Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

I Just Moved To The Philippines

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby xiongmao » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:02 am

Yeah, it's crazy here, and Guangzhou is perhaps the craziest city of them all.

Actually people do line up for the metro, but as soon as the train actually arrives it's every man, woman and child for themselves.

I saw people fighting to get onto a bus, and the bus had plenty of room for them all. I should have videoed them, but I have a feeling I'll see it happen again.

It's still irritating to be at the store checkout and some asshole barges in and tries to pay for his shopping before you've even paid for yours. I just shrug my shoulders. It's no use complaining, it's just the norm here.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby The_Adventurer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:54 pm

@Taco - I can?t really attest to the culture shock. I lived in Japan and Korea before coming here and, after arriving, spent a loooong time in Shanghai, pretty much speaking only English, and the company I was working with went out of their way to take care of my every need. By the time I really explored and experimented, I had a decent grasp of the language and could easily function pretty well on my on. Now I speak pretty damn good, so I don't have issues anywhere these days.

I actually have always felt more at home in Asian countries, even though I stick out like sore thumb. I never really fit in at home anyway.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Postby zboy1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:55 am

The_Adventurer wrote:@Taco - I can?t really attest to the culture shock. I lived in Japan and Korea before coming here and, after arriving, spent a loooong time in Shanghai, pretty much speaking only English, and the company I was working with went out of their way to take care of my every need. By the time I really explored and experimented, I had a decent grasp of the language and could easily function pretty well on my on. Now I speak pretty damn good, so I don't have issues anywhere these days.

I actually have always felt more at home in Asian countries, even though I stick out like sore thumb. I never really fit in at home anyway.

Interestingly enough, I, as an Asian person, have never felt like I fit in the United States either. I've always felt more free and comfortable whenever I've visited Korea or some other part of Asia, than I did at home. I felt more free and comfortable in my 'own skin' over there. I think part of that has to do with how 'racialized' and 'oppressive' the U.S. is, especially towards Asian men. I think Black men, too, suffer the same thing as well: the feeling of alienation and isolation due to the hostile racial atmosphere in the United States.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 am

zboy1 wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:@Taco - I can?t really attest to the culture shock. I lived in Japan and Korea before coming here and, after arriving, spent a loooong time in Shanghai, pretty much speaking only English, and the company I was working with went out of their way to take care of my every need. By the time I really explored and experimented, I had a decent grasp of the language and could easily function pretty well on my on. Now I speak pretty damn good, so I don't have issues anywhere these days.

Interestingly enough, I, as an Asian person, have never felt like I fit in the United States either. I've always felt more free and comfortable whenever I've visited Korea or some other part of Asia, than I did at home. I felt more free and comfortable in my 'own skin' over there. I think part of that has to do with how 'racialized' and 'oppressive' the U.S. is, especially towards Asian men. I think Black men, too, suffer the same thing as well: the feeling of alienation and isolation due to the hostile racial atmosphere in the United States.

Here's a good example of the 'racialized and oppressive atmosphere' of the U.S., I was talking about:

Segregated Prom: Wilcox County, Ga. High School Students Set Up First Integrated Prom
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/0 ... ostpopular
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Taco » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 am

Japan and Korea would have prepared you for life in China, I'm sure. However, for anyone that's never lived in Asia before going to China is like landing on the moon. I can't remember how many times I was left scratching my head trying to figure out what's going on.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jacaré » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:37 am

Interesting to read you guys talk about the huge culture shock when first landing in China. When I was in Guangzhou, I didn't experience any of that feeling of having landed on a different planet. Sure it was not easy if not out right feeling of helplessness as you can't read/understand signs around you, nor can you function normally without any chinese, but other than that, I didn't feel any of that culture shock. Or could that be to the fact that I also feel more at ease whenever I'm outside of Canada? Whether it be Brazil, Thailand, the Phililppines, Hong Kong or China, I have always felt more at ease in those places than in boring Canada. Go figure...
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Postby Jacaré » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:41 am

Thank you for your very informative and insightful post Taco! That post should be made a sticky and mandatory reading for anyone looking to live in the Phils or who is looking at getting serious with a girl! Where in the Phils are you based in if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again for your wonderful post!

Cheers!

Taco wrote:8 Month Update

Random Thoughts…

Once you get past the lying, cheating, stealing, diarrhea, vomiting, ants, flies, termites, cockroaches, rats, dogs barking, cats fighting, roosters crowing, crowds, drunk guys singing karaoke, crazy driving , strange smell at the mall, and hot as hell weather, this country has some charm to it. If you have an easy going personality you can adapt to the culture within two or three months. If little things tend to bother you it might take six months or more. Perfectionists will definitely suffer the most here.

The Philippines can be a very, very frustrating place for most foreigners that move here. Low standards to nonexistent standards are the norm for every facet of life here. The lack of quality control and accountability will drive you insane. Simple problems can take weeks and months to resolve. Simple questions to qualified “professionalsâ€￾ here will likely draw a blank stare and confound the wise.

The work ethic here leaves much to be desired. Wages are low so people lose their motivation. Threatening a lazy employee doesn’t work because there not making any money anyway so they don’t care if they get fired.

If you start a business here I recommend an online business with foreigners as your primary customers. Me and my wife had a small business catering to local Filipinos and while we were making money we had to work 16 hours a day just to make $50 or $60 dollars. When your product is second rate it means your in the volume business which in turn means you have to work long hours to turn a profit, not my idea of fun.

If you decide to live in the Philippines I highly recommend moving to a city far away from your girlfriends or wives family, I have already had some bad experiences with this. Most likely, your Filipinas family will not stop bothering you until every last cent you own is in their pocket. Also, there are many issues with jealousy and gossip. Should you own something your Filipinas family wants they can get very jealous which is usually obvious.

I ran into an expat a few weeks ago who told me his total monthly expenses for himself, wife and son amount to $750 a month. If you have a small plot of land where you can grow your own food you can probably get by on less than that. A monthly income of $800 a month is considered middle class here.

The climate here can be very uncomfortable(hot) for foreigners. I recommend living at a higher elevation to make it more bearable. Any town or city above 3,000ft will help make your stay here a pleasant one. Baguio and Taygaytay City are two of the most livable cities in all of Southeast Asia both are located on mountain tops.

Most of the food at western restaurants here sucks. McDonald’s was ok but Pizza Hut and KFC made me sick. There’s one expat owned pizza restaurant in my city which serves mediocre food that I can tolerate. The best food I’ve eaten here are simple dishes with rice, meat and vegetables that my wife makes everyday.

Filipinas

You need to be very cautious which women you date should you decide on a short term fling or a long term relationship, it’s not always obvious which women can be trusted. My experience has been women with a strong work ethic and long attention span are usually more trustworthy. Women that talk excessively, dress sexy and get bored easily should be avoided. I see lots of older guy with sexy young women but these flings rarely amount to anything long term. Generally, these men find an even sexier woman or they get ripped off so badly they can’t afford to date anymore. The more patient you are the more likely you’ll find the girl of your dreams.

I have women half my age flirting with me almost every day. During most of these encounters I haven’t shaved, showered, brushed my teeth or even combed my hair and some even know I’m married. My point is you could be in a coma and still get a girlfriend in 2 seconds here. The women that work at the open air market selling fish, fruit, rice etc… are my biggest fans. No matter how boring you are or how bad your social skills or how average looking you are, most Filipinas will find you very attractive.

My expat neighbor dumped his 32 yr old Filipina girlfriend last Saturday after he spent $40,000 on her in a year and a half and had a new 18 yr old Filipina girlfriend on Sunday. The lesson here is don’t waste your time dating bitches In the Philippines, just show them the door. Just remember, you’re a hot commodity here which might not be obvious at first if you’ve been living in a western country your whole life.

Conclusion

You can definitely be happy living in the Philippines although it does take more persistence. If your used to having the best of everything you’ll find it difficult at first. Also, it helps to start some new hobbies when you move here besides getting drunk and fooling around. I took up small scale chicken farming since I like eating chicken a lot. If you’ve been to the Philippines already and didn’t enjoy yourself I suggest living in China for a while where conditions are generally worse.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Postby Taco » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Jacaré wrote:Thank you for your very informative and insightful post Taco! That post should be made a sticky and mandatory reading for anyone looking to live in the Phils or who is looking at getting serious with a girl! Where in the Phils are you based in if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again for your wonderful post!

Cheers!

Taco wrote:8 Month Update

Random Thoughts…

Once you get past the lying, cheating, stealing, diarrhea, vomiting, ants, flies, termites, cockroaches, rats, dogs barking, cats fighting, roosters crowing, crowds, drunk guys singing karaoke, crazy driving , strange smell at the mall, and hot as hell weather, this country has some charm to it. If you have an easy going personality you can adapt to the culture within two or three months. If little things tend to bother you it might take six months or more. Perfectionists will definitely suffer the most here.

The Philippines can be a very, very frustrating place for most foreigners that move here. Low standards to nonexistent standards are the norm for every facet of life here. The lack of quality control and accountability will drive you insane. Simple problems can take weeks and months to resolve. Simple questions to qualified “professionalsâ€￾ here will likely draw a blank stare and confound the wise.

The work ethic here leaves much to be desired. Wages are low so people lose their motivation. Threatening a lazy employee doesn’t work because there not making any money anyway so they don’t care if they get fired.

If you start a business here I recommend an online business with foreigners as your primary customers. Me and my wife had a small business catering to local Filipinos and while we were making money we had to work 16 hours a day just to make $50 or $60 dollars. When your product is second rate it means your in the volume business which in turn means you have to work long hours to turn a profit, not my idea of fun.

If you decide to live in the Philippines I highly recommend moving to a city far away from your girlfriends or wives family, I have already had some bad experiences with this. Most likely, your Filipinas family will not stop bothering you until every last cent you own is in their pocket. Also, there are many issues with jealousy and gossip. Should you own something your Filipinas family wants they can get very jealous which is usually obvious.

I ran into an expat a few weeks ago who told me his total monthly expenses for himself, wife and son amount to $750 a month. If you have a small plot of land where you can grow your own food you can probably get by on less than that. A monthly income of $800 a month is considered middle class here.

The climate here can be very uncomfortable(hot) for foreigners. I recommend living at a higher elevation to make it more bearable. Any town or city above 3,000ft will help make your stay here a pleasant one. Baguio and Taygaytay City are two of the most livable cities in all of Southeast Asia both are located on mountain tops.

Most of the food at western restaurants here sucks. McDonald’s was ok but Pizza Hut and KFC made me sick. There’s one expat owned pizza restaurant in my city which serves mediocre food that I can tolerate. The best food I’ve eaten here are simple dishes with rice, meat and vegetables that my wife makes everyday.

Filipinas

You need to be very cautious which women you date should you decide on a short term fling or a long term relationship, it’s not always obvious which women can be trusted. My experience has been women with a strong work ethic and long attention span are usually more trustworthy. Women that talk excessively, dress sexy and get bored easily should be avoided. I see lots of older guy with sexy young women but these flings rarely amount to anything long term. Generally, these men find an even sexier woman or they get ripped off so badly they can’t afford to date anymore. The more patient you are the more likely you’ll find the girl of your dreams.

I have women half my age flirting with me almost every day. During most of these encounters I haven’t shaved, showered, brushed my teeth or even combed my hair and some even know I’m married. My point is you could be in a coma and still get a girlfriend in 2 seconds here. The women that work at the open air market selling fish, fruit, rice etc… are my biggest fans. No matter how boring you are or how bad your social skills or how average looking you are, most Filipinas will find you very attractive.

My expat neighbor dumped his 32 yr old Filipina girlfriend last Saturday after he spent $40,000 on her in a year and a half and had a new 18 yr old Filipina girlfriend on Sunday. The lesson here is don’t waste your time dating bitches In the Philippines, just show them the door. Just remember, you’re a hot commodity here which might not be obvious at first if you’ve been living in a western country your whole life.

Conclusion

You can definitely be happy living in the Philippines although it does take more persistence. If your used to having the best of everything you’ll find it difficult at first. Also, it helps to start some new hobbies when you move here besides getting drunk and fooling around. I took up small scale chicken farming since I like eating chicken a lot. If you’ve been to the Philippines already and didn’t enjoy yourself I suggest living in China for a while where conditions are generally worse.

I live in Cebu province, home of the horniest women on this planet.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby davewe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Taco wrote:

I've dated women from Mindanao and Luzon, as well as Cebu. It ain't just Cebu province :)
davewe
Experienced Poster

Postby Taco » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 am

davewe wrote:
Taco wrote:

I've dated women from Mindanao and Luzon, as well as Cebu. It ain't just Cebu province :)

Well maybe you can kindly rank these provinces according to the sexual desire of their females.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby xiongmao » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Taco's big update is worth a re-read.

I'm slowly (well quickly) losing my mind here in Southern China. If the younger me had come here I'd have lost my mind already. Mosquitoes, viruses, rain, pollution, shit and piss in the streets, dogs, flying cockroaches, it will all drive you mad. Plus I haven't mentioned Chinese people with their spitting and other annoying habits. People here just don't give a shit about other people. Grrrr.

On top of that dating here is hard work. Sure, it's very easy to get dates. But finding good women worth marrying, well that's hard assed work in any country.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Taco » Thu May 22, 2014 10:58 pm

After almost 2 years in Cebu I finally had no choice but to come home. Me and my wife had to sell our business which was out only source of income. Also, the Philippines is experiencing a drought right now so its extremely hot(45C to 50C with humidity) which was making me sick. I'll start looking for a job soon and apply with Immigration to have my wife and her son come over soon.

I was worried I might have a difficult time finding my flight home at HK airport but I simply followed the trail of dysfunctional women through the airport. First, I noticed a 6'3'' chick(no boyfriend) motoring past airport security. After walking about a mile I realized I was at the correct departure gate when I saw another 6' chick doing aerobics in an attempt to not draw attention to herself with her scorpion tattooed boyfriend looking on. After travelling for 19 hours from HK I was finally home, the jet lag has lasted a week.

I'm not sure what culture shock is worse going to Cebu or coming back home. Its definitely a boner killing experience having to look at the women here again. I had so many teen virgins throwing themselves at me in Cebu it was ridiculous. I went for a walk around the neighborhood yesterday and saw an all woman construction crew roofing a house, its so depressing. Also, having trouble getting used to western food after eating rice twice a day for two years, I miss the mangoes and pineapple already.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby newlifeinphilippines » Fri May 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Taco wrote:After almost 2 years in Cebu I finally had no choice but to come home. Me and my wife had to sell our business which was out only source of income. Also, the Philippines is experiencing a drought right now so its extremely hot(45C to 50C with humidity) which was making me sick. I'll start looking for a job soon and apply with Immigration to have my wife and her son come over soon.

I was worried I might have a difficult time finding my flight home at HK airport but I simply followed the trail of dysfunctional women through the airport. First, I noticed a 6'3'' chick(no boyfriend) motoring past airport security. After walking about a mile I realized I was at the correct departure gate when I saw another 6' chick doing aerobics in an attempt to not draw attention to herself with her scorpion tattooed boyfriend looking on. After travelling for 19 hours from HK I was finally home, the jet lag has lasted a week.

I'm not sure what culture shock is worse going to Cebu or coming back home. Its definitely a boner killing experience having to look at the women here again. I had so many teen virgins throwing themselves at me in Cebu it was ridiculous. I went for a walk around the neighborhood yesterday and saw an all woman construction crew roofing a house, its so depressing. Also, having trouble getting used to western food after eating rice twice a day for two years, I miss the mangoes and pineapple already.

sorry to hear. personally i get bored of philippines after a few months. there is something weird about having a wife or girlfriend in philippine it seems so inferior and cheap like its fun time and then i gotta go home eventually lol. it seems like if i had the same girl in america or an american girl id probably enjoy it more since it seemed more legit. call me crazy but philippines seems like a playground where unless it happens in america it seems like a dream and cheap. ideally for me id like to travel around to various countries including back home to america. but thats very expensive to d and you can't hold down a girlfriend if you do that so its either i keep my girlfriend or go run off a lone to thailand and japan and hit up bars which may sound like fun but its also lonely and humiliating.

Ive had the opposite luck financially as you. Im making so much money online im literally shocked. Like literally over 10,000 a month. I never dreamed i get this level. its legally grey area though so im putting most away. thats how i can afford to travel overseas 6 months a year but i dont get cocky and put savigns away.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Postby Taco » Fri May 23, 2014 6:09 pm

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
Taco wrote:After almost 2 years in Cebu I finally had no choice but to come home. Me and my wife had to sell our business which was out only source of income. Also, the Philippines is experiencing a drought right now so its extremely hot(45C to 50C with humidity) which was making me sick. I'll start looking for a job soon and apply with Immigration to have my wife and her son come over soon.

sorry to hear. personally i get bored of philippines after a few months. there is something weird about having a wife or girlfriend in philippine it seems so inferior and cheap like its fun time and then i gotta go home eventually lol. it seems like if i had the same girl in america or an american girl id probably enjoy it more since it seemed more legit. call me crazy but philippines seems like a playground where unless it happens in america it seems like a dream and cheap. ideally for me id like to travel around to various countries including back home to america. but thats very expensive to d and you can't hold down a girlfriend if you do that so its either i keep my girlfriend or go run off a lone to thailand and japan and hit up bars which may sound like fun but its also lonely and humiliating.

Ive had the opposite luck financially as you. Im making so much money online im literally shocked. Like literally over 10,000 a month. I never dreamed i get this level. its legally grey area though so im putting most away. thats how i can afford to travel overseas 6 months a year but i dont get cocky and put savigns away.

I was just wondering what type of business do you have?
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Rock » Sat May 24, 2014 4:22 am

Taco where is home for you, UK?

Sorry you had to go home against your plans. I don't think you have to worry about your wife changing there though since she sounds mature.

In spite of all your warnings about how the USA and western world is collapsing, I think you have to agree that having that first world passport is still a huge asset as Ladislav has talked about before. The wealth and prosperity available per capita in Anglo world, even today, is enormous compared to what it is in Philippines.

As for making money here, I've heard the following -

- If you have combined skills, say an extra useful language (Korean, Chinese, Spanish, etc.) plus English and a practical skill like IT, you may be able to land a decent paying job. I know one local girl working in Makati call center who pulls in a net of around 80,000 pesos per month cus she has IT plus languages.

- You could consider doing bed spacing business near a school. That can be quite profitable. In your name, you could consider long-term lease which is cheaper way to go. In your wife's name, you could even buy something.

- If you can sock away around $70,000, you could consider buying a condo for rent in a hot area of Mega Manila and rent it out to foreigners. You might net around 20,000 Pesos a month doing that. That's not much money to live on in Mega Manila but would go a lot further in the province where you were staying before.

Hope you can adjust well to life back in your country and that your wife likes it there too.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports, Travel Experiences, Expat Stories