My account of Singapore and Malaysia

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

My account of Singapore and Malaysia

Post by DaRick »

Hey guys,

I spent a total of 14 days in Singapore and Malaysia, which is why I haven't been posting on here. Anyway, I won't bore you all with blocks of indecipherable text, instead I'll describe the things that stood out in my mind when I was there:

Singapore:
- Very clean - almost no litter and graffiti to be seen, whilst chewing gum is banned to this end
- Very crowded (unsurprisingly)
- Hot and humid, being near the equator - sort of like Brisbane in summer
- Many beautiful Chinese girls, many of whom were apparently eyeing me (so says my Dad, who bankrolled the trip and thus accompanied me)
- Some Anglo tourists (many Australian) - relatively few who annoyed me like in Malaysia
- Whenever I did see a white girl, they were either with their white boyfriend or single - I thought that this was instructive - these girls were very likely to be Anglo girls, which demonstrates that their desirability is almost certainly heavily restricted to Anglo nations and that is only because most Anglo men don't know any better or are simply too nationalistic and/or racist to seriously look overseas (not that I'm complaining, now)

Malaysia:
(my mother's original country - we originally were to reconcile with my mother's family, but instead rifts formed because of their lack of honesty to us - my aunt told my mother that my uncle would take time off to spend time with us - he did not do that and also failed to pick us up from my aunt's house at the appointed time, leading us to get a taxi after waiting for 2 hours - after having not seen us for 10 years)
- Quite dirty - the Malaysian people are quite accomplished builders (witness the Petronas Towers), but have no idea how to maintain anything, which leads to neighbourhoods etc. being in a state of great squalor, with rubbish strewn everywhere and mouldy-looking buildings due to the intense monsoonal rain and humidity
- Hot and humid, though not as bad as Singapore
- More polluted air, with haze and smog everywhere (thanks partially to Indonesian back-burning)
- I don't think that many Muslim Malay girls are that attractive - they also tend to be more conservative about marrying non-Muslims than their FSU, Indonesian or even Arab/Persian counterparts and my Mum (a Eurasian Roman Catholic) has a low opinion of them for various reasons - she'd be apoplectic if I married one
- Some of the Chinese girls are quite attractive
- Quite corrupt - our time was marred by Bersih protests, although we did not personally see any
- Many irritating Australian tourists who behaved like bogans at our hotel - the kids were often unsupervised and the adults were often quite poorly dressed - moreover, the wives were often overweight and could not carry themselves with much dignity
- Irritating bogan Australian girls were plentiful in number - some of them looked good, but 1) whinged about minutiae (like the elevator), 2) seemed to have (at best) absolute dags for boyfriends (I never saw an Anglo girl with somebody who even resembled a local) and 3) some dressed very skimpily in a more conservative Muslim country (they looked absolutely unrefined). Nothing to see here, then.

My Dad was annoyingly non-judgmental about them until he started drinking (at the hotel lounge), at which point he was more willing to criticise them (a good way to get into an Australian's inner psyche is to give them lots of booze - this wouldn't work on me, because I don't drink and I tend to be more candid than most Australians, anyway). He told me that what they thought was worthless and that any girl (he singled out one good-looking Malay girl who was working at the lounge) would be thrilled to have me, a decent person who was a hard-working professional (his words). He singled out one overweight Australian wife, saying, "who would you rather - someone fat and dumpy like that, or that girl?" I was even more convinced, then, to keep on ignoring Australian girls.

So anyway, that's about it. I don't think I could live in Malaysia, not with the diminished status of minorities, increasing squalor (worse than 10 years ago, actually) and my mother and her family at loggerheads. Put simply, I don't really think Malaysia is a country on the grow, despite their heavy investment in tourism. English is a second language, but it has diminished, hurting its global competitiveness, plus the government is too entrenched and corrupt to spend proper money on infrastructure - even in the tourist destinations, footpaths were hazardous, with loosely-covered drain holes everywhere. My aunt's house was also utterly unhealthy (I won't describe it), whilst my father could not handle some of the food. Singapore is a possibility, though.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Re: My account of Singapore and Malaysia

Post by Mr S »

DaRick wrote:Hey guys,

I spent a total of 14 days in Singapore and Malaysia, which is why I haven't been posting on here. Anyway, I won't bore you all with blocks of indecipherable text, instead I'll describe the things that stood out in my mind when I was there:

Singapore:
- Very clean - almost no litter and graffiti to be seen, whilst chewing gum is banned to this end
- Many beautiful Chinese girls, many of whom were apparently eyeing me (so says my Dad, who bankrolled the trip and thus accompanied me)
- Some Anglo tourists (many Australian) - relatively few who annoyed me like in Malaysia
- Whenever I did see a white girl, they were either with their white boyfriend or single - I thought that this was instructive - these girls were very likely to be Anglo girls, which demonstrates that their desirability is almost certainly heavily restricted to Anglo nations and that is only because most Anglo men don't know any better or are simply too nationalistic and/or racist to seriously look overseas (not that I'm complaining, now)

Malaysia:
(my mother's original country - we originally were to reconcile with my mother's family, but instead rifts formed because of their lack of honesty to us - my aunt told my mother that my uncle would take time off to spend time with us - he did not do that and also failed to pick us up from my aunt's house at the appointed time, leading us to get a taxi after waiting for 2 hours - after having not seen us for 10 years)
- Quite dirty - the Malaysian people are quite accomplished builders (witness the Petronas Towers), but have no idea how to maintain anything, which leads to neighbourhoods etc. being in a state of great squalor, with rubbish strewn everywhere and mouldy-looking buildings due to the intense monsoonal rain and humidity
- More polluted air, with haze and smog everywhere (thanks partially to Indonesian back-burning)
- I don't think that many Muslim Malay girls are that attractive - they also tend to be more conservative about marrying non-Muslims than their FSU, Indonesian or even Arab/Persian counterparts and my Mum (a Eurasian Roman Catholic) has a low opinion of them for various reasons - she'd be apoplectic if I married one
- Quite corrupt - our time was marred by Bersih protests, although we did not personally see any
- Many irritating Australian tourists who behaved like bogans at our hotel - the kids were often unsupervised and the adults were often quite poorly dressed - moreover, the wives were often overweight and could not carry themselves with much dignity
- Irritating bogan Australian girls were plentiful in number - some of them looked good, but 1) whinged about minutiae (like the elevator), 2) seemed to have (at best) absolute dags for boyfriends (I never saw an Anglo girl with somebody who even resembled a local) and 3) some dressed very skimpily in a more conservative Muslim country (they looked absolutely unrefined). Nothing to see here, then.

My Dad was annoyingly non-judgmental about them until he started drinking (at the hotel lounge), at which point he was more willing to criticise them (a good way to get into an Australian's inner psyche is to give them lots of booze - this wouldn't work on me, because I don't drink and I tend to be more candid than most Australians, anyway). He told me that what they thought was worthless and that any girl (he singled out one good-looking Malay girl who was working at the lounge) would be thrilled to have me, a decent person who was a hard-working professional (his words). He singled out one overweight Australian wife, saying, "who would you rather - someone fat and dumpy like that, or that girl?" I was even more convinced, then, to keep on ignoring Australian girls.

So anyway, that's about it. I don't think I could live in Malaysia, not with the diminished status of minorities, increasing squalor (worse than 10 years ago, actually) and my mother and her family at loggerheads. Put simply, I don't really think Malaysia is a country on the grow, despite their heavy investment in tourism. English is a second language, but it has diminished, hurting its global competitiveness, plus the government is too entrenched and corrupt to spend proper money on infrastructure - even in the tourist destinations, footpaths were hazardous, with loosely-covered drain holes everywhere. My aunt's house was also utterly unhealthy (I won't describe it), whilst my father could not handle some of the food. Singapore is a possibility, though.
Malaysia: sounds like you were actually visiting the Philippines instead, ha ha.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

If the hot Chinese girls were eyeing you in Singapore, then why didn't you approach or talk to them?

Did you approach any girls? Isn't that the most important thing, to get vibes from them?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

Winston wrote:If the hot Chinese girls were eyeing you in Singapore, then why didn't you approach or talk to them?
1) I spent a mere 3 days in that place.
2) My Dad told me that many were looking at me when I wasn't paying attention - which helps.
3) Trust me, you don't want to spend more time in the Singapore heat than necessary.
Did you approach any girls? Isn't that the most important thing, to get vibes from them?
Quite a few Malaysian (mostly Chinese, though some Malay girls) were eyeing me. I smiled or waved or whatever as I was passing by. At the very least, they smiled. Some laughed and said 'hello' (I had more time to do that sort of thing). I didn't do much in Singapore, though.

I also spoke to some Francophone girls. The ones from former French colonies (Reunion etc.) were friendly, the mainland French girls were more curt (though not as hostile as an Anglobitch can be).

I avoided Australian girls as much as possible.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Re: My account of Singapore and Malaysia

Post by DaRick »

Mr S wrote:
DaRick wrote:Hey guys,

Singapore:

Malaysia:

Malaysia: sounds like you were actually visiting the Philippines instead, ha ha.
Malaysia is richer than the Philippines, but it is definitely stagnant and like the Philippines, income inequality is very high. Singapore income distribution strikes me as more even, though older people get little in the way of pensions.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

oops -- wish you'd have told us earlier, I know some great places to get good seafood cheap in JB. Ah well.

In Malaysia, if a non-Muslim person wants to marry a Muslim, he/she must convert to Islam before the marriage is considered valid. If the Muslim wants to convert to another religion, apostasy in Islam is a very serious issue -- sometimes with deadly consequences.