My first visit to Shanghai, China

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.

Do you want a Chinese wife?

Hell yeah!
40%
No way!
60%

Total votes: 15
simnrdle
Freshman Poster

Post by simnrdle »

I am planning to go there next holiday, any idea about accommodation there?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Shanghai hotels are very numerous. I stayed at something called the FX Furama or something. It was a bit of a strange boutique hotel, but the price was good and the location was fantastic. It was 10 minutes walk to East Nanjing Road and 5 minutes walk to the Bund. It was also around $300 a night cheaper than the Westin down the road!
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Xiongmao,
First of all, apologies for not replying to this earlier as I just saw it, not sure how I may have missed it...:o
Thank you so much for your very informative and detailed reply. Yes it would awesome if we were to meet in China...Sept-Oct is the most realistic time frame for me to make it there. From reading your posts, seems that Guangzhou is the place to be and it's right accross Hong Kong, so that's where I'll more than likely to go. Would love also if you could put me in touch with single women there. By the way, are these older or younger women as I'm 31?
This would be my first time in China as a reconnaissance trip and then return and stay for a few months to 1-2 years to fully immerse myself into the culture and learn as much of the language as possible. I will be visiting a few cities, any that you or anyone else familiar with China can suggest? I know that Guangzhou is one of them, any other? I hear that Chengdu is a great place to be, anyone in here has been there and would like to share their experience here? That would be awesome!

Once again, thank you so much Xiongmao and everyone else for your contribution here.

xiongmaon wrote:Hi Jacre,

I will probably go to China in May 2012 and again in Sept or Oct. Give me a shout as we could meet up if you're going the same time.

I always go to Guangzhou. It's an easy city for Western guys and it's packed with single office ladies. Finding English speakers is very easy. I can put you in touch with many single women here, as well as find you a translator.

What's wrong with Shanghai? Well Shanghai women are formidable and if you want an easy life then they're not for you. Just think of all those LV bags you'll end up buying.

Beijing women are very attractive. They tend to be tall and pale skinned. The problem is Beijing. It has a terrible climate - hot in summer, cold in winter. And polluted most of the year.

The Chinese winter is horrible - only the coast round Hong Kong escapes. I still have the cough I picked up in Shanghai!

The best place for Chinese women is probably going to be Changsha. The only Westerners who are in town are men visiting Chinese women. Chnlove's biggest marriage agency is based there. There's something about Hunan women that American men love, as more American men marry Hunan women than women from any other Chinese province.

I once visited a city quite near to Changsha, and I'm not kidding - the women all looked like models. Even the girls selling fake socks on the sidewalk were 10's.

Guangzhou has the added advantage of Cantonese girls, and these have the mildest personalities in China. On the downside, their love of food makes them put on weight in later life!

Chinese women are very friendly - all the girls I've dated have been absolutely delightful. However I've only ever approached them online first. Approaching them in the street is hard - the hotter they are, the less likely that they speak any English. In Guangzhou many don't even speak Mandarin - this is a Cantonese stronghold, and the migrants speak wierd Sichuan dialects.

Anyway, I'm building a photo gallery of Chinese women. Take your pick:

Chinese women of Guangzhou and Shanghai
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Hi Jacaré,

I'm still in the UK at the moment but I am planning on living in China for 1-2 years, probably at the end of this year. I'll gladly show anyone around!

Guangzhou is good for women because the place is awash with office ladies from the provinces. They're bright, well educated and often speak fluent English.

Chengdu, Changsha and other places are also good for women. However, they're not very interesting places whereas Guangzhou is hot, insanely busy and a great place to learn about business.

I know a few Guangzhou women but I need to work on my businesswoman friend who knows every pretty office lady in Guangdong Province. Then we're in business!

I'm also intending to go to University there and study something or other. Fees are low and Universities are the best place to meet hot women!!!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

xiongmao wrote:Shanghai hotels are very numerous. I stayed at something called the FX Furama or something. It was a bit of a strange boutique hotel, but the price was good and the location was fantastic. It was 10 minutes walk to East Nanjing Road and 5 minutes walk to the Bund. It was also around $300 a night cheaper than the Westin down the road!
You spent 1,000 CNY for a hotel for ONE NIGHT? Compared to the Westin's 2,998 I suppose it WAS 'cheaper'.

You can get rooms for 30 to 168 CNY. In every city in China. Except, perhaps, Hong Kong.

Anything above 498 CNY is gilding the lily and massive over-kill.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I think that hotel starts at $30 USD/night.

http://www.agoda.com/asia/china/shangha ... _road.html
luoldeng9
Freshman Poster

Post by luoldeng9 »

Do any of you guys know how the girls are like in Xiamen? I have heard the most beautiful girls are from Chongqing, Suzhou, Chengdu, Hangzhou, and Guangzhou, but I haven't heard much about Xiamen on this site.

I will travel to Shanghai this Saturday and almost have my itinerary set, but I'm unsure about whether visiting Xiamen is worth it or not