Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Hong Kong trip report & lessons learned

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Hong Kong trip report & lessons learned

Postby momopi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:46 pm

I took over 800 photos, so please bear with me as I sort some for posting.

I'll start with "On Airport Lounges and flying". I flew EVA airlines, which is based in TW. The EVA lounge in Taiwan is large with a buffet station, very comfortable for layovers. I went to the "lesser" lounge to the left side of the entrance (the one on the right is for fliers with better card and they serve beef noodles). By buffet, I mean unlimited food and booze if you're into drinking. The alcohol is part of the self-served buffet (pour yourself):

In comparison, EVA shares a lounge with Virgin Atlantic in Hong Kong Airport, and the lounge is smaller and served mediocre food to order. Shrimp wonton noodles and cold sandwiches:

So if you’re going to pay $$$ to enjoy lounge services, don’t bother with EVA one in HK airport. On flying, first class seats are nice, reclines all the way with good leg room. However the airplane food is still equally bad. In economy you get bad microwaved dinners. In first class you get what is supposed to be sizzling udon with beef, but looks like something nuked from the microwave. Well, no surprise, being on the plane and all. Many of you from the US think you must discard food and drink before you board the plane, in Asia it’s perfectly fine to bring MOS burger in a bag through security on to the plane. Even a cold rice burger tastes better than airplane food. Also, you can get the same leg room if you sit in economy by the emergency exit – just ask for it. You’d save a lot of $$. Flying first class is like buying a brand new car. You should probably do it once or twice just for the happy experience, but it’s not really worth the money (or mileage upgrade).

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 pm

On dining out (part 1)

Geographically, Hong Kong has many hills and mountains, so the bulk of its population is crammed into just 25% of the territory. People live in shoebox sized flats and many lack adequate kitchen facilities, thus dining out is the norm.

One popular breakfast item is Nissin’s “出前一丁â€￾ instant noodle, served at breakfast tea café’s (茶餐订). The restaurants sometimes replace the soup with their own superior soup stock, and add fried egg (sunny side up), veggies, grilled SPAM, or other ingredients to the noodle. I did not order this so here’s a pic from the internet:

At the breakfast café where I had breakfast, the instant noodle with slice of grilled spam or fried egg sells for $23 HKD, or roughly $3 USD:

I prefer porridge with Chinese fried bread stick (youtiao) for breakfast:

Another popular Cantonese dish is clay pot rice. The first time that my Cantonese coworker introduced me to this dish, I saw him pour what appeared to be soy sauce over the rice and I asked “why are you eating rice like Caucasians?â€￾ It’s an old joke that whenever white people eat rice they pour soy sauce over it. In Los Angeles we do not have a good restaurant that serves this dish, it’s usually too dry and the sausages are sliced into smaller pieces, versus in Hong Kong the rice is better and they give you whole sausages:

The last pic above is fried oysters. Here are a few pics from the area:

Being in HK I had to at least try some Dim Sum. Unfortunately I may have went to the wrong place, the Dim Sum was “mehâ€￾:

The locals like sesame paste dessert (like what Phoenix serves in LA):
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Momopi, can you post pictures of popular foods in mainland China, so I can kinda have a clue of what I'm going to be eating in China? Thanks.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:27 pm

zboy1 wrote:Momopi, can you post pictures of popular foods in mainland China, so I can kinda have a clue of what I'm going to be eating in China? Thanks.

Where are you going in China? Local fare varies from region to region. I don't live in China but a few members here do. You should probably ask them.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby kai1275 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 pm

zboy1 wrote:Momopi, can you post pictures of popular foods in mainland China, so I can kinda have a clue of what I'm going to be eating in China? Thanks.

That question is tooooo broad. It strongly depends upon the region you will be in. Unless you go to a chain food place.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Postby xiongmao » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:59 am

The food in China is mostly terrible. Take a cast iron stomach. My stomach is so much better now I'm in Thailand.

Nice HK photos by the way. I love the fact they have free wifi in their airport!
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby momopi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Dining out in HK, part 2

Horror of horrors... have your relatives say "oh you're from California let us take you somewhere familiar..." and you find yourself in front of a Bubba Gump restaurant. >_> It's kind of like my ex in TW taking me out to eat and ordering kungpao chicken because "oh you're like ABC so let me order something that you can eat..."

"I want Cantonese food"
Nope, too common in HK, must go to Hakka restaurant. X_X

Hmm. Plate has built-in chopstix holder. Completely unnecessary (other than maybe cruise ships).

...now for some BBQ goose

Half order:

Found this posted in front, Help Wanted ad. Kitchen staff $10,000 HKD/month, Kitchen part-time helper $50 HKD/hour, Dishwasher (full-time) $9,600 HKD/month. For reference, $9,600 HKD = $1,237.70 USD.

Breakfast at porridge restaurant:

Fish balls (street food)
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby jboy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 pm

I've had that nissin's noodles and fried spam convo! Loved it that I still have it from time to time at home lol.

We need more of your posts here man. Glad to see you back.
jboy
Freshman Poster

Postby E Irizarry R&B Singer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:28 pm

OH GOT-DAMN. I'm so, so hungry now. I miss SEA!!!! Thanks, Momopi!! :-) :-)
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster

Postby smallcheese » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Haha, they took you to the Bubba Gump restaurant at the Peak? Hey it could have been worse. They could have taken you to one of the Ruby Tuesday restaurants here in HK. Or the Pizza Huts in Hong Kong. Just so you know, they have different pizzas in Hong Kong to cater to the local crowd. They believe that if they just add hoisin sauce to the pizza, that will make it great. :-)

I see that you went to Yung Kee in Central. A good place for roast goose or roast duck. That's what they're famous for.

If you're in HK for a little while, you should take a trip over to Macau. It's only a 1 hour jetfoil ride over and you'll feel like you're in a subsection of Las Vegas. The Venetian there is bigger than the one in Vegas. And the food there is really good, with many Michelin rated restaurants to choose from. And then there are the copious amounts of beautiful Asian women. :-)
smallcheese
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Random street scenes in HK

KFC Hong Kong breakfast menu

HK MRT (subway) station

Ice Cream van

Hmmm. I wonder if prescription is require to buy these

Yoshinoya's breakfast menu (see poster to right) - hamburger steak, egg fried with ham, bowl of noodles

A rare sight: empty MRT train (station @ end of line)

Traffic camera?

HK's MRT system with octopus card is very similar to Taipei's MRT. Considering that HK had theirs first, I think TW probably went to HK and studied their MRT system.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby colibri » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:59 pm

whoaaaaaa AMAZING ! :P
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.
colibri
Freshman Poster

Postby celery2010 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:21 am

Great pics. Post more!

You're not going to slip across the border where everything is 1/3 the price in HK? GZ is just a short 2.5 hour trip. (actually it's 30min plus 1hr 10 min, but you need time for the border crossing and connection.

HK is quite different from TW though. Not as nice IMO and a lot more expensive. However, it is a lot more exciting and cosmopolitan. Taipei is boring by comparison.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 am

Nice photos, it looks much the same as when I was there.

Gz is generally more expensive than HK - most mainlanders do border runs to stock up on food and stuff. And electronics and imported stuff is cheaper in HK.

Sure you can buy cheap stuff in Gz, like tainted food and kettles with handles that get so hot you can barely hold them!!!

The Octopus card is great, I used it to get buses and maybe even ferries. If you're there for a while Cheung Chau island is worth a visit.

I've heard it's expensive to get the metro all the way up to Lo Wu border crossing though.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Repatriate » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:21 am

I went to HK with my thai gf back in '07 and I remember how annoying it was to find a place to use the toilet. It's not like in Thailand where you can easily duck into one of many shopping centers or malls and find nice pristine bathrooms. In HK it was brutal in the evening trying to go through a maze of streets to find a place to poop.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Trip Reports, Travel Experiences, Expat Stories