Is Hawaii a Good Place For Asian-American Guys?

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Is Hawaii a Good Place For Asian-American Guys?

Post by celery2010 »

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/1 ... n-men.html

http://www.nonstophonolulu.com/nightlif ... arty-pics/

I recently read this thread on City Data, entitled is dating life better in Hawaii for Asian American men.

A poster wrote this:

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being extremely unfriendly towards Asian male dating and 10 being extremely friendly I would rate it something like this:

Oahu: 10
Being an Asian male is definitely not a disadvantage on Oahu when it comes to dating and life in general. As far as dating Asian women, it’s absolutely an advantage, as most Asian women prefer dating Asian men. In addition, Asians represent normalcy and power, similar to whites in most other parts of the country.

Other Hawaiian islands: 9
Similar to Oahu, but there are less Asians and more whites in comparison so Asians are not the majority like they are on Oahu.

SF Bay Area: 6
Not bad. More than half of the Asian women I saw with boyfriends/husbands were with Asian men. Asian culture is probably more normalized there than anywhere else in the continental U.S. and most Asian women are open to dating/marrying Asian men (although unlike in Hawaii, most are also very open to dating/marrying non-Asian men). But Asian men are still subject to many disadvantages and most non-Asian women prefer dating non-Asian men.

Los Angeles: 4
In addition to having the lowest percentage of Asians of the 4 areas, there is the Hollywood influence that portrays Asian men as being second-rate and un-masculine. No surprise that the majority of Asian women date and marry non-Asian men.

Then i found party pics on Nonstop Honolulu.

It definitely seems like a place where Asian-American men would feel comfortable. Also there are a lot of mixed (part Asian) women as well.

I've only been to Hawaii once-- in 1992. At the time, the island was flooded with Japanese tourists. I also met a Taiwanese guy from LA (older guy) vacationing there at the time, and a white kid from Kansas. I only spent time in Waikiki, so i can't say that i saw much of the place.

I know that it is extremely expensive in Hawaii, and obviously it's not easy like some parts of Asia.
It would also be a pain to try and get a car and a place to live, but i guess it could be done.

Still-- there is a good mix of white, mixed Asian, north Asian (mostly Japanese background), and even a significant Filipina population. A good mix for dating--

Anyone with first hand experience?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

Dont think just asians are shynned from the females of their race. As a black male that acts proper, we too are shunned because we dont act like feral apes. People are like,"why dont you date a black woman that acts proper" and I always laugh at this proposal.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I've dated a couple of girls from Hawaii. They had relocated to Las Vegas, NV but had spent the majority of their lives in Hawaii and planned to move back someday. They were very attractive, fun, but hard to deal with. They were fully westernized to say the least. They dated Asian men and White men from what I noticed, but I don't know their entire history. From what I have seen since then (still keep in touch with them), they have dated only white men while in Las Vegas and one married a white man. I'm guessing they change when they move to the west coast USA. However, I also know that plenty of military men date and marry girls they meet in Hawaii so who knows. Again, the girls from Hawaii can be extremely attractive and fun to be around, but they can drive you nuts too....be prepared:)
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Lots of Filipinos in Hawaii. They are from the north called Ilocos. The deposed president, Marcos had to flee to Hawaii to his clan base to avoid prosecution.

The SF bay area is only good if you have strong ties there. It is very cliquish. I'm from the east bay so I know this. I even attended one class in the same college winston did.My clique (wtf ryt?) have mostly married each other. Same people from same school district marrying/fcking each other. The girls are HOTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! I love Cali Asian girls but that was then and there and now im here and now.

The bay area is good if you can handle stupid materialism and California culture. I think I got laid there by wearing my air force ones in a local party and getting hypyhy. It's all a show. Asians tend to stick to their own. If you and your boys are from the area you can do a killing. In terms of inter-racial dating, i would say it is luke warm.

I say if given a choice cali or hawaii -- go to hawaii.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

There is a big difference here in Cali between Flips from Hawaii and those from de Pilipines.

The Hawaiians are more robust, and very proud of Hawaiian "nationality". (Even though they socialized mostly with other Filipinos when they were in Hawaii).

My takeaway is that, despite ethnic rivalries, Hawaiian national feeling runs deep.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

If I am not mistaken, Filipinos and Hawaiians are very close genetically.

THere is more in common with Guam, Fiji and Hawaii, than China or Japan for example.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

I sometimes flirt with the idea of moving there with my wife, The house prices make me choke a little bit though. Lately meth and crack have been f***ing up the big cities over there. In a way most of the US has this problem though.