Why do so many Asians want to come to America?

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:
Here in Akron, I go to a Chinese restaurant. It's one big Chinese family that runs it. They are nice and friendly ( probably FOBs with an SBA loan) and they are what I call noodle-mixing robots. Fry- serve-get the money- lather rinse-repeat. You could rarely see a happier bunch. I saw the same joy on the Chinese/Japanese/VNese/etc faces in Australia.
I dealt with ignorant, unskilled Cambodians who got a no-credit loan to buy a business waaaaaayy back in 1985. Just a couple of years ago, I FINALLY found out what agency those loans come from, thanks to a Chicana Republican Chicana Republican tax preparer.

Not from the SBA.

No wonder I couldn't ever find the source. (I used to help people get SBA loans!)

The source is.......................

INS.

Yup.

They buried it in INS.

Free business loans, no credit or experience needed, for.............

"REFUGEES".

Easier loan terms than even a Crippled Black Lesbian could get, if he/she/it were, God forbid, an AMERICAN...

PS Hey guys --- did YOU vote for that? Where's YOUR business-purchase loan?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

loan from INS
Oh, well, how come I never got one? Maybe wrong skin color.
Beautiful people.

I wish them well.
According to the news, the US gov't already froze their bank account. These are politicians and they were supposed to spend this money on their country- helping poor people. Instead, they gave that girl 600 million dollars which was earmarked for Filipinos back home and they bought property and lived lavishly in the USA.

A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

ladislav wrote:
mguy wrote:I'm in the Philippines, and as fcked as it sounds: most people that I meet DO NOT WANT to live in the USA.

It seems I got sold out when my family moved to the USA.
It seems though that rich Filipinos love moving to the US and living here.

Look at the great time they are having here:

A young Filipina in America such as a nurse or a teacher has a great time. They have men at their feet.

Many Filipino guys I knew also looked happy- a spring in their step, walking proud. Some did look tired though, especially those who had no family here. But among all Asian people in the US, the Filipinos looked the happiest- walking around like they own the place.
That's odd, because I used to work in the medical industry and knew many Filipino's that were very unhappy in the States...I don't know where you are getting the image of the smiling, happy Filipino nurses in your head? I've personally dealt with many of them in-person--and rarely did I see them smiling and happy--as you are saying, Ladislav...

I live in a predominantly Asian neighborhood in Queens, New York--and about half the Asians I know despise the country and want to either move back to Asia, or move to another country. And, yes, you do have some small minority of Asians that like the U.S.--but they're usually the materialistic, greedy, soul-less types that wouldn't raise an eyebrow in screwing someone for money and status; They're the type of immigrants that tend to do well in the United States...
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

zboy1 wrote:
I live in a predominantly Asian neighborhood in Queens, New York--and about half the Asians I know despise the country and want to either move back to Asia, or move to another country. And, yes, you do have some small minority of Asians that like the U.S.--but they're usually the materialistic, greedy, soul-less types that wouldn't raise an eyebrow in screwing someone for money and status; They're the type of immigrants that tend to do well in the United States...
Hmmm

New York, eh?

8)
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Jester wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
Hmmm

New York, eh?

8)
Again, this shows the difference in anecdotal experiences of every person. I guess the Asians I met were in Los Angeles and SF. Those Filipinos looked very happy. Palm trees, jobs, dollars, the works. The ones I met in NY also looked stuck up and cocky and strode proudly. Anecdotal.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

ladislav wrote:
Jester wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
Hmmm

New York, eh?

8)
Again, this shows the difference in anecdotal experiences of every person. I guess the Asians I met were in Los Angeles and SF. Those Filipinos looked very happy. Palm trees, jobs, dollars, the works. The ones I met in NY also looked stuck up and cocky and strode proudly. Anecdotal.
Agree. Anectdotal experiences will differ. As I've said before, the Asians I've met here in California are happy here in the U.S.

I have been in the southern parts of the U.S., like Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas and have met Asians who hate it there and hate the people. Not surprised as those states are very racist.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Speaking from personal experience, every Chinese/Taiwanese friend from school who moved to NY have either returned to CA or moved elsewhere.

I did have a couple friends who moved to MD and opted to stay.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

ladislav wrote:
Jester wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
Hmmm

New York, eh?

8)
As we both know Ladislav, if you are stuck in the vast SE Asian underclasses, America can seem
like paradise. Most here have no idea what real poverty is...

Outwest
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

I'm telling you from first hand experience that the nurses in America from the Philippines loathe it. Almost all who go abroad are only saving enough to buy a house or go on retirement.

Maybe we should start a thread, "why do Americans want to go to Asia?"

but that would be too easy.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

zboy1 wrote:I agree with everything Repatriate and Germnaguy just posted...I do see an interesting trend of Asian Americans heading back to Asia-- coming from friends, acquaintances, and even from Asian posters on this forum and others. A 'reverse brain drain,' if you will. Soon...I predict the best and the brightest of Asians will leave the U.S. and return back to their motherlands--something that is already happening with Indians and Chinese.
Yeah I notice this too. Heck Im part of it. One thing though. Asian Americans who move back also bring the truth with them. I like explaining to people about the dynamics of the USA.

The only thing that shocked me was that they already know.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

ladislav wrote: Many Filipino guys I knew also looked happy- a spring in their step, walking proud. Some did look tired though, especially those who had no family here. But among all Asian people in the US, the Filipinos looked the happiest- walking around like they own the place.
considering that the Philippines was instrumental for America winning world war 2, and prevent Japanese hegemony in Asia (then the world) - of course they have their little stake. This is why vallejo (old naval base) is densely populated with Filipinos, any military base in the pacific rim is populated by Filipinos. The root is military then family chain migration, skilled labor represents a small fraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_V ... irness_Act
The purpose of these bills is to amend Title 38 of the United States Code to grant citizenship to Filipinos who have completed an enlistment in the American Armed Forces

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

As we both know Ladislav, if you are stuck in the vast SE Asian underclasses, America can seem

Outwest
There is very little chance for anyone there to go to school without paying. In the Philippines even HS must be paid for. Colleges offer very little in terms of scholarship. Helping extended families is also very hard as they are still stuck in the peasant mode and ask and ask for money. Saving any money is pretty much impossible.

In most developing Asian countries the priorities are:

1) Helping one's family with money
2) Getting education
3) Acquiring material possessions and stashing cash

Enter the US with its dollars, ease of admittance into colleges plus financial aid, and they are happy. A taxi driver earns in one day what they earn in one month in Phils. They can send their families a 1000 plus dollars a month and they can buy a house for them there.

Successful dating within the Anglo Saxon hierarchy for males is not on that list ( yet). Staying in the kitchen and mixing noodles for 12 hours a day makes you what you made home in one month. And that is what they want.

Can you imagine if someone told you that there was a country where as a taxi driver you could earn two thousand dollars a day? Or make fifteen hundred a day flipping burgers? Heck, you'd be on the plane in no time.

Becoming a US citizen is another mark of honor in the Phils ( in many pther countries that would be considered treason) and the gov't there allows dual nationality.

Why do Americans want to go to work in Saudi and Iraq? Dating Arab women is not on their list, believe me.
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Post by nicho12 »

ladislav wrote:

Outwest
There is very little chance for anyone there to go to school without paying. In the Philippines even HS must be paid for. Colleges offer very little in terms of scholarship. Helping extended families is also very hard as they are still stuck in the peasant mode and ask and ask for money. Saving any money is pretty much impossible.

In most developing Asian countries the priorities are:

1) Helping one's family with money
2) Getting education
3) Acquiring material possessions and stashing cash

Enter the US with its dollars, ease of admittance into colleges plus financial aid, and they are happy. A taxi driver earns in one day what they earn in one month in Phils. They can send their families a 1000 plus dollars a month and they can buy a house for them there.

Successful dating within the Anglo Saxon hierarchy for males is not on that list ( yet). Staying in the kitchen and mixing noodles for 12 hours a day makes you what you made home in one month. And that is what they want.

Can you imagine if someone told you that there was a country where as a taxi driver you could earn two thousand dollars a day? Or make fifteen hundred a day flipping burgers? Heck, you'd be on the plane in no time.

Becoming a US citizen is another mark of honor in the Phils ( in many pther countries that would be considered treason) and the gov't there allows dual nationality.

Why do Americans want to go to work in Saudi and Iraq? Dating Arab women is not on their list, believe me.
First of all you're not factoring in the cost of living in America Vs in the Philippines, yes in America, a cab driver may make 1000 bucks a week, but 30 to 40 percent of it may go into taxes, another 40 percent may go into living expenses because America has a higher cost of living, so in the end that brings them back to a level or slightly higher level to their counterparts in the Philippines, because In America, most of them may not even make new friends because the culture is too individualistic, they will be working like slaves, on the other hand, their friends they left in Philippines will have plenty of family and friends, a laid back simple life style where people look out for each other even though they're making less money. I have known some cab drivers who came to America and were making good money but after like 6 months they decided to go back home because 4000 dollars a month being a cab driver was not worth the high crime rate, degenerate, individualistic and soulless culture. So that's why many immigrants end up being unhappy in the US despite making more money than their friends back in their home countries.

Another point I wanted to make is that nowadays become a US citizen or even a green card holder is no longer easy than it used to be back in the 70's and 80's. There's a lot of hoop jumping, for some people it even takes longer than 12 years just to get a green card, so they may make 1000 bucks a week but their minds won't be free because they don't have a greencard
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

For mainland Chinese immigrants (legal or not) working in low wage jobs here in LA, some rent beds from slum lords for as low as $8/day. See ad boards by Hawaii or Ranch 99 market in San Gabriel for bed rentals (in Chinese).

Conditions at the $8/night places are not good, with 4-6 to a room with bunk beds. If you pay $12-15/day you can find 2 to a room rentals. Discounts offered for long term (monthly) rentals.

Workers at Chinese restaurants are usually provided with 2 meals per day. Those who don't work at food service often have roommates or house mates who do and bring back leftovers for them. I ate restaurant leftovers for years. X.x

If it was impossible for poorer immigrants to make it, they wouldn't have came in the first place. Somehow, many manage to get by and send money back home.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

but 30 to 40 percent of it may go into taxes, another 40 percent may go into living expenses because America has a higher cost of living, so in the end that brings them back to a level or slightly higher level to their counterparts in the Philippines, because In America, most of them may not even make new friends because the culture is too individualistic, they will be working like slaves, on the other hand, their friends they left in Philippines will have plenty of family and friends, a laid back simple life style where people look out for each other even though they're making less money.
But many live at an aunt's house or with a brother and save that way. Seen it. Very few Pinoys live alone. And if after taxes they manage to send home 20-30 thousand pesos, that will accomplish wonders in the Philippines. Tuitions, businesses, etc.

There are some 4.5 million Filipinos in the USA. Somehow they chose to stay.