Winston's Parents' Trip Report from Japan

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

I don't know much about it, but my understanding is that the Japanese military in the '30s cultivated a culture of blood-thirsty ruthlessness. I had not thought this necessarily extended to Japanese civilian culture.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

In general Japan is a nice place for living, I am living here since 1976, originally from Europe. No intention to go back to my native country.
Luc Furr
Freshman Poster

Post by Luc Furr »

A tourist never gets to know the real Japan. It is completely different from how it appears but really that is true of all countries, isn't it. I guess we could say the same about people.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Yohan wrote:In general Japan is a nice place for living, I am living here since 1976, originally from Europe. No intention to go back to my native country.
Are you or have you been married to a Japanese lady?

Do you socialize with Japanese folks while speaking Japanese?

Or more with mixed couples, expats, etc?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Jester wrote: Are you or have you been married to a Japanese lady?

Do you socialize with Japanese folks while speaking Japanese?

Or more with mixed couples, expats, etc?
I am married to a Japanese woman since 1976 and we have 2 daughters, and I was living before together with a Malaysian Chinese girl for a few years around 1972.

Yes, I speak and read Japanese fluently, but I am a white man from Europe, not of mixed race.

I am quite busy, not retired yet, time is always a problem. Yes, I have some contacts, not so much however, with Japanese people, and also with some other expats, mixed couples, this is mostly related to my job and people I know from my workplace and hobbies like radioamateur (mostly technicians from USA) - but most contacts I have with Philippine people, as I support my Filipina fosterdaughter since over 10 years.