18 days in the Philippines

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Post by Twobrains »

Thanks to Mr S and Outwest for contributing their knowledge and in-depth experience. If I go to Mindanao again I shall definitely check out CDO.
"As long as you make an identity for yourself out of the pain, you cannot become free of it." Eckhart Tolle
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Mr. S,
Thank you for your insight on Davao and on CDO. I have not been there and I do plan on going there, even spending a few months in each in the near future. I've been chatting with some lovely, educated, sweet and beautiful middle class girls from both Davao and CDO that I do intend on meeting in person when I get there.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences about Baccolod and Dumaguete tough.

Cheers.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Mr S wrote:Davao is NOT the place to go in the Philippines, it's even more boring than Cebu if you actually thought Cebu was boring. It's only good if you like laid back places and looking for "good" girls. The P4P scene is almost non-existent and the ones available aren't that decent so not really worth bothering to begin with.
I can see you've got a lot of experience with the Philippines, yet why are you assuming that the only reason to be a tourist in a mid-size or large city is to bang a few hookers? :) As an obvious corollary, if people were specifically looking for "good" girls, wouldn't Davao be one of the best places to be in the Phils?
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

publicduende wrote:
Mr S wrote:Davao is NOT the place to go in the Philippines, it's even more boring than Cebu if you actually thought Cebu was boring. It's only good if you like laid back places and looking for "good" girls. The P4P scene is almost non-existent and the ones available aren't that decent so not really worth bothering to begin with.
I can see you've got a lot of experience with the Philippines, yet why are you assuming that the only reason to be a tourist in a mid-size or large city is to bang a few hookers? :) As an obvious corollary, if people were specifically looking for "good" girls, wouldn't Davao be one of the best places to be in the Phils?
LOL...BINGO!...again my friend...that sense of humanity. It will serve you well.

Outwest
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

OutWest wrote:
publicduende wrote:
LOL...BINGO!...again my friend...that sense of humanity. It will serve you well.

Outwest
Assuming you're not being tongue in cheek, thanks mate, much appreciated! :) I just tend to follow Phil Collins' advice to always look at both sides of the story.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: 18 days in the Philippines

Post by djfourmoney »

Taco wrote:
Twobrains wrote:
I first went to Cebu. This city is a big, dirty craphole. I was taken aback by how 3rd world it is.

What your saying is true. Cebu City is not the best place place for meeting new friends, big cities never are. However, I'll take Cebu over Brixton(South London) any day. I used live in South London, you can get your throat slit for 10p and almost as much poverty.

The Philippines is what you make it, it took me about 3 months to get used to it, I like it more than China. My neighbor from Switzerland lives in a posh house with a 9ft. concrete wall around his property, he's not suffering believe me.
Besides poor Brits (White) and poor Black Brits, isn't Brixton full of Eastern Europeans? (Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Czech Women). Being that they often take low wage jobs such as call center and other jobs that Brits (much like Americans) don't wanna do.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

My two centavos.

If you are a Middle Are White man you can't possibly do any better than PI. It is one of the few places you can be a personality voided, overweight, middle age man and still get laid for not much money or for free and if you want more, there are plenty of women standing by to be the next Mrs Boring, Middle Aged White Male.

Your other option is middle aged Russian women who are overlooked DAILY by the ENTIRE POPULATION.

Don't bother with Western women because those in your age range still believe they are young and sexy contrary to what visual evidence you have against that.

China does not require knowing Mandarin unless you're going to go off into the poor villages between the major cities. Stick to the major cities, more women there than you know what to do with.

But really... How come you didn't hop the boarder over to Germany to get your swerve on? P4P's in Germany are affordable if you don't do it daily. There are cheaper options in Germany if you don't mind sharing space, group sex or swingers parties. (NSFW!)

Just sayin
Rebecca1234
Freshman Poster

Post by Rebecca1234 »

Twobrains! You are just for eighteen days in Philippines and let me tell you some of the most amazing
places to see in Philippines:
Banaue Rice Terraces
Boracay
Chocolate Hills
Donsol
Puerto Princesa Underground River
Puerto Galera
Malapascua Island
Mayon Volcano
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

When I first visited Cebu in 2006, I thought it was Heaven. When I visited again in 2012, my experience was the same as Twobrain's. I think Cebu City has gone downhill, but if you're willing to work hard you can still find a quality Filipina, maybe further away from the big cities.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Hero wrote:When I first visited Cebu in 2006, I thought it was Heaven. When I visited again in 2012, my experience was the same as Twobrain's. I think Cebu City has gone downhill, but if you're willing to work hard you can still find a quality Filipina, maybe further away from the big cities.

Was it cause of the koreans? Koreans are going to cebu in mass i wonder if that has changed the demographics of the women in phil as a result (bigger whores?) . Also more american, etc foreigners too cause over time more and more white guys figure it out and want to settle in there for good? I wonder if it has changed that quickly. Could be just a bad luck on your part since both your vacations were short.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

The OPs views about the cities he visited aren't off or at least far off. It's a 3rd world country and you either can or cannot deal with some of the aspects of that. Cebu City is called Little Manila for a reason; it's got a lot of the bad aspects (traffic, crime, dirt, poverty) as Manila and some of its positive characteristics (night life, infrastructure, international airport, medical, and even jobs for Filipinos). It's a decent starting off spot not a destination.

Davao is pleasant enough for a place to live but not for a place to have a blast for a few days. Yes very little night life. As Outwest and Mr. S said CDO is better. It's somewhat more modern, cleaner, hell you'd almost call it upscale. I liked my time there and would love to go back.

Angeles exists for only one reason and Manila is Manila - not my favorite place.

But honestly all these views could have been discovered with a 5 minute Google search.

Most people from the West will simply not like the Philippines; it's too alien for the Western mind and too 3rd world. They may like the women or the people in general. I suppose it takes a certain mind set (perhaps mine is warped) to see what to like about the place. I got maybe 100 buddies married to Filipinas and very few of them are anxious to visit the place, other than to please their wives. They are all shocked or amused that I am planning to move there. But interestingly enough they all ask whether I will have an extra room when they come to visit :)

Of course you couldn't pay me to move to Cebu City, Manila or Angeles. CDO? That's a different story.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

davewe wrote:The OPs views about the cities he visited aren't off or at least far off. It's a 3rd world country and you either can or cannot deal with some of the aspects of that. Cebu City is called Little Manila for a reason; it's got a lot of the bad aspects (traffic, crime, dirt, poverty) as Manila and some of its positive characteristics (night life, infrastructure, international airport, medical, and even jobs for Filipinos). It's a decent starting off spot not a destination.

Davao is pleasant enough for a place to live but not for a place to have a blast for a few days. Yes very little night life. As Outwest and Mr. S said CDO is better. It's somewhat more modern, cleaner, hell you'd almost call it upscale. I liked my time there and would love to go back.

Angeles exists for only one reason and Manila is Manila - not my favorite place.

But honestly all these views could have been discovered with a 5 minute Google search.

Most people from the West will simply not like the Philippines; it's too alien for the Western mind and too 3rd world. They may like the women or the people in general. I suppose it takes a certain mind set (perhaps mine is warped) to see what to like about the place. I got maybe 100 buddies married to Filipinas and very few of them are anxious to visit the place, other than to please their wives. They are all shocked or amused that I am planning to move there. But interestingly enough they all ask whether I will have an extra room when they come to visit :)

Of course you couldn't pay me to move to Cebu City, Manila or Angeles. CDO? That's a different story.
are you saying all of your 100 buddies can't wait to go to phil to visit or dread it? I know someone married to a filipina and he refuses to ever go back after his initial visits when he met here there. there he hates the place and almost regrets marrying a filipina. He said he will never og back if the current one doesn't work out( his wife is an RN).

Personally id rather visit India at this point LOL. at least ill learn something and be productive. Philippines has too much temptation and its too easy to run amok.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

publicduende wrote:
Sorry to disagree with Outwest for once, but I didn't find the above remotely funny. A great piece of evidence of what a self-inflicted clusterfu(k this forum has become, and why I chose not to post a whisper about my 2-week stint in the Philippines (Samal island and Davao) followed by a 3-week one in Medellin, where I am now, with my wife.
I think that qualifies as more than a whisper.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
are you saying all of your 100 buddies can't wait to go to phil to visit or dread it?
Somewhere in the middle. Most neither hate nor love it. They go once in a while with their wives. Of course there's a difference between the guys who love to travel and love to travel in Asia, and the guy who went to PI once to meet his wife and that's it.

For me I liked the place before I met my wife and told her I was considering retiring there right from the start.

Then I have the friend who has been to PI many times and is now a bit terrified to go. His wife is very hot but he believes that he is incapable of keeping it in his pants and if his wife leaves him for even a day (say to be with her family) he will succumb to the temptations. Apparently he is just too guapo for his own good ;)
falcon garson
Freshman Poster

Post by falcon garson »

All of you create an interesting discussion. But there I am missing to view to the photos of Philippines. I mean I want to see the amazing sights of Philippines. so, guys can you share with us!