Hola from the DR

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Dark_Sol
Freshman Poster

Hola from the DR

Post by Dark_Sol »

Hey guys, been about 4 months since I've been on. Here in Sosua and it's pointless here, but outside is good. Seems it is true universally, farther away you are from large clumps of expats the better. Too much scum here. Hot girls, but don't expect to get a girlfriend in Sosua. I had more luck getting girls outside in Rio San Juan, Cabrera, and Puerto Plata. Cost of living wise, better bet outside. Cheapest I found in sosua was an apartment, 10000- most 17000. Food, hamburger meat for 60-100 peso per lb. Beef cuts, 90-150. Pork, 85-120. giant jugs water 200 first time and 50 after returning the jugs. Electricity is about 500-600. But one word of warning, most expat are scum here. I will tell you 3 guys who are scum. 2 Brothers Robert and Arturo Elmore. Robert claim he is SF and was caught in trying to get in the pants of a 14 year old girl who was the hotel owners daughter. Then sleeping with a widow who husband died not even a month( she was german trash and the husband was really good guy. She is the shining example of feminism.) The other is a fast talking scam artist, he introduce me to his girlfriend's daughter and really tried hard to get me to sleep with her. She was 14 yrs old and he claimed she was 18. I was cautious around them and I exposed them on being scum. Now one returned to the US, Texas I heard. The other is a guy David, guy use to have money but not anymore. Mooches off you and when he gets money you had to question how. Well, I left my camera in his car and it ended up missing, so it is in a pawn shop somewhere and I can't do shit about it. There is no law here really that protects the tourists.

I beg you guys not to come to sosua, seriously. Puerto Plata is a place with few expats and more normal girls if you want other english speaking people . I met some good girls in sosua, who married into bad relationships, both Dominican and expats. Rent I found outside of sosua is 6000-8000 for a 2 bedroom apartment, non furnished. Food, utilities and much more is cheaper. Then learn when each towns fiesta is, I was in Cabrera and had so much girls eye raping me during the fiesta it felt like I was about to get raped any moment. I'll post more in time.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I'm glad you are having a good time in DR, Dark Sol! Puerto Plata is s really nice place! Lots of pretty girls when I was there in 2009. Had a sexy hotel employee flirting with me during the whole time I was there!

I wouldn't mind living there one day--if I only knew Spanish and had a means of income somehow. ...
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Hola from the DR

Post by Rock »

Dark_Sol wrote:Hey guys, been about 4 months since I've been on. Here in Sosua and it's pointless here, but outside is good. Seems it is true universally, farther away you are from large clumps of expats the better. Too much scum here. Hot girls, but don't expect to get a girlfriend in Sosua. I had more luck getting girls outside in Rio San Juan, Cabrera, and Puerto Plata. Cost of living wise, better bet outside. Cheapest I found in sosua was an apartment, 10000- most 17000. Food, hamburger meat for 60-100 peso per lb. Beef cuts, 90-150. Pork, 85-120. giant jugs water 200 first time and 50 after returning the jugs. Electricity is about 500-600. But one word of warning, most expat are scum here. I will tell you 3 guys who are scum. 2 Brothers Robert and Arturo Elmore. Robert claim he is SF and was caught in trying to get in the pants of a 14 year old girl who was the hotel owners daughter. Then sleeping with a widow who husband died not even a month( she was german trash and the husband was really good guy. She is the shining example of feminism.) The other is a fast talking scam artist, he introduce me to his girlfriend's daughter and really tried hard to get me to sleep with her. She was 14 yrs old and he claimed she was 18. I was cautious around them and I exposed them on being scum. Now one returned to the US, Texas I heard. The other is a guy David, guy use to have money but not anymore. Mooches off you and when he gets money you had to question how. Well, I left my camera in his car and it ended up missing, so it is in a pawn shop somewhere and I can't do shit about it. There is no law here really that protects the tourists.

I beg you guys not to come to sosua, seriously. Puerto Plata is a place with few expats and more normal girls if you want other english speaking people . I met some good girls in sosua, who married into bad relationships, both Dominican and expats. Rent I found outside of sosua is 6000-8000 for a 2 bedroom apartment, non furnished. Food, utilities and much more is cheaper. Then learn when each towns fiesta is, I was in Cabrera and had so much girls eye raping me during the fiesta it felt like I was about to get raped any moment. I'll post more in time.
Why waste your time in Sosua when you could be in the capital? You really gotta watch those Dominican deportees from the States who speak American English. Some can be a great help but a lot of them are true criminals.

When I consider DR vs. Phils., the sense I get is that the criminals and scammers are a lot more aggressive and fearless in DR. In Phils., there guards everywhere as long as you stick to the better areas. And Filipinos are just a lot softer and timid. In DR, you can get robbed about anywhere anytime (except in places like malls, hotels, etc.).
Dark_Sol
Freshman Poster

Post by Dark_Sol »

It is the expats I would be more cautious then the Dominican. With the Dominican, it is easy to tell they are scamming you. the 2 brothers I met were Americans, but lived in the DR for years. But I have to say, the women here is nerve wrecking and boggles the mind sometimes. When they tell you they don't have a boyfriend or husband, there is a chance they have one. They get really jealous, I mean really. God forbid if you are dating one and you look at a hot woman. She will hit you and want to kill that woman.
Another is that some are not that fun to talk to. Flirting yes, but intellectual, no.

Well, you don't need a residential visa here, just come in and stay. When you leave, you pay a fine. For 1 year is around 100 usd.
Seduction Sebi
Freshman Poster

Post by Seduction Sebi »

I want to travel to the dominican republic in the near future and see how those girls are. Do you have any experiences with dominicancupid.com?
Dark_Sol
Freshman Poster

Post by Dark_Sol »

secret for Dominicancupid and other dating sites for DR women. Just PM me, cause I just realized that it can ruin our chance for finding good girls by douchebags.
Last edited by Dark_Sol on February 18th, 2014, 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Hows the US dollar fare there as far as its power, i believe its at around 43 pesos per 1 USD
Dark_Sol
Freshman Poster

Post by Dark_Sol »

Yup, some places you can get that rate, the airport will try to rip you off. Stick with 42.8-43. Street guys are out of the question, go for cambio stores and ask the rate first.
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

I'm pretty sure you can live on $1,000 USD a month there, i was there for 3 weeks in July mainly in the Santiago area
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

well-informed wrote:I'm pretty sure you can live on $1,000 USD a month there, i was there for 3 weeks in July mainly in the Santiago area
It's definitely cheapest I've seen in Caribbean - a lot cheaper than Jamaica, Cuba, or even Haiti and for a better quality of life.

Monthly expense depends a lot on your rent and how much you go out for fun. But 1,500 Pesos a day (including rent, utilities, Internet, and cable) is really cutting it to the bone. I'm pretty sure if I lived there, I would not feel very comfortable on much less than twice that amount.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Dark_Sol wrote:secret for Dominicancupid and other dating sites for DR women. Just PM me, cause I just realized that it can ruin our chance for finding good girls by douchebags.
See. More dudes are waking up to not "dropping cointelpro" information on these public sites. I appreciate the fact that you caught yourself on that, unlike most of the guys whom happen to be ingrates over there at RooshV forums.