My Bangkok, Thailand Trip

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

My Bangkok, Thailand Trip

Post by xiongmao »

Hi this is Xiongmao reporting from Bangkok, Thailand!

I had originally decided to stay in China for another three weeks or so. But in the course of a single weekend a whole host of things came to a head, and I baled.

I have a long history of losing my mind in Guangzhou. Maybe I should have hung on in there for a little longer. But the idea of living in a democracy is much more appealing. Facebook works here, you can buy loads of English books and there are even English language newspapers.

I've only had a quick look round Bangkok, but I like a lot of what I see.

First impressions are that it's much cleaner than China, and much more friendly. Cars don't seem to have horns here. And there are less dangers, like those nightmare cyclists cycling the wrong way. It's still crowded, but not as insanely overcrowded as Guangzhou.

The food is much more varied here. Thai food looks much better than Chinese. And you don't seem to need to pick bones, stones and other rubbish out of your food here!

On the way from the airport the city looked more like Tokyo than anywhere else I've been so far. It looks nothing like China, that's for sure.

On the downside, it's definitely more expensive here than in Guangzhou. And I'm here in the rainy season so the weather can be a bit crazy.

Also we Brits don't appear to send our best and our brightest here. So I guess any younger and/or smart guys who come here will be huge hits on the local dating scene!

As for what Thailand has to offer... There's plenty of P4P here but I want to stay away from that and work on my game so I can find sexy beautiful women from real life. While sex is popular here, a lot of the foreigners here just like sitting in bars talking to women.

One thing that's surprised me is that tall Thai ladies are quite common.

While I think China has the most beautiful women on average, there are some absolutely stunning women here. Or are they women - who knows? People who've been here are right - the a few of the ladyboys are some of the most perfect women you will ever see!

I'm under no illusions about Thai women though. Back in 2009 I spent a whole month just reading Stickman Bangkok's readers submissions. And my uncle's had a few Thai gf's, but every time he goes back to the UK his women find new guys who can love them long time (well as long as they're in Thailand anyway).

Back to the present, and I met Rock and Falcon last night. We grabbed a beer and talked about all kinds of stuff. They certainly gave me a lot to think about.

While Rock and I waited for Falcon, we sat in the lobby of the Nana hotel. It was just great seeing guys walking in with all kinds of girls.

Also we indulged in a bit of sex tourism tourism - people watching is great here. I really do want to try and see what Chinese tourists do here.

I'll try and post some photos from the places I visit (well not THOSE kind of places). But as Rock says, everything has already been photographed here or written about. Even the "guy goes to Thai jail" niche is saturated by the looks of what's on offer in the bookstore! I've not really seen many people walking round with cameras anyway. It really feels like what goes on in Bangkok stays in Bangkok :oops: .

If anyone else is here then it would be great to meet! I could see myself staying here for a year or so. I'll have a rummage around Google and see what options there are for me to work or study here. I think you'd have to have some sort of structure to your life here, or you'd end up sitting in a bar all day and night.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Yes, all 3 of us did meet up! Rock, Xiongmao, and Falcon triple party. :D We do look physically different from each other, but are quite like-minded in many ways. Intellectual, (over-)educated, not much luck in our home countries, love for exploring, soft (not overly aggressive) personalities, etc. :wink: I sure we'll all keep touch in touch with each other for quite a while.

We had some great Chang beer together too. Wish we could find a place in Bangkok with creamy, hoppy European ale, like the one I had at an expat bar in Guangzhou with Xiongmao!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Horray - hotel wifi has been repaired!

OK so last night Falcon and I met Everdred. It's nice to meet the other forum members so now we know who's real.

Everdred is very smart indeed but he's not a prolific poster here. Definitely quality over quantity. Seek out his older posts, they're great.

I don't want to post too much about what we did. I get the general feeling here that what goes on in Thailand stays in Thailand.

Still, we had a suitably cultured evening for three over-educated Mandarin speaking Western guys!

We explored some of the Chinese culture that Bangkok has to offer. Our experiences meeting Chinese men from the mainland sort of confirmed my observations that they're somewhat less cultured than other Asian men*, especially those from Korea, HK or Japan. And they also like young girls, whereas we Western guys have a more refined taste.

*That's putting it politely.

Well anyway we drank overpriced beer, ate some indifferent jiaozi, and (for the second time this month!) I fell in love with a beautiful white legged Chinese woman with a complicated past.

I kind of regret not dating many Chinese MILF's when I was back in Guangzhou. But they don't often speak English, and I need a lot more work on my Mandarin.

We also met some Chinese ladies from Burma/Myanmar. They were fairly dark skinned (darker than your average Cantonese) and also fairly tall.

I also met Rock yesterday before he left for the airport. We sat in Subway for a while and just chatted. It's interesting swapping stories of how to finance living abroad. There are definitely more options than just teaching English. And everyone is interested in making money online and stuff. But maybe the more obvious thing is staring us in the face - franchising.

Just think of the opportunities of opening McDonalds or Subway franchises in Burma for example!
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Oh, forgot to mention Thai ladies!

Well I've not dated any yet, but I'm continuing to trawl Thai Love Links.

The quantity of ladies on there is pretty impressive, so there's a lot of choice.

As far as quality - there are some good ladies on there. One thing that's surprised me is that they're taller than I expected. Many ladies are 5' 5" or 5' 6", whereas I tended to date petite(ish) 5' 3" ladies in China.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Yes, Xiongmao, Everdred, and I did indeed have a great time!

The mainland Chinese men we saw last night were your typical crude country bumpkins who somehow ended up with a lot of money. All the loud talking, smoking, and impoliteness not only put us off, but also the Chinese from Burma and Thailand.

The lady that Xiongmao talked to was a middle-class, middle-aged woman in her late 30's from Hangzhou, a large city on the eastern Chinese coast near Shanghai. I was happy to serve as an intermediary, helping to get the two of them to feel comfortable with each other, and translating when necessary. She really looks like one of those ladies that Xiongmao was used to dating in Guangzhou, except perhaps a bit older. She was indeed incredibly open, friendly, and pleasant to talk to, as Winston has been claiming.

We talked to some younger Chinese women in their 20's as well, but got ignored. The older ones are much more mature and don't play as much games or stick to their smartphones as much. :D
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yes I thought the 19yo Chinese girls were really rude, there was no eye contact at all! Winston would have hated it!

Dare I say it but that older Chinese woman was hotter than any of the women I dated in China. Darn it. Personally I think she was from an upper class family but had fallen upon hard times. It happens with English women in London sometimes - socialite ladies often don't have much to fall back on once they reach 30 and have a child to look after.

I should have talked to the lady a bit more last night but those obnoxious Chinese guys were so loud they ruined it all. That KTV place was a bit strange, usually the men go off to little booths and we're spared their terrible singing!

I had a walk earlier to get some lunch. It's fun walking past the bars packed with old foreigners - often the Thai women they're chatting to will give me a quick glance as if to say they'd rather be talking to a younger guy.

There are plenty of good looking ladies walking around. The older Thai ladies tend to remind me of Imelda Marcos in her older prime years.

Younger Thai girls can be a lot of fun, much more so than your average Chinese girl. There were a couple of Thais back at my University in China and they barely made it to class each day. Presumably they'd been partying hard some place. Well they were very naughty minxes, but they would have been a lot more fun to date than the majority of the Chinese girls in the place.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

That 38-year-old Hangzhou lady was indeed quite good-looking, considering her age too! Everdred even told her that she looks like a "model." :wink: Her personality was what made her even warmer and more attractive. I think Winston would find her comparable to Ling Ling.

She was quite impressed by Xiongmao's politeness, advanced degrees, and personality. Plus, she told us that she was really glad to be able to have a break from those crude middle-aged mainland Chinese guys who keep pressuring their dates to drink a lot of alcohol and don't respect them well.

Simply being an average well-mannered nice guy (which equals zero dates in the West) will greatly impress a lot of ladies overseas!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

10 new interests on my TLL account since I last logged in an hour ago. Looks like I need to stay here for more than a fortnight to sort through that lot, or find a secretary or something.

I've made contact with the Chinese KTV lady. Trust me to fall in love with a femme fatale.

Meeting Falcon and Everdred tomorrow so hopefully twin-wingmen should be able to find me a more suitable Chinese lady here!

Was on my own for today so I did a bit more walking around Bangkok.

I know mongers have a reputation for choosing ugly Thai women, but it's not always the case. I've actually seen a few old guys with hot Thai women I'd be interested in dating.

I've seen a few other sights, like a ladyboy with what must have been a G cup chest!

Enjoying the food here, and I wonder why anyone rates Chinese food as being any good. Thai food is much better.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

xiongmao wrote:Meeting Falcon and Everdred tomorrow so hopefully twin-wingmen should be able to find me a more suitable Chinese lady here
If Winston comes over here, we'll make that triple! :D
xiongmao wrote:I know mongers have a reputation for choosing ugly Thai women, but it's not always the case. I've actually seen a few old guys with hot Thai women I'd be interested in dating.
Many of the mongers themselves are overwhelmingly the hairy, red-faced, rambunctious, 50-something unemployed Europeans and Australians who wear sleazy muscle shirts and shorts. All three of us are really quite the polar opposites of that type. True, some of the women they date are hot-looking at first sight, but they rarely get into high-quality relationships with a lot of mutual understanding. Dating a woman with an excellent personality is much more important, as we've seen with the rude 20-year-old Chinese vixens vs. the 38-year-old elegant lady with a bubbly, charming personality!

See y'all tomorrow. :P
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Falcon wrote:
xiongmao wrote:Meeting Falcon and Everdred tomorrow so hopefully twin-wingmen should be able to find me a more suitable Chinese lady here
If Winston comes over here, we'll make that triple! :D
xiongmao wrote:I know mongers have a reputation for choosing ugly Thai women, but it's not always the case. I've actually seen a few old guys with hot Thai women I'd be interested in dating.
Many of the mongers themselves are overwhelmingly the hairy, red-faced, rambunctious, 50-something unemployed Europeans and Australians who wear sleazy muscle shirts and shorts. All three of us are really quite the polar opposites of that type. True, some of the women they date are hot-looking at first sight, but they rarely get into high-quality relationships with a lot of mutual understanding. Dating a woman with an excellent personality is much more important, as we've seen with the rude 20-year-old Chinese vixens vs. the 38-year-old elegant lady with a bubbly, charming personality!

See y'all tomorrow. :P
Smartphones in China. I learned something new today *sigh to westernization influence*
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

A little class goes a long way in Asia. You won't get anywhere as a loud-mouth who spews profanities and dresses like a bum when you should be looking spiffy.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
Smartphones in China. I learned something new today *sigh to westernization influence*
Actually, if a straw poll of the ladies I've dated this year is anything to go by then Apple ought to be worried. I can't recall ever dating a lady with an iPhone this year. There's a couple of brands of Chinese iPhone that are becoming *VERY* popular. Can't remember what they are, they're not widely seen outside China. But I guess they're 40% of the cost of an iPhone and they still have QQ, WeChat etc. etc. on them.

I must chat to my Chinese lady later but I'm a bit sleepy due to a so-so sleep. Some P4P went wrong for one of the guests and there was much feet stomping and tears at 4am :roll: .
Everdred
Freshman Poster

Post by Everdred »

It's definitely been good meeting up with Falcon and Xiongmao over the last week. It's always nice to put a face with a username (rather than an avatar). I find myself often calling them by their Happier Abroad usernames, rather than their actual names. We all have different kinds of careers going on, but we seem to largely share the same philiosophies. They both seem like intelligent, well-mannered guys. We all speak varying levels of Mandarin, and we all seem to be primarily interested in Chinese-blooded women. Among the three of us, we've covered quite a bit of China, so we all have stories to tell respective to where in China we've been. I also know a decent amount of Chinese mainlanders here in Bangkok, so I've been trying to introduce them to the people I know. When we're out and about, I feel like we're more in China than in Thailand. The three of us are all here in Bangkok, but we all seem to have China on on our minds. Very ironic indeed. I can tell Xiongmao has an obsession with Chinese women, and I certainly don't blame him for that. He did express that Guangzhou is tough place for a foreigner to live, and that Bangkok already seems much more livable to him. My advice to him is to find a mainland Chinese woman while living here in Bangkok. Trust me Xiongmao, it can be done, espeically if you know where to look. :wink:

There's a few other Happier Abroad posters out there that also live in Bangkok, and I welcome them to join me or us (Falcon and Xiongmao) any day. It's much more interesting reading someone's posts once you've met them. So far, none of the people I've met from this forum seemed like the stereotypical deadbeat foreigners you tend to run into in Thailand. It seems like people I know are always passing through Bangkok. I didn't meet a single person I knew in the 2.5 years I lived in Dalian. However, here in Bangkok I've already met countless people I knew from back in the United States, some from back in Dalian, and of course a few people from this forum. Bangkok is definitely a popular hub in Asia. If any of you other posters out there are passing through Bangkok, feel free to send me a PM, and I can show you around. I'll probably be in Bangkok at least two or three more years before moving on to Country 'D.' As long as I'm here, the offer's on the table.

I'm aware I have quite a low post count, but I definitely go for quality over quantity. That's one of my philosophies in life. If I don't feel like I have something useful to contribute, then I simply don't post. I'm an introvert, so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't want to just post heresay. I prefer post based on my own personal experiences, rather than on what I've read about someone else's experiences. I also don't like to dwell solely on women in foreign countries, because they're just one of many aspects to consider. Most of this forum's information is heavily weighted towards the women topic. Regardless of my low post count, I can assure you that I'm an active reader of this forum, and I usually check my unread posts about two to three times a day. There's also quite a few other forums I frequent, most of which focus on one specific country. Happier Abroad is probably my favorite of them all, simply because it focuses on the world, rather than one specific country or region. The downside Of Happier Abroad is I probably only find maybe one out of ten posts on here to be interesting.

I've been considering to make a large thread that compares Dalian to Bangkok, but Falcon has already made this thread below,

Thai society (also compared to Chinese)

so I'm not sure if it'll be worth my effort. I also think that may be like comparing apples to oranges. I plan to visit China again soon, as well as go to Malaysia for the first time, so I'll likely contribute some trip reports concerning those trips. I definitely have some good ideas for my future posts, but I'm just not sure if I'll ever get around to writing them...
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Thanks Everdred!

Well my Chinese lady wasn't very talkative on QQ - I guess she works all night and sleeps all day. I guess we should pay another visit to the "tea shop" and take some "tea and company".

I've chatted to a few Thai ladies on Thai Love Links. The trouble is there's no QQ to get to know the girls on. If anyone is coming here to meet ladies, then make sure you have some solid leads before coming here, as 5 days in and I'm still date-less.

I've also been doing other stuff though, like fixing the hotel wifi, checking out courses and visas, and stuffing my face full of Western food.

By the way Everdred, let me know if you hear of anywhere that teaches languages and can sponsor a 1 or 3 year education visa. I'd like to continue with the Mandarin studies, but I'm not sure which places are legit.

Alternatively I might take the opportunity to do my CELTA or TESOL. The problem is they're mostly 1 month intensive courses but I'd rather do them over 3 months or more.

Anyway, Winston should definitely come here next. I'm sure he'd like to check out those bargain basement P4P options!!!

By the way, did I mention that Falcon made me eat some insects last night?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Photos! Photos!