Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar!
View Active Topics View Your Posts Latest 100 Topics Mobile Theme Dark Theme
Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.
I just met up with Dianne and Angelo in Pampanga, Philippines.
1. Dianne is an incredibly sweet, caring, and capable mother. Winston's not a 100% deadbeat dad, as Dianne says he gives her an allowance of a few hundred dollars per month so she could stay home to take care of Angelo. Dianne constantly refused to take my money, which I offered to reimburse her for her jeepney fares. In contrast, some of the Filipinas here can be ruthless money-grubbers.
2. Her laid-back personality won't turn Angelo into one of those fear-driven, zombie-like Taiwanese, haha. But she says that if she raises Angelo, she'll be sure to make sure he's not a "babaero" (womanizer) like his daddy, which she says might happen if Winston's around, haha.
3. Angelo, now 5 years old and in kindergarten, is a very quiet and well behaved child. Dianne says he's the best behaved boy in his class, which she's very proud of. Angelo is currently learning 3 languages simultaneously, which are Kapampangan (which he learns at home from Dianne), Tagalog (with peers and at school), and English. I speak to Angelo in both Tagalog and English. Angelo was also mesmerized by my map of the Philippines, and I taught him some place names in the Philippines.
4. She's indeed the monogamous type and talks a lot about how she misses Winston. Dianne says that she'd love to live in Baguio or maybe even Taiwan, as long as it's in nature.
5. Dianne is very supportive of what Winston does, and completely agrees with the basic points of Winston's movement. She just finds it hard to believe that Winston and I both can't completely get any girlfriends in the US.
6. I can also confirm that Dianne does indeed get looks from other Filipino guys while I was walking around with her and Angelo, so she's hot by Filipino standards as well. However, they always keep their distance, maybe partly because I'm a tall, athletic guy who often passes for "Tagalog" (a Pinoy from Manila; many folks from Manila are more Chinese-looking, and taller). Plus, I know Dianne's got the monogamous gene as well. She's not exactly the type I'd want to be in a relationship with, but she'd make a great friend.
7. Dianne is quite different from the women working in the bars here, in that she's actually born and raised in Angeles City and speaks Kapampangan as her native language. Most of the bar ladies are not even from Luzon Island, but rather are Visayans from places like Samar, Leyte, Cebu, and Mindanao. Most locals don't work long-term in the bars, and are economically better off than the migrants from the south. She's now 24 years old, which means Winston would have picked her up while she was a virgin at 18 or 19. I'm slightly younger than Dianne.
8. Rock and Dianne herself have confirmed that Dianne chose Winston because of his personality: funny, charming, insightful, and completely unlike most of the other not-so-charming "sexpats" and rich guys here. Having met Winston myself, I can attest to this as well.
9. Dianne does know about this thread, and of course she doesn't like how people here are constantly ridiculing her. She sticks to posting in the ladies' forum, which she moderates, but doesn't post on the guys' forum.
I got Dianne and Angelo a pasalubong (souvenir gift) which I bought at the Taipei airport: chocolate-covered dried longyan fruit. They both love chocolate.
Winston, maybe you should come back to live in the Philippines and move Dianne and Angelo over to Baguio? That would be much better than an isolated although convenient life in Las Vegas.
Last edited by Falcon on September 3rd, 2013, 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!
Special Offer! FREE 6 Month Membership on ForeignWomen.com! Sign up here.
Find Your Foreign Sweetheart Now! Try our International Dating Sites and Overseas Romance Tours!
ItÂ´s awesome how Falcon manages to learn so many languages and the names of places and history and this all while having a job. Very good Falcon. The advantage of Falcon is that he is very very grounded so he does not persue the uberhot girls who need a lot of maintenance.
This description of the epi-center of HA in Ph is a nice one though a little bit to good hearted but thatÂ´s how Falcon is.
Dianne had invited me to her aunt's house in Angeles City. When we met up, she had brought along Angelo and her nephew Dwayne, her sister's 3-year-old son. We hopped in a jeepney, and she even paid for my fare.
At home, Dianne made me puchero, basically a kind of chicken curry. Topped over rice, it was incredibly delicious, like Thai or Indonesian food.
With the kids, Dianne spoke to them mostly in Kapampangan, but also in some Tagalog and English. These kids are learning 3 languages at the same time, which can be quite normal in the Philippines, but unusual in the US. When she would tell the kids to eat, she'd say "mangan" (stressed on the last syllable).
Dianne showed me an ASUS laptop that that Winston had bought for her, as well as her Wifi equipment she uses to log onto HappierAbroad. The connection is kind of slow and spotty. Much of the time the kids are using the computer to watch movies.
Angelo often gets full scores on his homework. Dianne says he's a smart kid, just like his daddy.
We looked at some photos of Winston. When Dianne asked Angelo who that was, Angelo shouted out, "Babaero!" (meaning "playboy" or "womanizer").
Angelo (left), Dianne (center), and Dwayne (right). Doesn't Angelo's pose and facial expression look so much like Winston's? Haha. He really is a "Mini-Winston."
Homework time for Angelo Wu
More of Dianne's relatives
Angelo proudly browsing his daddy's website
HappierAbroad office, Philippines branch
Jeepney ride on the hot, dusty roads of Pampanga Province
They all miss you so much Winston. Please come back soon!
Pah, I'd eat the chocolate and throw the vile fruit away.
I'd also like to know Falcon's secret of learning languages. He appeared fluent in Thai, yet I've been here and know less than a dozen words. I guess we have different brains though, as I did self-teach myself fluency in C# and half a dozen other programming languages.
Little acts of kindness can mean a lot to people. Instead of focusing on your own selfish interests, being a little more generous can make your own life so much happier.
I'm leaving for Manila tomorrow. Pupunta ako sa Maynila bukas. So, I guess I'll be seeing Mr. S and hopefully Mguy there too.
Which OOA/OOD language if your favorite?
C# is mine, but MATHLAB looks very interesting!
Arent the citizenship laws that the wife married or not who has a child from a American can be a usa citizen when child is 18? or if the couple are married in the pi? I am not sure if they can be a usa citizen if married to a usa citizen in the pi? In the usa child support is mandatory married or not.
Yes he can. This has already been discussed at length in another thread:
But why would I want to make him a US citizen? First, there is a risk in that the US government could force me to pay unreasonable amounts of child support and get on my case. I don't like government interfering in private life.
Second, we all know that growing up in the US nowadays is not good, for many reasons. As you can see in the photos above, they look happy, natural and playful. In the US, they would be repressed, spoiled, and have a bad attitude. Why would I want that? Do you think they would be happier in a degenerate culture where bad is good and good is bad?
Plus school bullying is rampant in the US. In contrast, school bullying is NONEXISTANT in the Philippines.
Here is a weird inverse. Figure it out if you can:
In the Philippines, people say that they're unhappy because they don't have enough money, yet they LOOK and ACT happy, cheerful, joyful, playful and have relaxed smiles. In contrast, in the USA, people say that they're happy, yet they LOOK and ACT depressed, grumpy, angry, irritable, deflated, tired, stressed, paranoid and unfriendly.
Figure that one out if you can.
Last edited by Winston on September 3rd, 2013, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!
Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!
"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne