Asian American Man Presented as Desirable on TV

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Asian American Man Presented as Desirable on TV

Post by MrMan »

I've seen some episodes of the new TV show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It's about a Jewish lawyer woman who lost her virginity to an Asian-American boyfriend in summer camp. Right before being offered a position as partner in her law firm, she sees her ex on the street in New York, before he returns from a visit. She decides to move to the town where he lives in California. So she turns down the job offer and gets a job at a small firm there.

The Asian American character doesn't have a very good career and he seems kind of childish and clueless to me. The lead actresses character is kind of neurotic. But it is interesting that for some reason she finds the Asian American man to be desirable, which is a rare thing for a TV show, and maybe a plus for Asian Americans.

I don't know if the guy is good-looking or not. I can't tell that sort of thing for guys. Maybe he's particularly unattractive and that's part of the show. Was that the case with Zoolander (not Asian, but I've heard people say Ben Stiller isn't that good looking.) Maybe some guy who can tell if a guy is good-looking can give some feedback.
darkmastersidex
Freshman Poster

Re: Asian American Man Presented as Desirable on TV

Post by darkmastersidex »

Where can I read this source news?
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

This is the Asian guy from the show you mentioned. There's no need to be so spastic about which guy is or isn't good looking, MrMan. This man seems to be well-dressed, fit, rather muscular and has enough height not to be short next to a white woman. This makes him desirable. I am glad to see a positive role model of an Asian man in American media. Not some skinny nerdy twink who's the butt of jokes, but someone masculine who actually gets action.

On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
cdnFA
Junior Poster

Post by cdnFA »

I guess nobody saw Selfie, although it didn't last for a full run.
The Harold from Harold and Kumar trying to turn a shallow girl played by Karen Gillan into a real human being.

The kids from Fresh off the Boat seem to be popular with their mostly white schoolmates.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

This Asian American man is also presented as desirable on TV. :P

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
cdnFA
Junior Poster

Post by cdnFA »

Also as far as Asian dudes. Raj from Big Bang Theory is dating a stone cold hottie.
Kenny from Rules of Engagement seemed to do well enough and was presented as a catch compared to his slime ball white boss.

Of course India isn't in Asia so I guess they don't count ;)