Ladislav in the Dominican Republic

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

DR is a completely different place to the PI. I was thinking about going on a combined DR/Colombia trip earlier this winter but never went.

There was like a 50+ page thread on RooshV about hanging out in DR.

You've been to Puerto Rico as well?

Keep up the reports. I'm enjoying them. As we all know, if you were to actually spend a year there, your views might change. The DR is also a small place. I'd imagine it's a good place to spend short periods of time, but that it might get boring after awhile.

The DR is supposed to be a good place to party though.

P.S. I believe that there are more light skinned girls in Santiago.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

celery2010 wrote:DR is a completely different place to the PI. I was thinking about going on a combined DR/Colombia trip earlier this winter but never went.

There was like a 50+ page thread on RooshV about hanging out in DR.

You've been to Puerto Rico as well?

Keep up the reports. I'm enjoying them. As we all know, if you were to actually spend a year there, your views might change. The DR is also a small place. I'd imagine it's a good place to spend short periods of time, but that it might get boring after awhile.

The DR is supposed to be a good place to party though.

P.S. I believe that there are more light skinned girls in Santiago.
Nope. Most of them are dark up there in Santiago.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
DigitalNomad
Freshman Poster

Post by DigitalNomad »

Teal Lantern wrote:Taco did not just post the hidden super-secret, stash-spot, get-out-of-dodge link, did he?! :shock:
Jeeze! :roll:
There are tricks to finding old post (hint hint), thanks taco...:) I can use a second one, when it all falls down...
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

DigitalNomad wrote:
Teal Lantern wrote:Taco did not just post the hidden super-secret, stash-spot, get-out-of-dodge link, did he?! :shock:
Jeeze! :roll:
There are tricks to finding old post (hint hint), thanks taco...:) I can use a second one, when it all falls down...
You don't f.ucking get it, jerkoff. I f.ucking hate the majority of westerners I swear. The pompousity is incorrigible. :-|
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

DigitalNomad
Freshman Poster

Post by DigitalNomad »

U sir need to get a life (outside this forum) - name calling.. wow are you 5?

Since u felt the need to open your mouth, oooooh big deal a second passport.. grow up need i list all the places this can be done? Some big secret? Chile,Uraguay,Parguay,DR all give 2nd opportunities but with most westerners being able to go back to their home/ancestry country.. big freaking deal....

: Survive the Collapse of Fiat Currencies, Including the Dollar & Euro
Dominican Republic Passport Programs Clarified

Dominican Republic Passport for ExpatsWe have literally had hundreds of questions submitted about residency, citizenship and 2nd passports in the Dominican Republic. The interest in this topic is totally understandable. As doors close around the globe for 2nd passports, one from a stable, democratic country only a couple hours away from the shores of the U.S. are particularly attractive.

That said, there is a lot of confusion about exactly how the process works. The purpose of this article is to explain what programs are available, what costs are associated with participating in those programs (legal, government administrative costs), and what the timeline to issuance of the passport can be.

The shortest process, by the time you have delays in government acceptance and mandated wait times, etc, is about 24 months, realistically. The longest is about 8 or 9 years if you go through slow naturalization process. There are several options in between.

The good news for those of you who do not want to actually live in the DR full time throughout the residency and citizenship process…. You don’t have to. You can come over (even on your trip down for the DYD tour with some advance planning) and start the process. You will need to bring some documents with you and meet with the attorneys while you are down here so they can give you a clear idea of exactly what will happen, and when. Then, when your residency (provisional or permanent) is approved you will need to be in the country again for a few days, in the capital, in person to get your government ID card (cedula) and to start the clock running. Depending on the residency path you take, you may need to be more actively involved in the DR, and many of you will want to move down during this time to get your home away from home established.

But before I get into the various residency programs, I need to tell you what is not available in the DR. There is no legal PURE economic passport program where you just pay a lump sum of money up front and have them hand you a passport. There are a few places in the world that do that… with the cost running up to $350,000 out of pocket to make it happen. Those passports tend to have somewhat questionable value, but they are certainly for sale in some countries. Not in the DR though. They actually care about who they issue citizenship and passports to and make you jump through some hoops and clear various screening.

Request your FREE Dominican Republic Residency, Citizenship and Passport Guide by clicking on the image below.

Dominican Republic Passport and Residency

OK, now the various residency programs that can lead to an application for citizenship and a 2nd passport.
INVESTOR RESIDENCY

I’ll talk about the fastest way first, since everyone wants fast. The fastest way is what they call their Investor Residency program. First, understand the purpose of this program. This accelerated path is to encourage expats to bring industry and jobs to the DR. In the Investor Residency program you have the opportunity to apply for immediate permanent residency, and then, after 6 months of permanent residency, to apply for citizenship and a passport. All told, with waiting periods, government approvals and so forth we would estimate about 24 months to finalize the process. Could be a little quicker, or I suppose a little slower given who is working your case through the bureaucracy. The biggest catch to this program is that it requires a rather substantial investment in a Dominican Republic corporation (could be your corporation of course) and the corporation is supposed to be engaged in some form of business. Simply purchasing a residence to live in would not qualify you under this program.

But let’s think out of the box a little. You very well may be able to qualify your corporation if you purchase farm land and operate a farm. A lot of crops grow pretty passively here with very little effort and there is always an abundance of farm workers for as little as $12.50 per long hot day. Or, another idea. What about a small guest house, hotel or Bed and Breakfast. We know of some properties that would be terrific for that kind of business. Or maybe a small corporation to produce something for export. As I said labor is incredibly inexpensive over here and you could probably assemble or build some high labor components and ship them back to the States or Europe at a good profit margin. Or maybe a restaurant… possibly with living quarters on the premises. You get the idea. In any event, no matter what your ideas, ALWAYS discuss them with your immigration attorney to make sure it will fly.

Now, let’s just stretch just a little farther. Let’s say you invested in that “B&Bâ€￾ and operated it as a “B&Bâ€￾ for the first two years until you get your citizenship. Once you have your citizenship and passport, there probably is nothing prohibiting you from converting that “B&Bâ€￾ into a very fine single family villa overlooking the ocean, if you should so choose. Again… we are not lawyers, of course you would want to clear it with your immigration lawyer, but I bet it would work just fine.

OK, to sum it up…. Investor Residency is the fastest, at a total time of about 24 months. I suppose with good luck and a well connected lawyer pushing it through the system, it may be possible to shave up to 6 months off the process, but count on 24 months. An investment in your own company is required…. Currently $200,000 per adult you are trying to get a passport for. But at least this is an investment in your own business and your own assets and not some payola to some government selling questionable passports.
RETIREE and RENTISTA RESIDENCY

This is the next fastest way to get to a passport. From start to finish you can expect about 3 ½ years, given the various delays in processing in the government offices. That’s 5 or 6 months to get your permanent residency (you completely skip the provisional residency), then after you have been a permanent resident for 2 years you can apply for citizenship, which will take about 12 months to process. So that totals to about 3 ½ years.

Now let’s understand the government’s motivation to let you bypass the 5 year provisional residency that is typically required before applying for a permanent residency. They want you to come, enjoy and bring a steady source of income along with you that you will spend in local stores and elsewhere in the DR. Therefore, this option requires that you have a reliable source of income that you can count on each month. For example, social security, pensions, annuities and virtually anything else you can demonstrate that gives you a steady monthly income. For the Retiree program, the current requirement is a steady monthly income of $1,500 per month plus $250 per dependent or spouse. For the Rentista program the requirement is a steady monthly income of $2,000 per month plus $250 per dependent or spouse.

While there is nothing specific in the regulations that would require you to spend a specific amount of time in the DR during this period, there is certainly an expectation that you will be bringing that $1,500 or $2,000 into the DR economy during that period. Again, exactly how or if that will be monitored closely is still yet to be seen.
NATURALIZATION RESIDENCY

This is certainly the slowest path to a 2nd passport. The full process can take 8 to 9 years. The reasons someone might choose to go this route is that it requires no income or investment. Basically under this program, you start out with a provisional residency, which must be renewed each year for a total of 5 years. Only then will you be eligible to apply for a permanent residency. After you have been a permanent resident for two years, you are eligible to apply for citizenship and a passport. Again, in total including various government delays in processing, this process will take from 8 to 9 years. If you do move to the DR and cannot meet either of the faster paths to a passport, you should still enter into the Naturalization path to gain residency status and to begin the long trek toward citizenship. You will eventually get there and be glad that you did.
SO WHAT WILL IT COST TO GET YOUR SECOND PASSPORT

There are three types of costs that you would incur if you used our attorneys. First is the legal fees, second is a national services tax that is imposed on professional fees, and third are direct costs for government fees and charges. By second passport standards, these are rather modest costs compared to many other alternatives. Other than reasonable legal fees for all the filings, coordination and followup, there are no other fees, unlike some of the services set up to “get you a passportâ€￾. There are a number of different services required, depending on which path you choose, and of course those will impact the overall cost. For example, the fastest route, the Investor Residency requires the initial residency application and the formation of a DR corporation. Since you are eligible to apply for citizenship after six months you will not have to pay for multiple years of residency renewal, saving you fees for each of those years. On the other hand, if you pursue the Retiree residency you will not need a corporation, but you will need to renew your permanent residency several times as you wait for the opportunity to apply for citizenship after two years.

A full analysis of the fees for each component are included in a separate detailed report we will forward to you if you request the package by clicking on the banner below. The package will also include step by step checklists of all the documents you will need to bring from your home country as well as any special instructions you will need to start the process. Sorry about having you register twice but it enables us to accelerate getting you the information you need as soon as possible.

Dominican Republic Passport and Residency

SUMMARY OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC PASSPORT PROCESS

Well that is the 50,000 foot view of the DR residency programs and the path to an ultimate second passport. There are many details and specific documents that are required at specific times in the process. Your immigration lawyer will lead you step by step through the process, handle translations and coordinate and accompany you to any required government meetings.

If you would like to explore the details and try to prepare yourself to meet the immigration lawyer during your DYD tour, or on a future trip down, you need to go over to the webpage we set up exactly for that purpose. We teamed up with one of the most prestigious and respected law firms in the DR to facilitate the whole residency and passport process for our people. The fees and costs noted in the chart included in the package of information we will send you are the law firm’s fees and are not marked up in any way by DRescapes.

http://www.drescapes.com/2012/10/21/dom ... clarified/
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

How about living here on 90 day visas- to go back and forth? Also, what about marriage to a Dominicana? Not everyone has 200K lying around you know. And some are too young to get annuities/ss.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

"Since you felt you needed to open your big mouth"
and in spite you still copied and pasted that whole article. Typical pompous westerner move.

Pot. Kettle. What I Called You.

The truth is right and exact hence why you used a deflection that also applies to you (i.e. "Wow are you 5?") - because western (especially American) children feel they have to be spiteful and to get "one up on ya".

Then this is why I absolve myself from anything American when I'm abroad including working for American companies abroad because everything America touches it turns into a competition at the most meticulously-cellular level.

I'm just glad I don't hear that minion greeting call (e.g. "Hey big boy" "Hey bra" "Yo playa") when I'm abroad outside of the Anglosphere...and no they do not call me "Oye mayete", "Oye moreno" or "Mira, prieto" or stupid s.hit like that abroad. Even by the most low-level maton thug in Latin America, I'm referred to as "pai", "pana", or sometimes "grandote" because I'm a big dude at 6'3" @ 270 lbs. They use that in a non-sarcastic way yet I don't mind their broken Spanish because at least I'm accessible to their women and vice-versa, they are accessible to me.
Last edited by E_Irizarry on March 30th, 2013, 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- E. Irizarry (2009)

- E. Irizarry (2012)

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I am now staying at the Ambassador Occidental. There are lots of Russians here and then, I also saw some Orthodox Jews walking around in full Jewish regalia. Amazing!

The Dominican immigration forms are written in Spanish, English, Italian and Russian. The Russian language is heard in lots of places. I was really surprised, but the trend will be the Russians will be traveling more and more as they are awash in oil money.

I saw a Russian family with lots of blond kids sitting at one table, and I asked the Dominican waiters if they knew what nationality those people were. The waitress looked at them and concluded:

Americanos!

I asked the cook what nationality he thought those Russians were:

Predictably:

Americanos!

They still can't tell.
Last edited by ladislav on March 30th, 2013, 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

ladislav wrote:I am now staying at Ambassador Occidental. There are lots of Russians here and, then I also saw Orthodox Jews walking around in full Jewish regalia. Amazing!

Dominican immigration forms are written in Spanish, English, Italian and Russian. I was really surprised but the trend will be the Russians will be traveling more and more as they are awash in oil money.

I saw a Russian family with lots of blond kids sitting at the table and I asked the Dominican waiters if they knew what nationality those people were. The first waitress looked at them and concluded:

Americanos!

I asked the cook what nationality he thought those Russians were:

Predictable:

Americanos!

The change in the Caribbean will come slow.
Better Russians then Americans frequenting these spots. The US of Gay is a livid piece of s.hit. I hope the correction can come any faster.

- E. Irizarry (2009)

- E. Irizarry (2012)

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Better Russians then Americans frequenting these spots. The US of Gay is a livid piece of s.hit. I hope the correction can come any faster.
The Russians come in families with lots and lots of kids. Its the grandparents all the way to the grandchildren. No gay traveling. And they spend big money on vacations, at restaurants and give huge tips.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Back in the USA! Crying! Watching the video of my recent past:

Some correction on my previous report. You are not automatically granted a 90 day visa. The officer may just give you 30 or 60 days at his/her discretion. As I was going out, I was interrogated a bit- where you work? do you travel a lot? they were giving me some looks. So, not all is honkey dorey. I am still not sure about how to get long tourist visas to stay there. No one seems to have conclusive answers. It did not say anything on my visa but they issued me a tourist card for 30 days and I paid $10 on it.

Does anyone know anything about 90 day visas? Please don't start the discussion on the $200K resident visas. Just the perpetual traveler visas.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

Ladislav, is it as wonderful as it looks in the video or something resembling it?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

It is but again, it offers a bird eye's view of resorts. It looks just as good down on the ground, but you can't see it all. If one day I get sick and tired of the Philippines, this is where I will go.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Wow, looks nice.

As far as the Russians go, is the DR the new Cyprus?

There used to be some Russian guys in my neighborhood, but I haven't seen them much since they lost all their money in Macau!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

xiongmao wrote:Wow, looks nice.

As far as the Russians go, is the DR the new Cyprus?

There used to be some Russian guys in my neighborhood, but I haven't seen them much since they lost all their money in Macau!
Actually, this may be the fulfillment of the Russian's tropical cum romantic dream. They always write fiction and stories about this land across the seas that is warm, that has great architecture and friendly people and how much they want to go and live there. They give it mythical names and they sing songs about it. There are cities called Zurbagan and Liss ( they are non-existent). Songs called Little Country, etc.

Very plainful, too.

They have thier own Isla Bonita yearning. Cyprus isn't it. The DR fits it to a T.