Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.


Scam free! Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby HenryGeorge » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:24 am

The most free thinking Asian's would have to be Lao Tzu, Confucius and Gautama Buddha...

Image
User avatar
HenryGeorge
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:48 am
Location: Digging a hole to China







Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby Winston » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:53 pm

chanta76 wrote:Winston,

Freethinker? ? Definitely maverick in your thinking but if that qualifies you as a freethinker than maybe. Critical thinker in conspiracy theories probably but your poor at self reflection. Which involves some intuition. I think you lack morality and many great philosophers discuss about morality not saying your a bad person though.


Excuse me, but I'm one of the few guys in this forum that freely ADMITS all my flaws and weaknesses. Ask all my close friends. They will tell you that I openly acknowledge my faults, whereas most western men, especially white western men, DO NOT. Most men here will never even apologize when they are wrong or when they've offended someone. I at least am willing to apologize when I'm wrong. But most Westernized men will not, even most guys on this forum will never apologize for anything, even when they ought to.

So you are definitely wrong about that. I do have good self-reflection because I freely admit my flaws. How many guys do you know who will do that? Definitely not most guys here.

I am not just knowledgeable in conspiracy theories. I am knowledgeable in many topics and a freethinker in them.

-- Conspiracies
-- Different cultures
-- HA related subjects
-- Philosophy
-- Metaphysics/Paranormal Phenomena
-- New Age stuff
-- Religion/Theology debate
-- Debunking Christianity
-- Debunking Pseudoskepticism
-- History
-- Military History and Battle Strategy
-- Psychology
-- Star Trek and Star Wars and Doctor Who
-- Chess strategy
-- Human Nature
-- Writing style and structure
-- Imagination
-- Science fiction films and genre
-- Southwest USA canyons
-- Asian culture, Russian culture, Filipino culture, American culture, culture comparisons
-- Martial arts, Karate, Tae Kwon Do
Etc.

So no, my topic knowledge includes a lot more than just conspiracies. Please don't make inaccurate statements like that. Thanks.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 24163
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby Winston » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:25 pm

zboy1 wrote:
Eightfold Path wrote:Most free-thinking Asian? Not by a long shot.


I'm interested, Eightfold Path, who do you consider to be the most free thinking Asian? I want names.

I guess one person on the top of my head is Deepak Chopra? Maybe Akira Kurosawa? Hideo Kohjima? Shigeru Miyamoto? Lee Kuan Yew, maybe? (He was an authoritarian, he was very non p.c. and very intelligent).


I don't know about the others. But how is Deepak Chopra a freethinker? He is a great author, teacher, lecturer, interviewee, philosopher, holistic doctor, etc. But the stuff he talks about can be found in Hinduist philosophy, New Age teachers, pop psychology, and esoteric spirituality and mystical teachings. He simply synthesizes it all into a holistic spiritual philosophy that he sells and preaches, though he does it well. But I don't see him have any original ideas of his own. I have a few theories that I've written about, which I came up with on my own, that are likely to be the first of their kind.

Chopra debunks obvious things, like materialism = happiness and the greed and corruption of big pharma. But he doesn't expose lie and conspiracies and government crimes. He doesn't talk about the JFK assassination or 9/11. So his teachings are limited to politically correct areas. He doesn't go all out on truth. He tries to be tactful and politcally correct, to remain popular.

Chopa is better than most New Age gurus though. He is more down-to-earth. He doesn't spout BS like "You can do anything if you believe in yourself" or "Attitude is everything" or "Happiness is a choice" etc. And he does not expect his followers to be positive and happy 24/7 like his friend Dr. Wayne Dyer does. He is far more realistic and understands Eastern philosophy better than most New Age gurus do. He has always said that both positive and negative energies are real and equal, as depicted in the Chinese ying yang symbol, so one must balance and harmonize both positive and negative energies, not try to suppress the negative and only focus on the positive, which most New Age teachers delusionally teach.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 24163
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby Winston » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:39 pm

HouseMD wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
Eightfold Path wrote:Most free-thinking Asian? Not by a long shot.


I'm interested, Eightfold Path, who do you consider to be the most free thinking Asian? I want names.

I guess one person on the top of my head is Deepak Chopra? Maybe Akira Kurosawa? Hideo Kohjima? Shigeru Miyamoto? Lee Kuan Yew, maybe? (He was an authoritarian, he was very non p.c. and very intelligent).


Buddha? Confucius?


Buddha and Confucius had a major influence on Chinese culture, society and religion. Sure. But how would Confucius be a freethinker? He advocated:

1. Obeying authority and those above you. Hierarchical authority.
2. Respecting your elders.
3. Being humble.
4. That people should be educated.
5. That people should work hard and be productive.
6. That education should be hard work and involve lots of memorization, in order to be used to place people in their class of society. The stupid school system where students memorize tons of useless data like robots is in part due to Confucius. All that does it make people conformists and obedient slaves with no ability to think critically or independently.

How is all this freethinking? I don't get it. It seems to establish structure in society, not freethought. So how is he a contender for most freethinking Asian of all time?

Buddha can be said to be a freethinker though. Yeah. He sat under a tree for 40 days and realized that the cause of suffering was the human propensity to cling to desires and attach to their wants. That was a great insight yeah, and a great freethought and realization too. But that's just one thing.

Winston Wu is a freethinker in many areas and topics, as explained and listed above. He's had many such insights and realizations too, some were gained on his own, not through books and teachings of others.

I've known Asian freethinkers, but they were not freethinkers in so many topics and categories like Winston Wu is. Not to brag. That's my honest opinion.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 24163
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby Winston » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:57 pm

HenryGeorge wrote:The most free thinking Asian's would have to be Lao Tzu, Confucius and Gautama Buddha...

Image


Even if so, they are of the ancient world. Winston Wu is the most freethinking Asian of the modern world. :P :lol:
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 24163
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby HouseMD » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:32 pm

Winston, you're wonderfully delusional. I know you like to honestly believe you're some beautiful and unique snowflake, but, truthfully, you're just some guy with too much free time that throws everything at the wall constantly to see what sticks because he has nothing better to do.
Image
When I say you are delusional, I don't mean it in some insulting sense. I mean you are legitimately delusional- you have beliefs that are unverified, unverifiable, made up, or just plain wrong that you cling to despite any and all evidence to the contrary. I mean, the most freethinking man of all time by your definition would probably be a nutcase, because he'd have come up with the most unique thoughts due to none of them making any damn sense at all. You've certainly got a large quantity of stuff going through your brain, but the quality leaves much to be desired.

As to owning up to faults- you literally can't see many of your faults, and tout some of them as strengths. Thinking you're the best or most unique of any sort of person of all time is just straight up narcissism at its finest, and yet you can't see that for the life of you. I mean, we've all got faults- I'm an anxious, stressed-out, self-destructive, overly-harsh, quick-tempered, flawed human being that somehow manages to always keep it together and keep pushing forward. Unlike you, who frequently is derided yet somehow thinks he's something special, I'm frequently praised and refuse to take a compliment. You think you're Asian freethinking pseudo-Jesus who will save the world from the West, I think I'm just some guy that's doing the best he can. You constantly pontificate, believing your thoughts are so precious they must be spread and cherished by the world. I sit in silence, listening, with many-a-thought in rumination, churning through my brain, for one gains little from speaking, but much from listening.

Enjoy thinking you're some kind of gift to the world, I guess. Whatever makes you happy. I just can't imagine how your views would change if you saw yourself as the world sees you, rather than from inside your own jumbled mind.
User avatar
HouseMD
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby Blue Murder » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:04 pm

HouseMD wrote:Winston, you're wonderfully delusional. I know you like to honestly believe you're some beautiful and unique snowflake, but, truthfully, you're just some guy with too much free time that throws everything at the wall constantly to see what sticks because he has nothing better to do.
Image
When I say you are delusional, I don't mean it in some insulting sense. I mean you are legitimately delusional- you have beliefs that are unverified, unverifiable, made up, or just plain wrong that you cling to despite any and all evidence to the contrary. I mean, the most freethinking man of all time by your definition would probably be a nutcase, because he'd have come up with the most unique thoughts due to none of them making any damn sense at all. You've certainly got a large quantity of stuff going through your brain, but the quality leaves much to be desired.

As to owning up to faults- you literally can't see many of your faults, and tout some of them as strengths. Thinking you're the best or most unique of any sort of person of all time is just straight up narcissism at its finest, and yet you can't see that for the life of you. I mean, we've all got faults- I'm an anxious, stressed-out, self-destructive, overly-harsh, quick-tempered, flawed human being that somehow manages to always keep it together and keep pushing forward. Unlike you, who frequently is derided yet somehow thinks he's something special, I'm frequently praised and refuse to take a compliment. You think you're Asian freethinking pseudo-Jesus who will save the world from the West, I think I'm just some guy that's doing the best he can. You constantly pontificate, believing your thoughts are so precious they must be spread and cherished by the world. I sit in silence, listening, with many-a-thought in rumination, churning through my brain, for one gains little from speaking, but much from listening.

Enjoy thinking you're some kind of gift to the world, I guess. Whatever makes you happy. I just can't imagine how your views would change if you saw yourself as the world sees you, rather than from inside your own jumbled mind.

+9001!
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.
Blue Murder
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 10:25 pm
Location: Climbing that mountain; reaching that plateau.

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby MarcosZeitola » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:09 pm

Winston, I will give you credit for being the only freethinker to date who has "Star Trek and Star Wars and Doctor Who" among the topics he's a freethinker in. Surely Deepak Chopra is but a mediocre ripoff compared to you. :lol:
User avatar
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 7:13 pm
Location: Phillipines

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby droid » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:25 pm

I give Winston that he's a doer, despite having many things against him, he traveled and sat down and made the website and put all the material together. I just wish he made details of his China adventures official new content, not just links to shutterfly pics.
As far as free thinking, he is a little bit too invested in some of the skeptiscism/paranormal stuff. As a freethinker you have to be skeptical even of your own thoughts and perception, that's the hardest part.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
User avatar
droid
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby HouseMD » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:31 pm

MarcosZeitola wrote:Winston, I will give you credit for being the only freethinker to date who has "Star Trek and Star Wars and Doctor Who" among the topics he's a freethinker in. Surely Deepak Chopra is but a mediocre ripoff compared to you. :lol:

His ability to separate his BTL-S3s from his A/SF-01s is surely quite mind expanding.
User avatar
HouseMD
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby MarcosZeitola » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:35 pm

droid wrote:I give Winston that he's a doer, despite having many things against him, he traveled and sat down and made the website and put all the material together. I just wish he made details of his China adventures official new content, not just links to shutterfly pics.
As far as free thinking, he is a little bit too invested in some of the skeptiscism/paranormal stuff. As a freethinker you have to be skeptical even of your own thoughts and perception, that's the hardest part.


I think the problem is that he is too attached to the label "freethinker". Other, genuine freethinkers, are not quite so attached to labels. They are less focused on their own bloated ego, either. A great mind will be recognized by others as such without having to go through tremendous efforts just to be seen. A great mind, also, will not latch onto things like conspiracy theories or racist theories by David Duke just to "go against the current" and "be different". Because that's what a lot of Winston's comments feel like; he is a provocateur, he likes to shock people I think. But there is more to being a great philosopher then just to say things that would shock others. That's just being a man who likes to, as internet jargon calls it "rustle jimmies". ;)

The one idea that will be Winston's legacy, is HappierAbroad. The philosophy behind this site, for which he is responsible, is what will be his legacy. No matter how many times he f***s up, no matter how many times he is dead wrong about something or just clueless, HA is what will remain of Winston and what people will remember him by when the Illuminati aliens finally beam him up.

Of course the idea to leave your own country and home and explore the world is hardly revolutionary. Explorers and travelers have slept with exotic women during their travels for as long as man has explored the earth. To travel purely for the sake of being happier somewhere else? Again, not revolutionary. To travel to find women? Lol, the ancient Romans went somewhere and stole the women from another tribe to create their own, didn't they? It's the ancient mantra of "the grass is always greener", and Winston did not invent the wheel here; he just jumped on the kart and gave it a paint job.
User avatar
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 7:13 pm
Location: Phillipines

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby Blue Murder » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:45 pm

MarcosZeitola wrote:
droid wrote:I give Winston that he's a doer, despite having many things against him, he traveled and sat down and made the website and put all the material together. I just wish he made details of his China adventures official new content, not just links to shutterfly pics.
As far as free thinking, he is a little bit too invested in some of the skeptiscism/paranormal stuff. As a freethinker you have to be skeptical even of your own thoughts and perception, that's the hardest part.


I think the problem is that he is too attached to the label "freethinker". Other, genuine freethinkers, are not quite so attached to labels. They are less focused on their own bloated ego, either. A great mind will be recognized by others as such without having to go through tremendous efforts just to be seen. A great mind, also, will not latch onto things like conspiracy theories or racist theories by David Duke just to "go against the current" and "be different". Because that's what a lot of Winston's comments feel like; he is a provocateur, he likes to shock people I think. But there is more to being a great philosopher then just to say things that would shock others. That's just being a man who likes to, as internet jargon calls it "rustle jimmies". ;)

The one idea that will be Winston's legacy, is HappierAbroad. The philosophy behind this site, for which he is responsible, is what will be his legacy. No matter how many times he f***s up, no matter how many times he is dead wrong about something or just clueless, HA is what will remain of Winston and what people will remember him by when the Illuminati aliens finally beam him up.

Of course the idea to leave your own country and home and explore the world is hardly revolutionary. Explorers and travelers have slept with exotic women during their travels for as long as man has explored the earth. To travel purely for the sake of being happier somewhere else? Again, not revolutionary. To travel to find women? Lol, the ancient Romans went somewhere and stole the women from another tribe to create their own, didn't they? It's the ancient mantra of "the grass is always greener", and Winston did not invent the wheel here; he just jumped on the kart and gave it a paint job.

And that's the show, folks. Thanks for stopping by. We'll see you next week right here on Happier Abroad.
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.
Blue Murder
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 10:25 pm
Location: Climbing that mountain; reaching that plateau.

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby jamesbond » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:35 am

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the most free thinking Asian of them all? :lol:

Image
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
User avatar
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7708
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby sentinel89 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:06 pm

MarcosZeitola wrote:
droid wrote:I give Winston that he's a doer, despite having many things against him, he traveled and sat down and made the website and put all the material together. I just wish he made details of his China adventures official new content, not just links to shutterfly pics.
As far as free thinking, he is a little bit too invested in some of the skeptiscism/paranormal stuff. As a freethinker you have to be skeptical even of your own thoughts and perception, that's the hardest part.


I think the problem is that he is too attached to the label "freethinker". Other, genuine freethinkers, are not quite so attached to labels. They are less focused on their own bloated ego, either. A great mind will be recognized by others as such without having to go through tremendous efforts just to be seen. A great mind, also, will not latch onto things like conspiracy theories or racist theories by David Duke just to "go against the current" and "be different". Because that's what a lot of Winston's comments feel like; he is a provocateur, he likes to shock people I think. But there is more to being a great philosopher then just to say things that would shock others. That's just being a man who likes to, as internet jargon calls it "rustle jimmies". ;)

The one idea that will be Winston's legacy, is HappierAbroad. The philosophy behind this site, for which he is responsible, is what will be his legacy. No matter how many times he f***s up, no matter how many times he is dead wrong about something or just clueless, HA is what will remain of Winston and what people will remember him by when the Illuminati aliens finally beam him up.

Of course the idea to leave your own country and home and explore the world is hardly revolutionary. Explorers and travelers have slept with exotic women during their travels for as long as man has explored the earth. To travel purely for the sake of being happier somewhere else? Again, not revolutionary. To travel to find women? Lol, the ancient Romans went somewhere and stole the women from another tribe to create their own, didn't they? It's the ancient mantra of "the grass is always greener", and Winston did not invent the wheel here; he just jumped on the kart and gave it a paint job.


But, the matrix that is modern western culture is unprecedented. I can't tell you how many American men I've tried to have discussions with about how in so many ways the grass really is much greener abroad, particularly when it comes to dating. Every one of them thinks I'm insane. None of them have even considered the idea that American women might not the gold standard, or that the west really does have a dating dystopia that works so favorably for women yet so disagreeable for men.. None of them have considered that a culture revolving around shitty music, degenerate reality TV shows, wasteful consumerism, and ridiculous sensationalism may not be the ideal environment to foster happiness for men. The extent of how far trapped people are into this matrix is unprecedented. At no point in history has any culture or nation fallen to the amount of ignorance to that of the west.

So in that sense, I would argue that HA is in some ways original.
sentinel89
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Re: Winston Wu - The Most Freethinking Asian of All-Time?

Postby Blue Murder » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:17 am

sentinel89 wrote:But, the matrix that is modern western culture is unprecedented. I can't tell you how many American men I've tried to have discussions with about how in so many ways the grass really is much greener abroad, particularly when it comes to dating. Every one of them thinks I'm insane. None of them have even considered the idea that American women might not the gold standard, or that the west really does have a dating dystopia that works so favorably for women yet so disagreeable for men.. None of them have considered that a culture revolving around shitty music, degenerate reality TV shows, wasteful consumerism, and ridiculous sensationalism may not be the ideal environment to foster happiness for men. The extent of how far trapped people are into this matrix is unprecedented. At no point in history has any culture or nation fallen to the amount of ignorance to that of the west.

So in that sense, I would argue that HA is in some ways original.

That's a bit of sensationalism right there in bold. We don't really know a lot from history, and some even suggest our history is not what we think it is. You be the judge of that, however, I fail to see why HA is original. The greener grass concept has been around since man evolved into separate people. You can find paintings of Moors (who are black, contrary to popular belief) macking on white chicks like it's no big deal. Other than that, you got it. Maybe, you know, the west isn't all there is? Nah. That's just crazy talk! :roll:
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.
Blue Murder
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 10:25 pm
Location: Climbing that mountain; reaching that plateau.

PreviousNext

Return to Asian American Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest