I win the lotto I'm going to have to come up with something though. Chances are I'll only have about 5-10 grand to my name when I take the plunge, just enough to get started. I don't need to make tons of money to be happy (though I'll take as much as I can get haha), just want to make a good living and meet the girl of my dreams and build a life with her there. :D

If I could figure out a web-based business idea that hasn't been played out by everyone else already, that would be good too. I'm pretty flexible really, open to new ideas, just hope my various skillsets will land me some kind of decent career opportunity. My goal is just getting there ASAP though. I've had it with life and the people here in the midwest USA.
manly5000
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Postby Mr S » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:56 am

manly5000 wrote:
Mr S wrote:Well most of the jobs that would hire foreigners would be either foreigner owned or run so most likely you probably won't have an issue finding work, now finding decent paying work, that's another story.

The only ones that may discriminate against you would be the hard core Christians or Muslims, but most likely you won't have to deal with them regarding employment.

BTW, what kind of work are you looking to do here? It's kinda limited unless you like taking low paying teaching jobs or call center positions.

My hair grows really slow so it took me over 3 years to get any decent length. Now it's all falling out slowly. Enjoy it while you can unless you happen to be in the small percentage of guys that never gets thinning hair or has the baldness gene.


My hair is decent, but naturally thin and I have a naturally high hairline. For the hell of it I started taking a ton of supplements (MSM, Biotin, Saw Palmetto, and a few others) as well as using generic Minoxidil 5% and Nizoral shampoo to see if it would help things, and it actually is changing my hair for the better and quick too. It will look very good when it gets some length again.

As far as the job thing goes, well, I have a lot of years of IT experience (computer and network support, little bit of systems administration), so I'd hope to find an IT opportunity. Could do call center and/or teaching if all else failed. But I'm also into fitness and would love to pursue some kind of fitness/bodybuilding/personal training type of career if there are any ways to make a living doing that in the Phils. Sort of fits into a big "dream" that I've always had of being a fitness guru in a tropical paradise like the PI. The one thing that I'm most worried about is that I only have an Associate's degree, not a Bachelor's. I won't be able to finish one in the near future either, not if I want to get to the Phils in this decade lol. Money is just too tight because my salary sucks.

Unless I win the lotto I'm going to have to come up with something though. Chances are I'll only have about 5-10 grand to my name when I take the plunge, just enough to get started. I don't need to make tons of money to be happy (though I'll take as much as I can get haha), just want to make a good living and meet the girl of my dreams and build a life with her there. :D

If I could figure out a web-based business idea that hasn't been played out by everyone else already, that would be good too. I'm pretty flexible really, open to new ideas, just hope my various skillsets will land me some kind of decent career opportunity. My goal is just getting there ASAP though. I've had it with life and the people here in the midwest USA.


The problem with working in a 3rd world country is that you need to have a job skill that is limited in the country. So if you come to PI looking for IT work you will be competing with local Filipinos with the same knowledge and are willing to get paid less. Also companies won't hire foreigners if they can find a Filipino to do the same job cause they have to pay for a working visa and whatever other costs are associated with that. In regards to fitness instruction there is a lot of competition in that area as well from the locals. Technically a foreigner can't work in PI without a working visa. You can work in companies that typically hire foreigners like small biz educational places and get paid under the table but places like fitness centers or IT companies stand out too much, so most likely you won't find something unless your willing to make the same crappy wage as a local.

IF you wanted to do the fitness route you would probably have to advertise word of mouth and only take private rich clients in Makati/Ortigas areas and you couldn't be affiliated with a particular fitness branch. But because Filipinos aren't really interested in exercise much I don't think you would make much money doing that. If someone wanted to screw you over and and tell the BIR that you were working illegally and not paying taxes, well that could be another issue to deal with.

To stay in the Philippines you either have to register and create your own business with a Filipino partner or you have to have some kind of revenue stream from the Internet. OR you can teach English to Koreans, but you won't make enough to really live comfortably. I'm the exception to the rule cause I have academic qualifications and teaching experience so I was able to get one of the better paying jobs that a foreigner who does not have ties to a major Western corporation can get, I only get taxed 15% of my income and the pool of employees I work with have a company TIN (tax ID Number) so technically I can work here. Under normal circumstances I would need a work visa or get paid under the table with some fly by night Korean company.

In regards to call centers they would only pay for a work visa if you had a particular skill outside of just speaking English, like speaking a fluent second or third language they need. They already have their own IT guys so they wouldn't hire you for that.

I'm just giving you a realistic low down of what you can expect. Living in PI ongoing is only doable if you have passive online or retirement income of your own, have your own business that generates positive revenue or some kind of higher end academic teaching credentials. Other than that you will be hard pressed to be able to live long-term in the Philippines.

You may want to get a TEFL certificate or CELTA somewhere (one that has a live classroom teaching environment) and teach in a different SE Asian country where English is not the native language and you can actually make a decent living. I would check out Vietnam or Southern China where it is warmer and the cost of living is not too high.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
User avatar
Mr S
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Physical Earth, 3rd Dimensional Plane

Postby manly5000 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:25 am

Mr S wrote:The problem with working in a 3rd world country is that you need to have a job skill that is limited in the country. So if you come to PI looking for IT work you will be competing with local Filipinos with the same knowledge and are willing to get paid less. Also companies won't hire foreigners if they can find a Filipino to do the same job cause they have to pay for a working visa and whatever other costs are associated with that. In regards to fitness instruction there is a lot of competition in that area as well from the locals. Technically a foreigner can't work in PI without a working visa. You can work in companies that typically hire foreigners like small biz educational places and get paid under the table but places like fitness centers or IT companies stand out too much, so most likely you won't find something unless your willing to make the same crappy wage as a local.

IF you wanted to do the fitness route you would probably have to advertise word of mouth and only take private rich clients in Makati/Ortigas areas and you couldn't be affiliated with a particular fitness branch. But because Filipinos aren't really interested in exercise much I don't think you would make much money doing that. If someone wanted to screw you over and and tell the BIR that you were working illegally and not paying taxes, well that could be another issue to deal with.

To stay in the Philippines you either have to register and create your own business with a Filipino partner or you have to have some kind of revenue stream from the Internet. OR you can teach English to Koreans, but you won't make enough to really live comfortably. I'm the exception to the rule cause I have academic qualifications and teaching experience so I was able to get one of the better paying jobs that a foreigner who does not have ties to a major Western corporation can get, I only get taxed 15% of my income and the pool of employees I work with have a company TIN (tax ID Number) so technically I can work here. Under normal circumstances I would need a work visa or get paid under the table with some fly by night Korean company.

In regards to call centers they would only pay for a work visa if you had a particular skill outside of just speaking English, like speaking a fluent second or third language they need. They already have their own IT guys so they wouldn't hire you for that.

I'm just giving you a realistic low down of what you can expect. Living in PI ongoing is only doable if you have passive online or retirement income of your own, have your own business that generates positive revenue or some kind of higher end academic teaching credentials. Other than that you will be hard pressed to be able to live long-term in the Philippines.

You may want to get a TEFL certificate or CELTA somewhere (one that has a live classroom teaching environment) and teach in a different SE Asian country where English is not the native language and you can actually make a decent living. I would check out Vietnam or Southern China where it is warmer and the cost of living is not too high.


Yeah well, I'll figure out a way to make it work. If I move to SE Asia it has to be the Philippines. China, Vietnam, and other countries don't offer what I want.

I'll do whatever I have to do to get myself established. Even if it means taking on a crappy local wage in the beginning. Networking, connections, I'm an extremely sociable guy. I'll find the right opportunity to make a good living there somehow, or I'll create my own.

Thanks for your input.
manly5000
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Postby Rock » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:14 am

Manly

If you are willing to compromise a bit, its much easier.

First principle: Poor 3rd world going nowhere countries are for spending money, not making it. Working in a country like that is a huge waste of opportunity cost (your time as a first world citizen). There are a few exceptions but generally, you wanna generate revenues from the rich(er) world and spend in the poor.

The compromise I'm talking about is compartmentalizing your life. Lad talks a lot about this. Spend periods (a few months to a couple years) just working in a high wage country and then alternate periods living it up in low cost fun countries.

For example, you might be able to use your skills to secure high paying contract work in Saudi, Kuwait, or even Iraq or Afgan. Do a 6 month to 2 year stint, jump on the big bird to PI, and live there up to twice as long spending your money.

Another strategy. Teach English in Taiwan for 5 months then spend your savings in PI for the next 7-10. Or, teach English in southern China for a year and alternate it with a year of spending in PI.

There are many ways to do this. But if you insist on always being resident in a poor country like Phils, your probably gonna have to settle for subsistence pay and a commensurate low standard of living unless you can make money online (teaching or monetizing websites like Winston).
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4115
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Postby Repatriate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 am

Rock wrote:There are many ways to do this. But if you insist on always being resident in a poor country like Phils, your probably gonna have to settle for subsistence pay and a commensurate low standard of living unless you can make money online (teaching or monetizing websites like Winston).


Another possibility is to attain property and generate rental income. It works for a lot of people I know who are living abroad and it frees up their major living costs to do things such as teach english or whatever just to cover 100% entertainment expenses.

A friend of mine gets $1500 a month every month plus maintenance fees for his home that he has paid off. He receives another 40k baht or so teaching english. So altogether he has $3,000 in dependable monthly income coming in. He could go teach in the dunes or what have you but the quality of life argument wins out more often than not.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Postby manly5000 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 pm

So from what I gather, you guys are saying that it won't be possible for me to make a livable wage and live long-term in the Philippines... Great. I thought this site was about *encouraging* people to do exactly that? I guess the ability to relocate to the Phils is reserved for a select few who are in the "club" and have the means to setup a steady income without working a job for it (real estate, internet deal, etc), which I'm just not capable of doing since I work hard and get paid shit for doing it.

I mean on one hand people here say you can get teaching jobs and call center jobs to make a living there, then on the other hand you say teaching jobs and call center jobs are impossibly difficult to get and won't pay enough.

Well if it's so difficult to survive in the Phils I guess I can toss that particular dream out the window with all the rest of them. Awesome. Here's to a long life of misery and loneliness in the social wasteland known as the USA. *raises drink*



























But seriously... screw it. I'll come up with something. To be honest, I see the concept of living in a small house on a plot of land with a Filipina woman, away from a major city, growing our own food and supplementing our survival with money I've saved up previously (as well as money I make doing odd jobs here and there) as being an IDEAL existence. Just a simple, humble life on a tropical island. I don't have to live like a rock star to be happy in the Philippines. I just have to have the love and support of a wonderful woman and a family to call my own. For me, having that in the Philippines would be TRUE paradise.
manly5000
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Postby Rock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:34 am

manly5000 wrote:So from what I gather, you guys are saying that it won't be possible for me to make a livable wage and live long-term in the Philippines... Great. I thought this site was about *encouraging* people to do exactly that? I guess the ability to relocate to the Phils is reserved for a select few who are in the "club" and have the means to setup a steady income without working a job for it (real estate, internet deal, etc), which I'm just not capable of doing since I work hard and get paid shit for doing it.

I mean on one hand people here say you can get teaching jobs and call center jobs to make a living there, then on the other hand you say teaching jobs and call center jobs are impossibly difficult to get and won't pay enough.

Well if it's so difficult to survive in the Phils I guess I can toss that particular dream out the window with all the rest of them. Awesome. Here's to a long life of misery and loneliness in the social wasteland known as the USA. *raises drink*


But seriously... screw it. I'll come up with something. To be honest, I see the concept of living in a small house on a plot of land with a Filipina woman, away from a major city, growing our own food and supplementing our survival with money I've saved up previously (as well as money I make doing odd jobs here and there) as being an IDEAL existence. Just a simple, humble life on a tropical island. I don't have to live like a rock star to be happy in the Philippines. I just have to have the love and support of a wonderful woman and a family to call my own. For me, having that in the Philippines would be TRUE paradise.


No intention to discourage you. Some dreams entail delayed gratification, but not all. I tend to error on the side of being conservative when giving suggestions because I personally require a decent standard of living to be happy, one which costs a few thousand US$ a month, even in a poor country. But I've seen western guys live long-term on next to nothing in places like Bali, Cambodia, Issan, etc. And some of them seem happy. If I remember correctly, Globetrotter claims to live comfortably on US$3-5 per day in Tier 4 China. From what you write in your last paragraph, you sound like you may fall into the very low maintenance camp so as the shoe commercial goes, "just do it".
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4115
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests