From Thug Life To A Chef’s Knife: A Korean-American Adoptee’s Success Story

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

From Thug Life To A Chef’s Knife: A Korean-American Adoptee’s Success Story

Post by zboy1 »

From Thug Life To A Chef’s Knife: A Korean-American Adoptee’s Success Story | ASIAN BOSS

A Korean American has a tough life growing up. Was part of a Mexican gang in LA. Got deported back to Korea and is doing well.

Goes to show what a corrupting influence America really is...

Here are some of the comments on Youtube, from non-Asians, too:

Honestly what this video says to me is that American society is toxic and will turn an otherwise honest, hard-working man into a thug. When placed in a lawful society like Korea, the same person is able to thrive with the support of the community.

He got deported to a better country. Hahaha

True. America is a pretty shitty place to live especially compared to a place like South Korea. I'd have been so happy to find that out.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: From Thug Life To A Chef’s Knife: A Korean-American Adoptee’s Success Story

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

zboy1 wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 8:55 pm
From Thug Life To A Chef’s Knife: A Korean-American Adoptee’s Success Story | ASIAN BOSS

A Korean American has a tough life growing up. Was part of a Mexican gang in LA. Got deported back to Korea and is doing well.

Honestly what this video says to me is that American society is toxic and will turn an otherwise honest, hard-working man into a thug. When placed in a lawful society like Korea, the same person is able to thrive with the support of the community.

True. America is a pretty shitty place to live especially compared to a place like South Korea. I'd have been so happy to find that out.
Cool, @zboy1. I will watch the video tomorrow, but I will say from what I read here, it reminds me of this Peruvian fat kid I used to come of age with from high school. So back in 2014 or so, I was in Lima, Peru walking down the street, and I walk past this one guy, he bellowed out, "Mira te brindo mucho producto especial ven comigo?" (He wanted to sell me so s.hit he couldn't sell in the street) and then he yelled in English as I kinda ignored him, "Hey man. I know you from somewhere. I'll know who you are.".

So that puzzled me. Me...well I'm kind of stupid and like exacerbating cra.p sometimes, so maybe it's the narcissist nosy American in me I don't know. So based on that notion, I came back to confront him, and bam! - It was my boy Boo-Yah from 1994!!!!! He gotten fatter, still looked young in the face, but now had a nasty boxcutter scar (I'm sure he gotten that in NYC where boxcutting someone's face is a way of after-hours life in NYC). He gave each other dap and a brotherly hug!

I was like, "Dude you gotten fatter and you look young [but I didn't question him about his nasty slash scar on his face]".

"Yeah dunn "(he's old school NY Hip Hop)...."Yo dude what the f**k are you doing here in Peru from N.Y.??"

I replied, "I'm just visiting. I am trying to get p.ussy. I literally pay for it every 2 to 3 nights".

We both laughed. Then he replied, "Yo man I been here since '97".

"I was about to ask you why have you left The Bronx back in the mid 90s. I thought you got smoked or something!"

"They deported me. I got knocked on a drug charge, and since I wasn't a US citizen. They deported my s.hit (him and his belongings NYC slang) back here. Now I got two kids and I'm doing me, baby. I can never go back America and I won't!!". He brought me to his store where he sold marijuana and rocks LOLOLOLOLOL but under the guise of a vape store. LOL

"Give me your number....we'll talk later"

We exchange numbers, but he never answered my call and he didn't give me WhatsApp. That will more than likely be the last time I'll ever see Boo-Yah but it was good to see NYC survive the wild 90s in NYC and actually in another country by total coincidence. Crazy.
cheesesweat
Freshman Poster

Post by cheesesweat »

zboy1 wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 8:55 pm

I totally agree with you. That guy became corrupted living in America. Korea is a much better place. America is filled with darkness.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

Sheesh, you guys could have a fly land in your salad and conclude from such an incident that America is a corrupting place.

Nah, this fellow was abused as a child (happens all the time with foster parents, I hear) and had a rough early life, saw the opportunity for change when he was deported, but continued to have a rough life in Korea...until he met someone who supported him--his wife. Change the country names from America and Korea to any other two countries and the story would still be believable as well as inspiring.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

It is good to see his life got turned around and he started going in a more productive direction. It looks like marriage turned out well for him. His wife was willing to marry him in spite of his thug background. I don't think he speaks his own country's language, and she is his interpreter and his gateway into interacting with society. She found the capital for the restaurant.

When I was in Korea in the mid '90's, I used to crash with a friend in Seoul on some weekends. He said there used to be a Mexican restaurant in Seoul but it shut down because Koreans 'did not like that brown spice.' I'm not sure what he met. You'd think there would be something in Itaewon. As big as Seoul is, it was really weird to me. Of course, I did not go into the US military base looking for Mexican food since i was a civilian. The USO had burgers and Dr. Pepper. Mexican food is a bigger part of American life than it was then, so maybe now the soldiers demand it.

But if I were to have an extended stay in Seoul, long enough to tire of Korean food, I'd want to try this place out. I've seen some reviews. Some people complained of no free chips. Maybe they were Americans fresh off the plane. Someone else said no alterations to the menu. But a lot of reviews say the food is authentic. That's pretty cool. It looks like the guy does high quality work.

It would be scary to be sent to your 'home country' if you grew up in the US and didn't speak the language. He went through thousands a night when he got there, so they must have let him keep his drug money. If he were broke, as a Korean citizen, he could probably get a job teaching English fairly easily. The schools liked whites, but they also liked to hire Koreans who spoke English fluently-- except this guy couldn't speak Korean, so he'd probably be second tier. He could teach the kids how to use the F-word. Some students like that. But it is a good thing he landed in the kitchen because that seems to be where his talent and passion lies.