Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.
MGuy goes to Philippines. I am Fil-Am so this is my perspective.
This city is in boom times baby.
The amount of white guys with Filipinas is at epidemic proportions. If you are white over 40 with a Filipina then prepared to be stereotyped. This is business. Yes, Filipinas want your money first, then your love -- tough pill to swallow but swallow it anyways.
You can roughly divide the society to
A (oligarchs) .05%
B (upper middle class/non-money sensitive) 10%
C (Blue collars/shop clerks/low trade) 49.95%
D (Subsistence) 40%
You will most prob date the C level if you are over 30. The Bs have investments which when pooled solidifies their B status. Big Money revolves in Manila but it does not trickle down.
The foreign novelty is dead, especially in Metro Manila (Fort or Makati).
If you are Filipino-American you will get first dibs, if you are Fil-Am with good looks you will obliterate it. If you are Asian-American you will do very well. If you are white guy younger than 35 you will do well. If you are over 40 and white, they will get your money and wink at each other while they empty your wallet with meals and shopping. If you are over 40 and white, it is still a good deal but expect gold diggers. Only younger guys 30 and below can date Bs (see chart).
Manila is rather expensive. Average salary for call centers would be at P30K. I was offered at P60K. Monthly lodging could be had for 15k (condo apartment studio). If you are white and not street smart do not f**k around here at night or get lost. Manila is a "bruja", an unruly witch which can only be tamed to a comfortable level with money. You can choose to live dirt poor here, but don't push it and only settle where foreigners are (i say this having traveled extensively in third world lat-am).
Expect to be culture shocked. How these peeps can emanate such a helpful/joyful aura when their fellow peeps are dying of starvation defies explanation. An ancient devil lives here, so prepare to dance with it. Filipino males (some) are notorious womanizers, but Filipinas keep falling for them anyways. Expect your Filipina to have gone through the alpha Filipino circuit before deciding to go foreign. Some Filipinas make their career to get a foreigner (you do not want to deal with these types). Maybe i'll write a guide on how to spot these.
I did not understand how some of the foreigners go for ugly Filipinas (on average as per population), but I think it boils down to economics. The pretty ones goes to neighborhood player early on, the smarter ones make money for themselves, leaving the rejected or chicken heads to zoom past their primes and into desperation. But don't worry - the population is still unmanageable leaving surplus females available for export -- and also they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure there are provincial types, but they are not to my liking.. they also have this provincial mentality which irks us city folks.
I probably would skip this city unless it clicks with your vibe. I am not talking about prostitutes here, I am talking about normal "non-pros". Money and status is king here, just like everywhere else. I will only date 1 in 10 of females in this population based on looks, I consider my taste average.
This is why I hate being specific. There are a few websites that have loose lips sinking ships. Western/westernized men are unmitigated fools in running their mouths. PUA's are a bunch of nerds and self-disheveled of a socialpathetic personality disorder.
See at least when I interpolate PUA methodology, I typically don't leave any bridges burnt unlike most PUA's that do :-/
Maybe it's a good thing this country is in a recession so it'll stunt simps and manginas from furthering the feminist agenda worldwide of hypermasculinity and hyperSIMPertry.
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB
Manila is the last place in Phils I'd visit for all the aforementioned reasons. Best to stick with educated girls from Mindinao. For one thing, they tend to be better looking than the girls up north (more Spanish blood) and they are not as jaded.
Sexy women are generally the most demanding and the least trustworthy, occasionally you'll find one that does not fit this stereotype. I had lots of Filipinas that were younger and sexier than my wife chase me but I chose her because she was the easiest to get along with. If your a player looks will be your top criteria because you don't plan on staying with her long.
I'll also add that single Filipinas with no kids over the age of thirty usually have issues and should be avoided.
1. I'm not sure there has ever been any foreign/white novelty with the higher classes - A, B and perhaps part of C. Dig into the deep past, talk to people including older folks. Phils. relative position in Asia has gone done, not up. But that trend might finally be reversing. There's a long debate on it's economic future in another thread. Throughout Asia, the highest classes were not the ones you would typically see with white guys in decades past cus that just seems to be the nature of the white guy overseas - to go for the easy sluts and whores instead of investing what it might take to go for the relatively monied or so called higher classes.
2. Beauty/absolute sex appeal and class may be correlated, even strongly. But it's far from absolute. I've met some average and even below average looking women who are probably solidly in your B category based on their family situation and income (family owning houses and condos in Global City (Fort) / Makati / Ortigas plus various assets elsewhere), educated at top uni and earning a salary over 70 K as a marketing executive in western company or even as law trainee in mid-20s. These gals are not that picky. They may not date white grandpa. But your hard rules don't hold for many of them. OTH, C class, especially upper end, will have a percentage of very attractive gals. Some are even of mixed blood and/or have significant Spanish and/or Chinese heritage.
3. Many of the call center girls make decent incomes even if they don't make it into B. I've seen some who are free agent types and pull in over 60K and the regular ones are often making 20-30K. They often seem to be into the party lifestyle and fun. Many are not hard to date for foreigners, even over 30 or even 40.
4. I met a very pretty and tall (albeit chubby) young TV show host who lost her cherry to a west African basketball player. I met a couple of other B or high C gals who had extended relationships with black or African guys. Another girl I met who earns 30 K at Smart and used to make a lot more in real estate had a boyfriend from Armenia for 3 years who she was supporting. I'm seeing signs that new niche classes of people are emerging (who don't neatly into any of the pigeonholes we create) similar to what happened in Bangkok a decade or so ago. These are anecdotes but ones I doubt you could find here 10 years ago. This place is changing and my bet is no matter what the naysayers forecast, the percentage of young people with middle class type of money (non-desperate types) has grown and will continue to grow just as it has in other Asian countries. Eventually, some of this wealth may even trickle down into the larger cities of the provinces and create a new class of people in those areas as well. If enough foreigners (Koreans, Americans, and others) flock this place, wealth does get slowly transferred.
5. You find 1 in 10 datable (non hoes in Metro Manila)? I would put that number much lower. Most Pinays, even B class and rich class seem to have very unfortunate genetics when compared to NE Asians (absolute things like skin quality, height, facial features, body proportions, speed of aging, etc). But they often make up for it in other ways. One thing is for sure IMO. Metro Manila/Pampanga/certain areas of Luzon seems to beat the pants off girls from other cities and areas of the country. The real physical beauty is concentrated up around the capital. And things seem to be improving in that regard. I joined the Earth Day Run last weekend and many of the participants looked quite attractive, athletic, and healthy.
6. White guys young and old, attractive and ugly, just tend to pair with what u and I consider unattractive or worse. I think it often boils down to personal choice, not just desperation. I've gone out with certain white guys and the gals that catch their eyes are invisible to me for the most part. They on the other hand don't really seem to appreciate the gals I like. Last Sunday, after my early morning race, I went with a friend to Chinatown and had some fun just talking to various people around there. He lives here and just got a kick out of joking around and pulling numbers from the various local shop attendants who were pretty much invisible to my eyes. But occasionally, we would see what I consider cute Chinese girls from Fujian Province and only then would I warm up to the game and wanna chat. These girls were taller, had the light skin you would expect, and would be considered much more attractive to the eyes of most Asian men I believe. Yet these girls too were not making much money, just somewhat better than their local counterparts. They were still poor.
7. Formulas, rules, and generalizations can be helpful. But one shouldn't let them become what certain PUAs call limiting beliefs. Come, check-it out, and do your best to enjoy. Results will vary according not just to how the individual fits into your framework but also according to his attitude, spirit, and luck.
And let's not forget provincial Cebu
And usually the issue is they aren't truly single and/or do have kids. Strong sex drive + no divorce + poor use of contraception = few 30+ girls who are single and childless.
But the good news is that there are plenty under 30 who are.
Hi Dave! Definitely agreed
The Cs are chicken heads with low intelligence; I say this because most have limited education so their critical reasoning is severely underdeveloped. I was surprised by how low their mental faculty was, which saddened me but that is life. All you really need to get a C (which most foreigners have) is money, which at times is denoted by the color of your skin.
For true love, you have Bs. These are the types who aren't desperate so you can see them eye-to-eye. They will have education, so they will be able to reason with you. They will most likely support you financially if need be, enough said. To get the Bs, you have to understand Filipino culture. From the inside, dating a foreigner who is passing by is a no-no.. this is still a traditional culture and respect and social standing is given priority. The thing is, since the Cs are hooking up with foreigners, the Bs are overly aware that people might assume they are Cs if they hookup with the wrong foreigner -- toxic is the word for a girl who is known for dating foreigners another word is "pokpok" which is a whore gold-digger. Nothing against being foreigners, but the Bs have to look after their reputation as well.
There are bars that Bs avoid that are known for Cs. In this fragmented country, you must know where to hang out and who to hang out. This can only be achieved by a long term stay.
The way I see it, the only way to get a B is through long term stay. Once established, you must make friends. Friendship is built through time. Once you have friends that are solid, they will make sure that you are hooked up -- no effort necessary! This is why long term stay is necessary. The beauty of this for you foreigners, is that once you have penetrated the circle, then you will have dibs on the best of the circle because of exoticness.
I'm tired. More questions PM me.
For my 1 in 10 number, this is actually taking Manila as a whole. If I am in the fort strip then the number goes up up to 1 in 5. Alabang (my town) it goes up to 2 in 5. Check out Aracama in fort, thats where Bs and As are. Notice that you will have no or very little foreigners in that joint.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."
Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?
This is Manila I am talking about. Ain't no place like Manila brother. Mindanao girls are awesome, but nothing beats a cosmopolitan Manila girl. You have all the good qualities plus more if you hit it right.
Well it's all a matter of taste I guess. IMO, 1 in 10 is a number u get in certain areas of urban Brazil but nowhere in Phils. And 2 in 5? Perhaps certain pockets of Ukraine or Russia. Generally, in most countries and areas of the world, most people, look positively average. Cus that's what most of us are lol. To my eyes, guys in Phils tend to be more physically attractive in international context than women, opposite of NE Asia. Filipinas in general are near the bottom of nationality/ethnicity looks totem pole. But they are able to make up for that in other ways.
What's so special about Alabang? I've been there a couple times and while it's clearly a well-off area, I didn't see a higher concentration of beautiful people than other more prosperous areas such as Rockwell or Fort.
I think I've seen a decent sample of both by now. Most of the really attractive and stunning ones are up in Metro Manila. U can find a fair share of cute, attractive, or pleasant girls in certain provincial areas. But so far, I haven't seen anything which can squarely come close to comparing with the opportunities up in the capital.
BTW, I am currently in Zamboanga City. This city does seem to have a slightly higher concentration of attractive female faces than I've seen in other areas of Mindanao and Visayas so far. But a lot more are Muslim too tho the majority in city proper are still Catholic I believe. Some of the Muslim gals look quite cute in spite of their dress but from what I gather, it's more trouble than it's worth to get serious with them. Also, I met a dual national (Japan and Phils) gal down here who looks completely Japanese but seems to have provincial Phils mentality even tho she speaks fluent Japanese and lived some years in her early teens in Japan. She's tall, young and very attractive.
Anyway, I suppose there are gems about everywhere but Zamooanga would be a tough place to stay long term given the standard of living (the still sell 1960s style US razors and razor blades lol in main department stores) and the danger factor for westerners.
As Rock says it's all personal taste I guess. Even if you can find attractive girls there (and I agree with Pete that they are better elsewhere) you have to be - in Manila! I've been there a few times and couldn't wait to leave. But if a guy wants clubs and general night life - it does have that. And there is more money in Manila - but that's pretty relative - it still is poor by any Western standard.
So while I think your report is fairly accurate, it's just not relevant for me. An overcrowded, dirty, polluted city with insane traffic is not my idea of a fun time. But again that's personal taste and possibly generational. I loved NYC in my youth, but no longer for similar reasons.
For me, I prefer smaller cities and provincial areas. Even Cebu City is more than I like after I've been there a few days.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest