Pros and Cons of Manila - I like Angeles City better

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
HiEngineer
Freshman Poster

Pros and Cons of Manila - I like Angeles City better

Post by HiEngineer »

Hey Everyone,

My name is David and I'm from Hawai'i. I just visited Manila and I have to say that it's not as good of a place as Angeles City. I'll do it pros and cons style like Winston does. I haven't been in Manila that long but I already know it's worse than Angeles

Pros:
1. Manila has an asian exotic feel to it. You have the Manila bay. The tall city buildings. Bars everywhere. Nightlife and a lot of Filipinas. If you accept the trash and poverty in some places, Manila still has a good asian exotic feel to it.

2. The Malls. There is the Mall of Asia which is really gigantic and nice all around with aircon inside the mall. Love songs are playing and couples are everywhere. A bunch of students study together there. The beach is right there at the back of Mall of Asia which is really nice. And they have several rides including a tall ferris wheel right by the ocean which is exotically fun. I really liked the Mall of Asia when I went there.
I also went to Robinsons Ermita which also had an Asian exotic mall feel to it which I really liked.

3.Delivery. I was able to have McDo delivered to my hotel room. I also heard that there are many other places that deliver as well.

Cons:
1. The air. First and foremost the air. I was pretty much happy only indoors because I couldn't go outside because of the belching of vehicles and the air quality seemed heavy when I breathed it in. If it wasn't for the air, this place would be an absolute paradise with it's asian exotic feel. Angeles has kind of bad air, but it seems to be more breathable than the air in Manila. Remember Winston posted that Angeles has worse air, but maybe I'm different and it seemed to be worse here in Manila. I kept having dark green snot coming out of nose all the time. lol. It's a good sign that it's coming out, but shows how bad the air is.

2. The attitude of people. Unless you speak their language or have their filipino accent of talking, a lot of people seem to have an attitude of "I don't like you foreigner." I mean I'm part filipino and I still get this attitude lol. For example, I walk into a 7-11 and buy some minute maid pulpy. The clerks says good morning sadly like it's an obligation. Then I say thank you. Then the clerk gives me this "I hate you, you didn't give me tip" look.
Even the hotel staff at Sogo Hotel. They greet you nicely, but it's obligatory. When you say hi or thank you back, they just say it so dully in a dull tone "You're welcome!!" or "Okay!!"
Even when you walk past a person and smile and nod. They just give you this dull look and you're lucky if you even get a nod. Obviously not all people in Manila are like this, but a good deal of them are.
In Angeles most people at the hotels, stores, bars, or outside have a happy welcoming feel to them and they smile and welcome you. Not all of them have this attitude in Angeles, but a great deal more of them do, than in Manila.

3. The cost. If you want good quality the same as Angeles whether it be food, girls, bars, travel, it will cost you about double the amount.

For example, to barfine in Angeles is around 1500php on average. In Manila it would cost you 4000 plus two cab rides if you're not close to the bar.

4. The scammers. The taxi's are real scammers. I took a 1 minute taxi ride from Hotel Sogo in Malate to Robinsons Ermita and the taxi driver didn't run the meter. I told him to run the meter. He just kept saying "100 peso. just 100 pesos." I know it's only going to cost me around 30 php but this driver will not turn on the meter. So I decided to pull a scam of my own. I play it cool until I get out of the cab at Robinsons. Then I tell him:
Me: "You didn't turn on the meter huh? I can report you for that."
Me: "50 pesos I pay" (which is more than what it's supposed to be)
Him: "50 pesos!!!?"
Me: "I can report you!!"
Me: "The gaurd is right there"
Me: Pull out a 100 php bill
Him: "I don't have change"
Me: "The gaurd is right there. I will report you!!"
Him: "I don't have change."
Me: "Okay I'm going to tell them now."
Him: "Okay I have I have change"
Him: Gives me the change
Me: Close the door
Him: "F--- you!!!" (As I close the door)

This same kind of incidences occurred several other times while I was here. It made me almost dread having to take a taxi.

In Angeles on Fields everything was all right there so you didn't have to travel that far to get what you needed. And you could just rent a scooter for a cheap price if you needed to get around.

Also I asked at the front desk if they have load, and the clerk girl said no, then the clerk guy said yes. Then they both spoke in tagalog so I didn't know what they were saying. Then I went back up to my room because they needed my phone. I come back downstairs and a different clerk guy is there. I ask him to buy load and they say they don't sell load there. I mean wth is going on? lol. Do you or don't you sell load there?

5. Bad quality of service for the same amount you pay in Angeles. I pay roughly 40 dollars per night her at hotel sogo which is about the sames Pacific Breeze in Angeles, and the quality of service is about half the amount here at Sogo compared with Pacific Breeze. I just asked for fresh towels about and hour ago and they only now brought the towels after asking them nicely 3 times. It's like if you're too nice here, they'l take advantage of you, but if you're assertive, they'll treat you like crap and fight with you. Also, the Internet went out several times and the manager said they are looking into it. I go up to my room and call them. And they said the manager will come to my room. But he didn't. I call them again. Then they finally say "We're resetting the router." Then it works after 4 hours of waiting and seeing them just smile and joke around. In Angeles the Internet never went out, and I got towels within a minute.

6. The traffic. In some cases, if you want to catch a bus where it stops, the light has to be red for it to stop. If it is green it will not stop for you. The buses do not stop consistently at their designated stops. Also the bus would be bump and jerky. Not all buses were bumpy and jerking when driving, but some were. At least some of them had no smoking signs in them so that people can't smoke in the bus.
The traffic is also very congested depending on the days and areas of Manila that you travel.

Keep in mind that all of these cons occur with the bad air surrounding you which sucks. There are some good things about Manila, but overall it doesn't have the quality for the price you pay and doesn't have as much of a friendly feels as Angeles City does. This is my rant on Manila. Please reply and let me know what you guys think. Maybe there are some good things that I have missed about Manila because I've been here for only about a week.
Teamsatan
Freshman Poster

Post by Teamsatan »

Yep...thats the Philippines.
Perhaps in the top ten most stupidly run countries in the world.
Its a logistical nightmare on so many levels.
The absolute lack of intelligence when dealing with anything run by locals is hilarious.
Business run by westerners is better but is held back by local staff.

Service ..food...hotels..transport.. are pathetic compared to any other asian country.

Girls...who can speak english...and are desperate....is the only reason to ever go there.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Manila would be nice to live in were it not for

1) Traffic
2) Enormous distances one needs to cover to find this and that.
3) High prices
4) The pollution and foul air

Angeles City is a like a mini-Manila and it is relatively near Manila with minimal traffic and pollution. Plus it has its own international airport.

Cebu is fine, also, but culturally it has the following problems:

People do not ( like to) speak Tagalog. In the Philippines? Hmmm. They can be very provincial there with a small town attitude- many ask all sorts of personal questions, gossip all the time, tease you ( and sometimes insult you in public) and do not mind their own business. otoh, they are also very friendly and can treat you as a family member which is what some people may or may not like.

Kapampangan- the ethnic group in and around Angeles City are very private people who may appear cold and distant, almost Japanese- like, but they do not bother you, do not gossip about you and they mind their own business.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Pros and Cons of Manila - I like Angeles City better

Post by Winston »

Yeah Manila sucks. It can be fun for a while if you have girls there or friends to hang out with. But the list of negatives and cons there is really long. The traffic and pollution are horrible too. But there are a lot of poor migrant girls that are easy to pick up if you are on the prowl and sweet talk them. They will do it for cheap if you bargain with them and they like you somewhat. Lots of great malls and entertainment too. Plus too many scams, stupid people and you gotta watch out for pick pockets. Many hotels are overpriced too, because Filipinos are greedy and love to overcharge if they can. And restaurants give very small portions because Filipinos are very stingy, they love to receive and hate to give, unlike here in China where they serve huge portions, often larger portions than the US even. No joke. I can't finish most meals in China even though I can eat a lot.

Angeles City is smaller and easier to get around and get familiar with. And prices are cheaper too. So it's easier to bear. But it has many of the same negatives, just on a smaller scale. But some guys like big city atmospheres, like Rock for instance. But he lives in a nicer upscale part of Manila in Makati.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Far more to the Philippines than Angeles and Manila. If I has to choose between the two I would choose the latter. Angeles maybe less hectic but it's a mecca of rundown shitty hotels and dodgy looking westerners, plus the locals are not as friendly as elsewhere in the Phils.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

I've never heard anything about living in the suburbs or outskirts of Manila, or nearby towns. What about these places...

San Pedro
Muntinlupa
Bacoor
Imus
Noveleta
Cavite city
Las Piñas
Alabang
Parañaque
Meycauayan City
Novaliches
Taytay
Angono
Cainta
Antipolo
Binangonan
Teresa

What are they like? Does anyone know?
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Lived in Cavite and Molino/Bacoor almost 2 years. Most of what I have written about the Philippines is in reference to these areas. No one bothers to read it though, so I don't bother as much anymore.

I believe I wrote about using DIA in these areas, when you're there, on the ground, searching for people online in your immediate area. One can have a lot of fun this way.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

The_Adventurer wrote:Lived in Cavite and Molino/Bacoor almost 2 years. Most of what I have written about the Philippines is in reference to these areas. No one bothers to read it though, so I don't bother as much anymore.

I believe I wrote about using DIA in these areas, when you're there, on the ground, searching for people online in your immediate area. One can have a lot of fun this way.
What's the noise/traffic/pollution like there? Is it like a western suburb, or different? Do you have any photos?
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Johnny1975 wrote:
What's the noise/traffic/pollution like there? Is it like a western suburb, or different? Do you have any photos?
Car traffic is light (except on the main road to Manilla) but noise is horrid from all the motorcycles and trikes around. There are also chickens who seem to have no concept of time. I lived in a place called something like California West and, yes, it looked like you were on any street in a subdivision in San Diego. When I showed photos to friends back home they thought I was lying about being in another country.

I could probably dig up photos if I went to search for them, but that will take some time.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

The_Adventurer wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:
Car traffic is light (except on the main road to Manilla) but noise is horrid from all the motorcycles and trikes around. There are also chickens who seem to have no concept of time. I lived in a place called something like California West and, yes, it looked like you were on any street in a subdivision in San Diego. When I showed photos to friends back home they thought I was lying about being in another country.

I could probably dig up photos if I went to search for them, but that will take some time.
Chickens are also infamous for their terrible sense of direction. No matter how clear your instructions are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpaOy8b8X6A. Yeah I'd be interested to see what one of the suburbs looks like.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Johnny1975 wrote:I've never heard anything about living in the suburbs or outskirts of Manila, or nearby towns. What about these places...

San Pedro
Muntinlupa
Bacoor
Imus
Noveleta
Cavite city
Las Piñas
Alabang
Parañaque
Meycauayan City
Novaliches
Taytay
Angono
Cainta
Antipolo
Binangonan
Teresa

From someone who has a home in the southern Philippines...metro Manila is by and large a shithole.
AC vs Manila is an argument about which shithole stinks less....
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

OutWest wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:I've never heard anything about living in the suburbs or outskirts of Manila, or nearby towns. What about these places...

San Pedro
Muntinlupa
Bacoor
Imus
Noveleta
Cavite city
Las Piñas
Alabang
Parañaque
Meycauayan City
Novaliches
Taytay
Angono
Cainta
Antipolo
Binangonan
Teresa

From someone who has a home in the southern Philippines...metro Manila is by and large a shithole.
You mean the whole city? Even the suburbs? I wish Google would hurry up and finish off the google streetview for the Philippines so I could have a look around.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Johnny1975 wrote:
OutWest wrote:

San Pedro
Muntinlupa
Bacoor
Imus
Noveleta
Cavite city
Las Piñas
Alabang
Parañaque
Meycauayan City
Novaliches
Taytay
Angono
Cainta
Antipolo
Binangonan
Teresa

You mean the whole city? Even the suburbs? I wish Google would hurry up and finish off the google streetview for the Philippines so I could have a look around.

Metro Manila is about 25 million...if you are not in the middle of horrible pollution, vast traffic, massive overpopulation, corruption central ( And asshole taxi ripoffs), you are very near all those things. Yes, Makati or Global City is much better than some ghetto, but it is still subject to all those things. No thanks. Why do you need metro Manila anyway?
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

OutWest wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:
OutWest wrote:

San Pedro
Muntinlupa
Bacoor
Imus
Noveleta
Cavite city
Las Piñas
Alabang
Parañaque
Meycauayan City
Novaliches
Taytay
Angono
Cainta
Antipolo
Binangonan
Teresa

Metro Manila is about 25 million...if you are not in the middle of horrible pollution, vast traffic, massive overpopulation, corruption central ( And asshole taxi ripoffs), you are very near all those things. Yes, Makati or Global City is much better than some ghetto, but it is still subject to all those things. No thanks. Why do you need metro Manila anyway?
Well if I was ever to go there I think the capital would be best. I'd like to be close to embassies, the airport, and close to where the action is. I'm trying to convince myself that there's a part of Manila that is reasonably normal, and it's not working out too well. Damn the Philippines and it's humidity and all the other bullshit.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Johnny1975 wrote:Well if I was ever to go there I think the capital would be best. I'd like to be close to embassies, the airport, and close to where the action is. I'm trying to convince myself that there's a part of Manila that is reasonably normal, and it's not working out too well. Damn the Philippines and it's humidity and all the other bullshit.
Makati is clean and more on par with Western standards of living. It's a lot more expensive then other parts of Manila, never mention the very affordable provincial life, but if "reasonably normal" is what you're after, Makati is where you should look.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144