Do Nonconformist Asians have it the hardest?

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Repatriate, btw, other than you, no honest person denies the things I say about Chinese people. That doesn't say well about you.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Repatriate, you are wasting my time and playing games again.

I keep things insult free, but you are acting like a jackass.

You are raising the bar to me having to know 1.3 billion people. That's an old trick that lowers the quality of a debate.

If I told you that most parents do not want their kids to be kidnapped, would you deny it and say "You can't know that unless you know all 6 billion people in the world"? LOL

See how stupid that is?

I don't need to know all 1.3 billion Chinese people to see patterns in their behavior and culture. That's a cop out.

The traits of Chinese I describe are obvious. Few argue with it. Most honest people I KNOW (not you) do not disagree with it.

Patterns and differences exist. You are denying it for no logical reason.

A film proves nothing. It's fiction. The way everyday people are in real life is the proof I see.

No honest serious person claims that Chinese are very open people in general.

God you are really stupid and wasting my time.

When I show your thread to my other friends, like Jeff, they laugh and call you a BSer too. You are a talker, not an accurate observer.

Anyway, I'm done with this. You are not making serious arguments but just BSing and wasting my time. Debating this with you is lowering myself.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Quoting Chinese proverb, "reading a thousand descriptions is inferior to seeing", if you want to know what China is like, board a plane and go.
whosyourdaddy
Freshman Poster

Post by whosyourdaddy »

Japan and SE Asia are not as conformist as China and South Korea. From personal knowledge, Japan is quite open to non-conformists. However, Japanese are quite racist, you would fare better as a Korean, Northern Chinese or Mongolian.

The other (and better) option for you would be SE Asia. Practically all are filled with overseas Chinese. Thailand in particular comes to mind. Also, more non conformist Asians are likely to live in NYC and SF, with LA not trailing far behind.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Being an atypical Asian in Mexico

Post by Falcon »

Outside their own communities, non-conformist and atypical Asians are appreciated far more than conformist Asians.

In Mexico, wherever I go I am representing Chinese people (Yes, my parents were born in Taiwan, but they are waishengren). Since there are very few Asians in Mexico, they are not sure what Asians are actually like. When I interact with the locals, they would think that Chinese people are in fact highly talkative and outgoing, learn the local culture and language quickly, and assimilate easily. But in fact, what they are seeing is a very atypical Chinese guy. The way I act, talk, and look is just not typical of Chinese and Taiwanese people. I am nothing like KevJumba or Winston Wu (sorry hehe).

Mexicans would absolutely love how I speak Spanish fluently with a good Mexican accent and how I am so into Mexican culture/food/music/history/women. Many times, I've gotten comments such as "Eres más mexicano que gabacho" (You're more Mexican than American), "De verdad, eres mexicano!" (You really ARE Mexican!), and "Chinaloense!" (Chinese dude from Sinaloa!).

Now, many Asian tourists in Mexico do not interact much with the locals, walk around in closed groups, and speak very little Spanish. They would even talk to each other in their own languages about how impoverished and backward Mexico is. When people try to talk to them, they would put their hands up and wave them away. They would pretty much be passersby, and the locals wouldn't know what to think of them except that they are curiosities. One local Chinese restaurant owner in Mexico, who immigrated about 10 years ago, has also told me that he feels that he is less accepting of Mexican people and culture than Mexicans are of Chinese people and culture.

Solo Asian male backpackers from Japan, South Korea, China, the U.S., etc. are different, however. They usually speak very little Spanish but are far less closed off than the Asian tourists who travel in groups.

To all the Asians traveling in Latin America: "represent" as best as you possibly can to give the locals a good impression of Asians. Don't be closed off and untalkative - that would be seen as unfriendliness rather than politeness by many Latinos. Speak Spanish with a good local accent, and vigorously interact with the locals as much as possible.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I surely consider myself a NCA (Chinese-Canadian), I guess all of you guys here would agree that I fit into the non-conformist Asian category. Most Chinese people like to travel with tour groups for 2 major reasons. One, because they think it is more "safe". Look at what happened to the ones from Harbin who were on a bus in Taiwan! The vehicle flipped over, hit the rocks below, and everyone got killed! You call that "safe"? Protection from scammers and robbers? If you are stupid you could get robbed/scammed in pretty much any case. In fact, many robbers PREFER areas with big tourist crowds. Chinese people LOVE to show off by wearing designer brands and jewelry when they go abroad. That is a big embarassment to me, and I'm sure it is to all of you as well.

The second reason why most Chinese people go with tour groups is that they will have company with other Chinese people in a foreign country. Seriously, there's no point in even going there if all you are going to do is mix with other loud, arrogant, rude, and idiotic countrymen. Not to mention that tour groups often don't even show you the best side of the country, along with a hasty schedule that doesn't allow you to really explore things for yourself.

If I do decide to open a hostel somewhere in SEA in the future, I'd think twice before even allowing these kinds of tourists (not real travelers) to find lodging, regardless of nationality / ethnicity.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!