Winston's first impressions of China from the airport. Wow!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Winston
Site Admin

Winston's first impressions of China from the airport. Wow!

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I'm in Las Vegas now. It's so weird to be back here. I'm at my aunt's house in a gated large neighborhood that had two security checkpoints, one at the entrance and another at the gate. Wow, double security. lol

During my 6 hour layover in Shanghai airport, I sent this email to my friend Walt Goodridge, who is a big fan of China:

"Im at the airport in China now! In shanghai. Wow people seem really authentic here but loud and fast. The girls seem relaxed too and easygoing. The vibe is so different here.
Too bad im leaving to go to America. Im only transferring here. Wish I could stay behind and explore more of the magic. I already got a cute waitress' number. Well her qq to be exact. It's my first one. Hehe."

After that, during my transfer flight from LA to LV, this Chinese family went up to me and started asking me questions about where to go and how to get around. They couldn't speak English and could not interact with the airport staff, so I helped translate for them and tried to answer as many of their questions as I could. I then started talking to their daughter, a young woman who was also very friendly and direct. We exchanged numbers and QQ. Apparently, they were also on the flight from Shanghai but I didn't see them. We then boarded the same flight to LV and happened to be seated next to each other too. What a coincidence.

I can't believe how easygoing and direct people from China. They do seem VERY different from Taiwanese after all. They are also different in that they like to ask a lot of questions and analyze a lot and seem very curious. This Chinese woman sitting next to me during my long flight from Shanghai to LAX even told the flight attendant that one of the flaps on the wing outside was down and wondered if it was broken. lol.

So far, I exchanged contact info with two Chinese girls - one in the restaurant at the airport, and the daughter of the family asking me questions. That's not bad for just being at the airport. I'm sure in China, I could do a lot more of that.

Most amazing of all, the Chinese girls at the airport didn't seem to have the cold ice wall that Taiwanese do. I mean they look serious and uptight too. But they aren't as afraid of strangers or overly shy. There's a relaxness you don't get in Taiwan. It's hard to explain what I mean. All I can say is that interacting with them definitely feels smoother and more natural than in Taiwan. That's for sure. They also make eye contact in that if you look at them, they look at you back, which to me is a sign of friendliness, unlike the Taiwanese and Japanese way of non eye contact.

In the airport restaurant in Shanghai, I asked the waitresses if I could take their photo and they were all cool with it and relaxed about it. There wasn't the awkwardness that I would have gotten in Taiwan. Wow I'm so stoked about China! It really is different after all, like I heard, and has a different vibe that you have to experience to understand.
Last edited by Winston on April 23rd, 2013, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Ask yourself if you'd be happier in China, or in Las Vegas (Henderson).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:Ask yourself if you'd be happier in China, or in Las Vegas (Henderson).
That's a dumb question. Why are you asking it? Obviously they are good for different things. They are totally different.

Of course for meeting and dating women, China would be better. However, since there are a lot of Chinese immigrants here now, I could date Chinese girls here too. They are quite friendly to me, even in the USA, as long as they're from mainland China that is and not the rich Chinese island nations. In California, I had chances to date Chinese girls too, but I avoided them because I thought they would be nagging, bitchy and narrow like my mom. So I assumed I wouldn't get along with them. Plus I was only into white girls back then. Dating a Chinese girl felt like dating a sister. For a Chinese guy to date a Chinese girl felt like no accomplishment, only if I got a white girl would it feel like an accomplishment and glory. Also, I saw Asian women as black and white TV's, devoid of color, whereas white girls were like color TV's. lol. That's how I saw it back then. Not anymore of course. But the thing is, mainland Chinese girls have always been generally friendly and sociable with me, even in the US.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
AsiaBill
Freshman Poster

Like your quote by Harry Browne

Post by AsiaBill »

Like your quote by Harry Browne, thanks for posting it. Have FUN where ever you are; life is short so enjoy it to the MAX!!! 8) Mabuhay from Boracay!
Life is Short! Traveling and the people you meet and experiences you have "on the road" will enhance your life forever so GO FOR IT! Feel FREE to ask me Questions about living and traveling in Asia & the Philippines.
jboy
Freshman Poster

Post by jboy »

I'm considering moving bases to China next year, might do it earlier than planned.
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

This is precisely what many of us and in particular Xiongmao and I have been telling you for a long time Winston, get your a** into China quick! I hope you're only back in America for a short while.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah get your ass back here quickly!

Anyway, I have some MOMENTOUS NEWS!

Today I went to a singles party here!

Yes, I have managed to pierce the iron curtain and go along to an event that only Chinese people ever go to. It really took some hard work, but I took a friend, and we had a good afternoon outing.

Pluses: it was free. Ha ha ha in your face AFA!!! The quality of lady was A+. In fact there were more ladies than men. Also it was held to get people interested in a posh housing development, but to their credit, there was no hard sell of apartments. In fact the apartments were doing a good job of selling themselves.

Minuses: no food and just red tea to drink. I and my friend skipped lunch, and boy, did we regret it! Also it was so hot I was sweating like crazy which rather put girls off I guess! Not much I can do about this I guess, I'm just not designed for this climate.

Sadly, despite there being 150+ ladies there, nobody really caught my eye, and I ended up getting the phone numbers of more men than ladies. And my female friend chatted to more women than men!

I should have chatted to more ladies, but I've been doing very well with online dating lately, and I have at least half a dozen ladies I need to schedule dates with. Also it must be borne in mind that it was pretty unusual, if not unique for a foreigner to be at this kind of event.

Still, my details got circulated and it is now known I'm on the lookout for a lady. Who knows what will come of it.

The good thing is that I've now attended one, and I know what to expect. My other friend is far more outgoing and if I take her then I'm sure I'll be able to join in a bit more.

Winston would be a hit at one of these events. He is so much more confident than the Chinese guys that he will have no hesitation in chatting to the girls. Also my Mandarin is still not good enough, but my friend remarked that I'm improving a lot.

As to the ladies, they were mostly in the 25-40 age range, a few younger, a few older. Some spoke English, and all were middle-upper class. They really dressed up, and much more than the men. It felt a bit like a wedding in fact.

I took a few photos, I might post them sometime.

It was interesting to see what kind of guys the ladies were interested in. Well they were quite variable. They had a kind of dating game like you see on the TV where the guy chats to 7 girls and they get to ditch or date.

Anyway, if any of you guys like the sound of this, then get your ass over here. You're going to have to stay for a year or more if you want to do this kind of thing though.

Oh, I'll also add that if that wasn't exciting enough...

The coach back from the development got stuck in traffic, and some of us decided to get off and walk to the metro station.

So my friend and I walk through the traffic and at one point I get my umbrella caught on the roof of a moving bus... yikes. I should add at this point that this all took place in a thunderstorm!!!!

Anyway, we find a row of restaurants and decide to go and eat (since there was no food at the event). Well in the rush to get out of the rain I jump up to a flowerbed and end up standing in wet cement!!!!

So we sheltered for a while in a Pizza restaurant (great Pizza btw), and make our way back to the metro station. Well this is rather hard as by this stage a lot of pedestrian crossings are under 3 inches of water which rather limits our choice of route.

Eventually we reach Guangzhou East bus station and there's a scrum to board the bus to Baiyun. Alas it's the notorious 841 bus, which is the busiest bus I've ever seen here. We're lucky - we have seats. The bus gets so busy that a lot of passengers can only board from the back set of doors. At one stage the doors wouldn't even close.

I couldn't practice my Mandarin listening, as everyone talking (sorry, yelling) on the bus was speaking Cantonese.

Now I'm relaxing with some cold Tsingtao.

This is why foreigners love this great city, despite the problems!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Yo Winston, you definitely need to spend some time on the way back in China. You will love this place and will feel much more in your element than in Taiwan for damn sure! And I'd say join XM in Guangzhou as it's a great city, a stone's throw away from one of the greatest cities on the planet, Hong Kong! I will be there from the fall too so would be fun to have you there!

Cheers!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jacaré wrote:Yo Winston, you definitely need to spend some time on the way back in China. You will love this place and will feel much more in your element than in Taiwan for damn sure! And I'd say join XM in Guangzhou as it's a great city, a stone's throw away from one of the greatest cities on the planet, Hong Kong! I will be there from the fall too so would be fun to have you there!

Cheers!
Thanks. No kidding. I forgot to mention something else too. In China people do seem to make eye contact. If you look at a girl, she will look back at you too, which to me is a sign of friendliness and openness, compared to Taiwan and Japan at least. So in that regard, I would feel more in my element for sure.

Yeah XM and I have been corresponding privately about China. He's really inspired me. He and I should make a great team. I can help him with his language barrier and in approaching girls, and he can introduce me to these speed dating events. lol

Why is Hong Kong a fun city? Everyone says it's closed and snobby and hard to meet people. What do you like about it? Isn't it the same as Taiwan and Singapore?

This is a bit hard to explain, but I've realized that Chinese women can fulfill you in a way that Filipinas can't. Both can soothe you if they are sweet and feminine. However, a Chinese woman has deeper emotions and so there is a deeper connection with them, especially when you are speaking the same language. It's hard to explain what I mean. Maybe some of you know what I'm talking about. But you just don't get that deep connection with Filipinas. Their emotions and inner self just aren't that deep, even though they have a pleasant easygoing simple personality.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw, this is the music I imagine playing when I enter China for the first time and marvel at the exotic lands around me. lol

It's called "Heaven and Earth" by Kitaro, and was featured in the movie "Heaven and Earth" directed by Oliver Stone. But it would fit very well with scenes of China in the background too.

Here is a beautiful Chinese song sung by a pretty Chinese female voice with Chinese landscapes and Chinese girls wearing traditional attire in the background. Can you imagine arriving in China for the first time and seeing all the scenes in this video? lol

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, Winston and I could have a great time here. Anyone else is welcome to join us!

I'm thinking of making some changes to my current approach though. I want to live in a trendier district. That would make it easier to meet girls. Also Chinese furniture is messing up my back, I need to sit on furniture designed for western couch potatoes.

Also now I have a job I need a better environment for working.

I'm also thinking of ditching the studying Mandarin at University as it's a complete waste of time and money. My tones aren't bad now, so I just need to cram vocabulary. I'm better off learning from Rosetta Stone/Pimsleur, then going out and dating women who don't speak any English.

I might go to Shenzhen for a few days. I've got a lady there who wants to meet me and she's kinda hot. Well she only has one photo on her CLL profile so who knows. Also she's Sichuan, and I never met a Sichuan girl before. I heard they are the most beautiful in China. And she promised me to introduce me to her friends if it doesn't work out between us! I love girls like that.

While I'm there I'll have a nose around Shenzhen. It's cleaner than Guangzhou and there are a lot of single professional ladies there. On the downside, like many other border towns it attracts crime.

I've also got word of a weekly speed dating event here in Guangzhou. Actually there's probably this kind of event running every single day here, but it's just so hard to find out about them because most Chinese people have no interest in news or in reading about stuff going on in their neighborhoods.

The good thing about these events though is that girls love going to them (much more so than guys), and the events regularly attract hundreds of people. I heard about one dating event here that had 500 participants!

Finally there was a girl at the dating party who was wearing a white traditional dress and carrying a parasol. Wow, she was incredible and I was just stunned to see a girl like that at a singles party. That is why Winston must come here!
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw Jacare,
How do you explain the threads on here that claim that China is worse than the US for dating? Wtf is up with threads like that? How do you explain them?

Xiongmao,
Maybe you can post photos from these speed dating events that you go to? How do you find out about them? Do the women make eye contact with you there? Do you feel an approachable vibe from them? Are you able to chat them up easily and ask for their number or QQ?

celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

This kind of stuff has been reported numerous times by numerous people. Heck Xiongmao alone practically reports daily from China.

And as a Chinese, it's pretty awful that you have no awareness of this, although i can understand somewhat, since most Taiwanese i know seem to bad mouth mainlanders. One TW girl actually asked me why i was going there.

But it's been reported endlessly here that China is a great place to meet women.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yes I'll post some photos some time. This was very much a covert operation though - here it's hard work for foreigners to live in certain buildings/go to certain events and you have to pull some strings to make things happen. Or have a pushy friend who won't take no for an answer. Lol.

Women here are approachable, but they'll hardly ever approach you unless you go to a bar where ladies go to meet foreigners.

Chinese women tend to be quite shy, and also they don't often speak English.

Getting phone numbers here is dead easy - nobody has any concept of privacy!

If I needed more ladies to meet, I'd hang out in a metro exit with a big map and wait for a cute girl to ask me if I'm lost. But as it is, ladies are joining online dating sites faster than I can get around to meeting them.

Also now I've been to a dating event, I now realise that the quality of lady I'm meeting through dating sites is pretty good.

I didn't interact much at the dating event, it was very much a learning exercise. The hottest girl there got hit on quite a bit, but it was obvious that she wasn't interested in guys who weren't hot enough for her.

Well actually I was the same, a guy wanted me to talk to a girl (his daughter perhaps?), but she was a 6 and I wasn't interested.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Winston,
While my personal experience in China was very short (1 week), I still had a blast there and met 10 non pro women who I would say, at least 8 of them were interested in dating me. I also met a Canadian guy teaching there and he told me and showed me how easy it is to approach and get women in GZ and throughout China. While riding the metro during rush hour in GZ, he showed me how to open those sexy, fashionable office ladies on the way home to the office. A simple "hello" was all it took for him to open a few of those girls. Another thing that makes those girls in China so easy to approach and get is that the Chinese men are all p***y and will never approach a woman, while sober! So the Chinese women LOVE a confident and alpha man who approaches them! For you Winston, I feel it would be easy to get quality women there since you already speak the language which puts you ahead of others who are trying to approach them. You'd just need to get your shit together and have a valid reason to be in China as that's the first thing they'll ask you. So if you tell them you have a business or running your business, which won't be lying after all as you have an online biz, so that can only play in your favor. In all honesty, after really thinking about it, I can only see you having a blast there Winston and finally meet the intelligent, fashionable, beautiful Chinese women that you've been drooling about all your life.

I can't really comment as to why those guys are bombing in China. From what I've seen and experienced myself while in China, it's been quite the opposite. But it might be different with each guy depending on their attitude, looks, financial means, dress sense and so on and so forth.

Hope this helps!

Winston wrote:Btw Jacare,
How do you explain the threads on here that claim that China is worse than the US for dating? Wtf is up with threads like that? How do you explain them?