Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Review: Our America - Online Brides

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Review: Our America - Online Brides

Postby djfourmoney » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 am

Well I just finished watching it. It will be on again at 10pm PST, which I think is 1am EST. Its on Oprah's Network formally Discovery-Times/Discovery Health.

Lisa Li likely best known now as one of the two Asian-American women being caught up in North Korea and being rescued by Former President Clinton was actually a very effective investigative reporter for Current TV before that.

Anyway this is a short review of what I saw.

Fairly even handed. She didn't fall into the trap of calling it Mail Order Brides. The featured agency of this story was of course AFA, further cementing their lock on being one of the most popular tour operators.

Instead of Eastern Europe being the focus, this time it was on Colombia. The main suitor in this was a twice divorced middle age White Male who's name escapes me atm. He had been married I think 14 years and 2 years. The first drifted apart, the last she was verbally abusive, especially to his teenage daughter, he met that one on the internet, go figure.

This show also featured a focus on one woman. She had been involved with another tour company. She met a guy and after awhile he returned to Colombia and took her on a vacation. Being from a poor part of Barranquilla she jumped at the chance. She banged him and became pregnant. After she told him, he balked at the idea of marrying her. Why? Turns out Mr American Dream Man was married already in America and had ANOTHER Colombian girlfriend on the side. Now this is likely an extreme case and I think they wanted to show that the women can be victims as well which I felt was important to show non-believers.

Of course they had to show the obligatory looser. This time a Southerner named Lamar who had to be at least mid to late 60's and was ga-ga over some 20 year old Colombian girl. She had no interest him him but was nice about it, saying they were likely at different points of their lives.

The women she talked too all perfect much said the same thing, they all want LTR's. One woman that the main guy in question met the first day was a good looking 40 year old woman who had never been married, no children and still wanted to have a child. When he told this women that he had been snipped, she was clearly disappointed.

Overall I think this was an effective promotional tool for AFA and for International Dating in general. Given all the recent stories of women failing to become the ideal woman to marry, but instead instigators of divorce, developing the term "starter husband" all this amazing BS out there, the MOB needs more positive portraits of this industry.

I give it a B+

The man in question as this show when to final production had asked this 42 year old local Colombian Business owner to marry him and she said yes.

There's this specter of foreign women gaming the MOB system to get access to the US legal system and then upgrade their husbands. But as the post about Starter Husbands, American Women are already admitting to doing this. So why would you be concerned about women from largely poor countries doing this? If you can't see a woman that coming a 100 miles away, then that's your own problem, not the woman's and not the MOB industry either.

This further strengthens my resolve about this industry when its done honestly on both sides.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby well-informed » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 pm

I actually caught the show last night, it was pretty good i liked it. I can't add much because you pretty much did a good job reviewing it yourself. The reporter was excellent too

The guy that eventually got married with the 42 year old, came with to the social with the right intentions and hopefully it works out for those two. Unlike the old dude trying to score with the 20 year old haha i actually laughed in that part

That ghost of your foreign wife getting her citizenship and then dumping you for another husband will unfortunately be there. As long as the industry is there and the feminism in America you're going to have these women that would do these types of things. You just never fully know whether your girl is using you for papers or if she is really in love with you
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:38 am

Well-Informed, well despite my spelling and sentence errors I'm glad you liked my review...

I think you can see the type of women that are looking to upgrade constantly a mile away. Humble women are just that humble, its a not an act easily created.

Moderation is always key.

Don't go after women looks wise that are much different than you would date at home. Most men can get a woman slightly better looking overall than they are. So if you consider yourself average looking go for women in the 6-7 range, they can still be attractive.

Don't go after women desperately poor, from totally dysfunctional families and have serious mental problems. This should go without saying but lots of men like to play Capt Save A Ho.

Don't go after women more established or educated than you are. If she's a Doctor, Engineer, Lawyer and you're a basic office, blue collar or self employed or no college degree, I don't think you'll have much in common. But that shouldn't be up to you, she should have to prove you'll have something to talk about beyond each other careers, that's totally possible. But that also includes putting your ego in check because if she does have job skills that are high paying she might make more than you and that should not be a sore spot in the future.

I agree that Lamar the over 60 Southerner was out of his league messing with a woman not even half his age. He's not realistic but AFA is happy to take his money...

The man that was the focus was more realistic, as he should be. He's not looking to have more children, that should be the ONLY reason you go after a woman more than 10 years younger than you. He's looking for a life partner. I am not looking for a life partner but a mother for my children and a companion.

In about 4-6 months I'll have an idea how much money I'll be making from this industry and I'll be planning on phase one of my plan. That is to be at least engaged by late 2012 and have a child in the oven before my 45th birthday. Given that most women marriage minded in their 20's are ready to rock, that shouldn't be a problem...
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby well-informed » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:52 pm

If you want to send me a PM on which social your planning to attend. Are you afraid of all the what the "naysayers" might say. Like your parents or friends might say she's just after your green card and screw you over
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 am

well-informed wrote:If you want to send me a PM on which social your planning to attend. Are you afraid of all the what the "naysayers" might say. Like your parents or friends might say she's just after your green card and screw you over

Which social? I'm thinking DYI mostly, we'll see. Naysayers? Who? My mother shrugs her shoulders, my step-farther basically says nothing. They don't care. A few years ago my mom asked why don't I find a nice Black Woman and I basically broke it down and haven't heard that question since.

They know I want to have children and I know they want grandchildren. They know its not likely to happen with a woman pushing 40 and if women under 30 won't give me the time of day, they know what I must do.

BTW, I am posting because the guy in question has been a regular poster on Planet Love, I'm surprised Winston didn't find his thread, he must be looking in the Asian threads.

Anyway here's the thread, he starts posting here - http://www.planet-love.com/forum/index. ... c=6098.195

Says they are happy and that OWN was fair, it seems they were on CNN as well. If you want to find that interview feel free.

Is the tide turning?

With all the negative press Single and Previous Married Women have been getting in America lately maybe the tide is finally turning.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to General Discussions